Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

The NOTAM for today :

So it looks like the test flight was for 25 km. Then the payload was ejected from the launch vehicle.

These were the New projects DRDO as shown in 2018 in Lok Sabha by Nirmala Sitharaman(who follows us on twitter :ROFLMAO: ) :
View attachment 18093
View attachment 18094
Most projects have kept pace with the allotted time. There must be a few more tests coming up very soon. May be the NASM AShM.

Its not Shaurya. Look at the photos you can see the fins on the missile. The Shaurya's characteristic trapezoidal fin is missing. Also it makes little sense to lob torpedos at hypersonic speeds. You have to slow down before the torpedo to subsonic speeds before hits the water. Else it will be broken to bits.

They will be ship mounted, like the American ASROC. These will make it to destroyers, frigates & ASW corvettes. Some land applications may be there, but sea based deployment provides far greater flexibility of mission.

This US system has a Range of 22 KM

So at long ranges ,against a Moving submarine , Target Acquisition will be a Challenge

It would be too bulky for ship-based deployment if based on the Shaurya in the first place. Though even in these pics it looks quite a bit larger than the VL-ASROC.
It has to be bigger. Its range is ridiculously high compared to the ASROC

This US system has a Range of 22 KM

So at long ranges ,against a Moving submarine , Target Acquisition will be a Challenge
Challenging yes. But we do have some very effective submarine detection platforms.

Reactions: RISING SUN

I am saying that Tracking the Target for a Longer Range would be challenging

The Concept is very interesting

After all its a Moving target

So the Torpedo will require continuous Radar or Sonar guidance

You'll have to accommodate it on a destroyer maybe. Brahmos VLS maybe ?
Naval VLS confuse me. If the idea is to turn the Brahmos VLS into UVLS then why come up with a new VLS for the VL-SAM ?
I am saying that Tracking the Target for a Longer Range would be challenging

After all its a Moving target

So the Torpedo will require continuous Radar or Sonar guidance
This is probably where the new Reaper and Guardian drones come in. Or maybe the idea is to have Kamortas & P-8Is to the detection and tracking. The engagement can be done from shore. I don't know, we will see I guess.

Tracking submarine is a completely different subject but what action we will take after if we track it, This firepower can be executed seconds after the submarine is tracked.

The Deployment will take many more tests in different conditions, to see how far can the target be tracked successfully

Submarines also deploy Towed Decoys
To misguide the Torpedoes

To play the devil's advocate, how are ships normally alerted to incoming torpedos? What difference would it then make whether the torpedo is launched 60 kms away or 600 kms? Plus there's the towed decoys to contend with too.Isn't a highly maneouvrable missile whether ballistic or cruise travelling at supersonic or hypersonic speeds more effective in achieving a kill as compared to a torpedo whether SMART or not ?

To play the devil's advocate, how are ships normally alerted to incoming torpedos?
Active sonars if they are sensetive enough can hear a torpedo coming from around 20-25 kms.
Passive Sonars using the torpedoes homing sonar signal can detect torpedoes at ranges around 10-15 kms.

But as always its highly case specific.
What difference would it then make whether the torpedo is launched 60 kms away or 600 kms?
Stand off targeting ability is a major boon. It allows you to target the enemy without being in danger yourself. Why do you think we insist on increasing the range of Brahmos AShM ? Its not any faster than before and will anyway be a pain in the backside to stop. Because long ranges allow standoff targeting which in turn complicates enemy's plan of attack/defence.
Plus there's the towed decoys to contend with too
Towed decoy and torpedo hard-kill options are always there. This is always a race, if the torpedo is fast enough it will win.
Isn't a highly maneouvrable missile whether ballistic or cruise travelling at supersonic or hypersonic speeds more effective in achieving a kill as compared to a torpedo whether SMART or not ?
Kill a sub with a ballistic missile ? WTF !! Ballistic missiles aren't accurate enough for this role. Cruise missiles are accurate, but what do you do if the submarine is underwater ? Blow up a massive explosive over it ? The Americans tried that, they even tried nukes. The US Navy weren't impressed with its effectiveness vs. the money spent on each of them.

Hence torpedoes are the preferred weapon for sub hunting world over.

Kill a sub with a ballistic missile ? WTF !! Ballistic missiles aren't accurate enough for this role. Cruise missiles are accurate, but what do you do if the submarine is underwater ? Blow up a massive explosive over it ? The Americans tried that, they even tried nukes. The US Navy weren't impressed with its effectiveness vs. the money spent on each of them.

Hence torpedoes are the preferred weapon for sub hunting world over.
Are you making a special attempt to play BMD these days Or is it coming naturally to you? Is the SMART developed to target ships or subs? Didn't I mention ships in my post? Where did you read subs in it?

The Deployment will take many more tests in different conditions, to see how far can the target be tracked successfully

Submarines also deploy Towed Decoys
To misguide the Torpedoes
Agree about the deployment, But when you are 1000 KM away from the enemy you have no idea what is coming your way. Not sure about towed decoy if it will active all the time it may give your position to the enemy similar to Sonar so activating sonar is also having a downside.

Reactions: RISING SUN
Are you making a special attempt to play BMD these days Or is it coming naturally to you?
I think you have spent too much time with him. You see him everywhere. Is this love ? @BMD pls take note.
Is the SMART developed to target ships or subs?
Subs. Why is this even a question ? What is the full form of SMART ?
Didn't I mention ships in my post? Where did you read subs in it?
I thought it was a slip of tongue. Surely you know the SMART is for ASW role.

I think you have spent too much time with him. You see him everywhere. Is this love ? @BMD pls take note.

Subs. Why is this even a question ? What is the full form of SMART ?

I thought it was a slip of tongue. Surely you know the SMART is for ASW role.
I was under the impression it was for ships. Got mixed up juggling work & posting here. Thanks for the clarification.

@Chain Smoker you may be right. I got it wrong. Many people seem to believe the missile has Shaurya pedigree.

In the recent Shaurya test we were told the new version is sleeker and lighter. But we didn't get any photos. Maybe this is the new version. As such @Amal 's suggestion of UVLS makes more sense

This guy is from USNWC,so reliable enough.
Maybe another indicator that a SOSUS like system is installed or currently being installed?

Attachments

• 20201005_181543.jpg
    20201005_181543.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 226