Indian Nuclear Attack Submarine (Project 77) - Updates & Discussions

Extra! extra! 😈

Nook sub cleared for production per news

Awesome news.

One thing which was interesting to note was the number of Arihant class was mentioned as 5 instead of 4. So one more has been sanctioned to not keep the production line idle till S-5 technologically matures. By the time the last Arihant i.e 5th one hits the water CCS will give approval for S-5 class.

Awesome news.

One thing which was interesting to note was the number of Arihant class was mentioned as 5 instead of 4. So one more has been sanctioned to not keep the production line idle till S-5 technologically matures. By the time the last Arihant i.e 5th one hits the water CCS will give approval for S-5 class.
4 subs is the very minimal number to have a persistance at sea. It is the GB and french case.
5 is more confortable.

This handle is now generating fake news just to gain reach. No one is reporting anything like that.

Our SSN won't have VL tubes. Hypersonics are not relevant or necessary.
Sorry to have posted.

I was on gaurd yesterday with Italian F35 exercise with Indian Navy.. turned out true.

I guess I ll block it so that I won't get attracted to the unconfirmed contents again.

Sorry to have posted.

I was on gaurd yesterday with Italian F35 exercise with Indian Navy.. turned out true.

I guess I ll block it so that I won't get attracted to the unconfirmed contents again.
Its actually not that hard to verify things. If its services related stuff like exercise, check navy SM accounts. They must have posted it. If its some govt related stuff, check Press Information Bureau . Every news agency takes presses release verbatim. There are only handful of journalists who all get informations like CCS clearance like info coming from MoD.

Twitter accounts like this take actual truthful news and add spice to reach a wider audience.

After years of delays, Indian Govt finally kicks off homegrown project to deliver what the Indian Navy needs above all else -- nuclear-powered attack submarines.

10000 tons displacement for our first attempt at SSN is really impressive. Experience gained from our SSBN project should have helped here too, I wager.
150 MW or 190 MW reactor. 10000 ton suggests 150 MW by common sense, and also, 150 MW means just doubling our existing submarine reactor capacity. 190 MW means jumping to russian technology. I would be happy to hear from you guys.

10,000 tons displacement
190 MW LWR
10-12 years

Seems we obtained blue prints of Akula.

Attachments

• RDT_20241011_1047251578820211998515886.png
    RDT_20241011_1047251578820211998515886.png
    896 KB · Views: 29
10,000 tons displacement
190 MW LWR
10-12 years

Seems we obtained blue prints of Akula.
I highly doubt this as SSBN project is much higher priority compared to SSN, hence if we are going for 10k tons displacement, it should be SSBN project first.

A hypothesis is that next generation baseline SSBN project is already in the works and SSN project will follow the same line. But that's a big if. Else we might be looking at something of Rubis class SSN type with lower rates powerplant.

We probably are working on some amalgamation of Russian, Western (French) and Indian technology & manufacturing for the SSN project.
From any baseline legacy platform, we will easily outdo Russians today. Whatever comes out will be better than atleast the best Russians will have then for sure.
Disagree. We will take some time to reach there.
A touch of Yasen would be nice
Or French Safran class?

More likely Integration facilities. My friend involved in making of nuclear submarine told me that cells (what they called it) are manufactured at L & T facility at Hazira are transported to Vizag for integration.
Well Hazira is their main mfg unit that does all the big jobs. Its also the convenient modular approach for heavy engg like this. LT showed a small video on Hazira during the 2021 event. They also have the AIP integration & test facility there.

From any baseline legacy platform, we will easily outdo Russians today. Whatever comes out will be better than atleast the best Russians will have then for sure.
At the end of the Cold War, the Russians scrapped several dozen N-subs with US funding (nuclear radiation hazard). However, they have since rebuilt their submarine arm into a world-class force.

Even at the cost of large surface ships (no replacement for Kirov/Moskva class in sight), their N-sub production lines continue to hum. They are already planning a 5G SSN design called Husky.

Unlikely they will share cutting-edge tech with anybody, including India. These are their crown jewels.

Rumours say that the IN wanted to lease a Yasen for Chakra-3 but the request was turned down by the Russians.

Or French Safran class?

I'd be glad if that were possible. To me, a 10,000t hull suggests a large, double-hulled sub of the Russian mould. A bigger hull means better quieting, more weapons and better crew facilities so no complaints. The Yasen is a more refined design than Akula.

Scaling a Suffren hull to 10,000t would not be practical (unless France wanted to share insights on their next-gen SNLE-3G missile sub - bigger boat based on Suffren) or cost-effective.

I wouldn't be surprised if the basic design for our SSN had been frozen already.

Last edited: