Indian Railways Junction

Train 20 or even Train 18. They are in a bit of trouble as of now.

But in the interim, its being planned to used WAP5 H locomotives (1 at each end of a 12-16 coach long rake) with 160km/hr rated LHB coaches in trains like Shatabdi.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
But we need to know something really important.

1. Goods : Its what drives the profits in railways.

The most profitable zone per kilometer of track in Indian Railways is South Eastern Railways. (Mostly connects Kolkata to South and East Jharkhand and north Odisha). Reason, the profits from transportation of iron ore, coal and bauxite from the region.

The most non profitable zone in Indian Railways is Northern Railways (Centered around New Delhi). Coz 90% plus of its operations is passenger trains. Its losses are actually twice the profits generated in mining rich zones.

And one more thing.

The highest percentage of double electrified tracks in India is under South Eastern Railways too.

Its Good which matters.

Here is where DFCs will play a huge role in cutting up losses incurred in Ganga Plains and Delhi-Mumbai passenger routes.

2. Passenger duties in India in next 10 years will be for. (This is my opinion unlike no1)
a. Business men who will want to save 2-3 hours they spend travelling to and fro from Airports. We will need high speed trains for them. For regions like Mumbai to Ahmedabad (Bullet Train) , then Chennai to Bangalore, Vizag to Hyderabad, etc.

b. The lower middle class and the poor of India.
We need to run subsided trains with basic amenities, max speed of 130kmph but high acceleration.

The middle and upper middle class will move to Air Travel. Simply becoz that's something now coming within their grasps.

For example, i have daily 3-4 flights from Ranchi to Bangalore, taking 2 hours and costing around 4000 INR (if you book 15-20 days ahead, which a average middle class Travels by imo) compared to 2 trains in 7 days, taking atleast 40 hours and costing me upto 3000 (3AC ticket and then add Food, water, etc). This is the trend.

We have 5000 Diesel locomotive strong fleet. Plus 1000 General Electric locomotives on order. To reduce this fleet.
Those 1000 GE locos will replace the 5000 older WDGs ? And the 5000 WDGs will be converted to WAGs(if they have usable life of course) ? Didn't Piyush Goyal say the GE WDGs are for "back up", what's that about ?

After that it was decided
1. To order no more diesel locomotives (Sadly by then the deal for 1000 locomotives with GE was signed) , so EMD series (WDP4 and WDG4) are no longer in production. (Some powerplants and reliance have around half a dozen more on order, but not for Indian Railways).

2. Diesel locomotives going for a full overhaul (after 15 years of service) and still having a minimum life of 10-15 years, will be converted to Electric. So we have 2 primary family of diesel Electrics. The Alco family and the EMD family.
The Alco family are now old. Only the WDM 3D versions and some WDG3 locomotives are new. So these locomotives will be converted from 3100hp+3100hp to 5000hp+5000hp locomotives.

And the EMD family, most of whom are new. Will be converted from 4000hp+4000hp to 6000hp+6000hp.

The primary difference between WAG11 and WAG12 is, that WAG12 is contemporary technology.
While in WAG11 we are using the technology we are using to build WAG9 series since 20 years.

And its not logistics which is the problem. 50% of Railways locomotives fleet is diesel, that is the problem.
Thank you for the long reply. What I picked up from all that is that IR is going for large scale electrification & there is going to be a ramp up in speed of all trains across all categories. The question is how much ?
How much of the IR's current fleet is going to be replaced by electric locos ?
What is the estimated average and maximum speed we are looking at from our trains in the long run ?

Train 20 or even Train 18. They are in a bit of trouble as of now.

But in the interim, its being planned to used WAP5 H locomotives (1 at each end of a 12-16 coach long rake) with 160km/hr rated LHB coaches in trains like Shatabdi.
Which brings me back to the speed question. Are there any proposed/planned train in India that is going to have a speed of over 200 km/hr ? In the recent years we seem to be buzzing around 130-180 km/hr but never over 200.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Those 1000 GE locos will replace the 5000 older WDGs ? And the 5000 WDGs will be converted to WAGs(if they have usable life of course) ? Didn't Piyush Goyal say the GE WDGs are for "back up", what's that about ?
The GE WDGs of evolution series are actually the most fuel efficient, most modern tech and reliable locomotives. The EMD in USA has nothing to compete with this directly.

Out of 1000 GE Evolution series, around 300-400 will be of 6000hp rating used only for Dedicated Freight Corridors (it will take time to electrify all at once) and remaining 600+ 4400hp rating locomotives will be used to replace a part of Alco fleet which will retire in large numbers by 2025.

We are roughly aiming to bring down 5000 Electric and 5000 diesel locomotives fleet to 8000 Electric and 2500 Diesel locomotives by 2025.

PS: The GE Evolution Series Cab compared to our fastest Electric Locomotive WAP5 Cab is like a modern F16 cockpit compared to non upgraded Mig29 cockpit. Even the older EMD series has 3 MFDs compared to just 1 in our most modern Electric locomotives. The Americans actually focus on interiors and comfort everywhere. While French (in railways), from where our Electric locomotives first came meant pure business on high reliability and ruggedness.

Thank you for the long reply. What I picked up from all that is that IR is going for large scale electrification & there is going to be a ramp up in speed of all trains across all categories. The question is how much ?
How much of the IR's current fleet is going to be replaced by electric locos ?
What is the estimated average and maximum speed we are looking at from our trains in the long run ?

There again are a lot of things.
Our trains in general are actually underpowered. A 24 coach long ICF rake pulled by a 5000hp WAP4 is now being replaced by much much lighter 22 coach long LHB rake pulled by a 5000hp WAP4 or 6000hp WAP7.

This means a huge improvement in acceleration. That is where Railways is looking to save time.

All short distance trains (less than 7-8 hours) which are conventionally a 3850hp WAG5 locomotive pulling a 8-16 coach long rake will be replaced by a MEMU Train Sets (say 130km/hr no frills version of Train 18) , by doing so Railways aims to cut down upto 45 minutes atleast and further reduce operation costs with enhanced safety.

Then there are a lot of variables and other developing stories/plans too. Which i would suggest to read from the IRFCA forums. Articles there will be more accurate.

Seems a new feature. Just check your spam folder after 24 hours once.
Plus i am not much into the technical aspects of Railways. For that we used to have @anant_s sir here. No longer active. He worked for a NPP, seems he's got a bit busy now. Before he was active on PDF and Older Forum too. If he someday appears back here, he's the one to ask anything related to Indian Railways or Nuclear Power or Power Plants in general.

The middle and upper middle class will move to Air Travel. Simply becoz that's something now coming within their grasps.

For example, i have daily 3-4 flights from Ranchi to Bangalore, taking 2 hours and costing around 4000 INR (if you book 15-20 days ahead, which a average middle class Travels by imo) compared to 2 trains in 7 days, taking atleast 40 hours and costing me upto 3000 (3AC ticket and then add Food, water, etc). This is the trend.
I believe high speed rail will be preferred option for up to 1200 km or 5 hrs of travel time. Most of the airports are getting saturated and will move out of the city within next 10-15 years. In that case even though air travel time is 1 to 1.5 hrs, end to end travel will be 6-7 hrs. For example, Bangalore to Hyderbad takes at least 6 hrs by air ( Home to airport, boarding time, travel time, baggage collection, airport to home) which I could match by road if I start early in the morning. More over, bullet train covers most important cities on the way which is not possible by air. For example a Chennai- Kolkata bullet train (should take around 7 hrs) can cover Viijaywada, Rajmundry, Vizag, Cuttack, Bhubaneswar. Having point to point air connectivity is not practical for all these cities.

• Agree
I believe high speed rail will be preferred option for up to 1200 km or 5 hrs of travel time. Most of the airports are getting saturated and will move out of the city within next 10-15 years. In that case even though air travel time is 1 to 1.5 hrs, end to end travel will be 6-7 hrs. For example, Bangalore to Hyderbad takes at least 6 hrs by air ( Home to airport, boarding time, travel time, baggage collection, airport to home) which I could match by road if I start early morning. More over, bullet train covers most important cities on the way which is not possible. For example a Chennai- Kolkata bullet train (should take around 7 hrs) can cover Viijaywada, Rajmundry, Vizag, Cuttack, Bhubaneswar. Having point to point air connectivity is not practical for all these cities.
That's one point too. But a lot of addition we are going to see in civil aviation will be from Tier 2 cities.

But i agree to one point. We need to have Metro connectivity from Airport to city center in every major Metro. It takes me 2 hours from BLR airport to get to my Hostel 40+ km away. Thats the amount of time I spend airbrone from Ranchi to Bangalore. A metro to city center can cut down the travel time to 45 minutes and save atleast 100-150 per person.

• Agree
That's one point too. But a lot of addition we are going to see in civil aviation will be from Tier 2 cities.

But i agree to one point. We need to have Metro connectivity from Airport to city center in every major Metro. It takes me 2 hours from BLR airport to get to my Hostel 40+ km away. Thats the amount of time I spend airbrone from Ranchi to Bangalore. A metro to city center can cut down the travel time to 45 minutes and save atleast 100-150 per person.
Yes. A metro connectivity is a must. But India is densely populated and many of our tier 2/3 cities are located within 300-500 kms of each other. For them high speed and semi high speed train is far better option than air connectivity. I travel a lot in Europe and I prefer train over flight for the same reasons I mentioned earlier.

Indian Railways manufacture high speed engine touching 180 km/hour
Indian Railways has manufactured high speed locomotive touching a speed of 180 km per hour. The engine was developed under the 'Make in India' initiative in West Bengal's Chittaranjan Locomotive Works. This was shared by railway minister Piyush Goyal on microblogging site Twitter.

“Railways has manufactured a high speed locomotive in West Bengal's Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, achieving a top speed of 180km/hr. This new locomotive produced under 'Make In India' initiative, will speed up trains like never before. Watch the video,” he tweeted.

The attached a video in the tweet show the engine's loco speed touching 179.8 km/hr.

India's fastest train, Vande Bharat Express or Train 18, hit 180 kmph during its trial run on February 1. The train has been manufactured by Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, under the 'Make in India' initiative and is the country's first engineless train. It is expected to replace the Shatabdi trains and runs between Delhi and Varanasi.

Following the success of India’s first semi-high speed train Train 18, the Indian Railways is also planning to add more such train sets to its network. The Union Ministry of Railways has been holding important consultations in this regard with key train set manufacturers.

With a view to increasing speed of trains in Indian Railways, ‘Mission Raftaar’ was announced in the Railway Budget 2016-17. The mission envisages a target of doubling of the average speed of freight trains and increasing the average speed of all non-suburban passenger trains by 25 kmph in the next five years. Increasing the speed will ensure upto 60 per cent increase in the average speed of passenger trains and the doubling of an average speed of freight traffic.
Indian Railways manufacture high speed engine touching 180 km/hour

Some good news !!

More Vande Bharat Express trains soon! Indian Railways readies new tender guidelines for semi-high speed train

By: Devanjana Nag | Published: August 16, 2019 1:29:12 PM

At present, Indian Railways is gearing up for the launch of second Vande Bharat Express, meanwhile, the process to bring in the next batches of the Train 18 trainsets has gone through a shift.
express-photo-600.jpg

The second Vande Bharat Express or Train 18 will run between Delhi and Katra.

Vande Bharat Express defines the changing aspirations of people in India, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Independence Day 2019 speech from Red Fort. However, even as the Delhi-Varanasi Vande Bharat Express continues to register high occupancy, the production of Train 18 has come to a halt. This is due to a change in tender processes by Piyush Goyal-led Railway Ministry. At present, Indian Railways is gearing up for the launch of second Vande Bharat Express, meanwhile, the process to bring in the next batches of the Train 18 trainsets has gone through a shift, according to an IE report.

Instead of procuring the next batch of Vande Bharat Express trainsets the same way as the first two trainsets, Piyush Goyal-led Railway Ministry has decided to go for standardizing the components that go into making the product. According to the report, after meeting vendors as well as other industry players, the Research Design and Standard Organisation (RDSO) is preparing standards and specifications of the subsequent trainsets that are to be manufactured under Modi government’s ambitious Make in India programme.

A senior ministry official was quoted in the report saying that once this process is complete, the tender will be floated, following which industry can participate as per the specifications laid out for the new Vande Bharat Express trainsets. He also said that it is being ensured that the specifications do not end up favouring any one particular vendor.

In his Independence Day speech, PM Modi said that the citizens of India are no longer content with just a railway station or line. The thinking of the public has changed. Earlier, they were happy with merely an idea to set up a station, but now they ask- when will Vande Bharat Express come to my area, the minister said. People of the country do not want only good railway stations or bus stands. Now, they ask when is a good airport coming, Modi added.

The second Vande Bharat Express or Train 18 is likely to run between Delhi and Katra. The train is expected to reduce the travel time between the two cities to just eight hours as against the current 12 hours.

More Vande Bharat Express trains soon! Indian Railways readies new tender guidelines for semi-high speed train

‘Plastic Free Railway’: Indian Railways To Enforce Ban On Single-Use Plastics Across Units From 2 October

by Swarajya Staff - Aug 21 2019, 4:29 pm
jpg.jpg

Representative image. [Courtesy : Indian Railways]

Keeping up with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call for eliminating the menace of plastic waste, Indian Railways has directed all its units to enforce a ban on single use plastics, with less than 50 micron thickness, from 2 October 2019, the Railways Ministry has said in a press release.

The Railways has made the announcement prior to the date to ensure that the vendors can switch to alternatives so that passengers are not inconvenienced. All vendors are to avoid use of plastic carry bags from the said date.

Towards the drive, IRCTC will implement return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility while plastic bottle crushing machines will also be provided expeditiously for other vendors.

The Railways has also directed its staff to reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and to use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint. Railways will also take up Information, Education & Communication (IEC) measures to create awareness among railway users as part of the drive against plastics.

‘Plastic Free Railway’: Indian Railways To Enforce Ban On Single-Use Plastics Across Units From 2 October

Delhi To Mumbai In 10 Hours With Mission Raftaar, Rajdhani Express' Speed Increased To 160kmph.

by Priyanshi Mathur
Updated: Aug 21, 2019, 16:21 IST

Passengers travelling between from Delhi to Mumbai on the Rajdhani express will soon be able to reach their destination faster than ever before.

Western Railways has confirmed that the travel time on the Delhi-Mumbai route will be reduced by 5.5 hours since Rajdhani train speed will be increased from 130 kmph to 160 kmph.

rajdhani_express_1566381430_725x725.jpg

Twitter

“After approval of the Central Govt, Mumbai - Delhi route will be upgraded to run Rajdhani Express at 160 kmph to cut the travel time to nearly 10 hrs, under #MissionRaftaar,” the Western Railways has tweeted.

Under its 100-day action plan, Indian Railways reduced the travel time on the Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Howrah routes. Mission Raftaar was first announced in the Railways Budget 2016-17. The mission targets the doubling of average speed of trains and increasing the speed of all non-suburban passenger trains by 25 kmph in the next five years.

rajdhani_express_1566381461_725x725.jpg

Twitter

Principal routes that were identified for raising of speed under Mission Raftaar comprised six routes on Golden Quadrilateral and diagonals namely, Delhi – Mumbai, Delhi – Howrah, Howrah- Chennai, Chennai – Mumbai, Delhi – Chennai and Howrah – Mumbai.

Delhi To Mumbai In 10 Hours With Mission Raftaar, Rajdhani Express' Speed Increased To 160kmph

Reactions: anant_s and Bali78