Indian Railways Junction

No good deed goes unpunished in IR it seems, where mediocrity reigns supreme. Sad to see such a state of affairs
Read up on OpIndia's report on train 18. It clarifies a lot of things. Apparently, the tendering process was rigged to favour the hydrabad firm which supplied the propulsion system. Sure, the equipment might be good, but it reeks of kick backs and corruption.

Read up on OpIndia's report on train 18. It clarifies a lot of things. Apparently, the tendering process was rigged to favour the hydrabad firm which supplied the propulsion system. Sure, the equipment might be good, but it reeks of kick backs and corruption.
i have read that and sorry I would have to disagree there. I just dont get the tendering part for an R&D project, ie customization of propulsion module for the specific, in design train. I believe it was a co-development the least, with stakes for each side.. Then where is the kick back?

Here is the link. And it also says that mechanical dept. vs electrical dept. controversy is not true.
Lol!!! If there is anything permanent in IR, may I dare say, it is this rivalry. Let me just stop there. Take it FWIW.

Last edited:
i have read that and sorry I would have to disagree there. I just dont get the tendering part for an R&D project, ie customization of propulsion module for the specific, in design train. I believe it was a co-development the least, with stakes for each side.. Then where is the kick back?

Lol!!! If there is anything permanent in IR, may I dare say, it is this rivalry. Let me just stop there. Take it FWIW.
Even if it was co-development, they will still be the primary suppliers of the machinery they contributed in. Logically, if the train got further orders as it was supposed to, they would get unfair advantage over others and would be the sole suppliers. Wouldn't they have an unfair monopoly?

I would like to read up on this rivalry you are talking about. Do you have any links or articles?

Even if it was co-development, they will still be the primary suppliers of the machinery they contributed in. Logically, if the train got further orders as it was supposed to, they would get unfair advantage over others and would be the sole suppliers. Wouldn't they have an unfair monopoly?

Sir, the whole point of co-development is that you get an advantage for the risk you put in, isn't it? Then where does come the question of fair play? Should that particular firm depose of its IP that it spend its resources on to some competitor firm, so that they can also get a share of the pie? That sounds illogical to me.

I would like to read up on this rivalry you are talking about. Do you have any links or articles?

Personal anecdotes. Nothing written, you can ver well negate me, or believe it doesn't exist. Sorry there.

Sir, the whole point of co-development is that you get an advantage for the risk you put in, isn't it? Then where does come the question of fair play? Should that particular firm depose of its IP that it spend its resources on to some competitor firm, so that they can also get a share of the pie? That sounds illogical to me.

Personal anecdotes. Nothing written, you can ver well negate me, or believe it doesn't exist. Sorry there.
Nah, you misunderstood me. You are absolutely right about the risk-reward part. What I am talking about is the selection process. Sure, that hydrabad based company has the rights to the production of the equipment they developed. But, the other companies didn't even get the chance to co-develop. What makes you so sure that other companies couldn't develop and deliver a similar or even a better product. It could even be possible that they would do it for cheaper contractual price. The work that the hydrabad company did may be exceptional but other companies didn't even had the chance to compete. That's where the stink comes from.

Acquisition of 270.65 hectares for Bullet train

The Indian Railways have gazetted acquisition of 270.65 hectares of private properties in Maharashtra

By FPJ Bureau
Updated on : 9 August 2019, 11:02 PM IST
freepressjournal%2Fimport%2F2018%2F09%2FW_end_sept30_pg3_Travel-lead-Bullet-train.jpg

NEW DELHI: The Indian Railways have gazetted acquisition of 270.65 hectares of private properties in Maharashtra, the highest 188.26 hectares in Palghar, for the rail lines to be laid for the bullet train between Ahmedabad and Mumbai.

The land in Palghar includes those in the tehsils of Vasai, Palghar, Dahanu and talasari, says the gazette notification issued on August 9. The acquisition also includes 3.7 hectares in Vikroli village of Kurla in Mumbai suburb and 78.69 hecatares in Thane covering Bhiwandi, Thane and Kalyan tehsils.

The notification says the Maharashtra Govt has to acquire the necessary land on behalf of the Centre and the actions so taken shall be legal and valid for all purposes.

Acquisition of 270.65 hectares for Bullet train

Reactions: Bali78
Nah, you misunderstood me. You are absolutely right about the risk-reward part. What I am talking about is the selection process. Sure, that hydrabad based company has the rights to the production of the equipment they developed. But, the other companies didn't even get the chance to co-develop. What makes you so sure that other companies couldn't develop and deliver a similar or even a better product. It could even be possible that they would do it for cheaper contractual price. The work that the hydrabad company did may be exceptional but other companies didn't even had the chance to compete. That's where the stink comes from.

I heard there was a tender for it... but i am not sure. That I agree...

Is it going to keep blasting those horns away when in service ? What will we do about stray animals/humans on the track ?
Generally when crossing railway stations or areas with dense population, continuous honking is pretty normal. And as its a RDSO trial train, its twice the normal honking.

Once EDFC and WDFC is fully commissioned, then the Delhi (NDLS) to Kolkata (via Patna) and Delhi to Mumbai routes will get its dedicated passenger routes.

Then IR will modernize the signalling in these sections , so that continuous semi high speed operations is possible (upto 180km/hr).

Secondary steps will be to relay and renew more tracks with less curves and fencing in certain accident prone regions.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
WAP5 H variant with a new soft ware is under testing. This software will allow its traction motor to operate at its full capacity.

So expect a 200km/hr trial video of WAP5 soon too.

How many types of engines do we have ? and how do you identify them ?
Right now in production we have
1. WAP 7 (6350 HP variant, 9000hp variant in development)
2. WAG9 (6350 HP Variant, limited serial production of 9000hp ongoing)
3. WAP 5 (New 6150 HP variant to be produced)

4. GE WDG4G/6G (4450 HP/ 6000HP) Diesel Electric locomotives

5. Alstom WAG 12 (12,000 HP , In testing and trials)

6. WAG 11 (WDG4 locomotives conversion to Electric during Midlife Overhaul, 11000 hp)

In Ranchi, my travel options were only Trains, untill i started college in Bangalore. So it started there only.
Read here for details of locomotives.
Locomotives of India - Wikipedia

Or join IRFCA forums for regular updates on major Railway projects, daily updates on metro, and other discussions. Its a nice place to spend extra time.

• Informative
Reactions: Ashwin and Gautam
I just signed up. Account name "Gautam02". I can't access anything though. It says :"Your account is currently awaiting approval by an administrator. You will receive an email when a decision has been taken." How long does that last ?

Did some reading up on some IR engines. I am fascinated by the sheer number of engines we made so far. WAG 12 is lovely.:love::love:
1565701873108.png

Got some questions if you don't mind. Firstly, WAG 12 is for goods transport right ? If so, what is purpose of WAG 11, given that both the 11 & 12 are rated at 12,000 hp ? We have ordered 800 WAG 12s, if the WAG 11 is added to the fleet won't that create logistical problems ?

Got any updates on Train 20 ?

I just signed up. Account name "Gautam02". I can't access anything though. It says :"Your account is currently awaiting approval by an administrator. You will receive an email when a decision has been taken." How long does that last ?

Did some reading up on some IR engines. I am fascinated by the sheer number of engines we made so far. WAG 12 is lovely.:love::love:
View attachment 9305

Got some questions if you don't mind. Firstly, WAG 12 is for goods transport right ? If so, what is purpose of WAG 11, given that both the 11 & 12 are rated at 12,000 hp ? We have ordered 800 WAG 12s, if the WAG 11 is added to the fleet won't that create logistical problems ?

Got any updates on Train 20 ?

WAG 12 is a high performance goods locomotive based on a proven Prima platform to be used exclusively haul heavy goods rake at high speed (100 kmph) on DFCs only.

WAG 11 came much later. It started with the realisation that fuel imports is eating up lots of revenue of Railways. We have 5000 Diesel locomotive strong fleet. Plus 1000 General Electric locomotives on order. To reduce this fleet.

After that it was decided
1. To order no more diesel locomotives (Sadly by then the deal for 1000 locomotives with GE was signed) , so EMD series (WDP4 and WDG4) are no longer in production. (Some powerplants and reliance have around half a dozen more on order, but not for Indian Railways).

2. Diesel locomotives going for a full overhaul (after 15 years of service) and still having a minimum life of 10-15 years, will be converted to Electric. So we have 2 primary family of diesel Electrics. The Alco family and the EMD family.
The Alco family are now old. Only the WDM 3D versions and some WDG3 locomotives are new. So these locomotives will be converted from 3100hp+3100hp to 5000hp+5000hp locomotives.

And the EMD family, most of whom are new. Will be converted from 4000hp+4000hp to 6000hp+6000hp.

The primary difference between WAG11 and WAG12 is, that WAG12 is contemporary technology.
While in WAG11 we are using the technology we are using to build WAG9 series since 20 years.

And its not logistics which is the problem. 50% of Railways locomotives fleet is diesel, that is the problem.