Indonesia orders 42 Rafale jets from France

As of 4/23, is this wrong?
"Prabowo signed a contract in September 2022 for the delivery of six Rafales worth $1.1 billion."
At this stage, the rest is wishful thinking, 18 at a time?

There's also this:

LA DEUXIÈME TRANCHE DE 18 RAFALE POUR L’INDONÉSIE ENTRE DANS LE CARNET DE COMMANDES
THE SECOND TRANCHE OF 18 RAFALE AIRCRAFT FOR INDONESIA ENTERS THE ORDER BOOK

(Saint-Cloud, 10 August 2023) - As part of the contract signed by Indonesia in February 2022 for the purchase of 42 Rafales, the second tranche of 18 Rafales entered the order book today.

(Saint-Cloud, 10 August 2023) - As part of the contract signed by Indonesia in February 2022 for the purchase of 42 Rafales, the second tranche of 18 Rafales came into effect today. This follows the entry into force in September 2022 of the first tranche of 6 Rafales, bringing the total number of aircraft on order to 24.

The acquisition of the latest-generation Rafales for the Tentara Nasional Indonesia Angkatan Udara (Indonesian National Army Air Force) includes a complete turnkey solution as well as a substantial industrial return for the Indonesian aeronautical sector. Educational projects will also be launched as part of technical training in aeronautical know-how.

The Rafale 'omnirole' is a unique vector of sovereignty and operational independence that will strengthen Indonesia's role as a major regional power.

"This new phase consolidates the start of a long-term partnership with the Indonesian authorities, whom I would like to thank once again for their confidence. It testifies to the strategic link between Indonesia and France, and will be reflected in the growing presence of Dassault Aviation in the country," said Eric Trappier, Chairman and CEO of Dassault Aviation.

Et ça:
Regarding Indonesia's future fighter jets, the Indonesian Air Force will operate 42 French-made Dassault Rafale F3R/F4 fighter jets, of which 24 units are already "secure", and 18 units will be confirmed next year. This procurement will also be followed by 24 units of Boeing F-15EX fighter jets, josss!

They have previously said a lot of things, including buying 100 SU-30,
SU-35.. CATTSA
F-35 ..US said NO
Secondhand Typhoon...no money
Secondhand Mirage...no money
Update F-16/ SU-30...we will wait and see. Australia has donated military aircraft and ships to Indonesia.

"Meanwhile, Jakarta later explored alternatives from France in response to the rejected F-35 request and the troubled Su-35 deal. After navigating through various phases of the fighter procurement process, Indonesia ultimately chose the Rafale and the F-15EX"
Have they paid yet?
Along with the 18 Rafale In august 23, they also said 24 F-15.."The F-15 jets acquired by Indonesia will be designated as F-15IDN and modeled after the F-15EX"

"However, as the ambitious modernization drive gains momentum, financial constraints will likely emerge as a potential stumbling block for the Southeast Asian nation. "

“Poorest” Air Force With ‘Most Powerful’ Fighters: Troubled IAF Plans To Fly F-15EX, Rafale, F-16, Su-30MK2, F-16 & KF-21​

Last edited:
They have previously said a lot of things, including buying 100 SU-30,
SU-35.. CATTSA
F-35 ..US said NO
Secondhand Typhoon...no money
Secondhand Mirage...no money
Update F-16/ SU-30...we will wait and see. Australia has donated military aircraft and ships to Indonesia.

"Meanwhile, Jakarta later explored alternatives from France in response to the rejected F-35 request and the troubled Su-35 deal. After navigating through various phases of the fighter procurement process, Indonesia ultimately chose the Rafale and the F-15EX"
Have they paid yet?
Along with the 18 Rafale In august 23, they also said 24 F-15.."The F-15 jets acquired by Indonesia will be designated as F-15IDN and modeled after the F-15EX"

"However, as the ambitious modernization drive gains momentum, financial constraints will likely emerge as a potential stumbling block for the Southeast Asian nation. "

“Poorest” Air Force With ‘Most Powerful’ Fighters: Troubled IAF Plans To Fly F-15EX, Rafale, F-16, Su-30MK2, F-16 & KF-21​

From your link:

Subsequently, on August 10, 2023, Dassault Aviation disclosed an agreement for an additional 18 Rafale jets in the plan’s second phase. This development brings the total number of ordered aircraft to 24.

In August 2023, Indonesia revealed its decision to procure F-15 Eagle fighter jets manufactured by US-defense company Boeing. The announcement included signing a memorandum of understanding to acquire 24 units of these US-made aircraft.

Can you see the difference between an announcement by Dassault that a 15% deposit has been paid and an MOU that is not even binding but merely attests to an intention?

Yet, many experts posit that the rationale behind acquiring both the F-15EX and Rafale lies in the potential benefits: the F-15EX could enhance diplomatic access to Washington for future acquisitions, while the Rafale offers unrestricted and superior capabilities for the Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU).
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Show me this 15%
It's already done there:

Show me this 15%
Entrée en vigueur de la dernière tranche de 18 Rafale pour l’Indonésie
Final tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia takes effect

(Saint-Cloud, January 8, 2024) - The last tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia entered into force today.

(Saint-Cloud, 8 January 2024) - The final tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia took effect today. It follows the entry into force, in September 2022 and August 2023, of the first and second tranches of 6 and 18 Rafales, thus completing the number of aircraft on order for Indonesia under the contract signed in February 2022 for the acquisition of 42 Rafales.

Entrée en vigueur de la dernière tranche de 18 Rafale pour l’Indonésie
Final tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia takes effect

(Saint-Cloud, January 8, 2024) - The last tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia entered into force today.

(Saint-Cloud, 8 January 2024) - The final tranche of 18 Rafales for Indonesia took effect today. It follows the entry into force, in September 2022 and August 2023, of the first and second tranches of 6 and 18 Rafales, thus completing the number of aircraft on order for Indonesia under the contract signed in February 2022 for the acquisition of 42 Rafales.

A real problem for China. One can hope Malaysia and Vietnam are the next customers.

India will take the 3rd spot soon. If it wasn't for TEDBF, we would take France's position long term, and the the possibility is still there.
France's ambition is to order 225 Rafales for itself, but it has ordered 24 more new Rafales than it has sold second-hand, making a total of 249 Rafales. The oldest Rafales will certainly have to be replaced from 2032 - 35 before the NGF arrives around 2042. What's more, there's going to be a period when we have two aircraft carriers and no NGF, and our Rafale Ms are tiring faster than the land-based Rafales, so I see an opportunity here too for around twenty Rafales. All in all, I think we could be looking at around a hundred Rafales in addition to what France already has, giving a grand total of 349 Rafales, slightly more than the 294 planned for in 2004.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
India will take the 3rd spot soon. If it wasn't for TEDBF, we would take France's position long term, and the the possibility is still there.
No.
We will not order follow on or mmrca2. Thanks to MK2.
I know,it will not fulfill what MMRCA supposed to do. But you can't convince this facts to public,politician, sarakari babu ,extremist like Indrani Roy and other vested interest .

No.
I know,it will not fulfill what MMRCA supposed to do. But you can't convince this facts to public,politician, sarakari babu ,extremist like Indrani Roy and other vested interest .
MK2 is far from beeing a reality.
From the very beginning my bet was for a final IAF figure of 72 to 108 Rafale fleet. I never believed a 200 or more Indian fleet.
But once again we just have to wait.

France's ambition is to order 225 Rafales for itself, but it has ordered 24 more new Rafales than it has sold second-hand, making a total of 249 Rafales. The oldest Rafales will certainly have to be replaced from 2032 - 35 before the NGF arrives around 2042. What's more, there's going to be a period when we have two aircraft carriers and no NGF, and our Rafale Ms are tiring faster than the land-based Rafales, so I see an opportunity here too for around twenty Rafales. All in all, I think we could be looking at around a hundred Rafales in addition to what France already has, giving a grand total of 349 Rafales, slightly more than the 294 planned for in 2004.

Then I suppose France will have ordered the most, then India will have the most operational by then.

Anyway, wouldn't a life extension program make more sense for PANG? It's just 10 more years, that's 2500 hours.

Then I suppose France will have ordered the most, then India will have the most operational by then.

Anyway, wouldn't a life extension program make more sense for PANG? It's just 10 more years, that's 2500 hours.
Yes, but it's likely that the PANG won't just have NGF; it will probably have a mixed fleet with Rafale for at least 10 years. Like the Super Etendard for the CDG. What's more, this would allow our Navy to have F5 and more.

No.

MRFA will go through. Expected to begin soon.

Yes, but it's likely that the PANG won't just have NGF; it will probably have a mixed fleet with Rafale for at least 10 years. Like the Super Etendard for the CDG. What's more, this would allow our Navy to have F5 and more.

Rafale M F3Rs upgraded to F5 standards should be able to fulfill that need alongside some F4s, no? So France is getting 39 until 2026 and 42 more until 2029. Do we know how many of those are Ms?

And if MN buys 20 F5s in the 2030s, then that could easily push NGF purchases to beyond 2050.