Jammu & Kashmir live updates: GOI remove all provisions of Article 370

In can under stand the communication blackout and the lock down to avoid bloodshed. However the continued detention of the pro-India leadership is still boggling me. I remember reading that when the INC called for the quit India agitation, the British bundled up all senior congress leadership, leaving the political turf solely to the Muslim league. ML ran its Pakistan campaign without any counter from the absentee congress leadership and ensuing 1945 election won all the Muslim reserved seats, where previously they had none.

I'm afraid by locking up those leadership who could have spoken for India, we have left the turf completely for the so called Separatist groups to exploit.
There's a difference in the analogy you've cited. Everyone's under a lockdown. Pro / Anti / Fence Sitters. The only problem I anticipate is when the so called mainstream Kashmiri leaders start calling for independence. I suspect a deal is in the offing. Besides the reason why this government acted the way they did is coz we were getting into an infinity loop with the same set of politicians & the same politics practiced. Kashmir and India needed a change.

This government is very discreet in their planning an execution so far and have done a commendable job in the way they handled J&K. So let's wait for another 3 months before jumping to conclusions on what their true intentions are. And I doubt anyone including their party spokesperson has any clue about Modi's next steps.

No doubt they have planned well to contain the potential violent backlash in the valley. However what you said about very few people in know about the Modi govt next step on Kashmir, is what worries me. This lack of consultative depth on the Kashmir moves, harbours the danger of ill advised measures. There is no word, not even unofficial, on who they hope will helm the political affairs in Kashmir, once the normalcy is restored and elections are held. WIll PDP and NC be as pro-India as they were prior to Aug 5th, after all we have destroyed their political credibility among the Muslims of Kashmir.

Reactions: Paro
We can prop up and create new leaders

It has just been a month

The old edifices will have to be demolished
Before we create new structures
Who are the leaders who can talk to the Kashmiris on behalf of India. PDP and NC did that, but their credibility is hit the proverbial cliff bottom. If by propping up you mean rigging the election in favor of political forces that center is comfortable with, then we have tread these waters before in 1989 and the results have been disastrous.

We cannot allow a smal region of Kashmir valley infested with 7th century ideology to hold entire Republic of India to the ransom. If it demands blood be it or else this country will fall apart. Today it is Kashmir tomorrow it will be something else.

Who are the leaders who can talk to the Kashmiris on behalf of India. PDP and NC did that, but their credibility is hit the proverbial cliff bottom. If by propping up you mean rigging the election in favor of political forces that center is comfortable with, then we have tread these waters before in 1989 and the results have been disastrous.
Thats why BJP is focusing on local panchayat leaders , non valley leaders. Some protests , violence is bound to happen. We need to only make sure that this protest , violence happens say 5-6 months later to dehypenate it with this move of 370
And the political leaders are not doodh ke dhule huye , who doesn't want power?there are always replacements.
2010 was the bloodiest year in history of Kashmir , 100+ were killed in protests then 2016 saw another huge protests. 90s was complete mayhem when we were weak in all fronts
Yet we survive and came through.
Only thing is we need to tread carefully now , slow and steady

There's a difference in the analogy you've cited. Everyone's under a lockdown. Pro / Anti / Fence Sitters. The only problem I anticipate is when the so called mainstream Kashmiri leaders start calling for independence. I suspect a deal is in the offing. Besides the reason why this government acted the way they did is coz we were getting into an infinity loop with the same set of politicians & the same politics practiced. Kashmir and India needed a change.

The last message we heard from Mehbooba and Omar were quite ominous. Fortunately they may have lost whatever credibility that was left in their political stock. And you are right, the only way theyb feel they can redeem their political image is by switching to the Azaadi camp. If the Modi govt was planning to strike a compromise deal with NC/PDP leadership, the best way to do was allow them to retain some political legitimacy. We could have allowed the leadership to issue some press statements here , some dharnas there. But now we have pushed them to a corner too.

In can under stand the communication blackout and the lock down to avoid bloodshed. However the continued detention of the pro-India leadership is still boggling me. I remember reading that when the INC called for the quit India agitation, the British bundled up all senior congress leadership, leaving the political turf solely to the Muslim league. ML ran its Pakistan campaign without any counter from the absentee congress leadership and ensuing 1945 election won all the Muslim reserved seats, where previously they had none.

I'm afraid by locking up those leadership who could have spoken for India, we have left the turf completely for the so called Separatist groups to exploit.
Every congressman was released 6 months before the 1946 elections. It can also be argued that them being in jail for 3 years burnished their nationalist credentials, and helped Congress in elections. Most Indian Muslims who voted for Jinnah, fell for the propoganda, because they wanted the creation of Pakistan.
Also, by imprisoning PDP and NC leaders until onset of winter, the central government wants to rebuild their credentials to whatever extent possible, as they can say that Mufti and Abdullah suffered too along with the Kashmiris..

Thats why BJP is focusing on local panchayat leaders , non valley leaders. Some protests , violence is bound to happen. We need to only make sure that this protest , violence happens say 5-6 months later to dehypenate it with this move of 370
And the political leaders are not doodh ke dhule huye , who doesn't want power?there are always replacements.
2010 was the bloodiest year in history of Kashmir , 100+ were killed in protests then 2016 saw another huge protests. 90s was complete mayhem when we were weak in all fronts
Yet we survive and came through.
Only thing is we need to tread carefully now , slow and steady

Our problem is only in the Muslim dominated valley. We don't have any movement going on in Ladakh or Jammu. So leadership must come from the valley itself, for it to have any legitimacy. I understand that there are second level leadership in NC and PDP who will be keen to take over the mantle, but even they are locked up. Ideally with senior leadership locked up, the junior leadership should have been allowed some political space, if we keen to promote them.

The point is we cannot 'other' the Kashmkiris in this crisis. To treat them as the other and then try to find a solution from that premise, will lead to even worst bloodshed.

Every congressman was released 6 months before the 1946 elections. It can also be argued that them being in jail for 3 years burnished their nationalist credentials, and helped Congress in elections. Most Indian Muslims who voted for Jinnah, fell for the propoganda, because they wanted the creation of Pakistan.
Also, by imprisoning PDP and NC leaders until onset of winter, the central government wants to rebuild their credentials to whatever extent possible, as they can say that Mufti and Abdullah suffered too along with the Kashmiris..

The point is Muslim league was allowed the leeway to run its propaganda with any counter from the INC or nationalist forces, whether on the street or the press and helped them cement their voice among the electorate. This what I'm afraid we may end up doing in the Valley.

The point about NC/PDP leadership burnishing their political credentials under house arrest, is valid and well taken, however it would have further aided if they were allowed to make press & media statements and communicate with their constituency.

The last message we heard from Mehbooba and Omar were quite ominous. Fortunately they may have lost whatever credibility that was left in their political stock. And you are right, the only way theyb feel they can redeem their political image is by switching to the Azaadi camp. If the Modi govt was planning to strike a compromise deal with NC/PDP leadership, the best way to do was allow them to retain some political legitimacy. We could have allowed the leadership to issue some press statements here , some dharnas there. But now we have pushed them to a corner too.
If they switch to the azaadi camp , who's going to back them? There are already parties there. If they go pro Pakistan, there are parties there too, except they'd be hunted down by Indian forces.

Usually, centralised hold results in devolution. Like, Tamils in SL.Here, it's the opposite for good reason.

No doubt they have planned well to contain the potential violent backlash in the valley. However what you said about very few people in know about the Modi govt next step on Kashmir, is what worries me. This lack of consultative depth on the Kashmir moves, harbours the danger of ill advised measures. There is no word, not even unofficial, on who they hope will helm the political affairs in Kashmir, once the normalcy is restored and elections are held. WIll PDP and NC be as pro-India as they were prior to Aug 5th, after all we have destroyed their political credibility among the Muslims of Kashmir.

I usually tend not to reply seriously to posts on K valley politics, cuz its is impossible for the nationalists and the "India ought to Introspect" type Left of Centre to have an sense of the Quagmire. Both quaters are as asinine and pedestrian in their assesment as it can possibly get.

The bold highlighted part is way off the mark. so lets clear some basics up.

Basics First :
  1. PDP and NC are not Pro-India, you can argue if not PDP at-least NC... but you'd be wrong there too.
  2. PDP and NC are not pro Kashmir or pro Kashmiri people.
  3. The Muslims of Kashmir or say of south Kashmir (to be precise) are not the only inhabitants of the erstwhile J&K State.
If Kashmir hasn't worried you for the past 3 decades, or even 5 decades. Your worries are very very misplaced or driving jitters from the wrong sources. The Clock never turns back in Kashmir, it was true in 1960s... it is true now, the K Valley population knows this...

Every thing that was wrong with the place and its political system arose from the special status it had. Kashmir was mostly 'normal' till the late 60s. The loss of political good will started after 1971, this was largely fueled by NC and only later picked up by PDP... and for some reason or the other New Delhi dissipation started treating Gulam Nabi Azad as some unofficial viceroy. NC and PDP in the 80s became brokers of power in J&K and that had disastrous consequences. Since then "Show Kashmir and Make Money" has been the motto of the so called mainstream & separatist 'leaders'. This was possible, all thanks to the Speacial Stautus... that made matters worse for everyone except who gamed the system to make money and retain power.

Much of the muck in J&K is India's own making after the insurgency started, Pakistan was more than happy to add fuel. Our political handling was pathetic irrespective of the dissipation in New Delhi, indecision and lack of clarity and pussyfooting on decision making, especially on protecting who were pro India was our fault (case point Kuka Parray & Abdul Ghani Lone). All gains made by forces on ground was lost by Political inaction.

Add agency chiefs such as AS Daulat, NSA like Brijesh Mishra, PMO officers like Sudheendra Kulkarni (yes I am focussing on the NDA 1 tenure, I can lay thread bare everything from Indira to NDA 2.0 but you see I'll not get a PhD on thesis or something so I am not very keen on investing that much time, I'd assume you've extensive collections of J&K news papers to get a gist of what had happened). UPA 1.0 and 2.0 just maintained status quo.

The Big question is What's next?

The Union government has assumed the worst and has prepared for it. Sit Rep : So far So good. Now as we Inch closer to two months since August 5, Much water has flowed in Jehlum, Chenab and Indus also given the secession of J&K is off the table for any party in the game, what will happen next ? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:
I usually tend not to reply seriously to posts on K valley politics, cuz its is impossible for the nationalists and the "India ought to Introspect" type Left of Centre to have an sense of the Quagmire. Both quaters are as asinine and pedestrian in their assesment as it can possibly get.

The bold highlighted part is way off the mark. so lets clear some basics up.

Basics First :
  1. PDP and NC are not Pro-India, you can argue if not PDP at-least NC... but you'd be wrong there too.
  2. PDP and NC are not pro Kashmir or pro Kashmiri people.
  3. The Muslims of Kashmir or say of south Kashmir (to be precise) are not the only inhabitants of the erstwhile J&K State.
If Kashmir hasn't worried you for the past 3 decades, or even 5 decades. Your worries are very very misplaced or driving jitters from the wrong sources. The Clock never turns back in Kashmir, it was true in 1960s... it is true now, the K Valley population knows this...

Every thing that was wrong with the place and its political system arose from the special status it had. Kashmir was mostly 'normal' till the late 60s. The loss of political good will started after 1971, this was largely fueled by NC and only later picked up by PDP... and for some reason or the other New Delhi dissipation started treating Gulam Nabi Azad as some unofficial viceroy. NC and PDP in the 80s became brokers of power in J&K and that had disastrous consequences. Since then "Show Kashmir and Make Money" has been the motto of the so called mainstream & separatist 'leaders'. This was possible, all thanks to the Speacial Stautus... that made matters worse for everyone except who gamed the system to make money and retain power.

Much of the muck in J&K is India's own making after the insurgency started, Pakistan was more than happy to add fuel. Our political handling was pathetic irrespective of the dissipation in New Delhi, indecision and lack of clarity and pussyfooting on decision making, especially on protecting who were pro India was our fault (case point Kuka Parray & Abdul Ghani Lone). All gains made by forces on ground was lost by Political inaction.

Add agency chiefs such as AS Daulat, NSA like Brijesh Mishra, PMO officers like Sudheendra Kulkarni (yes I am focussing on the NDA 1 tenure, I can lay thread bare everything from Indira to NDA 2.0 but you see I'll not get a PhD on thesis or something so I am not very keen on investing that much time, I'd assume you've extensive collections of J&K news papers to get a gist of what had happened). UPA 1.0 and 2.0 just maintained status quo.

The Big question is What's next?

The Union government has assumed the worst and has prepared for it. Sit Rep : So far So good. Now as we Inch closer to two months since August 5, Much water has flowed in Jehlum, Chenab and Indus also given the secession of J&K is off the table for any party in the game, what will happen next ? Your guess is as good as mine.

NC & PDP may not be pro-india in the sense the INC or BJP would be, but in the context of the Kashmir politics and in particular comparison to to the stand espoused by the APHC, it should be considered pro-India in that context. NC & PDP in the past may have questioned whether Kashmir merged with India, but they have never questioned its accession to India.

I have previously made the observation that its only the Muslim kashmiris of the valley who have (or still questioning) the accession & merger with Indian union as a settled matter. With Muslim Kashmiris being an overwhelming majority in the valley, how we address this matter with them and how satisfied they are with the solution we have for that question, will largely determine if the valley ever returns to political and social normalcy. We are all aware of the convoluted post independent history of Kashmir, famously called as a spiders web by an observer.

While the special status was a constitutional aberration that needed to be corrected, but lets not bundle together autonomy and constitutional special status. limited autonomy should be still considered on the table for any political settlement of the issue and hopefully the central govt is innovative in packaging any Kashmir autonomy, which satisfies the population in the valley, without compromising the sovereignty of the Indian constitution that has now been extended to the J&K.

NC & PDP may not be pro-india in the sense the INC or BJP would be, but in the context of the Kashmir politics and in particular comparison to to the stand espoused by the APHC, it should be considered pro-India in that context. NC & PDP in the past may have questioned whether Kashmir merged with India, but they have never questioned its accession to India.

The legal and political prerogative of J&K merging with India was in the hands of only one person. The then King Raja Hari Singh of the Princely state of J&K. What ever be his motivations but the nature of the dikat then his accession gave the Indian Union Sovereignty over the territory and its people. PDP & NC did no service by Not questioning of J&K's accession, again by the nature of it, the act is irreversible, that debate is over. Seikh Abdullah wanted J&K for himself and his family to rule over, even though he was instrumental in the state's accession, moreover he had his own ambition (nothing wrong though) but so does the Republic of India.

Given the game play of politics between NC and the Indian State it was a case where the Later chose to be benign even in the face of direct political blackmail on Sovereignty by NC, the Indian State over compensated NC for its services. Setting APHC's as a reference standard for being pro India? Every one and their kid knows, what they are. On ground, in two pockets of Srinagar, Sopore and Anantnag APHCs influence exists. The Mirwaiz has influence only in some localities around the Jama Masjid in Srinagar and that should be the standard of reference. I am amazed.

I have previously made the observation that its only the Muslim kashmiris of the valley who have (or still questioning) the accession & merger with Indian union as a settled matter. With Muslim Kashmiris being an overwhelming majority in the valley, how we address this matter with them and how satisfied they are with the solution we have for that question, will largely determine if the valley ever returns to political and social normalcy. We are all aware of the convoluted post independent history of Kashmir, famously called as a spiders web by an observer.

The same Muslims of the valley had deflated Operation Gibralter when it took place, Question : What Changed? The Questoining of acession to India came much later than what you have observed, or rather not observed. The average Kashmiri is very smart, his political opinion changes depending on who is asking the question (an Indian National, A pkaitnai national, A foreigner, his fellow Kashmiri and his inner circle all will have different answers to the same question), but for the understanding of what is transpiring today one needs to actually burn some grease in the valley aomg them. "The Delhi-bias" on Kashmir perspective is, as I say is juvenile in the garb of an intellectual opinion, it would be hillarious if it didn't have such serious consequences. The valley is not a monolith, there are many fragments of interests and diversity there, to paint the entire population as one single entity having a single political opinion is injudicious.

While the special status was a constitutional aberration that needed to be corrected, but lets not bundle together autonomy and constitutional special status. limited autonomy should be still considered on the table for any political settlement of the issue and hopefully the central govt is innovative in packaging any Kashmir autonomy, which satisfies the population in the valley, without compromising the sovereignty of the Indian constitution that has now been extended to the J&K.

The political settlement has been achieved. The only autonomy they'll have is like the rest of the states have, and all of them have their uniqueness is intact. The special status is much more a state of mind, if any autonomy is given to J&K the same should be given to the 29 others too and the Indian State should refrain from outright discrimiation to the rest of the nation.

• Agree
Reactions: jetray and Bali78
The legal and political prerogative of J&K merging with India was in the hands of only one person. The then King Raja Hari Singh of the Princely state of J&K. What ever be his motivations but the nature of the dikat then his accession gave the Indian Union Sovereignty over the territory and its people. PDP & NC did no service by Not questioning of J&K's accession, again by the nature of it, the act is irreversible, that debate is over. Seikh Abdullah wanted J&K for himself and his family to rule over, even though he was instrumental in the state's accession, moreover he had his own ambition (nothing wrong though) but so does the Republic of India.

Given the game play of politics between NC and the Indian State it was a case where the Later chose to be benign even in the face of direct political blackmail on Sovereignty by NC, the Indian State over compensated NC for its services. Setting APHC's as a reference standard for being pro India? Every one and their kid knows, what they are. On ground, in two pockets of Srinagar, Sopore and Anantnag APHCs influence exists. The Mirwaiz has influence only in some localities around the Jama Masjid in Srinagar and that should be the standard of reference. I am amazed.

The same Muslims of the valley had deflated Operation Gibralter when it took place, Question : What Changed? The Questoining of acession to India came much later than what you have observed, or rather not observed. The average Kashmiri is very smart, his political opinion changes depending on who is asking the question (an Indian National, A pkaitnai national, A foreigner, his fellow Kashmiri and his inner circle all will have different answers to the same question), but for the understanding of what is transpiring today one needs to actually burn some grease in the valley aomg them. "The Delhi-bias" on Kashmir perspective is, as I say is juvenile in the garb of an intellectual opinion, it would be hillarious if it didn't have such serious consequences. The valley is not a monolith, there are many fragments of interests and diversity there, to paint the entire population as one single entity having a single political opinion is injudicious.

The political settlement has been achieved. The only autonomy they'll have is like the rest of the states have, and all of them have their uniqueness is intact. The special status is much more a state of mind, if any autonomy is given to J&K the same should be given to the 29 others too and the Indian State should refrain from outright discrimiation to the rest of the nation.

Thanks to the Article 370 and the special status granted in lieu of the article, the state of J&K was regarded as first among equals regarding the legislative power and privileges enjoyed by the states of the Indian union. However with the reorganization of the state and stripping of its full statehood, it has been now demoted among the ranks of the second among equals and rather not even an equal to the states of the union. This step is likely to have caused grave misgivings among the section of the Kashmiri population, who are not inclined towards the Azaadi camp. Its disingenuous to say that the state( or call it the former state) will now enjoy the autonomy like the other states, when clearly what the center has done is to punish the state, according to some observers, by stripping of its statehood. While it has been argued that the punishment was long overdue, in light of the long drawn insurgency and separatist tendency harbored by the people of the state. However we have to remember that states like Punjab and Assam( a few others in NE) have harbored similar insurgencies and separatist movements and the union has been able to contain them and arrive at political settlement without altering their constitutional status.

Its an illusion to think that we have achieved political settlement in the valley, either now or in the past. If such a settlement had been reached, there was no cause for the valley to breakout into a hotbed of insurgency for the past three decades. We can lull ourselves into false argument that Pakistan was behind current phase of violence, which it is to a large extent by sponsoring acts of terrorism and providing safe haven and ideological material support to dreaded terrorists, however we cannot ignore the fact that the political disaffection among the people of the valley provided fertile grounds for the external players to sow the seeds of armed militancy and separatism. Our challenge in the valley is not how we accommodate the various interests of the political players, be it the APHC or the mainstream parties, but rather how we are able to accommodate the aspiration and misgivings of the the people of the valley regarding their political status, within the larger ambit of the Indian constitution. We have to believe and more importantly the disaffected people of the valley have to believe, that this can be achieved. Perhaps this process of arriving at a genuine accommodation can be started by restoring the statehood to J&K( now that the ghost of Article 370 has been buried)

In a socio-culturally diverse country like India, whenever there political disaffection has raised its head, the union government has two ways to deal with it. One is to employ brute force to suppress disaffection and impose a political solution or adopt, as you would call, a benign dispensation and arrive at a political settlement with the affected stakeholders to root out the disaffection. Fortunately for us the union government has very rarely had to resort to the former method. Be it the state reorganization on the basis of linguistics or the granting of substantial autonomy to the states in the north east, center has reaped the peace dividend for displaying the political sagacity of accommodation. Infact the peace talks that the union government is currently engaged with the various political factions in Nagaland is apparently veering towards a political arrangement based on shared sovereignty.

Thanks to the Article 370 and the special status granted in lieu of the article, the state of J&K was regarded as first among equals regarding the legislative power and privileges enjoyed by the states of the Indian union. However with the reorganization of the state and stripping of its full statehood, it has been now demoted among the ranks of the second among equals and rather not even an equal to the states of the union. This step is likely to have caused grave misgivings among the section of the Kashmiri population, who are not inclined towards the Azaadi camp. Its disingenuous to say that the state( or call it the former state) will now enjoy the autonomy like the other states, when clearly what the center has done is to punish the state, according to some observers, by stripping of its statehood. While it has been argued that the punishment was long overdue, in light of the long drawn insurgency and separatist tendency harbored by the people of the state. However we have to remember that states like Punjab and Assam( a few others in NE) have harbored similar insurgencies and separatist movements and the union has been able to contain them and arrive at political settlement without altering their constitutional status.

Its an illusion to think that we have achieved political settlement in the valley, either now or in the past. If such a settlement had been reached, there was no cause for the valley to breakout into a hotbed of insurgency for the past three decades. We can lull ourselves into false argument that Pakistan was behind current phase of violence, which it is to a large extent by sponsoring acts of terrorism and providing safe haven and ideological material support to dreaded terrorists, however we cannot ignore the fact that the political disaffection among the people of the valley provided fertile grounds for the external players to sow the seeds of armed militancy and separatism. Our challenge in the valley is not how we accommodate the various interests of the political players, be it the APHC or the mainstream parties, but rather how we are able to accommodate the aspiration and misgivings of the the people of the valley regarding their political status, within the larger ambit of the Indian constitution. We have to believe and more importantly the disaffected people of the valley have to believe, that this can be achieved. Perhaps this process of arriving at a genuine accommodation can be started by restoring the statehood to J&K( now that the ghost of Article 370 has been buried)

In a socio-culturally diverse country like India, whenever there political disaffection has raised its head, the union government has two ways to deal with it. One is to employ brute force to suppress disaffection and impose a political solution or adopt, as you would call, a benign dispensation and arrive at a political settlement with the affected stakeholders to root out the disaffection. Fortunately for us the union government has very rarely had to resort to the former method. Be it the state reorganization on the basis of linguistics or the granting of substantial autonomy to the states in the north east, center has reaped the peace dividend for displaying the political sagacity of accommodation. Infact the peace talks that the union government is currently engaged with the various political factions in Nagaland is apparently veering towards a political arrangement based on shared sovereignty.
I simply dont understand your comment/view, you have thrown a lot of words around "equals", "settlement","privileges", "misgivings"....etc . I see more confusion rather than any clarity.

First & foremost lets decouple kashmir conflict from kashmir wrt Indian state, they are simply another state in the union. From civil administration point of view , political settlement or aspirations ...etc is not within their purview.

Every state has been given equal powers , specific accommodations like reservation, land buying rights..etc is allowed if it is valid under constitution. As such every state has right to ask for specifics whether it is its own flag, state anthem....etc if it is allowed by constitution.

As far as your dismay on revoking of autonomy is concerned is totally unwarranted. Just like freedom & power comes with accountability & responsibility so does autonomy. When a state is given autonomy it is an indication it not only deserves it but also mature enough to wield it.
A state which does not provide security/services or govern/administer in an effective manner does not deserve autonomy.

To give a simple analogy take for example colleges, there are some colleges which are deemed universities and some which are not. Deemed universities have attained that professional maturity where by they can govern themselves without an oversight. Where as for rest of the colleges we need to have a watch dog authority to ensure all rules are strictly followed.

For kashmir to gain statehood it should prove that it can not only govern itself but also view/treat non-state subjects in a fair & unbiased manner as well.

I simply dont understand your comment/view, you have thrown a lot of words around "equals", "settlement","privileges", "misgivings"....etc . I see more confusion rather than any clarity.

First & foremost lets decouple kashmir conflict from kashmir wrt Indian state, they are simply another state in the union. From civil administration point of view , political settlement or aspirations ...etc is not within their purview.

Every state has been given equal powers , specific accommodations like reservation, land buying rights..etc is allowed if it is valid under constitution. As such every state has right to ask for specifics whether it is its own flag, state anthem....etc if it is allowed by constitution.

As far as your dismay on revoking of autonomy is concerned is totally unwarranted. Just like freedom & power comes with accountability & responsibility so does autonomy. When a state is given autonomy it is an indication it not only deserves it but also mature enough to wield it.
A state which does not provide security/services or govern/administer in an effective manner does not deserve autonomy.

To give a simple analogy take for example colleges, there are some colleges which are deemed universities and some which are not. Deemed universities have attained that professional maturity where by they can govern themselves without an oversight. Where as for rest of the colleges we need to have a watch dog authority to ensure all rules are strictly followed.

For kashmir to gain statehood it should prove that it can not only govern itself but also view/treat non-state subjects in a fair & unbiased manner as well.

In my post i have already anticipated this contention that Kashmir must be punished, constitutionally of course, for failing to be satisfied with its autonomy. I have stated that some section of the states of Punjab and Assam had/have demonstrated this lack of satisfaction with autonomy enjoyed as a state and revolted against the Indian state. Indian state has been successful in putting down unrest in these states, without having to stripped of their statehood. So why Kashmir has been singled out, in the words of some observers, this step motherly treatment.

The stripping off Kashmir's full statehood ,unfortunately ,has implication for other states of the Indian union. I have already addressed the dangers this step posed for the status of the states of the union in my earlier posts.