LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

As per Vayuaerospace, Tejas MK - 1A will be fitted with an integrated EW Suit (to be) developed by ELISRA. The system includes LWR, MAWS. Can someone confirm if this is true? If yes, looks like MK1A will have a better EW suit as compared to MKI, MK2 and Mig 29.

This contract seems to be in addition to the ELM-2052 AESA Radar and ELL-8222WB Jamming pod contract awarded to ELTA.
Untitled.png

As per Vayuaerospace, Tejas MK - 1A will be fitted with an integrated EW Suit (to be) developed by ELISRA. The system includes LWR, MAWS. Can someone confirm if this is true? If yes, looks like MK1A will have a better EW suit as compared to MKI, MK2 and Mig 29.

This contract seems to be in addition to the ELM-2052 AESA Radar and ELL-8222WB Jamming pod contract awarded to ELTA.
View attachment 15736

The D-29 for the Mig-29 was also developed with Elisra's assistance, which DARE decided has to be redesigned in order to fit the LCA. So the expectation is a "new" EW suite is being developed wih Elisra again, which is likely a rehashed D-29 made to fit the LCA. I doubt one can develop a new EW suite from scratch with just 178Cr. MKI's MAWS alone cost 200Cr or so. It's not clear yet what the plan with the EW suite is. But the addition of MAWS is news to me.

Last edited:
The D-29 for the Mig-29 was also developed with Elisra's assistance, which DARE decided has to be redesigned in order to fit the LCA. So the expectation is a "new" EW suite is being developed wih Elisra again, which is likely a rehashed D-29 made to fit the LCA. I doubt one can develop a new EW suite from scratch with just 178Cr. MKI's MAWS alone cost 200Cr or so. It's not clear yet what the plan with the EW suite is. But the addition of MAWS is news to me.
With the first Mk1a destined to fly by 2024, where's the timetime & if Elisra's doing all the development, what's DARE's role in it?

View attachment 15736
More than a year back news. Ajay Shukla was complaining about the same.

(MAWS part is most definitely a mistake, HAL would have publicized it if it were true.)

In this video, HAL presents the cockpit design for Mk1A. At around 3:25, where they explain the EW suit functionalities, they only speak about digital RWR, jammer and CMDS. Looks like a mistake in the above article.

On a separate note, without MAWS, how is the flare dispensing system used effectively? For the RF seeker misslies, I am assuming the RWR can be used to identify the incoming missile.

With the first Mk1a destined to fly by 2024, where's the timetime & if Elisra's doing all the development, what's DARE's role in it?

First Mk1A is expected to fly in 2022. Anyway, I don't know what DARE is going to do. Typically it's very difficult to tell who's doing what when it comes to EW. It's not even known if DARE is involved in any capacity.

In this video, HAL presents the cockpit design for Mk1A. At around 3:25, where they explain the EW suit functionalities, they only speak about digital RWR, jammer and CMDS. Looks like a mistake in the above article.

On a separate note, without MAWS, how is the flare dispensing system used effectively? For the RF seeker misslies, I am assuming the RWR can be used to identify the incoming missile.

MKIs evaded ARMRAAMs without MAWS effectively using chaffs. for RF seekers, it might be in a visual fight and identification of missile also visual with wingman's help. In this case, ASRAAM will be deadly with its extended range.

AFAIK not Elisra's but Elettronica + ADTL assistance

Savings from delayed foreign deals to push indigenous projects - The Economic Times
Savings from delayed foreign deals to push indigenous projects

Bye bye imported weapons. MMRCA 2 Ahem??..☺
Its pretty much it after senior IAF officers also said that follow on Rafales are a good option.

We should end up operating around 72-90 of them if the MKI upgrade program starts off as intended with all the goodies. MK1A and then hopefully MWF.

Its pretty much it after senior IAF officers also said that follow on Rafales are a good option.

We should end up operating around 72-90 of them if the MKI upgrade program starts off as intended with all the goodies. MK1A and then hopefully MWF.

We need 200-250, not just 90. So it's either 72-90 Rafales and 150 of something else, or all 200-250 are Rafales. What Rawat proposed is simply buying the entire requirement of Rafales in batches instead of going through the MMRCA tender.

This has nothing to do with MKI upgrade. All 260+ can be upgraded tomorrow and we will still need 200-250 Rafales. We also need 150+ next gen aircraft apart from the MKI upgrade and 200-250 Rafales, although that's on hold now. And we need 300 single-engine jets on top of the others. Also, hundreds of UAVs and UCAVs.

We need 200-250, not just 90. So it's either 72-90 Rafales and 150 of something else, or all 200-250 are Rafales. What Rawat proposed is simply buying the entire requirement of Rafales in batches instead of going through the MMRCA tender.

This has nothing to do with MKI upgrade. All 260+ can be upgraded tomorrow and we will still need 200-250 Rafales. We also need 150+ next gen aircraft apart from the MKI upgrade and 200-250 Rafales, although that's on hold now. And we need 300 single-engine jets on top of the others. Also, hundreds of UAVs and UCAVs.
I don't think there's any way we're going in for 200-250 Rafale's without the MMRCA-2.0. If we pursue imports which seems the more likely path as of now, we may cap it at anywhere between 110-140 Rafales procured in phases lasting a good 15-20 years since the first deal was signed.

That is what we do need actually. No denying. But everything boils down to our finances. That's why i said 4-5 squadrons.

Further clarifying. I was trying to say what our force mix may be by next 5-6 years.

~270 Su30MKI with atleast the initial batch having underwent the refurbishment. 4 to 5 squadrons of Rafale. 4 squadrons of Mig29UPG , 3 squadrons of Mirage 2000 and 3 squadrons of Jaguar DARIN III. Then 2 squadrons of Tejas MK1 and about 2 squadrons of Tejas Mk1a.

That is realistic numbers if we look at other things too like investments AWACS, Tankers and MR SAMs for IAF.

I don't think there's any way we're going in for 200-250 Rafale's without the MMRCA-2.0. If we pursue imports which seems the more likely path as of now, we may cap it at anywhere between 110-140 Rafales procured in phases lasting a good 15-20 years since the first deal was signed.
Licence production jacks up the cost even more actually.

If we went for Upgrades of our Mirages in France only, the program would have had completed earlier and cheaper too.

If we actually commit to say 4 squadrons at a time with another 4 on options , then French are pretty much in a position to deliver 2 squadrons a year. We can keep increasing the orders by each year. Up and untill say 2028-2030.

That will be enough Rafales to replace the 3 retired Jaguar squadrons, re equip the Mig27 squadron apart from the present two ordered.

While MK1A can replace our Mig21 Bison squadrons.

By decade end hopefully MWF is ready so that it starts replacing the Mig29UPG and then Mirage 2000 after 2035.

I am hopeful that by then AMCA will be mature enough to having started replacing the initial Su30MKIs.

And maybe an airforce version of TEDBF might fill in the role for further MMRCA requirements.

Jets are bought based on geography. 200-250 jets will give us 11-12 squadrons, this will allow us to have 4 squadrons each in the north and east, with 2 squadrons in central, with the leftover squadrons spread out elsewhere, like the west, south or A&N etc.

So if Rafales are capped at 110-140, then we still need to buy 100 jets of a different type, which doesn't make sense.

Jets are bought based on geography. 200-250 jets will give us 11-12 squadrons, this will allow us to have 4 squadrons each in the north and east, with 2 squadrons in central, with the leftover squadrons spread out elsewhere, like the west, south or A&N etc.

So if Rafales are capped at 110-140, then we still need to buy 100 jets of a different type, which doesn't make sense.
Are jets bought on account of geography or on the basis of projected requirements based on threat assessments?

What you're referring to is the stationing of jets which again is based on a plethora of factors viz - threat assessments, selection of the right jet & armaments , defence of the area concerned , safety of the aircrafts, logistics, etc.

I'd rather go with Ankit Kumar's post where he confirms a known fact that manufacturing of these jets in India will be more expensive than procuring them from France . Which again brings us to the the most important point of the whole discussion - finance.