LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Credits in pic:

GJsf6IFXQAAwdg2.jpg

Is the canopy shape also changed, to more bubble type or something??
Btw, in AMCA, Ghatak all these antennas should be conformal, lots of work to do, even though the system are done, integrating inside airframe conformally will be difficult I feel, I may be wrong too.
And are there any plans to remove pitot tube protruding from radome in Mk1A?

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Btw, in AMCA, Ghatak all these antennas should be conformal, lots of work to do, even though the system are done, integrating inside airframe conformally will be difficult I feel, I may be wrong too.
Yes, if all these antennas are not flush mounted/conformal then stealth is lost. So that's a given I think.

They have F16 & F15,both are good enough to deal any non aircraft flying. And you forgot what USAF inventory is when comes to force multipliers. With out firing a single bullet & missile, they managed to shoot down numerous Russian aircraft, only juust by relaying the data from their spy network to ukrain .
Don’t you are doing MKI upgrade? And why you think we don’t have such capabilities?

Yes, if all these antennas are not flush mounted/conformal then stealth is lost. So that's a given I think.
Already developed:
1711593948200.png

1711593987599.png

Nope

For Context:

1711601420695.png

In addition to the plug, ADA studied a bulged canopy to improve area ruling even further. The combined effect was 6 percent lower supersonic drag, which in turn led to a 20 percent improvement in transonic acceleration and 2 percent improvement in maximum speed [4].

1711601532664.png

Similarly, it was observed that there was a sudden kink in the aft bottom of the fuselage in Mk1 as shown in Figure 3. By eliminating this kink and identifying an optimized smoothened aft fuselage, an improvement of 4.9 percent was predicted in the supersonic drag on the aft body region.

1711601580101.png

A substantial amount of effort was directed towards optimizing the air intakes. The impact of changes in lip and cowl geometries, contractions ratio (i.e. the ratio of air intake to the minimum area of the intake duct) and performance of a newly proposed 3-door auxiliary intake were studied. The goal of these studies was to improve pressure recovery at low speeds without adversely impacting spillage drag at high speeds. It was found that the lip geometry and variation in contraction ratio of these features have minor improvements in low speed regimes, but their attendant side effect on high speed performance was deemed to be too high. On the other hand, cowl geometry optimization showed good improvement in pressure recovery due to its positive impact on the local flow field near the inlet plane. The 3-door design further enhances the gains in pressure recovery. It’s also expected to facilitate improved flow rates through the auxiliary intakes during the low speed, high AoA regimes. The combination of optimized cowl geometry and 3-door design results in a 3 percent improvement in pressure recovery, which should lead to an equivalent improvement in engine performance [11]. The 3-door design can already be seen on LCA Navy Mk1 prototypes.

GE engines are turning out to be speed breakers with production fixed at 20/ year and also the sole Tejas accident.

Engines are turning out to be Achilles heel.

Hopefully GE F 414 deal and 120 - 130 Kn new engine will get us over that.
Actually.... its not the engine but HAL herself. So... India had decided for using F404 somewhere in mid-late 2000s. From there IOC took sometime. But surprisingly from IOC to FOC also took sometime. HAL did not order and stocked engines. If we had ordered and stocked engines then building the plane was not much of an issue.

Reactions: Sathya
GE engines are turning out to be speed breakers with production fixed at 20/ year and also the sole Tejas accident.

Engines are turning out to be Achilles heel.
Regarding the engine production speed.

Keep this in mind that the statement of Max 20/year production is wrt to an order of 83 aircrafts only.

If Govt today signs orders for 97 additional airframes and then HAL orders requisite engines from GE, then GE can within 18 months of reaching the 20 engines per annum mark can easily push the production in 30s.

Keep in mind that 404 in other iterations are still being produced. That is not an issue.

Currently we have 83 airframes to deliver in 5 years. That's hardly 16 engines. Add maybe 2-3 more per year for operational requirements.

That's still less than the 20 year mark.

Reactions: Ironhide and Sathya
Regarding the engine production speed.

Keep this in mind that the statement of Max 20/year production is wrt to an order of 83 aircrafts only.

If Govt today signs orders for 97 additional airframes and then HAL orders requisite engines from GE, then GE can within 18 months of reaching the 20 engines per annum mark can easily push the production in 30s.

Keep in mind that 404 in other iterations are still being produced. That is not an issue.

Currently we have 83 airframes to deliver in 5 years. That's hardly 16 engines. Add maybe 2-3 more per year for operational requirements.

That's still less than the 20 year mark.
For next iteration, they should definetely need to go for this

And it looks like, the software package for LAD is almost similar to current software package for SMFD.

So integration not going to be a big deal.

Stealth is already lost when you install an engine which is not built for stealth aircraft lol.
Not always. AMCA's definitive version will have an all-new engine designed with its VLO stealth in mind.

Ghatak will use Kaveri derivative but its engine would be buried inside the frame plus air intake is designed in a way that even with Kaveri engine, it shall maintain full-on VLO stealth from all aspects.

Reactions: YoungWolf