LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

That's great to hear. So, what kind of jets are the Malaysians looking at ?

All light aircraft. F/A-50, LCA and JF-17 in particular.

They are looking for a light aircraft dedicated towards strike. Even LCA Mk1 without AESA fits the bill.

Others also want to take part with Hawk class aircraft, like Leonardo with M-346. So it's possible for BAE to jump in with HAL's Advanced Hawk, while HAL peddles LCA, giving HAL two chances. Although any requirement for sea strike will kill the chances of anything but a fighter jet due to lack of a radar.

Speculations are rife, so let's see what happens after the RFP is released. I bet even the Malaysians are not entirely sure about what they want yet.

1553422429500.png
1553422482960.png
1553422517328.png
1553422559099.png
1553422585390.png
1553422607521.png
1553422626258.png
1553423082756.png

Last edited:
I want LCA team to define new limits for LCA during this air show. Pull 9Gs and new maneuvers to impress the world.

It's our one of the best chance to grab some good PR in the absence of its possible rivals.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Strike as in ground attack ?

Yep.

So, the contenders are F/A-50, LCA, Hawk-i, M-346 and JF-17 ?

F/A-50, LCA and JF-17 for sure. Second hand Gripen C/Ds are also a possibility. The participation of Hawk-i and M-346 will be entirely dependent on the RFP, but the least likely options. Malaysia is looking for LIFT also, so they can even combine the two depending on finances. There are a lot of options here.

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam
There's something interesting between these two pictures. Who can tell me what it is?
Let's see. Symmetrical loads on both except for the LDP. How much does that weigh, I wonder ? The yellow colour on the second pic one seems to indicate first flight, the first pic is likely from 45th squadron and it is obviously at the end of a landing run with the chute deployed for braking but the air-brakes not employed.
I don't know. That's all I can see right now.
Speaking of seeing, notice the small white rectangular box like things just behind the radome and ahead of the canopy. What are those ? How come some aircrafts have one and some two ?

Let's see. Symmetrical loads on both except for the LDP. How much does that weigh, I wonder ? The yellow colour on the second pic one seems to indicate first flight, the first pic is likely from 45th squadron and it is obviously at the end of a landing run with the chute deployed for braking but the air-brakes not employed.
I don't know. That's all I can see right now.

Both jets have LDP. But it's something about the payload.

Speaking of seeing, notice the small white rectangular box like things just behind the radome and ahead of the canopy. What are those ? How come some aircrafts have one and some two ?

IFF.

Both jets have LDP. But it's something about the payload.
CCMs are the same on both, one seems to have HSLD bombs, perhaps more importantly the first image shows the drop tanks are set further away from the centreline. I don't know a lot but further away from the centreline means less payload carrying capacity.
Got it. Why do some of them have one and some have two ?