Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

Thank you and I feel the same about your points. this a a matter of "cherry picking" I mean this in a good way various attributes and can be done with any fighter. The Gripen is faster than the Rafale in top speed and has a single engine that is easier to maintain. A Rafale fan would then counter that the top speed is not relevant, and that twin engines can be better for safety. This can go on forever. and Gripens had Meteor first! a Typhoon fan will also be able to point out things Typhoons can do that Rafales can't. Rafale fans will counter with their own pros while downplaying the Rafale's weaknesses.
the 9.5 tons payload would deserve further evaluation when we remember that a portion of that 9.5 tons is external fuel, while the F-35 carries all its fuel internally and the Rafale has 4700 kilos of fuel vs the F-35s about 8300 kilos of internal fuel. A difference of 3,600 kilos.

Rafale 4700 kg fuel + 9500 kilo of weapons and external fuel = 14,200 kilos

F-35A about 8300 kg fuel + about 8000 kilos of external ordnance = 16000 kilos.

its not as obvious when there is analysis. we arrive at the F-35 doing different things but still being measured against the "old method." Most Fighters (and none in the light or "medium" class) are carrying 8000+ kilos of internal fuel the Flanker MKI is exceptional-- over 9,000 kilos and the F-15 is at over 6000 kilos. despite having a "lower payload" the F-35 will likely be able to carry more weapons and USABLE payload, vs hauling around external "gas bags" No doubt you can load an Rafale to the gills with nothing but bombs and no external fuel but the range will not be useful or realistic, and as was pointed out over 10 years ago, the F-35 can do that too, just fill to 4700 kilos instead of 8300 kilos of fuel.

this is just one example and what pickleoil and Randomradio are doing is speaking in very broad statements that upon close inspection suffer. Of course the US is not selling F-35 to Serbia! of course France is buying Rafale! or Randomradio counting 7 exports (?) while not including the fact that the F-35 is being purchased by 17 countries last I checked? so he is clearly excluding the partners nations in the exports? lets not forget Thailand, Taiwan, Turkey all desiring F-35s and being excluded from them. he is cherry picking which in some cases is understandable as we discussed pros and cons, its fair game, but this is simply ridiculous. hopefully he gets French good boy points for making such obviously biased and deliberately stilted posts, and with enough good guy points he may even get a French flag and beret in the mail! pic will give him good pets on his head! if the US decided to sell F-35s to just anyone the score would be even more lopsided and the French know this. The French overall are having a great year for weapons exports (not just the Rafale) but again the glass is always half empty. The UAE could buy 800 Rafales and they would still complain because the Swiss told them no. AUKUS still makes them unhappy etc.

"Within 24 hours on February 10-11, $22 billion worth of purchases by the Indonesian Defense Ministry of Western fighter jets were announced under two major contracts. The first was an $8.1 billion deal for 42 Rafale twin engine lightweight fighter jets from France, and the second a $13.9 billion deal for 36 F-15 Eagle heavyweight fighters from the United States."

You may want to research that a little more and also remember that the US sells more than F-35s and that is just if we are talking about aircraft. I guess "traditional" French markets is up to how you choose to define them. AUKUS not "traditionally French" so there was no market penetration there?? A lot of countries like Indonesia buy from multiple countries. Egypt buys from everywhere. The US is clearly expanding its fighter market, and namely into Eastern Europe. its like you don't even try!

Partners by definition are not exports.

Indonesia had no French aircraft. And now the French have sold them aircraft in lieu of American presence, that's stealing the market. The minute you give space to a competitor, it means you have lost leverage. Btw, Indonesia is yet to make a decision on those F-15s. So, not yet.

AUKUS? You do realise AUKUS only has the Australia, Uk and US in it, right?

USAF's own words. It's 'cause adversary capabilities have caught up.
What else does the USAF say about the F-35? Don't USAF officials also say the F-35 is the most advanced and best aircraft flying in the world today? Why don't use the USAF's own words there? how curious!

does the French water feel heavy when you carry it? SEAD is years away (after decades!) on the rafale and they are having supply and production issues. So I guess we will someday get the "Real Rafale" but not yet!

Reactions: Innominate
Partners by definition are not exports.
So you are basically having to rig the game to win so its 7-7 not 7-16?

Indonesia had no French aircraft. And now the French have sold them aircraft in lieu of American presence, that's stealing the market. The minute you give space to a competitor, it means you have lost leverage. Btw, Indonesia is yet to make a decision on those F-15s. So, not yet.
You are comparing direct US to French rather than looking at the whole. France is ceding Europe and losing leverage across all of Europe. I don't think the US really cares that Croatia is getting a Dozen Rafales if it means that they are getting the rest of Eastern Europe. Look at the scoreboard again this time without narrowing the parameters to win on technicalities. One of the reasons the US is not "penetrating French markets" as much is the simple fact that there are fewer to begin with in Europe. Just like the Dassault boss said a long time ago, the French have to play in non-traditional markets and as the Bonplan will tell you, they sell to countries that can't or won't buy US or buy US but still want a political hedge if the US cut ties or attempts to sanction.

Randomradio says "look at egypt look at indonesia"
Randomradio does not say "look at Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Czech republic, Slovakia, soon Ukraine." clearly the US is expanding its fighter markets!

Look at that Shrinking market! look at the F-35. my friend! you have taken on the French plague that losing is secretly winning! When the US captures even more markets and even blocks itself from more markets beyond that-- that is bad and doesn't count. And when the US has to share more markets that is a terrible loss! clearly the US is suffering!

you don't even try!

You are comparing direct US to French rather than looking at the whole. France is ceding Europe and losing leverage across all of Europe. I don't think the US really cares that Croatia is getting a Dozen Rafales if it means that they are getting the rest of Eastern Europe. Look at the scoreboard again this time without narrowing the parameters to win on technicalities. One of the reasons the US is not "penetrating French markets" as much is the simple fact that there are fewer to begin with in Europe. Just like the Dassault boss said a long time ago, the French have to play in non-traditional markets and as the Bonplan will tell you, they sell to countries that can't or won't buy US or buy US but still want a political hedge if the US cut ties or attempts to sanction.

Randomradio does not say "look at Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Czech republic, Slovakia, soon Ukraine." clearly the US is expanding its fighter markets!

Look at that Shrinking market! look at the F-35. my friend! you have taken on the French plague that losing is secretly winning! When the US captures even more markets and even blocks itself from more markets beyond that-- that is bad and doesn't count. And when the US has to share more markets that is a terrible loss! clearly the US is suffering!

you don't even try!
But how many Mirage 2000s have been sold in Europe? Why do you want this to change? The Americans are still selling their umbrella, and rightly so, but that has nothing to do with the qualities of the F-35.

Since 2015, the total number of Rafales to be produced has risen from 225, which is the French target, to 225 + 284, taking into account the Rafales exported since 2015, i.e. an export rate of 55.8%.

The F-35 is far from achieving this export rate, as it has a domestic market of 2,456 aircraft, total sales would have to be 5,557 aircraft for it to achieve this rate, whereas it is around 3,000.

In any case, if we'd won Belgium or Switzerland we wouldn't have been able to produce them without sacrificing other exports, and if we'd won Finland we'd have lost the United Arab Emirates because they were offended when they compared the Finnish price of the F-35 with the price you were offering them. They told us that they didn't like being taken for fools and that they would never buy an F-35.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Amarante
But how many Mirage 2000s have been sold in Europe? Why do you want this to change? The Americans are still selling their umbrella, and rightly so, but that has nothing to do with the qualities of the F-35.

When the Rafale wins its because of aircraft quality and when the F-35 wins its purely politics. Politics never plays in the Rafale's favor (Us blocking the F-16 transfer in Croatia) nor quality in the F-35's favor (myriad examples)

Since 2015, the total number of Rafales to be produced has risen from 225, which is the French target, to 225 + 284, taking into account the Rafales exported since 2015, i.e. an export rate of 55.8%.

The F-35 is far from achieving this export rate, as it has a domestic market of 2,456 aircraft, total sales would have to be 5,557 aircraft for it to achieve this rate, whereas it is around 3,000.

France has traditionally relied on large exports orders while having a more modest air force. I don't think that is anything new and its one more way of comparing the same things. The French do fine for a country their size, but they're not the US. it is different standards. Sweden is the different as well. and the EF Typhoon group does it differently too.

In any case, if we'd won Belgium or Switzerland we wouldn't have been able to produce them without sacrificing other exports, and if we'd won Finland we'd have lost the United Arab Emirates because they were offended when they compared the Finnish price of the F-35 with the price you were offering them. They told us that they didn't like being taken for fools and that they would never buy an F-35.

victory in defeat! I don't think the US was actually very serious about selling to the UAE. It seemed very strange from the start and the US seemed to self sabotage it from the beginning.

When the Rafale wins its because of aircraft quality and when the F-35 wins its purely politics. Politics never plays in the Rafale's favor (Us blocking the F-16 transfer in Croatia) nor quality in the F-35's favor (myriad examples)
Yes, politics sometimes works in the Rafale's favour, but France's political weight is so weak compared with that of the United States that the Rafale cannot win without quality, whereas the F-35 can. To put it another way, if Dassault ever makes a fighter aircraft programme of as poor quality as the F-35, it will go bankrupt.

the French have been able to push the Americans out of some of their own markets, like Egypt and Indonesia,
indonesia is yet to make a decision on those F-15s. So, not yet.
I wasn't aware Egypt was an all American market to start with, Egyptian's were the first international Mirage 2000 operator and continue to use them to this day so its not a "new market" for the French in that sense. Talks of F-15 for the Egyptians as well. And if you want to get technical about what "decisions' have been made your friend pickleoil has listed a lot of countries that have not made official "decisions" on the Rafale either and you didn't say "not yet" to him... funny that. Do you kiss pickleoil on the cheeks in European style or just straight on the lips? oh I am so silly! of course you kiss him French style. ;)

What else does the USAF say about the F-35? Don't USAF officials also say the F-35 is the most advanced and best aircraft flying in the world today? Why don't use the USAF's own words there? how curious!

You mean I should take avertising at face value?

As I said, the F-35 is the best fighter in the world, it is better than the Rafale, but only on paper. In reality it's vapourware. Today, it is just a 4th gen jet with stealth. That still gives it an enourmous advantage because passive stealth is still a few more years away from being defeated. But mano-a-mano, the Rafale will lose against the F-35 9 out of 10 times 'cause of stealth, until radar tech catches up.

Block 3F basically combines passive stealth with more advanced avionics, so by default it's better. But a lot of its capabilities are still locked away. It's like a video game in alpha testing or a movie in pre-production.

does the French water feel heavy when you carry it? SEAD is years away (after decades!) on the rafale and they are having supply and production issues. So I guess we will someday get the "Real Rafale" but not yet!

Rafale has DEAD. When they say SEAD, they are merely integrating 2 new weapons on it. So it's the weapons that are being talked about, not the aircraft.

As noted by the colonel, the initial capability will be integrated into F4-standard Rafales, with a higher-end capability earmarked for F5 aircraft. The ‘speed' weapon systems to be integrated will likely be the supersonic anti-ship missile being developed by France and the UK under Future Cruise/Anti-Ship Weapon (FC/ASW) programme (Futur Missile Anti-Navire/Futur Missile de Croisière: FMAN/FMC). The ‘saturation' element might be the Select Precision Effects At Range-Electronic Warfare (SPEAR-EW) effector, or something similar.

SPEAR-EW doesn't blow things up, it's a decoy and jammer.
SPEAR-EW is based on the SPEAR 3 air-to-surface weapon under development by MBDA. It replaces the latter’s kinetic warhead with an EW payload that is believed to include an electronic support measure (ESM) to detect, localise and identify radar threats. These threats can then be attacked electronically using the jamming payload aboard SPEAR-EW.

So think of it as a drone that's protecting the aircraft behind it.

And the FC/ASW is also called the Perseus missile concept.

It's a near-hypersonic missile, and the SEAD version may be equipped with a direction finder, apart from a terminal IIR seeker.

So it's not your traditional SEAD with HARMs. These are next gen capabilties. People forget to advertise "next gen SEAD" here. The F-35 also needs the same.

Reactions: Rajput Lion

Partners by default will favour the technology being developed in a partnership. Even LM separates them from export countries. Competitions were simply used as a negotiating tactic by some to get better deals. Many were rigged in favour of the F-35 anyway. Like the Belgians took the Growler's unit costs and applied it to the Super Hornet to make it more expensive than the F-35. Else the SH was cheaper. Just so you know, the Growler costs $120+M to the SH's $65+M versus the F-35's $80+M.

Exporters too rigged the game. Korea simply dropped the F-35 numbers. Finland kicked the Rafale out before the competition even began.

you don't even try!

Oh, yeah, I agree. The French screwed up foreign policy big time in Europe. I'd have to say France and Germany. Other countries find the US with its bigger and more serious military much more reliable in protecting them.

But this has nothing to do with the Rafale or F-35. It's about choosing their main security partner and the US is simply far more reliable.

I've already mentioned this to the European members here. As soon as the SU collapsed, NATO should have been disbanded and a new European alliance should have taken over, with the Big 5 of Europe in charge of said alliance. But France and Germany in particular prioritised short-term economic gains for access to the US market instead of playing the long game of gaining independence. And giving the US this much space in Europe's security matters has created dependencies that are now impossible to eradicate, to the point where the EU's economy is slowly becoming uncompetitive. Hell, people are saying more than half of Germany's €100B defence expenditure will now go to the US.

Perhaps now you understand why Europe has favoured the still untested, superior-on-paper F-35 over the Rafale.

Anyway the power base is shifting to the Third World, and the French are capturing the main markets there. So at least the French are playing the long game elsewhere.

I wasn't aware Egypt was an all American market to start with, Egyptian's were the first international Mirage 2000 operator and continue to use them to this day so its not a "new market" for the French in that sense. Talks of F-15 for the Egyptians as well. And if you want to get technical about what "decisions' have been made your friend pickleoil has listed a lot of countries that have not made official "decisions" on the Rafale either and you didn't say "not yet" to him... funny that. Do you kiss pickleoil on the cheeks in European style or just straight on the lips? oh I am so silly! of course you kiss him French style. ;)

Egypt chose the Rafale over American jets. Indonesia was pressured to choose the US over Russia.

Also Egypt may have operated the Mirage, but it was the old Mirage V. And the US stole the market from France with 200+ F-16s and now the French have stolen Egypt back with 54 to potentially 100 Rafales. And they are not happy with the new American offer of F-15s.

And I think you should read your signature again.
3.png

I prefer to argue on merit, not on emotions.

• Haha

my friend, If the USAF is a credible source of information then as you say "USAF's own words":

The F-35A is the U.S. Air Force’s latest fifth-generation fighter. It will replace the U.S. Air Force’s aging fleet of F-16 Fighting Falcons and A-10 Thunderbolt II’s, which have been the primary fighter aircraft for more than 20 years, and bring with it an enhanced capability to survive in the advanced threat environment in which it was designed to operate. With its aerodynamic performance and advanced integrated avionics, the F-35A will provide next-generation stealth, enhanced situational awareness, and reduced vulnerability for the United States and allied nations.

Features
The conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) F-35A gives the U.S. Air Force and its allies the power to dominate the skies – anytime, anywhere. The F-35A is an agile, versatile, high-performance, 9g capable multirole fighter that combines stealth, sensor fusion and unprecedented situational awareness.

The F-35A’s advanced sensor package is designed to gather, fuse and distribute more information than any fighter in history, giving operators a decisive advantage over all adversaries. Its processing power, open architecture, sophisticated sensors, information fusion and flexible communication links make the F-35 an indispensable tool in future homeland defense, Joint and Coalition irregular warfare and major combat operations.

(Or as they say in France "politique!")

the official USAF website FACT sheets:

As I said, the F-35 is the best fighter in the world, it is better than the Rafale, but only on paper. In reality it's vapourware. Today, it is just a 4th gen jet with stealth. That still gives it an enourmous advantage because passive stealth is still a few more years away from being defeated. But mano-a-mano, the Rafale will lose against the F-35 9 out of 10 times 'cause of stealth, until radar tech catches up.

Block 3F basically combines passive stealth with more advanced avionics, so by default it's better. But a lot of its capabilities are still locked away. It's like a video game in alpha testing or a movie in pre-production.

Its interesting. its far more generous to the F-35 than I would have expected. The whole vapourware idea wears thin when we remember that for better or worse the F-35 has its own parameters and expectations. falling short of some of these expectations does not mean the F-35 falls short of other competitors as you point out. what happens when anything else is subjected to the same JSE "block 4 or death" levels of threats? we would find there are a lot of "vapourware" aircraft out there. Which is one of the things I suspect happens at a lot of these competitions. The presumptions about what takes place at these competitions is always funny to see. What if countries were getting actual current capability comparisons and the F-35 was still winning? its hard to imagine that after 20 years of woes the F-35 is getting the most scrutiny from the forces picking it. its the highest profile, its problems are not exactly hidden... The F-35 would be facing the most difficult hill to climb. Gripen E should be the easiest for various reasons and one of those being a lack of bad press.

With respect to India and the Rafale, I would think most Indian Rafale fans would come to understand that bad reputations gained in the media are not necessarily conducive to reality. I would think you would agree the bad reputation the Rafale has garnered is not accurate.

Some of this is silly. in your example of the F-35 still not being in "full rate production" its seemingly irrelevant when 150 aircraft are being produced in "low rate" production, but the Rafale is struggling to get to 36 aircraft produce per year. but on paper the F-35 is not in full rate production and and the Rafale is in Full production (despite issues)

Rafale has DEAD. When they say SEAD, they are merely integrating 2 new weapons on it. So it's the weapons that are being talked about, not the aircraft.
if they are not talking about the aircraft why did they specifically mention F4 and F5 separately?

strange that when F-35 hasn't integrated certain weapons its "vapourware' but when the Rafale has not integrated something, its just a matter of needing more time to unlock that future capability of course!

it all sounds very familiar... I've also noticed that when the F-35 is going to get something someday in general its met with great skepticism but when the Rafale is going to get something someday its already assumed that it has it already and instantly counts in its favor, even if the capability is years away.

So it's not your traditional SEAD with HARMs. These are next gen capabilties. People forget to advertise "next gen SEAD" here. The F-35 also needs the same.
The F-35 is a next gen Fighter that uses next genearrion capabilities that already does SEAD... remember its the Rafale playing "next generation" catch up here and the idea behind a something like an F-35 is that its stealth and sensor combination means using more conventional weapons as opposed to hypersonic silver bullets you will never have enough of. (The affordable, not yet invented anti-radar hypersonic missile is not vapourware of course)

are you the same fellow posting youtubes from MBDA about how great this concept missile is going to be because MBDA says so?

Is it such a surprise that CAATSA has killed the Russian market and France is benefiting? They should thank the US for nearly every sale.

If you disagree, you can google a list for 2002 and show differently.
Rank
SupplierArms Exp
(in million TIV)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom

1950–2019
Rank
SupplierArms Exp
(in billion TIV)
United States
Russia*
United Kingdom
France
Germany
China

• Agree
Reactions: Panzerjager
Egypt chose the Rafale over American jets.

I don't think they are picking anything over anything. They will still operate American aircraft next to french aircraft. Which is what has been taking place for 40 years.

I don't see how there can be anything "Stolen" when a shared existence was already the case? Egypt is still the 4th largest F-16 operator in the world. you are a child if you believe procuring rafales makes all the F-16s disappear, anymore than buying F-16s made the Mirage 2000s evaporate.

The F-16 currently outnumbers the Rafale in Egyptian service 10:1. when all the rafales are delivered it will be about 4 F-16s for every Rafale.

Also Egypt may have operated the Mirage, but it was the old Mirage V. And the US stole the market from France with 200+ F-16s and now the French have stolen Egypt back with 54 to potentially 100 Rafales. And they are not happy with the new American offer of F-15s.

7tzwfk.jpg

Egyptian Mirage 2000

The Egyptians have wanted the F-15s for a long time, and the US Refusal to sell them F-15s is one of the reasons Egypt went to Flankers in the first place. Since Russia is falling from grace and not exactly going to be able to have reliable export support going into the future the US is working on getting Egypt the F-15s. Since Egypt is not stupid, I presume they are not happy with the American offer, because that is how you get leverage in ongoing negotiations. The US wants to sell and Egypt wants to buy, but Egypt wants to get the best deal possible, they likely want AMRAAM authorization as well.

I prefer to argue on merit, not on emotions.

i wish that was so...

Why are you using words like "stolen" to describe some kind of TV style dramatization for a country that has operated different types from different countries for decades? You said the French took egypt as a "new market."-- false. The Mirage 2000 that is still in service there would indicate there has been a French presence for some time. one could say the French are "expanding their previous market", but is it a new market to France? clearly not. That is not an argument "on merit," and "stolen" implies something is taken that does not belong and that a crime is being committed as opposed to someone making a choice or having a preference. its emotional language with heavy implications. Before the Egyptians ordered Rafale they bought Mig-29s from Russia, so did Russia "Steal" from the US? or did the French steal from the Russians? all 3 types operate there.

its insulting to the French to ignore the Mirage 2000 sale (emotionally that makes me happy) to build a false narrative that France is the newcomer "stealing" from the US. You are not as sophisticated as you hope, and your accuracy leaves a lot to be desired even if emotion was removed-- but even then it is not. it just looks like "Fanboying" when Egypts numbers are actually looked at. Its going to take the full Rafale order of 24+30 just to surpass the current 40+ Mig-29s flying in Egypt. not to mention all the other American things that fly in Egypt. presumably if the F-15 deal goes through the US will have "Stolen" from France and the US will be "winning' in Egypt, until of course the Egyptians order something from France again... Then you can tell us how France has captured a "new" and previously "All American" market!

It has been enjoyable watching you pretend to be mature while missing what any grown up can plainly see yet you ignored in order to promote a falsehood that supported your preferred end in order to "get" those dastardly Rafale doubters

Is it such a surprise that CAATSA has killed the Russian market and France is benefiting? They should thank the US for nearly every sale.

If you disagree, you can google a list for 2002 and show differently.
Rank
SupplierArms Exp
(in million TIV)
United States
France
Russia
China
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Germany
United Kingdom

1950–2019
Rank
SupplierArms Exp
(in billion TIV)
United States
Russia*
United Kingdom
France
Germany
China

Good god! :oops:

Which means we are yet to see a proper F-35 vs Rafale competition without bias favouring the F-35.
1. we need a proper competition!

2. That competition was not proper, since we lost

repeat steps 1-2 until preferred result is achieved