Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

What I understand is that the VMC is intended to host critical software while the TR3 is for mission software. for example the flight controls are in the VMC but the navigation is in TR3. Navigation allows the display of virtual flight instruments and from my point of view it is necessary to fly comfortably although it is not as critical as the flight controls. For me in the mini TR3 there will be navigation and other things like OBOGS management for example but not electronic warfare or DASS management.

You can't assume TR-3 was a complete zero when LM presented the jet for acceptance. It would have come with all that already. TR-3 runs the entire cockpit.

There's obviously more to the acceptance test than we know. They must have been talking about a particular software release, not the bare minimum necessary to fly the jet, since TR-3 has been flying 6 months prior to delivery.

So they are most definitely referring to warfighting capabilities. TR-3 is supposed to fully unlock Block 3F, so that's probably where it fell behind.

“I wish I had all of the solutions in place that prove to me that when I do something in the lab, it’s going to show up that way in the air,” Schmidt says.

The disparity between software stability in Lockheed’s laboratories and the Defense Department’s fleet of F-35 flight test aircraft has prompted new doubts about the program’s ability to meet schedule targets.

Lots of other details in this article.

You can't assume TR-3 was a complete zero when LM presented the jet for acceptance. It would have come with all that already. TR-3 runs the entire cockpit.

There's obviously more to the acceptance test than we know. They must have been talking about a particular software release, not the bare minimum necessary to fly the jet, since TR-3 has been flying 6 months prior to delivery.

So they are most definitely referring to warfighting capabilities. TR-3 is supposed to fully unlock Block 3F, so that's probably where it fell behind.

“I wish I had all of the solutions in place that prove to me that when I do something in the lab, it’s going to show up that way in the air,” Schmidt says.

The disparity between software stability in Lockheed’s laboratories and the Defense Department’s fleet of F-35 flight test aircraft has prompted new doubts about the program’s ability to meet schedule targets.

Lots of other details in this article.

Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software as DOD hunts for delivery fix

WASHINGTON — The first production F-35 Joint Strike Fighter with an early, incomplete version of the software powering a key upgrade was flown last week at Lockheed Martin’s Fort Worth, Texas, facility, the company told Defense News.

The Pentagon’s F-35 Joint Program Office is considering whether a strategy of loading interim versions of the Technology Refresh 3 software into the latest F-35s might provide a way to end a months-long delivery halt, and allow the government to start accepting the latest versions of the fighter.
[...]
The JPO confirmed in an email that it’s looking for a way to resume acceptance flights for the latest F-35s before TR-3 is completely finished.
[...]

these initial flights will allow the final acceptance flight process to move more quickly once the software is approved for operational use.

Upgraded F-35s fly with partial software as DOD hunts for delivery fix

WASHINGTON — The first production F-35 Joint Strike Fighter with an early, incomplete version of the software powering a key upgrade was flown last week at Lockheed Martin’s Fort Worth, Texas, facility, the company told Defense News.

The Pentagon’s F-35 Joint Program Office is considering whether a strategy of loading interim versions of the Technology Refresh 3 software into the latest F-35s might provide a way to end a months-long delivery halt, and allow the government to start accepting the latest versions of the fighter.
[...]
The JPO confirmed in an email that it’s looking for a way to resume acceptance flights for the latest F-35s before TR-3 is completely finished.
[...]

these initial flights will allow the final acceptance flight process to move more quickly once the software is approved for operational use.

I know. But my point was this partial software may still be more than what TR-2 provided, just not sufficient enough for acceptance.

Or, more likely, LM may have imposed temporary operational limitations until a bit more of the software is tested, enough to piss off the JPO. And then, after rejecting the initial delivery, it's also possible the JPO may have set their sights on a more advanced version of the software to make up for the delay, like they have done with Block 4.

'Cause it's very hard to believe LM would offer up a practically grounded jet for acceptance. There's no chance of that. Naturally, LM would have completed factory tests before the acceptance tests.

I know. But my point was this partial software may still be more than what TR-2 provided, just not sufficient enough for acceptance.

Or, more likely, LM may have imposed temporary operational limitations until a bit more of the software is tested, enough to piss off the JPO. And then, after rejecting the initial delivery, it's also possible the JPO may have set their sights on a more advanced version of the software to make up for the delay, like they have done with Block 4.

'Cause it's very hard to believe LM would offer up a practically grounded jet for acceptance. There's no chance of that. Naturally, LM would have completed factory tests before the acceptance tests.
That's what I was saying: you are very optimistic about the F-35. :ROFLMAO:

TR-3 opens up Block 4.1 to 4.3 over the course of the bulk deliveries. It won't lead to standardization issues anymore, until the next block. It would imply the jet will be ready for full rate this year, and deliveries starting in 2026.

TR-3 opens up Block 4.1 to 4.3 over the course of the bulk deliveries. It won't lead to standardization issues anymore, until the next block. It would imply the jet will be ready for full rate this year, and deliveries starting in 2026.

The software they're trying to develop is normally the basic TR3 software, but the difficulty they're probably encountering is that the Blk 3 F software, which had fallen into operation with TR2, refuses to fall into operation with TR3.

Block 4 is too late to be used contractually for aircraft reception, so 3F absolutely has to work with TR3. As 3F was working with TR2, they had to blame TR3, even though the change in basic software also revealed dormant bugs in 3F.

To get out of this, they have to integrate 3F function by function: they start with the navigation, when that works they add the anemo management, then the inertial, the GPS etc. then the sensors one by one Radar IRST EW... until everything works (even the opening of the holds and the firing of the missiles).

But it's obvious that the aircraft is capable of flying before everything works, so they shouldn't try to use what hasn't been validated. Now they have around 60 aircraft to get approved, and let's assume that there are 5 test flights per aircraft.

If TR3 is able to fly with a configuration that allows it to make the first test flight, They can make this flight for the 60 aircraft and that's all they won't have to do later, and besides they can start again when TR3 can fly with a 3F configuration that allows it to make the second test, etc...

The software they're trying to develop is normally the basic TR3 software, but the difficulty they're probably encountering is that the Blk 3 F software, which had fallen into operation with TR2, refuses to fall into operation with TR3.

Block 4 is too late to be used contractually for aircraft reception, so 3F absolutely has to work with TR3. As 3F was working with TR2, they had to blame TR3, even though the change in basic software also revealed dormant bugs in 3F.

To get out of this, they have to integrate 3F function by function: they start with the navigation, when that works they add the anemo management, then the inertial, the GPS etc. then the sensors one by one Radar IRST EW... until everything works (even the opening of the holds and the firing of the missiles).

But it's obvious that the aircraft is capable of flying before everything works, so they shouldn't try to use what hasn't been validated. Now they have around 60 aircraft to get approved, and let's assume that there are 5 test flights per aircraft.

If TR3 is able to fly with a configuration that allows it to make the first test flight, They can make this flight for the 60 aircraft and that's all they won't have to do later, and besides they can start again when TR3 can fly with a 3F configuration that allows it to make the second test, etc...

You are speculating this though, 'cause the resources they have and timeframe don't match each other.

If they have to re-integrate every function all over again, then they will need all 9 flight sciences aircraft instead of 3 and more time than just 6-9 months to finish.

You are speculating this though, 'cause the resources they have and timeframe don't match each other.

If they have to re-integrate every function all over again, then they will need all 9 flight sciences aircraft instead of 3 and more time than just 6-9 months to finish.
Yes, that's what I think: I don't give any credence to what Lockheed Martin or the JPO says.

Yes, that's what I think: I don't give any credence to what Lockheed Martin or the JPO says.

Okay, so normally it should take a minimum of 2 years from July 2023. But if they manage to do it within the next 6 months, or even 2-3 months beyond that, with just 3 airframes instead of 9 then this problem will have been vastly overestimated.

Why I don't give Lockheed any credit:

Paul Solomon3307
Meadow Oak DriveWestlake
Village, CA 91361​
January 4, 2018​

The Honorable John McCain
Chairman, Senate Armed Services Committee
241 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Subject: Fraud on the F-35 Program and Need for Acquisition Reform

Dear Sen. McCain:
I seek your continuing support regarding two issues:

1. Fraudulent claims on the F-35 program and retribution to the taxpayer
2. Acquisition reform regarding earned value management (EVM)

Fraudulent Claims

Last month, a federal appeals court issued an opinion which killed my False Claims Act (FCA) or whistleblower suit regarding the F-35 program.

Per my complaint, “This is a case of fraud by two major defense contractors, whowrongfully obtained lucrative defense contracts and contract payments by submittinggrossly understated cost estimates and using improper accounting to conceal their costoverruns, resulting in a loss to the United States government in the hundreds of millionsof dollars. Defendants Lockheed Martin Corp. (LM) and Northrop Grumman SystemsCorp (NGC)…conspired to defraud the government in at least three ways.

First, Defendants obtained a contract modification and increased funding (Over TargetBaseline or OTB) for the F-35 program in 2005 by knowingly submitting grossly understated cost estimates (Estimate at Completion or EAC), misleading the governmentinto believing the F-35 program was more affordable than it actually was.

Second, after securing the contract modification, Defendants incurred substantial and foreseeable cost overruns. Lockheed and Northrop concealed these overruns byimproperly diverting funds from “Management Reserve (MR),” a budget reserve that isset aside for unanticipated future needs and is specifically prohibited from being used tocover cost overruns.

Third, by covering up their cost overruns, presenting a misleadingly rosy picture of their performance on measures of cost control, and setting performance goals which they knewall along they would not be able to meet, Lockheed and Northrop were able to secure larger profits in the form of higher performance-based Award Fees than were warrantedbased on their actual contract performance.”

Regarding cost overruns and award fees, the complaint was thrown out because the courtfound that the elements of the alleged fraud had been publicly disclosed before my suit was filed. Per the Court, the public disclosures must provide “‘specific details about the fraudulent scheme and the types of actors involved in it’ sufficient to ‘set the government on the trail of the fraud.”

Regarding the knowingly understated EAC that was used to secure a $6 billion contract modification, NGC, in its brief to the district court, stated that it did not use the “most likely” EAC, as required by the regulations, but instead used a “should cost” estimate, Per NGC,“should cost” is a widely recognized cost estimating concept in government contracting that necessarily produces estimates that are lower than “most likely.” The (publicly) announced deviation from “most likely” is something no reasonable government official would have missed.

”The FCA suit, filed in 2012, had been preceded by several actions:
  1. My internal Corporate Ethics investigation at NGC.
  2. My letter to you and the GAO Fraudnet in November 2011. GAO turned it over tothe DoD IG which turned it over to the DoJ, AUSA Clay Mahaffey
  3. My FCA suit. After a year of DoJ investigation, I initiated the whistleblower suit toseek, hopefully, swifter justice. The outcome was neither swift nor just. So, I amasking you to consider taking actions to prod continuing federal investigation andto deter future, fraudulent or deceptive corporate behavior.
It is ironic that the public disclosures included DCMA and GAO reports that were based on my surveillance reports as a Northrop Grumman employee. In the meantime, the defendants profited and there is no imminent retribution to the taxpayer.

Acquisition Reform

You often discuss our flawed defense acquisition system and have authored acquisition reforms in National Defense Authorization Acts (NDAA). However, the recent NDAAs, and the earlier WSARA reforms, failed to address significant deficiencies in the acquisition regulations which enable contractors to report monthly EVM cost and schedule performance, including the most likely Estimate at Completion (EAC), that are inaccurate and misleading.

In a letter to you in October 2011, subject: “Cost Controls on the F-35 and the Need for Acquisition Reform of EVM” I reported similar conditions to you. In 2016, I discussed with Ms. Gabriel, DoD’s failure to implement improvements that were discussed in its 2010 DoD EVM Report to Congress that was required by WSARA. I also cited my article which addressed the failures of DoD to implement the objective of its 2004 Policy for Systems Engineering (SE) Policy. That objective was cited in the DoD EVM Report. The article cites a DCMA assessment that contractors are not integrating Technical Performance Measurement (TPM) with EVM and points out that contractors are not even required to use processes that would enable a program manager to adhere to DoD instructions and guidance regarding TPMs and SE.

Working Together for Justice and Acquisition Reform

I have initiated contact with Mr. Lehman and provided supporting documents. I hope to work with him on proposed acquisition reforms that should be included in the next NDAA.

Regarding justice for the taxpayers and establishing a deterrent to future corporate misbehavior, please consider following up on the federal investigation or making other appropriate inquiries.

Some of the questions that you, DoJ, or another oversight agency should ask are:

What action did NGC take as result of its internal ethics investigation?

Why did the LM and NGC Vice Presidents, Dan Crowley and Janis Pamiljans, crow about the award fees in management communications with employees when they knew that the basis of the award fees, “improved” cost performance, was based on the misuse of Management Reserve (MR) to offset true cost overruns?

Why did the F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO), other DoD oversight agencies, and the GAO not detect the fraudulent actions?

Why did the F-35 JPO fail to take back undeserved award fees after publication of the DCMA and GAO reports that cited misuse of MR to improve the Cost Performance Index?

With regards to my claim of fraudulent inducement, why was the $ 6 billion contract modification approved based on a “should cost” EAC which was lower than the “most likely” EAC? Were the approving authorities cognizant that the EAC that Lockheed Martin submitted in its request for approval of additional funds and a contract modification was lower than the “most likely EAC” that was required by the EVM guidelines and the Over Target Baseline (OTB) Guide?

Yours truly, Paul J. Solomon
818-212-8462
[email protected]

Performance-Based Earned Value

This standard, maintained by the NDIA, has loopholes and deficiencies that enable contractors to submit flawed, inaccurate data to the military. Even if a DCMA compliance review determines that a contractor is compliant with the guidelines, the loopholes enable a contractor to overstate progress and understate final costs. Consequently, a DCMA compliance review can provide false assurance to the Program Manager.

A key deficiency is the lack of a requirement for contractors to link earned value to technical performance or quality.

Sen. Collins said the following about EVM in the WSARA conference report: “GAO observed that contractor reporting on EVM often lacks consistency, leading to inaccurate data and faulty application of the EVM metric. In other words, garbage in, garbage out.”

The two most important deficiencies are:
1. Contractors are able to overstate progress and understate final costs (called Estimate at Completion or EAC) by basing earned value on the quantity of work performed, not on technical performance or quality.
2. Contractors routinely use “Management Reserve” (MR) as a slush fund for additional budget to compensate for poor planning, to reduce reported cost overruns, and to provide additional budget for tests and rework to designs that fail to meet technical performance or quality objectives.

The current DFARS enables contractors to submit flawed, monthly Contract Performance Reports that overstate cost and schedule performance and understate the final costs (called Estimate at Completion or EAC).

Unfortunately for taxpayers, contractors often exploit permissive EVMS guidelines and submit monthly contract performance reports (CPR) that overstate cost and schedule performance and understate the estimated completion costs and schedule. The CPRs often fail to provide an early warning of pending funding shortfalls and delays to providing working weapons to the warfighters.

Reactions: randomradio
So basically I'm not being optimistic, just pragmatic, you are being pessimistic.

Your assumption will be right only if JPO says they need way more time than assumed, ie, Apr-June 2025, ie, 2 years.

And once TR-3 is ready, B4 development will become more predictable.
My estimate of the time it will take, given my understanding of what is happening on the technical side, which is based on more than ten years of the programme's history and not just on the few recent articles we've just read, is not 2 but 3 years.

My estimate of the time it will take, given my understanding of what is happening on the technical side, which is based on more than ten years of the programme's history and not just on the few recent articles we've just read, is not 2 but 3 years.

Okay, so I believe it will happen within this year, and you believe it will take until July 2026?

And just to be clear, this is about getting TR-3 ready and the first bulk order based on it, not the initial B4 capabilities aimed for 2026?

Okay, so I believe it will happen within this year, and you believe it will take until July 2026?

And just to be clear, this is about getting TR-3 ready and the first bulk order based on it, not the initial B4 capabilities aimed for 2026?
To be clear, this is the date when the TR-3 will be fully operational in flight. L.M. is perfectly capable of taking a grouped order even if the TR-3 is not ready, so I don't see this as a criterion. But yes, the initial capabilities of the B4 are for much later, only it's not clearly defined what those initial capabilities are.

To be clear, this is the date when the TR-3 will be fully operational in flight. L.M. is perfectly capable of taking a grouped order even if the TR-3 is not ready, so I don't see this as a criterion. But yes, the initial capabilities of the B4 are for much later, only it's not clearly defined what those initial capabilities are.

LM is fine with a bulk order, they can do that even today, they have been asking for it for years now. But the USAF wants full Block 3F capabilities introduced before they allow FRP.

Also, TR-3 development will continue even after it is delivered, so that's not gonna change.

During the Jan. 6 test, Luersen performed what is known as a functional check flight profile meant to “verify aircraft airworthiness and system stability” of TR-3 aboard the F-35, explained the JPO. The overall flight lasted for 50 minutes above the Mojave Desert and saw the stealth jet reach heights of 35,000 feet and a velocity of just below the speed of sound. The test served as only the beginning of flight evaluations with TR-3, as the JPO added that developmental and operational tests will continue through 2023.

So, TR-3 delivery in July 2023, the development continues, then FRP in 2024. Then all the B4 releases from 2026. That was the objective.

LM is fine with a bulk order, they can do that even today, they have been asking for it for years now. But the USAF wants full Block 3F capabilities introduced before they allow FRP.

Also, TR-3 development will continue even after it is delivered, so that's not gonna change.

During the Jan. 6 test, Luersen performed what is known as a functional check flight profile meant to “verify aircraft airworthiness and system stability” of TR-3 aboard the F-35, explained the JPO. The overall flight lasted for 50 minutes above the Mojave Desert and saw the stealth jet reach heights of 35,000 feet and a velocity of just below the speed of sound. The test served as only the beginning of flight evaluations with TR-3, as the JPO added that developmental and operational tests will continue through 2023.

So, TR-3 delivery in July 2023, the development continues, then FRP in 2024. Then all the B4 releases from 2026. That was the objective.
As I already said TR3 is certainly funtional, what is not functional is the integration of 3F with TR3 and it is needed to make reception of plane with TR3. And I have described the integration step by step needed for that, and it's a long process. Because they will have to improve 3F and correct a lot of anomalies that they wanted to address later.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
As I already said TR3 is certainly funtional, what is not functional is the integration of 3F with TR3 and it is needed to make reception of plane with TR3. And I have described the integration step by step needed for that, and it's a long process. Because they will have to improve 3F and correct a lot of anomalies that they wanted to address later.

I suppose we will have the answer in a few months then. Either LM successfully delivers TR-3, or they are gonna announce more delays.

Reactions: Picdelamirand-oil