Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning and F-22 'Raptor' : News & Discussion

SInce you have seen with these video what I'm explaining know you can understand what is writen in this article :
F-35 Lightning II Fighter Canopy - 3D Metrology Software, Training and CMMs
I take up the interesting parts of the article:
"
Each manufactured canopy optically distorts the view of the outside world in a unique way. Air and ground targets viewed through heads-up and helmet-mounted displays can be distorted by imperceptible deviations in canopy thickness, curvature and material. Put simply, the canopy can have a direct effect on weapon accuracy. To mitigate this, each canopy is manufactured and checked to extremely tight tolerances. Each canopy is then optically mapped and matched to a specific aircraft as part of the assembly process, with optical deviation data stored in on-board systems to correct the canopy's vision.

The F-35's canopy is both an aerodynamic component and a lens that transmits and refracts light. Add to this the aircraft's performance capabilities and flying objectives, and there is little room for error surrounding the entire canopy system. Identifying and minimizing canopy tool surface waviness helps to mitigate optical and aerodynamic deviations, maintain surface performance and reduce the amount of optical correction required from on-board systems.
"

• Informative
Reactions: Bon Plan
Another post that shows how and especially why each canopy is calibrated :

Same I extract the important elements:

“Optical deviations vary considerably for azimuth, which is defined by left and right head movement, and elevation, defined by up and down movement. Deviations also vary with the position of the eyes in the cockpit. This position changes with head movement and seat height.”

“Each manufactured canopy optically distorts the view of the outside world in a unique way” => this one is important because it shows that the slightest variation from one canopy to another has an influence that must be known. The consequence is that the slightest variation over time in the canopy's parameters must also be known.

From the article above I also extract this sentence, which speaks without saying so about the SCORPION:

“The defined area of observation depends on the aircraft and the targeting system. For example, a more detailed map is required for an F-16 equipped with a helmet-mounted tracking system than for an F-16 without such a system.”

We deduce from this that a more detailed knowledge of the rafale canopy is required with SCORPION than without SCORPION helmet. And that, if the SCORPION is to be used effectively, care will have to be taken to ensure that its parameters do not drift.

• Informative
Calibration of these canopies, the result of which is a LUT (look-up table), is therefore crucial, but insufficient to correct deviations with SCORPION or HMDS. We also need to know how the canopy deforms in flight due to air pressure, vibrations and, above all, heating.

The material used for these canopies is Plexiglas, otherwise known as PMMA. PMMA is highly sensitive to heat.

And according to this link, above 80°C the mechanical properties of PMMA are severely affected. The glass transition point of PMMA is 110°C. 110° or beyond is also a temperature that can be reached by the nose of an airplane at supersonic speeds. Beyond the glass transition point, a material begins to soften.

Et le nez de Concorde bascula ! - APCOS is the final reference.

• Informative
The F-35 can't fly too fast or too low, otherwise the nose heats up too much for the PMMA.

The lucky thing about the Rafale is that it has a two-part canopy. And the part most affected by the heat is the smaller one.

The other advantage is that the SCORPION is not indispensable to the pilot. He can carry out all his missions without the SCORPION. This is not the case with the HMDS, which is indispensable whatever the mission.

I've demonstrated factually that the visor has an effect on the F-35's flight envelope, especially during supersonic flight.

I've also given some clues as to why the Rafale, although affected by the same phenomenon, is less sensitive to it.

• Informative
Then If you're in charge of one rafale or F-35 squadron what could you do to deal with phenomenon.
In the SCORPION case you can choose to not use it on the rafale with the oldest canopies but with the F-35 it's not possible. The second point is that there're in fact two canopy with the rafale. The most affected in the front one. And it is much easier and cheaper to only change this one.

Then we've this link and why I've stressed just one word in it :

Declaration from Taclet on the F-35 canopy.
For example, the supply of F-35 canopies is “one of the big degraders we have,” Taiclet said, suggesting that the company relies on only one supplier for that element.

All to tell that even if the HMDS is a master piece of technology the problem is that there is no B plan to this helmet. With Scorpion you can choose to make your mission without it and then to use much older canopy. This is not possible with HMDS.

• Informative
I see the F-35 continues to be on your mind, sunshine. It haunts you it won't let you sleep it seems, meanwhile while you Rafail fanboys obsess about the most advanced fighter (F-35) we regular folks never think about rafale until we visit a military forum on the fighter section thread and get reminded how you rafafle fanboys have a huge inferiority complex when it comes to your cute plane.

Does he know that the scorpion HMD is US production tech? Put on a few old US platforms. A10 for example and that they didn't need the tech any more. So they sold the manufacuring to France.

Second rate tech now,:poop: but herciv will tell you it's next gen. :)
For France, they have nothing better. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: Spitfire6

US Military’s ‘Most Ambitions’ F-35 Lightning II JSF Program Entangled In Tech Delays – All You Want To Know

The F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) is the Department of Defense’s most ambitious program. It plays a critical role in the US military’s capability to counter threats from global adversaries. Allies in Europe and the Indo-Pacific have widely acquired F-35s, which are expected to play a crucial role in tackling Russian and Chinese threats.

The frustration over delays in the F-35’s Tech Refresh 3 (TR-3) update has reached a boiling point, with the US House Armed Services Committee (HASC) proposing a significant reduction in the purchase of F-35s in fiscal 2025.

Led by Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Ala.), the HASC unveiled its “chairman’s mark” of the 2025 National Defense Authorization Act, which includes reducing nearly $1 billion from F-35 procurement.

The withheld funds, approximately $850 million, will be reallocated to address critical needs within the F-35 program. Among the essential needs are adding another Cooperative Avionics Test Bed aircraft, establishing a “digital twin” for the F-35, and expanding a Mission Software Integration Laboratory.

A staffer for a HASC subcommittee member expressed the committee’s frustration, emphasizing the urgency of resolving the persistent delays plaguing the F-35 project.

“We are tired of talking about [F-35 delays] and hearing excuses…Once and for all, let’s get this thing straightened out,” the staffer asserted, highlighting the committee’s support for the F-35 but stressing the imperative of establishing a solid foundation with the TR-3 update.

In the fiscal 2025 budget, the Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy collectively requested 68 F-35s, with allocations of 42, 13, and 13 fighters, respectively.

The proposed draft adjustments would reduce the collective F-35 purchase by at least 10 planes, down to 58 comprising 36 F-35As, 11 F-35Bs, and 11 F-35Cs among the services.

However, further cuts could be imposed if corrective actions are not implemented swiftly. Without satisfactory measures, the total procurement could drop to just 48 F-35s.

This would leave the Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy with 30, 9, and 9 F-35s, respectively—a significant setback for all branches involved.

Another high-ranking staff member representing the committee’s Democrats said lawmakers were keen to see the F-35 program’s success, recognizing its crucial importance to the Pentagon.

However, the challenges associated with TR-3 had to be resolved to pave the way for the Block 4 upgrades. These upgrades are anticipated to encompass enhanced capabilities such as increased weapon-carrying capacity and improved electronic warfare capabilities.

Draft Mandates Defense Secretary To Develop Enhanced F-35 Acquisition Strategy

The draft mandates that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin develop and deliver a revised acquisition strategy for the F-35 program, inclusive of specific actions and milestones. The directive also calls for a “digital twin” of the aircraft and its mission systems.

A digital twin constitutes a comprehensive digital replica of the aircraft, encompassing all components, including fasteners. Such models are typically instrumental in refining designs and streamlining upgrade processes.

Further, Austin has been tasked with formulating an acquisition strategy to procure a new Cooperative Avionics Test Bed aircraft tailored for the F-35 enterprise.

Presently, there is a single 737-based “CATbird”. It is government-owned and contractor-operated and it is utilized for testing radars, avionics, and other equipment relevant to the F-35.

In addition to these directives, the Defense Secretary has been instructed to devise a strategy for establishing a new F-35 mission software integration laboratory (SIL). This facility will facilitate concurrent testing of TR-2 and TR-3 mission system hardware, software, and existing or new F-35 capabilities, streamlining the integration process.

Procuring and constructing a new CATbird and a new SIL entails intricate processes. The CATbird is a highly customized aircraft that must undergo extensive modifications, including integrating F-35 components and sophisticated evaluation equipment.

Traditionally, modifying the original aircraft takes over a year to complete. This highlights the complexity and time-intensive nature of the endeavor.

Similarly, establishing a new SIL necessitates not only the construction of a suitable facility but also the recruitment of skilled software engineers, a task compounded by the challenges faced by the defense industry in hiring programmers.

To address these initiatives, the House Armed Services Committee has allocated specific funding amounts. $200 million, for instance, has been earmarked for the procurement of a new CATbird, acknowledging the substantial investment required for such a specialized aircraft.

Additionally, $350 million has been designated for the creation of digital twins. Finally, $300 million has been allocated to establish the SIL, recognizing the resources necessary to construct the facility and recruit qualified personnel.

Ongoing Challenges With TR-3

TR-3 heralded as a crucial batch of upgrades laying the foundation for the more extensive Block 4 enhancements, has encountered persistent challenges, particularly with its software functionality and production delays of key components.

As a result, the newest F-35s equipped with TR-3 features have been rendered non-operational, delaying delivery timelines and impeding combat readiness.

Initially slated for completion over a year ago, TR-3 remains overdue, with deliveries potentially resuming only by the third quarter of 2024. Even after the deliveries of TR-3-equipped jets, their readiness for combat missions is not anticipated until 2025.

Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael J. Schmidt, the Program Executive Officer for the F-35, highlighted the decelerated pace of TR-3 testing, citing insufficient test assets and a shortage of programmers as major contributing factors.

Consequently, aircraft manufactured with the TR-3 hardware/software package have been left idle immediately after production. An estimated 75 completed aircraft are warehoused at an undisclosed location, awaiting delivery.

An F-35A, in flight above the Mojave Desert in California, January 6, 2023. (F-35 JPO)
Compounding the delays, the Block 4 upgrade, reliant on TR-3 as its foundation, is undergoing a reevaluation process. A revised timeline has been proposed, deferring many Block 4 capabilities to the 2030s, further elongating the timeline for comprehensive upgrades to the F-35 fleet.

Despite efforts to mitigate delays, the completion of TR-3 testing remains a year behind schedule. Schmidt attested that even a “truncated” version of the software, offering partial functionalities, would not be available until the third quarter of this year.

While international partners have signaled acceptance of this truncated version to expedite deliveries, a final decision remains pending till the software stabilizes.

Jim Taiclet, chairman of Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer of the F-35, underscored the significance of the truncated software, labeling it as a “combat-capable training” version.

However, with only 75 -110 of the planned 156 F-35s slated for delivery in 2024, the delays will affect the US and foreign customers who will have to wait for the transition from legacy fighters to the advanced F-35 platform.

Block 4 + is an advanced update, more like a MLU. They are splitting it to software and hardware.
The tr3 is this year and combat ready next year. 4+ will go to mid 30's. So a lot more hit pieces to come.

Block 4 + is an advanced update, more like a MLU.
:ROFLMAO:
A major theme weaved throughout DOT&E’s F-35 report is the program’s immaturity, despite the fact that development has been underway since the beginning of the century. Even though the program still hasn’t met the criteria for full rate production of the initial version of the jet, the Pentagon launched a “modernization” effort variously referred to as Block 4 or Continuous Capability Development and Delivery (C2D2) in 2017. While program officials called the effort a modernization plan, what they were really doing was pushing unfinished development work to a later phase after they ran out of money and time to complete basic design work. But even this phase of the program has floundered by blowing right past delivery schedules and seeing costs rise from $10.6 billion to $16.5 billion for the additional development work.

• Haha
Reactions: Ironhide and Herciv
Does he know that the scorpion HMD is US production tech? Put on a few old US platforms. A10 for example and that they didn't need the tech any more. So they sold the manufacuring to France.

Second rate tech now,:poop: but herciv will tell you it's next gen. :)
For France, they have nothing better. 🤣
At least it don't break the spine of their pilot.....

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion
Trillion Dollar Trainwreck:

How The F-35 Hollowed Out The U.S. Air Force –

interview with author Bill Sweetman

The F-35 used to have a largely negative public perception, but this seems to have changed with a media offensive in the 2010s, with many public interviews with test pilot Flynn and other pilots enthusing about the F-35’s capabilities for stealth and situational awareness – what do you make of this shift in perception?

Not sure I’d agree that there was a shift. Aside from myself and a few others (APA for instance) there were more enthusiasts, and they were louder. Although there was a change in propaganda around 2008 as LM got ready to ditch support for the F-22 and go all-in on F-35. I think that a lot of people who could have helped form opinions just gave up. It certainly wasn’t career-enhancing.

What does the recent GAO report tell us about the health of the F-35 programme?

The most recent report is a shocker, even for me. It shows that the entire Block 4 upgrade plan has been found unrealistic. In early 2023, delivery of a combat-ready TR3 was expected in ~8 months. Now, more than a year later, it’s 18 months. They have done source selection for the upgraded engine (want to bet it won’t be a new engine by the time they’re done) without a requirement or a plan. Meteor? Spear 3? Don’t even ask.

Is the management of F-35 much worse than all other fighters? How is it compared to say the Typhoon, Rafale or Kaan?

No programme has been this late, or overrun by this much, when it has always been fully funded and the requirements have never been tightened, only relaxed. I go into detail in the book, but it has to do with the power of the mega-contractors that formed in the 1990s, the fact that the JPO doesn’t report to an operational user, and the absence of an alternative.

Typhoon had a lot of trouble, but a lot of it has been political, mostly British-German politics. Germany was ready to scrap it completely in the early 90s. Later, production and upgrade orders kept getting delayed because Germany was in an election year, the British Treasury was on the warpath, “why are you buying these relics when Our Boys need MRAPs?” and so on.

Much respect to the French. The end of the Cold War left the AdlA with a lot of quite new M2000s and the Aeronavale with museum-piece F-8s, so they built their fighter program around those data points, with M2000 upgrades and an F1/F2/F3 process that they had defined in the mid-90s and delivered on time.

I can’t say much about KAAAAAAAN! as William Shatner would call it.

What fighter would you choose to go to war in, and why?

I prefer to use them to deter war. Rafale has a vast range of capabilities available, may not be the best at everything, but is well balanced, has a solid upgrade program, and – I hate to say this is important, but it is – is very free from U.S. content. Gripen E is very close and less costly to operate (so I can field more of them), and may be better in some ways if that Mongo EW system does what it says on the tin.

I may be wrong, but I feel I recall the JSF being promised as an extremely low-cost easy-to-maintain Mach 2 fighter-bomber*, do I recall this correctly and is it?

It was always M=1.6. But yes, it was advertised as being cheap to maintain and reliable, it is absolutely neither of those things, and it is going to be hard to change that. Far too much faith was placed in automated diagnostics and prognostics, and by the time they admitted that Alis was a failure it was very late.

The reliance on touchscreen has been criticised by some, as losing the eyes-off feel of buttons and switches, what is your opinion?

I don’t have a strong view there. I think it’s something you have to be careful with, because you don’t know what works and what doesn’t until you fly it. I love the incredibly French detail with Rafale touchscreens, which is to give the pilots gloves with seamless fingertips and a chamois back to wipe any hand-prints off the screen. Oh, and I hate touchscreens in cars.

To what extent, if any, has the absence of exportable F-35s and air-to-ground optimised F-35s led to the profusion of non-US fighters currently in development?

Limited. The main factors, I believe, are the strings attached to the F-35, the lack of confidence in the U.S. as an ally, which given the polls is entirely justified, and arrogance. The Japanese MoD insisted on “right of modification” in the FX RFI and the U.S. side ignored it entirely because they absolutely could not conceive of the Japanese ditching them for the Brits.

You have been studying this project for a while, how has your judgement of it changed over time?

Initially, it looked amazing. But around 2008, it was clear that the schedules being published were unattainable, the claims became more fantastical, and the assaults on critics became ruthless. After that, the propaganda became repellent and was clearly hiding failure.

Is the aircraft itself bad or just the programme management?

There are three main things wrong with the aircraft: the features forced in by STOVL, which degrade performance; the centralized and non-partitioned avionics, which make changes and upgrades difficult; and inadequate cooling. There are also what I call “pet rocks” – technologies that made their way in without adequate assessment, like the no-HUD cockpit, electrohydraulic actuation, and the steampunk secondary power system.

Is the F-35 the most survivable modern fighter?

Hard to say without knowing how effective other fighters’ EW systems are. It’s also valid mission engineering to say of some threats, “well that’s why we have Storm Shadow or Taurus.”

Does price gouging happen with the F-35 suppliers? Additionally, are F-35B peculiar components fairly priced?

Most supply-chain issues involve primes leaning on suppliers’ throats and threatening to recompete. Then the suppliers can’t pay competitive salaries and their best performers go to the primes, while quality gets pared to 0.0001 higher than acceptable. The TR3 problem is rooted in a recompete. Pro-tip: if your original supplier walks away laughing it’s a sign that they think their replacement doesn’t understand the job. They’re most likely right.

What needs to happen?

Very hard to say. I’ve been warning since 2009-10 that the project was in bad shape. At one point I recommended putting the B and C on ice and focusing on fixing the F-35A. But between the programme’s difficulties and the changes in warfare – long-range combat aircraft launching unmanned things might be more important. We also need changes in the way we do acquisition and stop thinking of it as a competitive market, because it ain’t that anymore.

Some say the lower availability rates of the F-35 are offset by its superior potency, thoughts on this?

If the airplane was really as good, 1-v-1, as the fans say it is, the USAF would have stayed with the adaptive engine vs. revised F135.

Biggest myth?

That it’s cheaper than anything else. Typhoon beat it on procurement cost in Korea. In fact both Typhoon and Rafale are pretty close in real numbers. (Export sales to non-democracies often have bigged-up numbers because it benefits both sides.) And the operational costs are high, partly due to security.

What should I have asked you?

Why has it won all round on exports?

I go into that in the new book, but the most basic point is that if you think it doesn’t matter where a nation shops for its largest military procurement, you’re being (to put it kindly) a little naïve at the best of times, and these are not the best of times.

You quoted someone in your first F-35 book about the JSF being the greatest threat to the EU, what did that mean and what do you think of that from a modern perspective?

That was a Frenchman in 2003-04 when everyone expected the F-35 to work as advertised. I don’t think there is any doubt that the programme’s objective was to knock the Europeans out of the business and establish a monopoly – which ultimately would have made Europe entirely dependent on American defense technology in ways that would take decades to reverse.

The next generation of fighters seem to all have greater range, is low range a weakness of 5th gen?

Cold War fighter ranges were measured against Central Europe. The “objective” range for the F-35A and F-35C in the Key Performance Parameters was influenced by Desert Storm, but the customers only got the threshold number. More range is good and worth trading max speed and max g for.

House Panel Adds More New Test F-35s to NDAA

May 23, 2024 | By John A. Tirpak
The number of new F-35s dedicated to developmental testing would rise under the version of the 2025 National Defense Authorization Act passed by the House Armed Services Committee on May 22, yet another by lawmakers to put the spurs to the lagging program.

In the 2024 version of the bill, Congress adopted a provision to fund six F-35s to refresh the aging test fleet. For the 2025 bill, Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.) offered an amendment to raise that number to nine, and his proposal was approved by the HASC in a quick voice vote.

Lt. Gen. Michael Schmidt, F-35 program executive officer, told Air & Space Forces Magazine last fall that the program’s test fleet is tired, suffers from decreasing availability, and needs to be augmented with nine new airplanes configured with test gear. The combined test force has been supplemented with operationally-configured airplanes for some time, but they are not the optimal solution, Schmidt said.

A heavy campaign of F-35 testing is already underway and the load will increase as the Pentagon tries to complete testing of the Tech Refresh 3 hardware and software package. Once that’s complete, more than 80 improvements comprising the F-35 Block 4 upgrade will require test and evaluation, not including power and thermal testing pertaining to its F135 engine.

Schmidt has told Congress in budget testimony that Block 4 is being “reimagined,” and some elements of it planned to be fielded this decade will slip to the 2030s.

Under Wittman’s amendment, all the new test aircraft would be funded in Lot 18, which, along with Lot 19, has been under negotiation almost two years. In last year’s bill, the six airplanes would have come out of Lot 19. While the 2024 NDAA specified two of each variant as test jets, the new law would give the Pentagon flexibility to decide the mix.

The Joint Program Office has long contended that it has inadequate resources to support a high tempo of F-35 testing. Exasperated with the delays—which have resulted in more than 70 F-35s completed but not delivered because the Tech Refresh 3 upgrade built into them hasn’t finished testing—the HASC slashed F-35 purchases by up to 20 jets for fiscal 2025 and is redirecting the money to set up and staff a software laboratory and a flying system integration laboratory, among other test capacity enhancements.

“We are compelled to address the ongoing Joint Strike Fighter production challenge,” Wittman said in a statement attending the markup, noting comments by former head of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command Adm. Philip S. Davidson that China would be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. “With over 100 JSF aircraft projected to stack up on the ramp waiting the needed TR-3/Block 4 upgrades and further challenges with getting the right capabilities in time to address the Davidson window, it is essential that we right-size our nation’s largest defense acquisition program.”
Wittman said the new provision puts the U.S. “in a good position that allows us to address the more egregious concerns identified” by the Pentagon’s Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, “a software independent review team, and the Government Accountability Office.” The adjustments to the F-35 program “will put the JSF program on the right path. We are not interested in placing blame for the program’s challenges; we are committed to delivering solutions.”

The GAO, in an F-35 report published last week, said it may take a year to go through the normal process of accepting and delivering the completed but parked jets. The JPO has said it has gotten approval from the F-35 user community to start accepting jets with less than the TR-3 hardware and software upgrade—a so-called “truncated” version of the upgrade—as soon as the software shows adequate stability in test. The JPO has not been able, however, to offer the metrics of what would constitute “stable” or when that status is expected to be achieved.
Lockheed Martin CEO Jim Taiclet said in the company’s last earnings call April 23 that the not-quite TR-3 upgrade, which he called a “combat training-capable” version, will likely be ready to go in the third quarter. He said it will allow F-35 users to start training with the TR-3 capabilities before they’re actually resident on the airplane.

The GAO—which issued its report before the FY 2025 markup—warned that the six new test F-35s already in flow won’t be delivered and configured for use until 2029.

An LM development F-35B crashed at Albuquerque :

Although the F-35 is flown by the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps, the F-35B was a developmental test aircraft owned by Lockheed Martin, a defense official said.” An F-35B en route from Fort Worth, Texas, to Edwards Air Force Base, California, crashed after a refueling stop at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico (900 km),” Lockheed Martin said in a statement. “The pilot ejected safely. Safety is our priority and we will follow the appropriate investigation protocol.”

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Nice pic.

1717232238338.png

Podcast: The F-35 Has A Case Of Long COVID

Transcript

Robert Wall:

Welcome everyone to Aviation Week's Check 6 podcast. Today we look at where things stand with the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that, by the latest Government Accountability Office numbers, has ballooned into a $2 trillion U.S. program over its projected service life.

The F-35 is, depending on whom you talk to, a massive failure or a huge success. But no matter where you fall on that spectrum, one thing is clear. It has been a hot seller overseas even while it's still very much a work in progress.

Here to help unpack all this for you are Steve Trimble, Aviation Week's defense editor, and Tony Osborne, our London bureau chief. I'm Robert Wall, Aviation Week's executive editor for defense and space.

Steve, let me start with you. The GAO recently released another F-35 report with new details on some of the problems developing the latest updates, the TR-3, and other issues. Strikingly to me, the GAO said Lockheed Martin delivered 91% of aircraft late last year, and Pratt & Whitney, the engine contractor, did not deliver any engines on time over that period. But Steve, I'm curious, what was your main takeaway from the GAO report?

Steve Trimble:

Well, so the GAO has been critical throughout the life of the F-35 program about how it's being managed by the Program Office, but this one was particularly critical, and there's some really interesting new details about some of the things that they're up against right now.

To break this down, it's important to understand there are two specific upgrade paths that are being discussed here. One is the Technology Refresh 3, which adds a new integrated core processor, it's basically a modern supercomputer that they're putting in the aircraft. And then there's the Block 4 modernization. And you can't get Block 4 modernization without Technology Refresh or TR-3, TR-3.

And with Block 4, you're going to get a new radar, for just the U.S. customers, actually the APG-85, which is going to replace the APG-81. The international customers will stay with the APG-81. You're also getting a much more powerful EW system, so instead of just eight receivers, you're getting 20 receivers. I mean, it's going to be this antenna farm on the aircraft, essentially. And a lot of different new munitions, both U.S. and foreign.

So all that's coming, but it's late, right? So the TR-3 was supposed to be delivered, the new hardware with the first version of the Block 4 software, in July of last year. And that didn't happen. It's still being certified in test. And since July, the Joint Program Office has refused to accept delivery of any new F-35 aircraft coming off the line without that certification. So Lockheed has continued building F-35s at the same rate, so there's dozens if not over a hundred F-35s have been built that have gone straight into storage since that July timeframe.

And so now we're getting this GAO report that says, well, kind of good news in a way is that they're actually going to start delivering TR-3 equipped F-35s supposedly in June. Essentially, this month. So that's kind of good except for the fact that these aircraft with this TR-3 equipment will be using limited software. So probably only training coded software, not combat coded software. No new capabilities that were supposed to be introduced with that first version of Block 4 will be included. And that software won't be finally certified now, according to this GAO report, until at least 2025. So now we're talking at least a two-year delay for that TR-3 capability with the initial version of Block 4.

So that's a problem. But then it also talks about how there's going to be some knock-on costs. There's some issues with the APG-85 AESA development. That's a very classified program so we don't know a whole lot about it. We actually don't understand how it got included in Block 4. It was only acknowledged a couple years ago.

And it also warns that there's right now a review underway within the program, this GAO report is talking about this for the first time, saying that the Program Office is considering deferring some of the big Block 4 upgrades that depend on the separate track of thermal management and engine thrust and power upgrades that are also being funded on a separate track, those aren't going to be delivered until 2030 or 2032, in that timeframe. So that review is talking about not deferring those Block 4 capabilities that depend on those infrastructure upgrades in the jet until those are ready.

Robert Wall:

Really what it sounds like, you don't have one takeaway. It seems like a whole cascading sequence of events that are unfolding here. Engine issues, software issues that are causing the Block 4, which is really what the user's really interested in, to be a couple years late.

Steve Trimble:

And we knew that there were some issues, some underlying issues, but this report seems to indicate that there are some metastasizing problems that are cascading through the development of Block 4 and potentially deferring significant capabilities for several years. Now, you still get TR-2, the aircraft equipped with TR-2 avionics, and that version of the computer is flying today. There's over 990 delivered. It's been in combat. They've been flying it a lot. So you still have what you've got with the F-35, but these Block 4 upgrades, which were considered essential for how the U.S. views its role in this great power competition struggle with China, those won't be coming potentially for several years now.

Robert Wall:

Great, thanks. And thanks for alluding to being operated right now, because the Israelis of course are flying the jet and they seem to be happy with it, with at least some of what we're hearing.

But let me kick it over to Tony. Talk a bit more generally about the F-35 and really what's happening overseas, both in terms of what the delays may mean for the customers, and then also more generally how it's doing.

Tony Osborne:

Yeah, thanks Robert. Just to point out that Israel is flying the aircraft over Gaza, but in an environment where they're not really contested, so they're not really using the full capabilities of the airplane. There's obviously been a lot of concern here in Europe. There are several nations that depend on deliveries of F-35 to replace the F-16 that's long been serving for the past 40 years. And there are air forces here that will be completely dependent on the F-35. So as they take delivery of TR-2 aircraft or F-3 standard or whatever it is that we're calling it at the moment, these aircraft are essentially free-fall bombers, they're not capable of really doing the denied environment if the flag goes up tomorrow.

And there is a war here in Europe. We are constantly facing the threat of a Russian... You know, the Russian specter. If you go to the Baltic states and the Scandinavian area, those real fear of what could come next. And hence these aircraft are essential to the modernization of European air forces, and frankly, they're not arriving on time. So countries like Denmark are concerned that they're not getting a single standard of aircraft across their fleet. They're taking early deliveries of the current standard, but were really hoping to have TR-3 in place so that they could have a standardized fleet. Same for Belgium. They are sort of holding off deliveries. The aircraft that they are taking place will probably be used for

training in the States. Which will of course help, but of course it all depends on when Lockheed Martin can get the TR-3 system into service.

So there's some real challenges from the European air forces. They are not like the massive U.S. Air Force, which can rely on numerous types. They will be entirely dependent on the F-35. Norway has already made that transition, for example. The Netherlands will make that transition this August when the last F-16s have withdrawn.

Robert Wall:

Tony, before we started, you were kind of making an interesting point that it's not just a future problem, there are some real-world today implications. Talk about that a bit.

Tony Osborne:

Exactly. So if the flag goes up here in Europe tomorrow, these aircraft are essentially bombers that will be going up against very advanced surface-to-air missile systems. We were supposed to be getting standoff weapons for these aircraft, but they're all part of the TR-3 upgrade. So weapons like AARGM-ER, as I understand it, are part of the TR-3 upgrade. And several European nations are going down that route, buying AARGM-ER for the suppression and destruction of enemy air defenses role. Of course, if TR-3 is not available, that weapon is not available to them either.

And of course, this is also a problem for nations that want their own sovereign weapons to be included on the aircraft. So the UK is particularly frustrated. We were supposed to be getting the MBDA Spear 3 and Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile on the aircraft around now, going by the milestones that were set when the contracts were signed in the mid-2010s. The British government is now saying they're not expecting those capabilities well out until just before 2030 at the earliest.

And that's quite a troubling thing. You've got Meteor, which is going to be a weapon that goes further than AMRAAM, and a weapon that's being widely demanded by nations as Russia makes use of long-range air-to-air missiles from Su-25 and MiG-31. They want a weapon that can outrange that. Meteor can do that. It's not available on the fifth generation fighter of choice across Europe. So that's a deeply frustrating omission. And the RAF air chief himself has sort of said he really wants Spear 3 right now because it's a small weapon, gives the aircraft a lot of combat persistence because it can carry eight of them in the low observability mode of the aircraft. And that is not currently available and may not be for another sort of three, four, five years because of these delays. So it is deeply troubling.

And of course the other problem is that this has a kickback. If nations aren't getting the F-35s, it means that they can't replace their older aircraft, which means those air forces are less relevant. In the case of those nations that are handing F-16s to Ukraine, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, if those countries have to wait longer for F-35, Ukraine may have to wait longer for its F-16s, further delaying the conflict.

Robert Wall:

Steve, how is this all going down in the U.S.? How is Congress reacting to all this?

Steve Trimble:

Sure. And actually just to make one further point to what Tony was saying, the kinetic weapon delays are a concern broadly, even in the U.S. but also overseas, but there are some non-kinetic capabilities on the aircraft today. When I talk to the U.S. Air Force and some of the pilots, I think they're very confident that they can rely on those non-kinetic options that are on the jet today to deal with the suppression of enemy of air defense mission. That seems to be the sort of prevailing mood. They can't go into any

details and I don't know them, but that is something to at least think about in the near term. So I mean they're not denuded of SEAD capability, or suppression of enemy air defense capability, in the interim possibly.

But the way Congress is looking, I mean, Congress has been broadly supportive of the F-35 over the years. When DoD has not adequately funded procurement, Congress has always come in and added F-35s. Actually, in the last couple of years, they stopped doing that. But now they're really trying to put the JPO's feet to the fire as well as Lockheed's feet to the fire to get some of these programs fixed, and fast.

I should caveat this because House Armed Services Committee passed their version of the National Defense Authorization Act, and I won't go through the entire U.S. budgetary process, but that's just one step. It still has to be passed by the full House, and Senate has their version, which may or may not include this language. There's also the appropriations track. So this is just an indication at this point of how the Armed Services Committee in the House is feeling about this. It may or may not lead to a final bill, even if that ever gets passed at the end of the year.

With that in mind, just as a sense of Congress, they're saying, "Okay, if you don't get some of these things fixed, we are going to limit delivery of F-35s, starting in 2025, to a total of 48 aircraft across all three U.S. services." Now, that doesn't affect international orders or deliveries, obviously, but for the U.S. side, just 48 total. Now, 48 is the U.S. Air Force sort of annual commitment to the program. They wanted to buy a whole lot more than that, but in recent years, the maximum has been 48.

So this would significantly limit deliveries of the F-35 in the interim unless they do certain things, one of which is buy a new cooperative avionics test bed, a CATBird. Now, this has been something I've been asking about with the program for several months. They used to have what they called a CATBird during the system development and demonstration phase. Once that was completed in 2018, they parked that aircraft, and they didn't replace it as they moved into Block 4.

And that became kind of relevant when we heard General Schmidt, the director of the JPO, say in a congressional hearing in December that he's got a problem right now with trying to test and certify the Block 4 software on the TR-3 hardware. And what he's saying is... Lockheed has that software. They put it into their ground-based system integration lab. It comes out. And it may have some glitches in it or it may be fine, but they know what they are, they know what those issues are. And then they put it in the jet and the jet goes flying and the software behaves completely differently in that flying real-world environment where it's interacting with the actual hardware in flight in that high vibration, high thermal environment type of experience.

That points to the reason why they had the CATBird in the first place, which was to simulate exactly the hardware and the software together on a flying aircraft that wasn't an F-35. They sort of host... They take another aircraft and they host all these systems, including the control surfaces on the aircraft, to simulate that environment and to get as much realism as possible in the testing before they send it to the F-35 test fleet.

So they don't have that, and they're saying... So this bill, if it's passed, would authorize the JPO to acquire a test bed, a CATBird, but even if they were to do that, this bill wouldn't get passed until the end of 2024. The appropriations committees also would have to pass something similar to give them the actual money to spend on this. And then it would take a couple of years to actually acquire the aircraft, modify the aircraft, get it certified, and start testing it. So this is not going to fix any problems in the short term while they're trying to get through this sort of crisis in the TR-3 delivery delays.

So yeah, there's a lot of remediations built into this report, but there's no short-term fixes. These are all for long-term, addressing these issues in the long-term.

Robert Wall:

Right. Tony, it's interesting, isn't it? Because we've been talking a lot on some of the European programs how much of focus there is now on having flying test beds for their next generation, and it seems like a real lesson.

Tony Osborne:

That's a very good point, Robert. The UK, Japan, Italian GCAP program will use a Boeing 757 to test those avionics. In an upcoming article ahead of Farnborough, I think we'll reveal that there's going to be the use of the French Fokker 100 test bed to test the FCAS avionics for the Franco-German-Spanish program. And actually Turkey is planning to use a Global Express business jet for testing of the Kaan.

Just going back on the F-35 issues, it still amazes me that even with all these issues, this airplane is still going to be the preeminent fighter of Europe and it is still selling in Europe. Romania is on the cusp of buying the airplane. Greece will shortly buy it. And of course, numerous other countries already have those procurements set in motion. The likes of Switzerland, Germany, Poland will receive its first aircraft in August, and Czech Republic too, although it'll be waiting quite a while. And of course we'll have to keep its Saab Gripens going for a bit longer. And of course, some of those delays could start gathering and countries may have to wait longer, of course.

Robert Wall:

Yeah, there's so much to unpack on this program. But I don't want to leave it entirely before we briefly talk about a former colleague of ours, Bill Sweetman, who wrote a new pamphlet on the F-35. And interesting, obviously he's changed his tune a bit or his mind a bit on the program. Originally it was... Or 20 years ago he wrote about the Ultimate Fighter, and now he's kind of soured on that a bit. Steve, you just got done reading, what, the Trillion Dollar Trainwreck, I think it is. Any takeaways from your end?

Steve Trimble:

Well, I mean, yes. The context is... I mean, a year ago, Tom Burbage, the former program manager for Lockheed, he left in 2013, but he co-authored a book about the F-35 that covered the development issues, but still there was a firm conclusion that everything was worth it and that the program was a strategic success for the U.S. as well as for Lockheed. But Bill Sweetman has now come out with his sort of rebuttal to that. It's not quite a book. It's 75 pages. I don't know if you'd call that a book. It's sort of formatted more like a think tank report. That's how I read it. But he takes the opposite conclusion, that it's been a strategic failure. He argues that it's hollowed out the U.S. Air Force tactical combat capability by not delivering in the quantities and in the quality that was expected when the program, and certainly at the cost and schedule that wasn't envisioned originally.

And he brings up some interesting points also about just sort of the historic requirements and how they got set, just how the length and wingspan of the aircraft were set by these sort of artificial constraints that no longer exist. A great example he points out was the HMS Invincible had a 56 foot long mid-deck hangar elevator to bring the aircraft up. So that constrained the length of the aircraft to no more than 56 feet. And of course, all the F-35s are in that sort of 51, 52 feet length regime. Well, the Invincible was retired 13, 14 years ago, I think. the HMS Queen Elizabeth second is now out and it's got this 85 foot or something long mid-deck hangar elevator, but of course the F-35 length is still constrained at 51 feet. It's an issue of fineness ratio, as Bill Sweetman points out. So it's things like that that I think really illuminate some sort of fundamental decisions and architectural decisions that were made that complicated things down the road.

That said, when I finished it, I was still hoping for a lot more, and I hope that there's... You know, we've had Tom Burbage's book. He co-authored that with a few other people. And now Bill Sweetman's sort of rebuttal to that. But I think we need something more. I would love to see a truly academic treatise on what this program is, what it means, how it got here, and how hopefully we can avoid some of these issues that keep popping up with the F-35 no matter how long the program exists. I mean, it got into deep trouble in its first decade, culminating in 2010 where it looked like the program is on the chopping block even. Ash Carter wrote in his memoir about potentially walking out or actually walking out of a meeting with the CEO of Lockheed out of just frustration. Maybe even thinking about canceling the program.

But then they bring in Vice Admiral Venlet from the Navy. He kind of stabilizes it. Bogdan comes in, Lieutenant General Bogdan from the Air Force came into the JPO after that. And really that's where we started seeing it kind of really stabilize and kind of moving in the other direction, sort of a positive direction. They pulled off this really impressive production ramp-up, up until 2019. And things seemed to be going in the right direction. But then they moved into the Block 4 modernization program. And obviously COVID hit the supply chain, so we've seen production take a beating since then. And new cost increases, new development problems, new capability shortfalls, all hit the Block 4 program. So we're sort of in this downward trajectory for the program, except in the area of sales. And it's not clear when we're going to get out of this.

Robert Wall:

Right. So the F-35 is suffering from a case of long COVID.

Well, let's leave it there. We could talk about this program forever. Thanks, Steve. Thanks, Tony. Thanks so much. Let's wrap this episode of Check 6. A special thanks to our podcast editor in London, Guy Ferneyhough. And a big thank you, of course, to our audience for your time. And don't miss the next episode of Check 6. So follow us on Apple, Spotify, or wherever else you get your podcast, and we hope you'll tune in again next week for another episode of Check 6.

• Agree
Reactions: Herciv