• F-18 SH

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • F-15EX

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Mig-35

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Are u?
I am not saying if it's going to win or lose. I am just saying if F16 is gonna participate, why not Mk2? At the very least we will get performance comparison.
U want to keep an aircraft which going to first light on 2027,and gonna mature post 2030 (logical estimation) to take part tin mmrca tendering processes? And you know, mmrca originall requirement placed after 1999 kargil war.

Reactions: Ginvincible
MRFA is about "not putting all your eggs in one basket". MK2 will not win MRFA just like why Gripen-E will not win it either because of their American engines.

It's Rafale or bust. No plan B. Period.

PS: Only deviation could be F-35( Block-4) or Su-57M. But both are very unlikely for different reasons. So, Rafale it's going to be and also Rafale it should/must be.

Previous plan, SE MMRCA is entirely converted to Mk2.

TE MRFA is Rafale , unless specified otherwise.

Only thing that ll change is numbers based on budget availability.

I doubt MRFA will be awarded, if not another 36 Rafale.

Expecting Su 30 mki upgrade to be awarded before MRFA.

Mk2 can eat into TE MRFA Rafale numbers only if there is budget constraints.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Very soon. After Modi ji wins the elections.
People said this in 2019 about lots of projects that still havent materialized. What's different now?

I am not saying if it's going to win or lose. I am just saying if F16 is gonna participate, why not Mk2? At the very least we will get performance comparison.
Mk2 probably won't fly til the end of the decade and will take many more years of trials before it's accepted. At this point MMRCA 2.0 should be considered emergency induction to sustain fleet levels and retire the rust bucket death traps the IAF is forced to keep flying.

Mk2 probably won't fly til the end of the decade and will take many more years of trials before it's accepted. At this point MMRCA 2.0 should be considered emergency induction to sustain fleet levels and retire the rust bucket death traps the IAF is forced to keep flying.
Sadly the IAF top brass is more interested in renaming itself as a space force than to achieve anything meaningful.

IAF hasn't finalized the RFP yet.

Timeline: Tejas Mark 2 development

Preliminary Design Review : December 2023

First Mark 2 prototype build : June 2026

Flight testing (two years) : June 2028

Delivery begins of production aircraft : June 2029

Building of Tejas Mark 2 fleet (5 years) : 2035-36

--------------

Will MRFA beat this timeline?

I am just comparing timeline, not the requirements of TE MRFA.

If we take Indian time into account, this schedule becomes:
  • Preliminary Design Review : December 2023
  • First Mark 2 prototype build : June 2047
  • Flight testing (two years) : June 2063
  • Delivery begins of production aircraft : June 2071
  • Building of Tejas Mark 2 fleet (5 years) : 2095-2103

Reactions: jk007
Timeline: Tejas Mark 2 development

Preliminary Design Review : December 2023

First Mark 2 prototype build : June 2026

Flight testing (two years) : June 2028

Delivery begins of production aircraft : June 2029

Building of Tejas Mark 2 fleet (5 years) : 2035-36

--------------

Will MRFA beat this timeline?

I am just comparing timeline, not the requirements of TE MRFA.
Even Northrop Grmen & Boeing will not be able to do what HAL & AzDA is going to do. That is delivery after three years of first flight. Tell me who is the chief design engineer for MK2? Shiv Bhagavan?

Timeline for signing deal to import / manufacturer Rafale will also in Indian time scale. Not anytime soon.

Few days back Ex Air chief said Rafale deterred Chinese aggression.
Some news also mentioned Chinese deployed 5 times J20 to counter for every rafale.

I don't see Lca Mk2 as any threat to Rafale purchase. Probably only to the numbers imo.

Let's see If any engine deal goes through before that.

Last edited:
Indian procurement can only work when there's a situation of emergency; otherwise things just get bogged down by lobbying, bureaucracy, and political jockeying.

Reactions: Sathya
Previous plan, SE MMRCA is entirely converted to Mk2.

TE MRFA is Rafale , unless specified otherwise.

Only thing that ll change is numbers based on budget availability.

I doubt MRFA will be awarded, if not another 36 Rafale.

Expecting Su 30 mki upgrade to be awarded before MRFA.

Mk2 can eat into TE MRFA Rafale numbers only if there is budget constra
Now that BJP has less than 272 seats, there's a real risk of budgetary constraint as they can't be seen as throwing money on defence imports while the popular narrative is that of unemployment and price rise.

Now that BJP has less than 272 seats, there's a real risk of budgetary constraint as they can't be seen as throwing money on defence imports while the popular narrative is that of unemployment and price rise.

BJP had thumping majority for the last 10 years and did not go for it, so you cannot blame anyone else. India is a poor country where any political party can win by offering few freebies, few defence enthusiasts like us do not count.

Reactions: Ankit Kumar

Even before election I believed only Rafale M deal will go through Modi 3rd term.

They haven't spent big on anything.

Max amount spent on a deal is on 36 Rafale F3R .

Reactions: marich01
Wrong, they spent money for private jets, that too two When IAF was ( still is) terribly low with awacs imventory. The plan for follow on phalcon AWACS cancelled due to price. Irony is there was no much difference on price for both purchase.
@@randomradio @Rajput Lion isaid this few weeks back.

BJP had thumping majority for the last 10 years and did not go for it, so you cannot blame anyone else. India is a poor country where any political party can win by offering few freebies, few defence enthusiasts like us do not count.
Infact they spend more than 13 years on mmrca,while UPA managed to announce the winner with in 10 years.

Even if they find MRFA too expensive, IAF still needs more Rafale. So, a repeat order of another 2-squadrons at a bare minimum is a given.

Anyways, I am still hoping that all pending defence items should go through now without any issue. Our indigenisation drive shall get stronger too.

Accha, anyone thinks that the MQ9 deal , quite substantial in value, actually further delayed a repeat order of 36 rafales ?
For my part I do not expect MRFA in its current form to progress unless su30 like deal happens, ie the jets are made locally, huge indigenisation , local subsystems MRO everything with HAL. Anything perk wise that the Rus offers basically in multiple license productions. That is not going to be available with the EU countries even with the french until & unless a) the said jet is near the end of its service lifetime with the OEM country and b) you buy off the IP at huge cost, less likely given dassault current position.

Even before election I believed only Rafale M deal will go through Modi 3rd term.

Max amount spent on a deal is on 36 Rafale F3R .
Navy needs to sign 2 billion USD for 15 UAVs first. Followed by IAC 1 follow on and hopefully P75 follow on. That's another 5 billion.

I don't see us signing Rafale M untill 2027 atleast.