Pakistan AirForce : Updates & Discussions

You should ask the Pakistanis, they have started removing the radars from all their aircraft and grounded them.

They will receive 3 new Erieye-ER by the end of the year
I am merely refuting what I see as errors, and I have not seen any reports of Pakistan removing radars, perhaps India has. After all, the news about Pakistan and China is full of nonsense in India.

Bhai, LCA, Rafale, MKI and AMCA are enough. What you've listed is for a museum. It would be great if the MKIs are cut out as AMCAs come in. And by 2080, we will need all our jets subsumed into a single jet and a family of drones. So we wanna reduce the number of types, not increase them.

Any stopgap measure outside of these 4 jets taken up this decade is only going to be a desperate, no-choice move on our part, like we did with the 36 Rafales. Hopefully we are not in that position.
Nah we need the flankers. Infact I feel we should be increasing the production of flankers and make up 350-360 flankers in differing configs. We need to counter Chinese j-16D's and we need the supersuks. And we need to integrate the r-37m/rvv-bd on a warfooting. Russo-Ukrainian war has shown how effective and flexible the flankers are with brahmos A integration we already have effect. Imagine if we start inducting kh-101's and scalp's on the flankers.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Any stopgap measure outside of these 4 jets taken up this decade is only going to be a desperate, no-choice move on our part, like we did with the 36 Rafales.
We are in a desperate situation. We might be facing more than a few players across Asia in a few years.

I am merely refuting what I see as errors, and I have not seen any reports of Pakistan removing radars, perhaps India has. After all, the news about Pakistan and China is full of nonsense in India.

The news has come from Pakistani sources.

Nah we need the flankers. Infact I feel we should be increasing the production of flankers and make up 350-360 flankers in differing configs. We need to counter Chinese j-16D's and we need the supersuks. And we need to integrate the r-37m/rvv-bd on a warfooting. Russo-Ukrainian war has shown how effective and flexible the flankers are with brahmos A integration we already have effect. Imagine if we start inducting kh-101's and scalp's on the flankers.

Depends on money and the capability of the industry. The first part won't be a problem.

Anyway, I'm talking about 20-25 years from now.

We are in a desperate situation. We might be facing more than a few players across Asia in a few years.

Our procurement plan will deliver only in the 2030s anyway. The only question is if the IAF thinks Rafale F5 and AMCA are enough. Only if they are not will we have to resort to a stopgap. The alternative is the best we can do is order 36 more Rafale F4s along with the IN's 26. It will only help save 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: Lolwa
IAF doesn't fear J-31 or its naval brother J-35. J-20 and J-16s are far bigger threat to us.
If you keep a mentally ill person or dimwit infront a speeding train, he will laugh at the train. That doesn't means that a stuck by speeding train won't be a fatal one.
IAF is like the above peson, they dont fear anything in air, thinking that j20,j31,j16,f16 name anything they don't operating is not a threat to them.

Dont take a forc's opinion seriously who operating mig21,jaguar, mig29 for active duty.

With F-16s and Mirages, it was better before. Now it's just a downgrade. And it's their first attempt at operating a TE jet.
The Mirage 3/5 frames are from the 60s and 70s. Even if they had upgrades their useful life is running short.

F-16s will never get US approval for new upgrades. Their usefulness versus India is running out. They're also too expensive to operate merely to bomb insurgents, JF-17/drones can fulfill that role cheaper.

A lot of Pakistani fan boys are probably doing backflips at finally getting a TE jet. A carrier capable one too haha

Brahmus is a missile designed for both sea and land use. How did the Russo Ukrainian War prove that integrating it into the Soviet Union 30 was rational?

Brahmus is a missile designed for both sea and land use. How did the Russo Ukrainian War prove that integrating it into the Soviet Union 30 was rational?
Standoff missiles are the future of warfare so is rocket artillery and standard artillery with gps guidance. Although I know it's a post-cold war phenomenon. Drone surveillance for arty support will be the meta for the next few decades. The Russians haven't used brahmos or the p800 on their flankers. They are using kh-101's and Zircons(initial phase of the war) and standard dumb bombing. I'm just saying standoff weapons are what's going to be the future. Even the Pakistanis use South African stand off munitions against us.

The Mirage 3/5 frames are from the 60s and 70s. Even if they had upgrades their useful life is running short.

F-16s will never get US approval for new upgrades. Their usefulness versus India is running out. They're also too expensive to operate merely to bomb insurgents, JF-17/drones can fulfill that role cheaper.

A lot of Pakistani fan boys are probably doing backflips at finally getting a TE jet. A carrier capable one too haha

The Mirage and F-16 made things cheaper. The only Chinese jet was the F-7. Pretty soon they will have 5 "Chinese" jets to maintain. From a 3-type air force, they have switched to a 5-type air force, while India is transitioning down to 4 types from 7 types with mostly Western hardware.

So their availability and price controls are suspect compared to Western jets. They have to deal with 5 different engines. Otoh, India will have 4+1 engine types, but will eventually have 100% control over all their parts. I think the PAF is gonna struggle quite a bit in this modernization cycle.

They don't fear it because it's vapourware right now. j-10's will be a far bigger problem for us than the j-16's.
Yes. But also because PLAAF has itself rejected it and decided to go with upgraded Flanker(J-16) as their J-20 complementary jet. Also, its specs are no where near J-20. J-20, when fully evolved, will be a fearful jet as it can fly very fast(supercruise above mach 1.5), very high(60k feet+), look very far(biggest radar of all Chinese jets) and has superior frontal stealth too. Add its superior endurance and weapons carrying capability and you have a real worry.

J-31/J-35 won't measure up to our upgraded MKI. IAF knows it all too well.

The Mirage and F-16 made things cheaper. The only Chinese jet was the F-7. Pretty soon they will have 5 "Chinese" jets to maintain. From a 3-type air force, they have switched to a 5-type air force, while India is transitioning down to 4 types from 7 types with mostly Western hardware.

So their availability and price controls are suspect compared to Western jets. They have to deal with 5 different engines. Otoh, India will have 4+1 engine types, but will eventually have 100% control over all their parts. I think the PAF is gonna struggle quite a bit in this modernization cycle.
Plus the last time they operated twin engines, it was the A5 Fantans. Trying to replicate what Jaguar did for IAF, but actually having very high operating costs and spending most of its time in China for repairs.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Yes. But also because PLAAF has itself rejected it and decided to go with upgraded Flanker(J-16) as their J-20 complementary jet. Also, its specs are no where near J-20. J-20, when fully evolved, will be a fearful jet as it can fly very fast(supercruise above mach 1.5), very high(60k feet+), look very far(biggest radar of all Chinese jets) and has superior frontal stealth too. Add its superior endurance and weapons carrying capability and you have a real worry.

J-31/J-35 won't measure up to our upgraded MKI. IAF knows it all too well.
J-20 and j-16 is a very similar combo to what f-15EX and F-35 will be

Last edited:

The Turks could provide an upgrade to the Pakistanis in the future. They are developing an aesa for their f-16's and bvr missiles too. Plus they could sell the SOM-J's to the Pakistanis

J-20 and j-16 is a very similar combo to what f-15EX and F-35 will be
F-15EX is definitely similar to J-16, but F-35 falls short in-comparison with J-20. With latest WS-15 engines only F-22 and Su-57 can compare with J-20. You can't compare a single engine strike fighter with twin engined supercruising air superiority ones.

Hence, J-20 and J-16 combo is currently world's most lethal air to air combo. Bear in mind that J-16 carries PL-17, which is world's longest range BVRAAM(400kms+ range). That makes it extremely lethal to all enemy high value targets. J-20 will get close using its stealth, while J-16 just falls back and shoots using J-20's radar guidance.

Anyways, J-31 won't have the kinematics of J-20. So no need to take this news seriously, IMO.

JF17 - R93, eventually replaced by WS-13
J-10CE - WS-10B
J-31 - WS19

That's 3 engine types for 3 models. I am assuming the Mirages, F-7s, and most of the F-16s will all be retired by the end of the decade. I really don't see F-16 blk52 in service beyond 2035 at the latest. What else am I missing?

As for price controls and availability, I think China will be a much more reliable supplier compared to their Western partners. The US and France will not allow more upgrades to existing platforms since they want to further ties with India.

No way Pakistan can afford gripens or eurofighter. I really doubt Russia can afford to jeopardize its ties with India by selling fighter jets to Pakistan. Especially at this moment where India is one of two saving graces for them.

I agree that Pakistan will struggle with modernization but that's more that they are broke. But they don't really have any other options. I think the mix they chose is the best they could hope for and I suspect the Chinese subsidize the Pakistanis at least on some level.