People's Liberation Army Air Force : News & Discussions

Don't you read AUTHENTIC news as opposed to propaganda ? Why exactly are you here on this forum then ? Didn't you read the threads on the LCA Mk -1 / Mk-1a & the Mk -2 threads on information about the status of the delivery or lack of adherence to it by GE ?

The F-404 is delayed thanks to the Wuhan virus pandemic which jeopardized supply chains all over the world ? Leave aside GE , Airbus Boeing LM Dassault have still not got their supply chains on 100% .

GE has committed that within a years time they will be in a position to supply 20 + F 404 TFs which is September 2025 onwards.

Stick to posting facts , act in good faith & it will be reciprocated. Indulge in mindless propaganda unnecessary boasting & running down Indian programs & you'd get it good. How old did you say you were once again ?
I have no desire to discuss with you when I see your profile picture, an obvious Indian fanatic
So please continue

Well, the India-Pakistan air war is a mess. India claimed to have shot down an F-16, and Pakistan announced that it had shot down an SU30. There is no direct evidence.
It's a mess if you believe in Pak propaganda. They changed their stance from 2 Mig-21s shot down to 1 Mig and 1 Su-30MKI shot down.

On the contrary our stance has been the same since the beginning that we've lost one Mig-21 while we shot one F-16.

However, the point is that air combat is highly unpredictable and any fighter can shoot the other irrespective of its weight-class or age/generation.
I found that many people are confident that they can shoot down the J20, whether they are Indians or Taiwanese.
Once again, you are reading me wrong. I think J-20 is an awesome fighter built by China and you deserve as much applause for it. I am not saying that our Su-30MKI UPG. or Rafale will defeat or dominate it. But with the help of our formidable IADS they definitely can deter J-20. That's their job while IA destroys PLA in-between. We need Su-57M or its derivatives or AMCA to defeat J-20, which at the moment we don't have.
As far as I remember, the Astra missile has a range of 160 kilometers at an altitude of 15,000 meters, and the PL15 has a range of more than 200 kilometers at 10,000 meters, so there is still a gap. Moreover, the PL15 has been around for almost 10 years. It is estimated that by the time the MK2 appears, China's next-generation missile will also be available, a new generation of missiles that will compete with the AIM260.
Astra MK2's range is classified. It'll match PL-15 in every way once it becomes operational in few years. And you're correct that China also may develop even more advance BVRs till then. But we've Astra MK3 for that. It has got a range of 340 kms at high altitude. So in few years time IAF will draw level with PLAAF.

Astra MK2's range is classified. It'll match PL-15 in every way once it becomes operational in few years. And you're correct that China also may develop even more advance BVRs till then. But we've Astra MK3 for that. It has got a range of 340 kms at high altitude. So in few years time IAF will draw level with PLAAF.
Well, this thing is not confidential. All news in India will report this data, or design indicators. As for the MAK3 missile that uses ramjet power in the future, these are still too far away. Moreover, ramjet power may not necessarily become the mainstream power of future missiles. As far as I know, both the United States and China have given up ramjet power.
But when the data of MK2 is secret, where does the data of MK3 come from?

Once again, you are reading me wrong. I think J-20 is an awesome fighter built by China and you deserve as much applause for it. I am not saying that our Su-30MKI UPG. or Rafale will defeat or dominate it. But with the help of our formidable IADS they definitely can deter J-20. That's their job while IA destroys PLA in-between. We need Su-57M or its derivatives or AMCA to defeat J-20, which at the moment we don't have
I think you must have heard a piece of news. After the J-20 entered service, China once organized a large number of J-10C/J-16s and early warning aircraft, ground anti-stealth radars and J-20 to conduct a simulated air combat. The reality has proved that it is difficult to defeat the fifth-generation fighters relying on 4.5-generation aircraft and early warning aircraft, and the cooperation of ground radars, proving that many of China’s previous tactics were actually ineffective.
This also directly led to the cancellation of the J-11D, but it has completed most of the test flight subjects

It's a mess if you believe in Pak propaganda. They changed their stance from 2 Mig-21s shot down to 1 Mig and 1 Su-30MKI shot down.

On the contrary our stance has been the same since the beginning that we've lost one Mig-21 while we shot one F-16.

However, the point is that air combat is highly unpredictable and any fighter can shoot the other irrespective of its weight-class or age/generation
To be honest, I don't want to discuss this. Such topics usually have no results and will only turn into nationalistic attacks on each other.

Well, this thing is not confidential. All news in India will report this data, or design indicators. As for the MAK3 missile that uses ramjet power in the future, these are still too far away. Moreover, ramjet power may not necessarily become the mainstream power of future missiles. As far as I know, both the United States and China have given up ramjet power.
Nope. MK2's range and kinematics are indeed "top secret". There are only guesses regarding its range, flight time etc.

MK3's range, weight and kinematics on the other hand is fully presented by DRDO itself. Here is its "official" brochure:

Screenshot_20240813-185619_Chrome.jpg

^ Here you can see its range(s) at different altitude(s).
I think you must have heard a piece of news. After the J-20 entered service, China once organized a large number of J-10C/J-16s and early warning aircraft, ground anti-stealth radars and J-20 to conduct a simulated air combat. The reality has proved that it is difficult to defeat the fifth-generation fighters relying on 4.5-generation aircraft and early warning aircraft, and the cooperation of ground radars, proving that many of China’s previous tactics were actually ineffective.
This also directly led to the cancellation of the J-11D, but it has completed most of the test flight subjects
Sometime back someone in Sino Defense Forum wrote about how a 2-ship formation of J-16 lured and killed a J-20. There were also reports about J-20 simulating F-35 and attacking a PLA base from low level. Guess what, PLA IADS shot down all PLAAF's J-20.

If you underestimate Indian IADS, then it would be a folly! I never said that 4.5 jets would defeat 5th gen. But with advance tactics, networking and synchronized action of various land, space and other assets, even 5th gen could be defeated. Nothing is impossible in the realms of air-combat.
To be honest, I don't want to discuss this. Such topics usually have no results and will only turn into nationalistic attacks on each other.
No worries👍

Nope. MK2's range and kinematics are indeed "top secret". There are only guesses regarding its range, flight time etc.

MK3's range, weight and kinematics on the other hand is fully presented by DRDO itself. Here is its "official" brochure
Well, at 8km altitude, it has a range of 190km, which is roughly the same as Meteor and PL15. It meets my expectations.
Sometime back someone in Sino Defense Forum wrote about how a 2-ship formation of J-16 lured and killed a J-20. There were also reports about J-20 simulating F-35 and attacking a PLA base from low level. Guess what, PLA IADS shot down all PLAAF's J-20.
At least on the Chinese Internet, I have not seen such news. The exercise I mentioned can be found in the PLA’s official newspaper, the Liberation Army Daily.

If you underestimate Indian IADS, then it would be a folly! I never said that 4.5 jets would defeat 5th gen. But with advance tactics, networking and synchronized action of various land, space and other assets, even 5th gen could be defeated. Nothing is impossible in the realms of air-combat
I remember when we were discussing how China could defend against the F35, we often mentioned that we should not assume that only we have combat system, because the American system will not be weaker than ours. I think the same is true for India.

Well, at 8km altitude, it has a range of 190km, which is roughly the same as Meteor and PL15. It meets my expectations.
Nope. Astra MK3 has more range than Meteor and PL-15 is actually not even in the same class. Astra MK2 will clearly match it. If you don't believe it then feel free to disagree. I know exactly what I'm talking about.
At least on the Chinese Internet, I have not seen such news. The exercise I mentioned can be found in the PLA’s official newspaper, the Liberation Army Daily.
Sino Defense Forum, on the J-20 thread.
I remember when we were discussing how China could defend against the F35, we often mentioned that we should not assume that only we have combat system, because the American system will not be weaker than ours. I think the same is true for India.
Like always, the everlasting battle between the Shield and the Sword. Till then, just agree to disagree👍

I don't think I underestimated it. The main problem with the Su-35 radar is that the PESA itself has a low signal-to-noise ratio and low anti-interference ability. The N035 radar still uses an electric vacuum device as the transmitter. Compared with solid-state devices, the electric vacuum device is at a disadvantage in terms of waveform agility, reliability, instantaneous bandwidth, and equipment size and weight.

Here, circumstances matter more than specifications. Russian systems are working fine in a presumably dense electronic environment, which in turn means many technologies that India also uses is being combat tested. And this helps explain why the IAF is not in a hurry to replace anything. If something works well in the European theater, we can assume it will work everywhere else.

A 160 km lock-on range means Chinese Flankers can be locked on from equal or greater ranges too.
Moreover, the original blogger got an important piece of information wrong. The green circle does not indicate the maximum range of the missile, but the flight time of the missile.

His incorrect opinion doesn't matter to us.

As far as I remember, the Astra missile has a range of 160 kilometers at an altitude of 15,000 meters, and the PL15 has a range of more than 200 kilometers at 10,000 meters, so there is still a gap. Moreover, the PL15 has been around for almost 10 years. It is estimated that by the time the MK2 appears, China's next-generation missile will also be available, a new generation of missiles that will compete with the AIM260.

PL-15 is too long and too heavy. That comes with design compromises that will make it less effective compared to smaller missiles.

The goal behind this missile is not to kill but to force the enemy to retreat.

I found that many people are confident that they can shoot down the J20, whether they are Indians or Taiwanese.

Due to increased confidence that the F-22 and F-35 are becoming more and more vulnerable as time passes due to the static nature of RCS and dynamic nature of radar and other sensor technologies along with collaborative tactics.

Here, circumstances matter more than specifications. Russian systems are working fine in a presumably dense electronic environment, which in turn means many technologies that India also uses is being combat tested. And this helps explain why the IAF is not in a hurry to replace anything. If something works well in the European theater, we can assume it will work everywhere else.

A 160 km lock-on range means Chinese Flankers can be locked on from equal or greater ranges too
You wouldn't mistake the N035 radar for the N011M radar, right? The difference between the two is very large, and the most intuitive manifestation is the transmitter power. The average power of the N035 is as high as 5KW, while the average power of India's N011M radar is only 1.2KW. How low is this number? The small radar transmission power of the Gripen C/D fighter is also 1.2Kw, which was also reflected in the Russian-Ukrainian war. Russia's main air control is the SU35 and SU30SM using the N035 radar, not the SU30SM

Only goals are stated at the beginning, not the full range. Astra Mk1's goal was 44 km at 8 km altitude (similar to R-77) and Mk2's goal is twice that of Mk1.

Mk1's goal has been significantly exceeded, to as much as 60 km at 8 km. So that translates into 100+ km at high altitude, similar to AIM-120C. We have to see if Mk2's goal of 80+ km at 8 km altitude is met or exceeded. So, right now, media reports are claiming 120-130 km or even 130+ km, which is pretty much double that of Mk1's realized figure. This will exceed AIM-120D, more specifically the dual-pulse FMRAAM (Meteor's American competitor).

The US doesn't use ramjet 'cause it's expensive. It was the same reason they canceled the LRASM-B ramjet missile. It's of less consequence to other countries that have smaller inventories as they compensate for lesser numbers with better technologies.

Other than that, in loadouts, ramjet has to be combined with solid rocket for greater effectiveness. So you fire the ramjets first and then solid rocket, followed by dogfight missiles. So Meteor + MICA.

And the Chinese strategy is simple. In order to beat the US, they seem to have figured that copying American capabilities is the best bet. All they have to do is make very similar systems, but make them 10-20% superior and build them in greater numbers. So if the US doesn't use ramjet, then there's no need for China to operate a similar system either. Ironically, because the US' main missile called LREW is many years away, they had to make a stopgap AIM-260 to catch up with PL-15. So this missile could be 10-20% superior to the PL-15. It's a pretty good strategy compared to France or Russia, who have to develop more advanced capabilities in specific areas in order to stay competitive.

You wouldn't mistake the N035 radar for the N011M radar, right? The difference between the two is very large, and the most intuitive manifestation is the transmitter power. The average power of the N035 is as high as 5KW, while the average power of India's N011M radar is only 1.2KW. How low is this number? The small radar transmission power of the Gripen C/D fighter is also 1.2Kw, which was also reflected in the Russian-Ukrainian war. Russia's main air control is the SU35 and SU30SM using the N035 radar, not the SU30SM

N011M's lower power is compensated with lower noise. Also, for power to make a difference, it needs to be 16 times higher for double the range. N035 is just 4 times more powerful in comparison. In any case, peak power is rarely used, and N011M's cooling is sufficient for 1.2 KW versus 5 KW on N035.

Plus, as I said, the main competition over Tibet is Flankers, J-11 and J-16. The higher RCS makes up for the difference compared to Ukraine's Mig-29. As long as the MKI is able to pick up Flankers from long range, most of the work is done.

Russia is using a Bars derivative called N011M-R on its Su-30SMs. It's pretty much the same radar but uses a more powerful TWT. Upgrade to N035 is still pending.

N011M's lower power is compensated with lower noise. Also, for power to make a difference, it needs to be 16 times higher for double the range. N035 is just 4 times more powerful in comparison. In any case, peak power is rarely used, and N011M's cooling is sufficient for 1.2 KW versus 5 KW on N035.

Plus, as I said, the main competition over Tibet is Flankers, J-11 and J-16. The higher RCS makes up for the difference compared to Ukraine's Mig-29. As long as the MKI is able to pick up Flankers from long range, most of the work is done.

Russia is using a Bars derivative called N011M-R on its Su-30SMs. It's pretty much the same radar but uses a more powerful TWT. Upgrade to N035 is still pending.
Well, I mean the average power of the radar, not the peak power, which is commonly used in war. At the same time, the PESA system of N011M determines that its noise is very high. There is public information, antenna gain 36db, first sidelobe -25db, average sidelobe -48db. In comparison, the APG63 radar with a more backward system has a gain of 37db, and the first sidelobe level is less than -27db, which is better than N011M in all aspects.

for power to make a difference, it needs to be 16 times higher for double the range
According to the radar range formula, when all other conditions remain unchanged, the radar range is proportional to the fourth root of the radar transmission power. It can be calculated that the detection range of N011M for a target of 3 square meters is about 120 kilometers, which is consistent with the 110KM figure given by India's HAL.

Well, many satellite photos of Tibet show that the J-10 appears frequently. Similarly, if it is facing the J-11B, the better PD radar and the worse PESA can still be compared equally, but in front of the J-16/J-11BG, the Su-30 faces an absolute disadvantage.

Only goals are stated at the beginning, not the full range. Astra Mk1's goal was 44 km at 8 km altitude (similar to R-77) and Mk2's goal is twice that of Mk1.

Mk1's goal has been significantly exceeded, to as much as 60 km at 8 km. So that translates into 100+ km at high altitude, similar to AIM-120C. We have to see if Mk2's goal of 80+ km at 8 km altitude is met or exceeded. So, right now, media reports are claiming 120-130 km or even 130+ km, which is pretty much double that of Mk1's realized figure. This will exceed AIM-120D, more specifically the dual-pulse FMRAAM (Meteor's American competitor)
My god, it's so complicated. Currently I can only see the 160KM (MK2)figure quoted by most Indian media.

The US doesn't use ramjet 'cause it's expensive. It was the same reason they canceled the LRASM-B ramjet missile. It's of less consequence to other countries that have smaller inventories as they compensate for lesser numbers with better technologies
At least for now, the AIM260 does not use a ramjet engine, but a traditional rocket engine, and does not even have wings. It uses thrust vectoring and lateral propulsion technology to ensure maneuverability.
However, the United States has already used ramjet technology in air-to-air missiles as early as the 1990s. For example, the AIM-152 AAM program was proposed by Raytheon/Huey.
1723600780435.jpeg

Other than that, in loadouts, ramjet has to be combined with solid rocket for greater effectiveness. So you fire the ramjets first and then solid rocket, followed by dogfight missiles. So Meteor + MICA.

And the Chinese strategy is simple. In order to beat the US, they seem to have figured that copying American capabilities is the best bet. All they have to do is make very similar systems, but make them 10-20% superior and build them in greater numbers. So if the US doesn't use ramjet, then there's no need for China to operate a similar system either. Ironically, because the US' main missile called LREW is many years away, they had to make a stopgap AIM-260 to catch up with PL-15. So this missile could be 10-20% superior to the PL-15. It's a pretty good strategy compared to France or Russia, who have to develop more advanced capabilities in specific areas in order to stay competitive
I think many people have deified the ramjet engine. Its shortcomings are obvious. First, the missile's maneuverability is not as good as that of traditional missiles in order to ensure the air intake efficiency. Second, the resistance is too large in the gliding phase when the fuel is exhausted, and the range is limited. Third, the RCS is large and it is easy to be detected in advance.
For this reason, many countries have given up on ramjet missiles. For example, China had experimental photos of ramjet missiles in 2014, but there was no subsequent news.
Screenshot_2024-08-14-10-08-51-885_com.miui.gallery.png

PL-15 is too long and too heavy. That comes with design compromises that will make it less effective compared to smaller missiles.

The goal behind this missile is not to kill but to force the enemy to retreat.
Where did you come to this conclusion? The PL15 is about 2 meters long, 205mm in diameter, and weighs 210 kg, which is smaller than many missiles, such as the R27 series commonly used by India, and is similar to the Japanese AAM5 missile.

Nope. Astra MK3 has more range than Meteor and PL-15 is actually not even in the same class. Astra MK2 will clearly match it. If you don't believe it then feel free to disagree. I know exactly what I'm talking about
You may think that dual-pulse missiles have a longer range than single-pulse missiles, and ramjet engines are larger than dual-pulse missiles. However, the world is not that simple. Last year, AIM120D3 shot down an F16 target at 205 kilometers in an experiment. Although the experimental conditions are unknown, this range has reached the level of Meteor and PL15.

Where did you come to this conclusion? The PL15 is about 2 meters long, 205mm in diameter, and weighs 210 kg, which is smaller than many missiles, such as the R27 series commonly used by India, and is similar to the Japanese AAM5 missile.
My data is wrong, the length is 3996mm, similar to the Japanese AAM4 missile

Nope. Astra MK3 has more range than Meteor and PL-15 is actually not even in the same class. Astra MK2 will clearly match it. If you don't believe it then feel free to disagree. I know exactly what I'm talking about
Well, according to the display board you gave me, the range is 190 km at 8 km altitude, while the PL15 and Meteor missiles have a range of more than 200 km at 10 km altitude. The three missiles are at least similar in data.