Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

Rafale deal clean, people misinterpreted numbers to say India paid too much: Dassault CEO

The Rafale jet contract is a “very clean deal” conforming to “Indian and French laws” and those raising questions about it have misinterpreted numbers to conclude that India paid too much for the warplanes, Eric Trappier, the CEO of Dassault Aviation SA, which builds the Rafale, said in an interview on Saturday.

“As far as I am concerned… as a witness and as someone in charge of the performance of the contract…I may tell you very clearly, it is a very clean deal. How can I not do a clean deal with all the laws in France and India?” said Trappier, who is accompanying French President Emmanuel Macron on his India visit.

His comments came a day after the Congress alleged that the Narendra Modi government caused a loss of Rs 12,632 crore to the exchequerby inking the September 2016 deal for 36 Rafale planes. Quoting figures from Dassault’s annual report for 2017, the opposition party alleged that India had paid Rs 351 crore more for each jet than other Rafale customers such as Egypt and Qatar.

The figures in the report were given by me one-and-a-half years ago. The numbers include not only the Rafale deal but also covers Mirage-2000 support. I know that because the figures are coming from me,” said Trappier.

He said before the deals were inked, the French government checked that per unit price of the Rafale was the same for all three customers: India, Egypt and Qatar. He said the final cost package would vary depending on the “scope of each deal”.

“Price varies depending on the package, support, weapons, country-specific requirements, number of bases…There are a huge number of parameters in the contract. There can be no comparison. It’s like apples and oranges. The scope of each deal is different,” he said. For instance, post-sales support, he said, was a part of the deal with India but not for deals with some other countries.

In the absence of such details, he seemed to suggest, it made no sense to criticise the deal.
Rafale deal clean, people misinterpreted numbers to say India paid too much: Dassault CEO | india news | Hindustan Times

Seriously ? What else did you expect the CEO to say ? :D

He does not hate the Rafale. He doesn't know anything about the military in fact to hate something so specific.

It's an age old trick. Politicians will make a lot of noise about something when they believe they smell something fishy and hope that some "insider" will step forward and present them proof of a "scam" secretly. If it is indeed a scam, they come out as heroes for exposing it.

Let me repeat, Dr. Swamy is saying it was blackmail.

Rahul gandhi is saying its a scam.

Spot the difference ? or has rafale prem got the better of you ?

As far as i know deal encompasses many committees to cross evaluate whatever special committees are formed to negotiate.

So technically its not the whole IAS administration in fault. This case what Swamy is referring, we need to see if its present case of US Kumawat or someone else.

Lastly, almost main discussion and negotiations have happened in Delhi and Paris both. So it will be difficult for one to point saying everything is fishy.

Of course, IAS and IRS official conduct is a separate issue. GOI will deal appropriately

Edit: better give out specifics of whole deal.. its time folks know the strategic depth of India France relations

but if the french intelligence is doing the honey trapping or was it the dassault guys doing that because then why would they hand over the footage to RAW as per the article?
and what is this overcharging he is referring to?
from the breakdown of the deal amount we can clearly account for all the things like plane, spares, munitions, modifications

are they overcharging us on everything vis a vis other rafale deals or is there some loophole in contract and we would have to pay more later.?

Reactions: Aashish
but if the french intelligence is doing the honey trapping why would they hand over the footage to RAW?
from the breakdown of the deal amount we can clearly account for all the things like plane, spares, munitions, modifications

are they overcharging us on everything vis a vis other rafale deals or is there some loophole in contract and we would have to pay more later.?

The deal is already signed genius. GoI is legally bound to pay the agreed to cost, irrespective of how much it is and how it was arrived at.

Now that CD is worthless, but can buy goodwill from GoI and RAW if its handed over AFTER the deal was signed and help Indian govt. nail one of its own erring officer. It can be assumed that this CD was shared as the details were already known to RAW.

but if the french intelligence is doing the honey trapping why would they hand over the footage to RAW?

are they overcharging us on everything vis a vis other rafale deals or is there some loophole in the contract and we would have to pay more later.?
What i know is there is no loopholes..I believe there is more about a misuse of power and perhaps a political patronage angle.

French folks giving to RAW makes it abundantly clear that there is some other aspect involved or perhaps red-flagged by Indian side itself to keep under watch.

If there was one-bit corruption, French newspapers would have screamed hard against Hollande and Macron would have obviously used that for political mileage. or by local politics.

Recall that Le Drian is now a powerful person who had got all contracts done for raffys.. and he is at times talked as next president as well.. (by some).. so essentially any corruption will end his career too.

They can scream all they like, but they can't change facts.

No one wants to change the facts, but someone does want to bring out the truth to light and bring public attention to this so that the system learns from its mistakes.

Funny how the person who bring things to light is being painted black. Such is the world we live in.

Rafale was a GTG, so two govts are involved in the negotiations and there's no room for financial corruption there.
how can you be sure sir please elaborate and put my mind to ease this is really a disconcerting news to me and has shook my faith in this deal,
there is no doubt in my mind on the loose and corrupt nature of our bureaucrat the only thing that will stop that is cross checking and multiple inspection of the deal by all the parties involved in this case PMO and MOD itself.

if this is true i don't know what to say.

What is his history with Rafale ?
I have linked to it. Here it is again:

BJP leader Subramanian Swamy threatens to move court against Rafale deal

“No one is buying the planes in the country. Dassault (Aviation- the company which manufactures the fighter jets) says if India does not buy these planes then they will wind up. Many counties like Switzerland signed an MoU, but later cancelled it,” Swamy said.​

1. When he said that, Egypt had already bought 24 Rafale. This had been much publicized, so anyone with any remote interest in the question would have known it. To claim otherwise shows that either he doesn't know what he's talking about and hadn't even spent 30 seconds for looking it up on the Internet before talking about it, or he deliberately said a lie. In either case, because the lie is so blatant, it makes of him a clown.
2. Dassault never said this. First, it too was demonstrably false: the French military programming law guaranteed Dassault 11 orders per year until 2019. If the Rafale had not been exported, then France would have simply bought more of them, those were the terms of the contract. Secondly, Dassault has a civilian activity, which represented around 70% of its income back in 2015. So even without selling Rafales to anyone, Dassault would still be around. Finally, why would Dassault ever say this, even if it were somehow true? Such a claim basically translates to "please rip us off, we're vulnerable" and only the most complete morons (like Swamy) would ever think such a thing is believable.
3. Switzerland didn't have any MoU. It had a competition, which the Rafale won, and then the Swiss government preferred to go with a cheaper aircraft (that arrived last in the competition and failed it on every single criteria in the evaluation, BTW), which led to a referendum canceling the deal altogether.

Swamy is full of shit.

The senior BJP leader added that if the government wanted to please France, then it should have bought the company, which is anyway running into losses.​
“If the government does not agree to this, then I have to go to the court. It is a corrupt deal and can spoil the name of the party.​

Buying the company is impossible, would definitely not please France if it were possible, and Dassault was not running into losses. Three more points of Swamy being a clown who takes the people listening to his lies for complete morons. How colossally stupid must you be to believe the kind of shit he says?

Also he said he would have to go to the court. Now, you know what happened -- India bought the Rafale, paid the first installments, the aircraft are being built, Indian pilots are being trained. Did Swamy go to court? No, he didn't, because, once again, he's a clown and a liar and the stuff that comes out of his mouth is undistinguishable from the stuff that comes out of his anus.

I have linked to it. Here it is again:

BJP leader Subramanian Swamy threatens to move court against Rafale deal

“No one is buying the planes in the country. Dassault (Aviation- the company which manufactures the fighter jets) says if India does not buy these planes then they will wind up. Many counties like Switzerland signed an MoU, but later cancelled it,” Swamy said.​

1. When he said that, Egypt had already bought 24 Rafale. This had been much publicized, so anyone with any remote interest in the question would have known it. To claim otherwise shows that either he doesn't know what he's talking about and hadn't even spent 30 seconds for looking it up on the Internet before talking about it, or he deliberately said a lie. In either case, because the lie is so blatant, it makes of him a clown.
2. Dassault never said this. First, it too was demonstrably false: the French military programming law guaranteed Dassault 11 orders per year until 2019. If the Rafale had not been exported, then France would have simply bought more of them, those were the terms of the contract. Secondly, Dassault has a civilian activity, which represented around 70% of its income back in 2015. So even without selling Rafales to anyone, Dassault would still be around. Finally, why would Dassault ever say this, even if it were somehow true? Such a claim basically translates to "please rip us off, we're vulnerable" and only the most complete morons (like Swamy) would ever think such a thing is believable.
3. Switzerland didn't have any MoU. It had a competition, which the Rafale won, and then the Swiss government preferred to go with a cheaper aircraft (that arrived last in the competition and failed it on every single criteria in the evaluation, BTW), which led to a referendum canceling the deal altogether.

Swamy is full of shit.

The senior BJP leader added that if the government wanted to please France, then it should have bought the company, which is anyway running into losses.​

“If the government does not agree to this, then I have to go to the court. It is a corrupt deal and can spoil the name of the party.​

Buying the company is impossible, would definitely not please France if it were possible, and Dassault was not running into losses. Three more points of Swamy being a clown who takes the people listening to his lies for complete morons. How colossally stupid must you be to believe the kind of shit he says?

Also he said he would have to go to the court. Now, you know what happened -- India bought the Rafale, paid the first installments, the aircraft are being built, Indian pilots are being trained. Did Swamy go to court? No, he didn't, because, once again, he's a clown and a liar and the stuff that comes out of his mouth is undistinguishable from the stuff that comes out of his anus.

Dr. Swamy threatened to move against the Rafale when the CONgress was in power and when the cost of the Rafale was HIGHER than what the NDA signed it for.

He made those claims when Rafale HAD no orders and there were reports of deals between sonia and the french.

THAT is why the Modi govt. scrapped the original deal and renegotiated the whole thing.

So India owns a vote of thanks to dr. swamy for safeguarding our interests.

And I take Dr. Swamy a LOT more seriously than the CEO of Dassault.

Since you seem to be an expert on things that come out of his anus, I will leave that to your judgement.

No one wants to change the facts, but someone does want to bring out the truth to light and bring public attention to this so that the system learns from its mistakes.

Funny how the person who bring things to light is being painted black. Such is the world we live in.
well rahul gandhi is a joke pay no heed to his bickering he doesnt have any info or clue about this.
Swami OTOH is someone i do hear to as he does have some good points to make , but so far he has said some inaccurate about rafale deal
however he does have some good info on things in general which is why i am really alarmed too but i wouldn't reach a conclusion yet.

I think we should Petition the PMO or RTI this.

well rahul gandhi is a joke pay no heed to his bickering he doesnt have any info or clue about this.
Swami OTOH is someone i do hear to as he does have some good points to make , but so far he has said some inaccurate about rafale deal
however he does have some good info on things in general which is why i am really alarmed too but i wouldn't reach a conclusion yet.

I think we should Petition the PMO or RTI this.

What is the point ? The deal is already signed.

And Modi govt. has no plans to buy more Rafales until they demonstrate execution of the Offset.

What is the point ? The deal is already signed.

And Modi govt. has no plans to buy more Rafales until they demonstrate execution of the Offset.
well we should ask for the complete breakdown of the deal atleast that much they should reveal to put everyones mind on ease.
i have decided i will RTI this only then i can sleep easy.

i am getting nightmares like when i had heard we paid 3.4 billion USD to upgrade some 50 odd mirages Blimey.

well we should ask for the complete breakdown of the deal atleast that much they should reveal to put everyones mind on ease.
i have decided i will RTI this only then i can sleep easy.

i am getting nightmares like when i had heard we paid 3.4 billion USD to upgrade some 50 odd mirages Blimey.

RTI will be rejected on National security ground.

Pretty much all defense deals has varying degrees of corruption rolled into them. From a contract to providing rice to the army, to petrol and diesel , to medicines and army canteens.

Why would you assume things are any different in arms purchase ? Literally everything that is sold to the defense forces have cuts being taken at many levels. Including cuts being paid to officials when payment is release for services or goods provided.

RTI will be rejected on National security ground.

Pretty much all defense deals has varying degrees of corruption rolled into them. From a contract to providing rice to the army, to petrol and diesel , to medicines and army canteens.

Why would you assume things are any different in arms purchase ? Literally everything that is sold to the defense forces have cuts being taken at many levels. Including cuts being paid to officials when payment is release for services or goods provided.
Sad state of affairs ... sighs

He made those claims when Rafale HAD no orders and there were reports of deals between sonia and the french.
Nope. I checked the timeline. When he said that, the Egypt deal had been signed for nearly a month already. Swamy is a liar. But even if I were to give you this point, it still doesn't excuse all the other blatant falsehoods that he has peddled to a gullible audience.

If you want to know what is really happening:
So Anti Rafale and anti French issues will be created as I have said time and again.

Reactions: RATHORE
Nope. I checked the timeline. When he said that, the Egypt deal had been signed for nearly a month already. Swamy is a liar. But even if I were to give you this point, it still doesn't excuse all the other blatant falsehoods that he has peddled to a gullible audience.

If you want to know what is really happening:

Just because Rahul gandhi is shouting "scam", it does not make Dr. swamy a liar.

Something similar or maybe worse happened in Russia too, During Vikramaditya.

images

how can you be sure sir please elaborate and put my mind to ease this is really a disconcerting news to me and has shook my faith in this deal,
there is no doubt in my mind on the loose and corrupt nature of our bureaucrat the only thing that will stop that is cross checking and multiple inspection of the deal by all the parties involved in this case PMO and MOD itself.

if this is true i don't know what to say.

You can say the deal was more expensive than it could have been, we got 50% offsets also. But there was no corruption since the deal is negotiated at the highest level.

There is no history of corruption in GTG deals. That's why our deals with Russia and America have always been clean. Most corruption happens through tenders because companies resort to using middlemen, like how we use brokers for dealing in real estate or stocks. And these middlemen go around bribing people. But in GTG there are no middlemen.