Small Arms & Tactical Equipment

Here it is: the OFB R2 assault rifle (7.62x51mm Nato) -

OFB R2.jpg

@Milspec @Hellfire @Ashwin @vstol Jockey @GuardianRED @randomradio @Vergennes @Aashish @Levina @Himanshu

A little less than 200,000 will be imported. Those are for the frontline troops.
I have my doubts. In another forum I had very clearly shown the calculations that for a weapon firing same bullet with same amount of explosive in it will produce equal amount of recoil. Now this recoil can be reduced by recoil suppressors or by creating some kind of recoil absorbing mechanism and the lethality increased with a longer barrel. All these things add weight to the gun. OFB has done a very good job by creating a better recoil suppressor resulting in longer barrel with larger strike power at limiting range. The guns which are competitors to OFB gun are way behind in this game. I will be shocked if IA orders any other gun than the OFB gun. Please understand, when you do rapid firing or short bursts, your shoulder gives up. A fatigue sets in which reduces your aiming quality. 7.62x51mm is a big bullet with considerable recoil. Our old 7.62LMG had this round.

I have my doubts. In another forum I had very clearly shown the calculations that for a weapon firing same bullet with same amount of explosive in it will produce equal amount of recoil. Now this recoil can be reduced by recoil suppressors or by creating some kind of recoil absorbing mechanism and the lethality increased with a longer barrel. All these things add weight to the gun. OFB has done a very good job by creating a better recoil suppressor resulting in longer barrel with larger strike power at limiting range. The guns which are competitors to OFB gun are way behind in this game. I will be shocked if IA orders any other gun than the OFB gun. Please understand, when you do rapid firing or short bursts, your shoulder gives up. A fatigue sets in which reduces your aiming quality. 7.62x51mm is a big bullet with considerable recoil. Our old 7.62LMG had this round.

I suppose it's possible.

Hi,

I shoot 7.62x51 nato quite regularly, recently through an AR10 20" barrel with 1/10 twist in semi Auto and a traditionally with bolty longstroke with a 22" barrel. I have also shot both the G3 and the FNfal neither of which I own and finally Saiga in 308 which by design would be the closest to this OFB contraption. The saiga was the one which by concept of it , i was close to buying but refrained from as soon as I shot it, because it is the least likable of the all the 7.62x51N rifles I have shot. Given I do not shoot a lot of 308 and I am pretty well built (or atleast I like to think so) I do not have any complains on the recoil impulse about the 7.62x51N, it a medium recoil rifle, In an afternoon I will go through close to 50-80 rds, but yes if I do run couple of hundred round, i can feel it the next day on the 7.62 N.

Inherent issue of a AK style barrel lug and its offset in it's reciprocating mass is the barrel rise it produces which in turn causes the barrel flex. This makes a general 7.62x39 ak's a 4-5 moa gun (even my krebs custom ak is at best a 2 Moa gun on a good day), compound that with 7.62x51Nato, I predict the gun would be worse. Now if this rifle was based on the dragonuv / rpk receiver and it's bolt carrier group then it would mean some business, but given OFB's track record I don't think they would even try that. instead this most likely is a straight forward Saiga 308 action copied with rest standard insas pattern stuff. (I dont expect much from a company that puts bayonet lugs jvpc)

A little less than 200,000 will be imported. Those are for the frontline troops.
IA logic, nothing to complain.

If my fears are accurate this gun will make the insas look real good.

@watercarengineer if you are here.

I take it back, if I had to put my own money down the ofb product i would buy the insas.

A screengrab of the R2 rifle...

UkcemDR.png

+++++

Punj Llyod-IWI JV

Key Points & Statements from PLRS Rep:

• It's been about an year since the Punj Llyod Raksha Systems (PLRS) plant in Gwalior started operating
  • Next month (May 2018), the first batch of 25 Made-in-India Tavor X-95s will be handed over to Indian customers (I'm assuming MHA forces)
  • The Tavor is already being used by the Special Forces. Doubting it's reliability in Indian conditions is a no-brainer as no one can use the gun in a more rugged way & in more varied conditions than what the SFs do. If it's good enough for SFs, its good enough for Infantry.
  • IWI is fielding both the ACE and the Tavor in the IA competition.

IA logic, nothing to complain.

If my fears are accurate this gun will make the insas look real good.

@watercarengineer if you are here.

I take it back, if I had to put my own money down the ofb product i would buy the insas.
Is the INSAS available for private purchase?

+

Your Views on the Caracal weapon system ? why does it looks familiar?

Last edited:
Is the INSAS available for private purchase?

+

Your Views on the Caracal weapon system ? why does it looks familiar?

No Insas is not for private purchase. But from time to time OFB Ishapore SMLE's pop up in US, so maybe one day insas will too.
I had trashed insas a bit on the other forum and watercarengineer called me out on it.

caracal iirc as an emarati company, makes quite bad semi auto handguns and some AR15 and gas piston AR15/MKEK clones.

Reactions: GuardianRED
Atleast the got rid of the shiney display piece with this one

Q: what is ammo is .300 Blackout?

Sorry, the reporter needs to do his home work - Dubai IS NOT Abu Dhabi!!!!
.300 blackout is a stanag alternative for 7.62x39 . Has very similar recoil impulse, range and bullet loading as the 7.62x39 but will fit in stanag mag, thus can have a ar15 upper to be swapped and used on the same lower receiver.

Its a good 7.62x39 option for shooters who want the 7.62x39 stopping power, but in a AR15 accuracy package.

Reactions: GuardianRED
No Insas is not for private purchase. But from time to time OFB Ishapore SMLE's pop up in US, so maybe one day insas will too.
I had trashed insas a bit on the other forum and watercarengineer called me out on it.

caracal iirc as an emarati company, makes quite bad semi auto handguns and some AR15 and gas piston AR15/MKEK clones.
The OFB LE is quite in demand in the US yes? , they do love the bolt action

On the Caracal - How do they work around the IP?

The OFB LE is quite in demand in the US yes? , they do love the bolt action

On the Caracal - How do they work around the IP?
copy paste from quora:

only intellectual property that exists for the baseline AR-15 design is the term “AR-15” itself. That is a trademark owned by Colt and only they can use it to designate a rifle as an “AR-15”. You’ll notice that everyone else labels their rifles “Something-15” like “M-15”, “ST-15”, “EA-15”, “M&P-15” and so on.

There is no fee to make the standard AR-15 design. The design is in the public domain today. Anyone can produce it as long as they don’t market it as an “AR-15”.

All about the AK-103 assault rifle, the weapon India Army is keen to lay its hands on – Indian Defence Research Wing

To blunt AK-47 bullets, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre now has lightweight bulletproof jacket

The team has developed three different types of jackets using the combination — two standalone jackets for hard steel bullets and another jacket, which can protect against mild steel core bullets.

barc1.jpg

The lightweight bulletproof jacket.

The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Trombay, has developed a lightweight bulletproof jacket that, according to researchers, is easier to wear and more comfortable than the ones in use. The institute has used a combination of ceramic and polymer to make the armor panel, which can resist bullets made of hard steel core, including AK-47 bullets.

The team has used a combination of Boron Carbide, a widely used ceramic in nuclear reactors, and carbon nano tube polymer composite to make the hard armor panel. This combination makes the jacket light weight and effective.

“While there exist bulletproof jackets that use ceramic as the guard, the combination of ceramic that blunts the bullet and polymer composite, which absorbs the shock, is our addition to the technology. It can take bullets made of hard steel core (such as AK-47 bullets) as well as mild core. As we have tiled the ceramic combination, any bullet that comes through will be broken in the spaces between the tiles. We have applied for a patent,” said BARC’s Kinshuk Dasgupta, who led the five-member research team that developed these jackets.

At present, a bulletproof jacket that weighs over 10 kg, use steel to make the panel. According to the BARC, these jackets fail to protect the jawans from steel core bullets.

“The newly developed Bhabha Kavach, which weighs 6.6 kilos, can take heavy bullets, including AK-47, self-loading rifles and INSAS,” Dasgupta added.

The material research department of BARC initiated their study for the bulletproof jacket technology in 2015, after being requested by the CRPF and the Ministry of Home Affairs.

“While the first set of five jackets made with this combination failed, we got successful results in the following tests. We were ready with our set by 2016, but testing took time. The jacket has passed 30 different tests by third party-licensed labs in India,” Dasgupta said.

The team has developed three different types of jackets using the combination — two standalone jackets for hard steel bullets and another jacket, which can protect against mild steel core bullets. The latter can be used by state armed forces and local police to maintain law and order. The standalone jackets weigh 6.6 kilo and 4 kilo, while the third one is 3.1 kilo.

A committee, including senior Army officials from the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), is currently testing the jackets. The BARC, meanwhile, has completed a transfer of technology to Mishra Dhatu Nigam, Hyderabad, an armor company, to manufacture the jackets as well as the material used to make the shield. “Once CAPF approves our jackets, they can be widely used by the armed forces. As compared to importing jackets at higher costs, the initial cost of these jackets could be between Rs 60,000 and Rs 70,000. Once they become popular, we further aim to bring down the cost to Rs 35,000-Rs 40,000 per jacket,” Dasgupta added.

Minor news. The FN MAGs starting to see widespread adoption with Norwegian infantry. Originally the MG3 was to be replaced by the FN Minimi military wide with the FN MAG being used on vehicles only, but combat experience in Afghanistan, when that plan was formulated (2011) ,howed a need for a larger round at a squad level, hence the replacement of the MG3 with the FN MAG and having it be supplemented by the FN Minimi.

20180422_OSH_treshold-19.t5ae03f70.m800.x80NJo17A3iHNIvvbVsvJId03J2Xuh6cjaKWgPwXFw6A.jpg

171027untitled-2.t59f69b78.m800.xF6tzGtNrsuVEf6R4h-3_2v9_aoinQkkORDOkWcJS65c.jpg

20170511HR-7981.t5919528c.m800.xtHyHw748-85eGttU8UtI29HokN2vBPqn5cHjqM84m8o.jpg

150917_VBT_28.t59c3381c.m800.xZJ3gW_pOYPpIVnh91aKKfMGRTikbWeskVbqmgrQvGtI.jpg

It's been used on armored vehicles for some time now, but it's showing up in squads in greater numbers.

Welcome to Norway. No speeding.
CR14005.t53256836.m800.xo6X9j_FfVZ52awBEJpOrvfp7BNoxoNt9OfB_PaX4sBQ.jpg

20160302tk_R4793.t56d72edb.m800.xWRmuHPN5BCV_VRv3G8wQycKffLTw7CKK1WTZAoUp0OQ.jpg

It'll phase out the MG3 except on naval ships. It's likely to stick around with the Home Guard for a while longer though.

180210_Syltefoto_Derby_TP1_0137.t5a8d692c.m800.xUbutoeK1NNq7XthBaomexLKi0CGtBdipXagCSfbioG4.jpg

20170307LTR_0802.t58bec912.m800.x2DkG0fPDkWf44qodf1QoRA_nnD-t7ugtk6HOUySC6us.jpg

And a cool piece of kit you don't often see outside of the USAF and RAF. Norwegian Bell 412 SP gunners use the Gentex HGU-56/P helmet maxillofacial Shield.

20170315FR_-6235.t58c91384.m800.xOVAW7F7d3XbVy6OYsLwPdpJSHsISdphr6DlyfJ6xLYI.jpg

20170315FR_--2.t58c91380.m800.xIlTHM7c6kC0HGlMShkDejcQTgG9o4F6pUCLVRL3iCXQ.jpg

Last edited:
Heckler and Koch claims the rifle is accurate to within 1.5 minute of angle out to 600 meters. In other words, three well-aimed shots from the rifle will fall within a 1.5 inch diameter circle at 100 meters, and within a 9-inch circle at 600 meters. The average human male is eighteen inches wide at the shoulders, making the rifle more than capable of shots to the rough center of torso at that range. H&K further claims the G28 is capable of suppressive fire out to 800 meters.

H&K claims, Norwegian troops confirm. Outstanding pickup by the US Army.

AA_UrbanViking-Mink_2.t5552e0d6.m800.xbMo5OP8sjgDSNxWlBqdyF50HZ2UWI5fIWc0-4Z0Al-A.jpg

20160530f%C3%B8-6498.t57592f4e.m800.xVB68i7kZInlgVG9uAFvbZJOdgLaG-XRfvA1UP0Yns7E.jpg

_MG_2989.t59474d68.m800.xn0fuyNIufBj43f4LqaVf8Qebh6Sn2fV7loP0x7rasC8.jpg

20170622HR-4158.t594e1b74.m800.xOHKZoUIejySlcMDKkCP_HKaivuR3d7FQDNai3q7Rgqk.jpg

39.t51b04f9e.m800.x3gwcorV3zAonmN66neoYU3rtwzbrphonh0rjwoaTuF0.jpg

_MG_0036.t536e4fec.m800.xhrYgfRoEsLMR-vnd2svkWvXFfqvJhjDQOCssauwvmBk.jpg

SR060613001.t4fcc7928.m1200.xAAi-8ehHt_J4YMYPoKJbTeT96u8Cy3GpmLkF_V8ciCc.jpg

%C3%A5119_Grebe2016_Brohaugfoto.t572070bc.m1200.xOBB82uCuHmU0h8Bui0XAgciZNhEbUz5GfWrQTXHuZsg.jpg

It going to go great with their new HK-4... uh, I mean M27:p.

Last edited: