Zorawar: Light tank for Indian army

Cheap drones sadly aren't the answer to a combined arms brigade even today.

A good trained formation with heavy tanks, IFVs, Engineering Vehicles, Mobile VSHORADS, attack helicopters and CASEVAC systems in place still beats everything. And this is proven from all the wars since 1945 till today.

The failure of deploying such a formation is what leads to losses.

If Israel followed conventional norms, they would have demolished whole of Gaza within 72 hours.

The moment you break up the formation, that is the moment the war becomes attritional.
The cost of providing safe heaven for Tank warfare is so huge , that cost don't justifying the service provide by tank to the infantry.
A combination of Air cover,chopper,indirect fire support & IFV can do the job of tanks effectively.

• Agree
Reactions: jetray
Found it on social media.... Possible fragment based hard kill countermeasure configuration for Zorawar against sneaky drone attack + the tank already carry 2 kamikaze Drones or ATGM ?

GRzuHylacAAzRYG.jpeg
GRzuH7Ab0AAOydr.jpeg
GRzuH6-acAEHSM6.jpeg

@Rajput Lion how is this tank compared to K9? Can we mix and match?
K9 weighs over 47 tonnes but with 155mm gun. Even if we replace the 155mm gun with 105mm gun like that of Zorawar, it's hard of achieve sub 30 tonnes "combat weight". Zorawar is an all new design with focus on fighting at heights/mountains. K9 was always designed for plains and deserts. So hard to mix and match, IMO.

DRDO/L & T have done a great job despite what some pessimists are saying. Let's see now how other competitors react now!

Reactions: Sathya and marich01
Found it on social media.... Possible fragment based hard kill countermeasure configuration for Zorawar against sneaky drone attack + the tank already carry 2 kamikaze Drones or ATGM ?

View attachment 34562View attachment 34563View attachment 34564
It's 100% going to have "hard-kill" APS.
DRDO/L&T have done a commendable job by keeping its weight at just 25 tonnes. This light weight shall allow enough agility and mobility to outflank and outmanueuver the PLA formations.

As I said earlier, we are not just looking to hold PLA but push them back substantially. This light-tank is a glaring proof of our "aggressiveness", IMO.

Reactions: marich01
I hope it gets derailed. PT76s will shoot these down. Heck BMP2s will shoot these down.

A tank is an IFV if it's frontal arc protection is not good enough for it to lead an armoured thrust.

As of now this light tank is a glorified IFV.
DRDO created this mash up based on existing platforms just to score some brownie points, I am even surprise army agreed to it. We would have been better off with some thing like bradley having more serious fire power than a tank on aa diet.

Reactions: Paro
DRDO/L & T have done a great job despite what some pessimists are saying. Let's see now how other competitors react now!
I wonder who got the the idea of fighting with tanks on himalayan heights, they should be put in charge to supplying ammo to these tanks during war.

I bet it will suffer similar fate as arjun.

By just committing 59 units they have open gates for imported maal. Why don't they give it full commitment ,what is the need of splitting the orders.
I have a breaking news for you. It's not 25 ton 😁.
Will they revise the requirements or will stick to it like morons.

I bet it will suffer similar fate as arjun.

By just committing 59 units they have open gates for imported maal. Why don't they give it full commitment ,what is the need of splitting the orders.

Will they revise the requirements or will stick to it like morons.
It's not about imports. They want to keep doors open for DPSUs. OFB and co are losing their core business. The split order is to give them breathing space to reorganize. Otherwise, the OFB lobby wouldn't have let this happen, not even for a small order.

There will be a decade long drama, Zorawar will get the remaining order in the end. Multiple types of light tank is a joke. People like drama, outrage groups gets something new to bitch about. Corrupt generals and OFB lobby can remain hopeful.

We also need to keep in mind that the army's budget will never have enough money to order 300+ all at once. There are other expensive priorities like ATAGS or MRSAM. It's better to be happy with the progress.

Those side thick elements r actually buoy ( Boo-ee) to help Vehicle stay afloat & look similar to one on Russian new Kurganetz-25 IFV.

View attachment 34588

Turn out those are not ATGM Launcher but Kamikaze drone Launcher.....ATGM will be fired from main Gun.
I am not sure what option IA wants, but these are modular systems from John Cockerill; they can be changed as per the client requirements. Plug-and-play type of configuration

Reactions: South block
Those drones on turret can also be used to provide over the horizon targeting capabilities to Zorawar at longer distances before turning saka...... but still the biggest threat the tank faces is swarm drones attack & we haven't seen anything on how to deal with such eventuality.

I honestly think, this light tank is from a change in thought process vis a vis China. Give it some time, this tank will be para dropped. Combine this with the Stryker and you can form a backbone for airborne forces.

Both these indicate only 1 thing. Thinking has changed to provide capability to shallow push into Tibet, if required.

I honestly think, this light tank is from a change in thought process vis a vis China. Give it some time, this tank will be para dropped. Combine this with the Stryker and you can form a backbone for airborne forces.

Both these indicate only 1 thing. Thinking has changed to provide capability to shallow push into Tibet, if required.
The name "Zorawar" is a nice easter-egg for your second para;)

Reactions: Asterion Moloc
this is probably one of, if not the, fastest moving projects in modern Indian defence history. I don't care if they induct it or some import eventually wins, I just hope this pace development contonues. Hopefully it's a sign for the future rather than a 1 off.