Akash Series Surface to Air Missile System

Never heard of a single pulse Akash NG but then again I'm not following the program closely.

That dual pulse with the booster would probably be the only version & the reason they're not hyping the range & altitude could be cause they don't want to offend the Israelis for all you know .

The Baraks aren't exactly the most economical MR SAMs out there . If & when we buy them we're obliged to get some of those parts from Israel as per our agreement with them apart from a certain minimum qty both sides would've committed to .

I reckon we've ordered our quota of what we've committed . Just as Israel has gone it's own way we have too . Akash NG may well be our answer to MR-SAM / Barak -8 & it's subsequent iterations . Just my 2 cents .
A twin-pulse Akash-NG that is actually longer/wider than MRSAM would in no way or conceivable form have lesser range. In fact, range and speed should be even better.

If DRDO's claim of 30 kms is correct then no way it has twin-pulse. But if it has twin-pulse then your assessment looks perfectly viable(y).

If they're being economical with the truth about the range guess the same applies to altitude too .
If we had the dimensions/weight comparison of QR-SAM, VL-SR SAM and Akash NG rounds, we will be able to draw some rough estimates.
Not enough for balloons 😁😁😁😁
I was hoping someone to ask about canon trials of Tejas at Aero India.

Else we will have to depend on DEW pods on Su30MKI to do that job effectively.

Reactions: Abheer
A twin-pulse Akash-NG that is actually longer/wider than MRSAM would in no way or conceivable form have lesser range. In fact, range and speed should be even better.

If DRDO's claim of 30 kms is correct then no way it has twin-pulse. But if it has twin-pulse then your assessment looks perfectly viable(y).

From 30 it can be say 40-45km.

It won't be 70km untill the poster had a typo.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
If we had the dimensions/weight comparison of QR-SAM, VL-SR SAM and Akash NG rounds, we will be able to draw some rough estimates.

I was hoping someone to ask about canon trials of Tejas at Aero India.

Else we will have to depend on DEW pods on Su30MKI to do that job effectively.
VL-SRSAM:

Screenshot_20230217-064938_Chrome.jpg

QRSAM:

Screenshot_20230217-065017_Chrome.jpg

Akash-NG:

Now make your guess:)

Thanks 👍

Considering the figure 14km altitude is correct in the poster, I feel something like 50km should be easily possible.

And becoz it's dual pulse, expecting 70km range isn't wrong too.

(I am thinking that the effective envelope of a missile should be some sort of spherical shape. So if a QR SAM with solid motor is advertised for 30km range and 6 km altitude, a heavier Akash NG with a dual pulse motor.... )

Tedious task bro

Others might be interested

For what's it worth I find it hard to believe Akash ng range is 30km

If someone wants to compare the length and width of Akash NG with MRSAM

If more or less same or even with 10-20% less

And assuming fuel used / fuel grain configuration is same ( no reason to be otherwise)

And given it's 2 pulse ie boost coast boost

And say Akash NG is not spending time in coast phase , ie all the way powered flight

Even than it's range IMO will be bet 30-50

I think Akash-NG is tailor made for IAF by providing quick reaction and it will supplement the existing Akash missile. Both will provide dual layered protection to vulnerable points.

I wish DRDO did something and made the existing Akash missile canisterized. Then it would be having better service life.
VL-SRSAM IAF variant will most probably replace or supplement the Akash system as it is having better altitude and is canisterized.

I think Akash-NG is tailor made for IAF by providing quick reaction and it will supplement the existing Akash missile. Both will provide dual layered protection to vulnerable points.

I wish DRDO did something and made the existing Akash missile canisterized. Then it would be having better service life.
VL-SRSAM IAF variant will most probably replace or supplement the Akash system as it is having better altitude and is canisterized.
I think both IAF and IA would procure Akash-NG. I've already posted the pics of both Army and Air Force version.

Reactions: marich01
I think Akash-NG is tailor made for IAF by providing quick reaction and it will supplement the existing Akash missile. Both will provide dual layered protection to vulnerable points
SPYDER SAM does the quick reaction role for IAF.

Reactions: marich01
I think both IAF and IA would procure Akash-NG. I've already posted the pics of both Army and Air Force version.
Yes, there are chances. But then it be overlapping with QRSAM. But I will be more than happy if IA also orders it.
OSA AK is also with IAF. VLSRSAM might be a more mobile SAM replacement for that.
Does IAF operate OSA AK? This is new to me. I thought only IA operated it and IAF transferred their assets to IA.
SPYDER SAM does the quick reaction role for IAF.
Akash NG will supplement Sypder. Though I have read that only 1 squadaron of Spyder was procured. Is it true?

Reactions: Rajput Lion