Arihant-class SSBN - News & Discussions

Don't know if this was already posted. I'll post this anyway:
GUqSVWaaMAAxguN.jpeg

Sub shown here is likely INS Arihant. The amount of barnacle growth on the sub's body is a great sign. Submarines get this kind of barnacle growth when they spend many months underwater at great depths moving very slowly or not moving at all.

Don't know if this was already posted. I'll post this anyway:
View attachment 35260
Sub shown here is likely INS Arihant. The amount of barnacle growth on the sub's body is a great sign. Submarines get this kind of barnacle growth when they spend many months underwater at great depths moving very slowly or not moving at all.
Newbie question. Can double hulled N-boats lay still on the seabed?

Reactions: Rajput Lion
I'm guessing doubled boats can dive 2x deeper
Nope. There are always weak spots on the hull that will cave in at around 500 m. This would be true if one could make subs with no hull penetration. As in no conning tower, mast, escape hatches, hermetically sealed entry hatches etc.
Maybe they can bottom in shallower waters but not in the deep.
True. But if the water is deep enough the submarine only needs to get below the thermocline layer.

New boomer on the way!

More SSBNs, more better for us. However, SSNs are immediately required too!

More SSBNs, more better for us. However, SSNs are immediately required too!
For a project that was approved back on 2015 or thereabouts, there's a lot that the IN is not letting on. Psyops, of course.

The infra exists, funds are likely not a problem given that the PMO directly controls the program.

Waiting for another SSN update from Sandeep Unnithan of India Today. Nobody does it Better than him.

SSNs pared down to two units. More to be approved later
Approx 95% indigenous
Chakra-3 to arrive 2026
Larger S5 class SSBN on the anvil
No Akula is currently under refurbishment in Russia. Both hulls offered to India were found not suitable for upgrades.

If Russia starts to work on upgrade of an Akula just now, it will take 2028-29 to be delivered to Indian Navy.

No Akula is currently under refurbishment in Russia. Both hulls offered to India were found not suitable for upgrades.

If Russia starts to work on upgrade of an Akula just now, it will take 2028-29 to be delivered to Indian Navy.
This was from a TOI report today. I don't think the Russians will part with their latest Yasen class so without Akula we're in a bind.

Last edited:
This was from a TOI report today. I don't think the Russians will part with their latest Yasen class so without Akula we're in a bind.
Unless they salvage Chakra, and refurbish it, I don't think we are getting an Akula.

Best course of action now is France maybe...

Leasing, consulting with ssn project, etc

Unless they salvage Chakra, and refurbish it, I don't think we are getting an Akula.

Best course of action now is France maybe...

Leasing, consulting with ssn project, etc
Doubt France would share reactor tech but any help with quieting, sonar, periscope, pumpjet would be invaluable.

Perhaps we could take the Arihant's existing 83MW reactor, miniaturize it and port to the Batch-2 Scorpene. Since she's evolved from a long line of French N-subs, it might be feasible. Case in point, the new Brazilian SSN. I'm no expert here but it's a reasonable bet imo. Not sure about timelines, though.

Miniaturisation of a nook reactor is the hardest task, scaling it up is probably easier in comparison which of course pose a different challenge when it comes to using the same on a submarine, it gets heavier and completely mess up the balancing act in the submarine hull design.

Miniaturisation of a nook reactor is the hardest task, scaling it up is probably easier in comparison which of course pose a different challenge when it comes to using the same on a submarine, it gets heavier and completely mess up the balancing act in the submarine hull design.
The Batch 2 Scorpene should be longer by abt 10m to accommodate the NMRL AIP, possibly wider too. Could an N-reactor be made to fit within this space? In the early 2000s, there was talk about the Scorpene being considered specifically because she could take an N-reactor. Perhaps our reactor tech wasn't mature then, but maybe they could revisit the idea today, if the French were agreeable.

The Batch 2 Scorpene should be longer by abt 10m to accommodate the NMRL AIP, possibly wider too. Could an N-reactor be made to fit within this space? In the early 2000s, there was talk about the Scorpene being considered specifically because she could take an N-reactor. Perhaps our reactor tech wasn't mature then, but maybe they could revisit the idea today, if the French were agreeable.
What kind of garbage are you consuming? Don't fall for BS clickbaits to increase viewership for news.

70 meter submarine submarine to nuclear :LOL: . We are not that stupid or desperate.

What kind of garbage are you consuming? Don't fall for BS clickbaits to increase viewership for news.

70 meter submarine submarine to nuclear :LOL: . We are not that stupid or desperate.
This was a long time back. Around 2005 when the Scorpene deal had just been signed. Don't remember the exact source now.

It is technically feasible though. It is called a 'tea kettle' reactor. Here’s a link.

Newbie question. Can double hulled N-boats lay still on the seabed?
I don't think they can. At least that much is known for US nuke Submarines. They have water suction pipe on bottom for cooling requirement, hence sitting on bottom may suck mud or other objects resulting in damages.