Eurofighter Typhoon - Updates and Discussions

And it will be since the deliveries of the actual aircraft to the customer are later this year. I would say the subsystem has reached its final state.

It does rule out your conformal array ballox though.
We will see if it has reached its final state. :)
Obviously, Swiss doesn't need conformal array.

We will see if it has reached its final state. :)
Obviously, Swiss doesn't need conformal array.
The radar is in production, so it must have reached a final state.

The Swiss don't even need an air force if we're being honest. It's probably just an excuse to flog their over-priced aviator-themed watches.

I told you the E-Scan would be late.

He also said that Spain’s modernized Tranche 1 aircraft will be fitted with the new E-Scan AESA radar, but although it is reaching the end of development it missed initial delivery in late 2018.
Spain to Commit to FSAF at Paris Air Show: Airbus
And so the typhoon that carried out the Swiss evaluation tests did not have an AESA!!!!!

Last edited:
The way it's going, LCA may get AESA radar before Typhoon. ;)

On a more serious note, how do you think the Swiss evaluations are going. I'm quite eager to know how well the Rafale stacks up against the Gripen E and F-35A.

@halloweene @Bon Plan @Herciv @A Person
We would like to know too! But for the moment there is no leak, it may be necessary that all the evaluations are completed for someone to make a decision, or that the influence of pressures is considered too strong.

We would like to know too! But for the moment there is no leak, it may be necessary that all the evaluations are completed for someone to make a decision, or that the influence of pressures is considered too strong.

Yes, I think it may take a year at the very least.

I don't want a particularly detailed leak like last time, just where the jets stand based on capability would be enough.

Something like what the Danes released would be best.

That's not happening, Switzerland wants to maintain outward neutrality. High-ranked brass were punished for the leaks of the previous evaluation results, they also forbid the competitors to do any sort of PR stunt during the evaluation.

The way it's going, LCA may get AESA radar before Typhoon. ;)

On a more serious note, how do you think the Swiss evaluations are going. I'm quite eager to know how well the Rafale stacks up against the Gripen E and F-35A.

@halloweene @Bon Plan @Herciv @A Person

I hope that the Swiss have been able to experiment with the new GaN antenna of the RBE2 radar. This new antenna is 5 cm thick instead of 30 cm thick, which increases its diameter due to the conical shape of the Rafale's nose tip, and this new size allows 160 T/R modules to be added. The improvement in performance by combining size and power should be spectacular.

I hope that the Swiss have been able to experiment with the new GaN antenna of the RBE2 radar. This new antenna is 5 cm thick instead of 30 cm thick, which increases its diameter due to the conical shape of the Rafale's nose tip, and this new size allows 160 T/R modules to be added. The improvement in performance by combining size and power should be spectacular.
Unlikely given that it's going to arrive years after the Captor-E.

Unlikely given that it's going to arrive years after the Captor-E.
And captor-E was supposed to arrive years earlier. Why? Had Typhoon won mmrca in 2012, they should have started delivery by 2016-17. And India clearly did mentioned AESA capabilities in contract....😉😉

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan

So the nose radar of F4 will have 1300-1400 T/R modules?

Also I thought they plan on removing radar from the nose.