Eurofighter Typhoon - Updates and Discussions

Seeing the @BMD enthusiasm for Typhoon & Brexit, few question come to my mind, I would appreciate honest & neutral answers without any bias or preference, as I am truly interested in knowing.
We all know Typhoon is build by a combination of countries including UK, now lets ASSUME BREXIT has taken place.

From UK Prospective -
1) Will UK still be part of Typhoon Team, in any future upgrade/development??
2) On current sets of upgrades & development on Typhoon, what be effect, will UK remain a part or will the work schedule be divided by other counties??
3) What happens to already existing parts of Typhoon developed or built in UK?? will EU try replacing those parts independently for sovereignty sake to be less held hostage by a third country?? if so, does that mean either those existing supply chain in UK will have to shut shop or migrate to EU?? as for certain a limited supply chain cant cater to UK inventory of Typhoon, without other chain & numbers.
4) What happens to UK Typhoon in inventory, will they be effected & how by Brexit??

Now ASSUMING further Typhoon is shortlisted & Selected for India, I doubt it will, but still for a movement lets assume
From INDIA Prospective:-
1) Wont current hampered supply chain due to Brexit, hamper effective execution of project for India, knowing the various pulls & tugs, often sometimes hostile to each other??
2) Since UK be inclined to pursue a independent fighter program for future on its own or with partnership with a 3rd party & French/German likely to pursue a different one, which might replace EU Typhoon as truly European. Would it be even wise to go for Typhoon, knowing it likely be phased out or less likely to develop mid life cycle upgrades as existing countries party to its development be less interested??

I don't think Brexit is going to hurt the Typhoon program that much. Govts have a habit of waiving off a lot of hurdles for military programs that civilians typically face.

However the future of Typhoon is questionable. The partner countries are not sure about the upgrades today, 3 of them have chosen to go for the F-35 as well. And even Germany's decision to replace Tornados with Typhoons hasn't been done yet. There is a good chance Typhoon could disappear like Jaguar did.

At best the Typhoon can get one set of upgrades over the next few years, which they will make it last up to 2040 or so and then fizzle out.

If I were Germany, I would most definitely go for the Rafale, with a production contract, and link it to the FCAS program. The Germans can build the Rafale and then use the same line to produce FCAS. And when those Rafales come in for MLU, the same avionics as FCAS can be used. Perhaps the same engine as well. This level of commonality will result in a lot of savings. This way the Germans will be able to withdraw the Typhoon from service the same time as other partner nations.

The partner countries are not sure about the upgrades today, 3 of them have chosen to go for the F-35 as well.
The UK and Italy have gone for the F-35 to replace the Tornados, but neither Germany nor Spain have bought into the F-35 so far. Germany sought out France to start a new project instead, while Spain never operated the Tornado in the first place and has now decided to join the Franco-German project.

The UK and Italy have gone for the F-35 to replace the Tornados, but neither Germany nor Spain have bought into the F-35 so far. Germany sought out France to start a new project instead, while Spain never operated the Tornado in the first place and has now decided to join the Franco-German project.

Isn't Spain interested in buying F-35s in order to replace their Harriers and Hornets?

In short Typhoons are DOOMED, no one will buy into it due to long term insecurities & feasibility.
More people already have bought into it. 623 and counting. Clearly the majority of people aren't impressed by the French marketeering concoctions.

Everyone knows projects get delayed but I think he would know the number of modules far better than someone guessing on a forum.
In 2011 when he wrote his paper I was in exactly the same situation as him, i. e. Senior System Architect, Defence and Security Systems Division, LoB System Design Center. So I don't see why you put so much value on what he says and so little on what I say.
Besides, he seems like a clown to me, because that's not the only mistake he makes. For example, he says that the F-35, assuming it has the same performance as the E-Captor, since it has a T/R number of about 1400, would see the Typhoon at 120 km, while the Rafale with French settings (60° in elevation) already sees it at 132 km and with American settings (14° in elevation) would see it at 150 km. So if with 898 T/R you estimate for the Rafale you can see the Typhoon at 150 km, with 1400 you should at least see it at 200 km. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

In 2011 when he wrote his paper I was in exactly the same situation as him, i. e. Senior System Architect, Defence and Security Systems Division, LoB System Design Center. So I don't see why you put so much value on what he says and so little on what I say.
Besides, he seems like a clown to me, because that's not the only mistake he makes. For example, he says that the F-35, assuming it has the same performance as the E-Captor, since it has a T/R number of about 1400, would see the Typhoon at 120 km, while the Rafale with French settings (60° in elevation) already sees it at 132 km and with American settings (14° in elevation) would see it at 150 km. So if with 898 T/R you estimate for the Rafale you can see the Typhoon at 150 km, with 1400 you should at least see it at 200 km. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Quite simple, you're a guy on the internet and no major journalist has stated anything you say as fact.

The Rafale radar does not have any elevation, it is fixed straight forward, which is bad for stealth. One figure might be without stores, the other figure with stores, or you are just fabricating yet again. You know, like you do as regards A2A training. According to you the Rafale 'always' wins, yet the only report in a major publication - as opposed to a Rafale blog - says that the French pilots were taken aback by the efficiency of the Typhoon's HMCS. And that makes sense because HMCS always beats HUD LOBL in a dogfight.

Based on seeing a 0.001m^2 target at 59km, a 0.3m^2 target like Rafale can be seen at 437km, or basically whatever the maximum range is set to. The larger antenna will also be able to resolve targets at that range better.

More people already have bought into it. 623 and counting. Clearly the majority of people aren't impressed by the French marketeering concoctions.
Difference is, You are referring to past success & I am talking of future, with uncertainties that be compounded by Brexit, where all parties including UK are looking for alternatives, like F35 or other planes or develop something new in partnership with another. Long term MLU are suspect, will play a major dampener.
So when all my questions were related to future in earlier post, talk of past is irrelevant.

Quite simple, you're a guy on the internet and no major journalist has stated anything you say as fact.
It's not true, I wrote in a canadian newspaper, for exemple
Le logiciel du F-35
Autant en emporte le temps
Autant en rapporte le vent
And I don't do it anymore just because I'm too old now and it doesn't amuse me anymore

The Rafale radar does not have any elevation, it is fixed straight forward, which is bad for stealth.
It is not the elevation of the antenna I am talking about but the elevation of the search area where the antenna beam scans. In France we look in a zone of 140° by 60° and in the US they look in a zone of 120° by 14°.

One figure might be without stores, the other figure with stores, or you are just fabricating yet again.
No, he's talking nonsense. For example, to detect the F-35 at 59 km with a radar having 1426 T/R, the RCS of the F-35 would have to be 0.0036 m^2 instead of 0.001 m^2
You know, like you do as regards A2A training. According to you the Rafale 'always' wins, yet the only report in a major publication - as opposed to a Rafale blog - says that the French pilots were taken aback by the efficiency of the Typhoon's HMCS. And that makes sense because HMCS always beats HUD LOBL in a dogfight.
They also said that after only one day the French had adapted, that is, they had regained their usual superiority, but that you prefer to forget it.

Based on seeing a 0.001m^2 target at 59km, a 0.3m^2 target like Rafale can be seen at 437km, or basically whatever the maximum range is set to. The larger antenna will also be able to resolve targets at that range better.
To see a 0.001 m^2 target at 59 Km a 1426 T/R radar has to be GaN and in this case it will see a 0,3 m^2 target at 245 km. But E-Captor is not GaN and Rafale RCS is not 0.3 m^2

Reactions: Bon Plan
It's not true, I wrote in a canadian newspaper, for exemple
Le logiciel du F-35
Autant en emporte le temps
Autant en rapporte le vent
And I don't do it anymore just because I'm too old now and it doesn't amuse me anymore

It is not the elevation of the antenna I am talking about but the elevation of the search area where the antenna beam scans. In France we look in a zone of 140° by 60° and in the US they look in a zone of 120° by 14°.

No, he's talking nonsense. For example, to detect the F-35 at 59 km with a radar having 1426 T/R, the RCS of the F-35 would have to be 0.0036 m^2 instead of 0.001 m^2

They also said that after only one day the French had adapted, that is, they had regained their usual superiority, but that you prefer to forget it.

To see a 0.001 m^2 target at 59 Km a 1426 T/R radar has to be GaN and in this case it will see a 0,3 m^2 target at 245 km. But E-Captor is not GaN and Rafale RCS is not 0.3 m^2
Yes but I'm talking about respected aviation magazines.

Again, that's hear say. US radars do not just cover 14deg in elevation. You make up more and more crap on a daily basis.

But we know it's based on 0.001m^2 unfortunately for you.

Yeah, they'd adapted to getting their *censored*-whooped but didn't overcome. There is no way round HMCS in a dogfight. HMCS on an F-15 would even beat a Raptor in a dogfight. The advantage is disproportionate.

Captor-E doesn't need to be GaN for such a detection it seems. Yes, Rafale RCS is very much 0.3m^2, especially with Mr. IFR Probe sticking out.

Difference is, You are referring to past success & I am talking of future, with uncertainties that be compounded by Brexit, where all parties including UK are looking for alternatives, like F35 or other planes or develop something new in partnership with another. Long term MLU are suspect, will play a major dampener.
So when all my questions were related to future in earlier post, talk of past is irrelevant.
And how many people are looking at the Rafale? The Rafale has never met its expectations as far as export success.

In short Typhoons are DOOMED, no one will buy into it due to long term insecurities & feasibility.

There will always be countries willing to buy from the UK, let alone 3 other European countries. There's a significant political advantage there.

The Gulf countries especially can throw away their jets anytime they want and buy new ones. So it doesn't make a difference to them whether the Typhoon can be upgraded in the future or not.

More like 1000. The only picture we've seen of an RBE2-AA shows only 898 modules but we were told that was an inaccurate replica.:rolleyes:

And just because the antenna is thinner does not automatically mean they have increased the number of modules. That is mere speculation at this point.
It was the picture of a prototyp, made with US made T/R modules. These modules were bigger and less efficient than the serial EU made (explaining why EAU wanted a more powerfull radar in 2011. Something no more needed with the serial antenna).
No picture of a serial antenna was realeased.

E-Scan2.jpg

E Captor image shows 0 module. Anything else is just marketing garbage. :)
Is it a re used Tupperware plate ?

And how many people are looking at the Rafale? The Rafale has never met its expectations as far as export success.
Divide the exported EF by 4 nations and compare it to the 96 Rafale already exported.

Add at least 36 more to India, 12 to 24 more to Egypt, and some serious prospect (Denmark, Switzerland)