Status
Not open for further replies.
She is free to question it. It makes no change to the ground situation.
She does raise legitimate questions only if she doesn't overdo it which at times she does.

The same with all those people claiming an MKI was shot down or an F-16 was shot down. It's all irrelevant. Kinda like sports. Unless you are party to it, winning or losing holds no relevance to your own life. India beat Australia today, will that get you a promotion? The only thing you can take home with you is an ego boost.

My taxes don't fund the BCCI. It does fund the GoI. I have a legitimate and vested interest in the security of this nation and it's citizens. And just like any other taxpayer , I'm entitled to know the efficacy of the strikes. Likening national security to a game is flippant, by any measure.

The ones who are party to it are the ones feeling the heat. The general population's opinions are totally irrelevant to the people in uniform as long as public opinion is in their favour.

Please check above for what the general population feels and why the armed forces are accountable to the citizens of this nation thru an elected legislature as is the Government

He has been mum about everything the entire time anyway.

By him, I meant him personally as well as his team and cheerleaders in the media & outside of it.

How does restarting samjhauta become a necessity?

No clue. But the powers that be has decided it. And it's restarted. Look this is the reality. We can either accept it & move on with our lives or throw a fit online. There's precious little we can do otherwise.

Cut to Feb 14 th & the chorus was what will Modi do? A few days later taunted the same chorus - so is this what having a 56" Chest was all about? Then came the frenzy of Feb 26 th followed by the anxiety of Feb 27 th to the sobering thoughts today. In between certified bxxtsrds & beaches among our political class / journalists / academia / chatteri ( read public intellectuals) want to speculate in public the amount of body bags Modi needs to be re elected.

She does raise legitimate questions only if she doesn't overdo it which at times she does.

She is most definitely entitled to her opinion. But, in the end, it's only an opinion.

If you go by what the IAF has said, she is obviously wrong.

My taxes don't fund the BCCI. It does fund the GoI. I have a legitimate and vested interest in the security of this nation and it's citizens. And just like any other taxpayer , I'm entitled to know the efficacy of the strikes. Likening national security to a game is flippant, by any measure.

The part in bold. Actually, no. It's a common mistake people make. The fact is no one is simply entitled universally just because you are a taxpayer.

Entitlement is well-defined and very specific. In India, you are entitled to your opinion and freely express them. You are entitled to free primary education. After 2022, you will be entitled to free healthcare. None of this includes national security, which is strictly on a need-to-know basis. Even less so when it comes to foreigners like Christine Fair.

We have a system where the military declassifies details after a specific time period in order to satiate the curiosity of the general population, and its release is up to the military's discretion. So the military decides what information you are exposed to.

Think about it this way. Maybe zero people died in the airstrikes. Maybe the F-16 wasn't destroyed. Regardless of the end result what are you or Christine Fair going to do about it? All you are interested in is sating your curiosity, which is totally irrelevant to the situation at hand. As far as the military is concerned, it makes no difference to their work whether you are informed today or 25 years from today.

The fact is taxpayers have the freedom to change loyalties at any time. So why are they entitled to national secrets? You want to be in the know, then you are going to have to give up on a lot of freedoms that you take for granted today, considering the govt decides you qualify to be in the "need-to-know" circle of people. That's why you and I can shoot our mouths off about any topic under the sun on any given day without facing repercussions from the govt, but Vstol and Falcon cannot.

Please check above for what the general population feels and why the armed forces are accountable to the citizens of this nation thru an elected legislature as is the Government

The only thing the general population should be interested in is the end result, and whether it was achieved within the laws we created.

By him, I meant him personally as well as his team and cheerleaders in the media & outside of it.

That's fine. It's not like he can get away with lying about everything. You will have to rely more on what our military leaders say, not what Modi or RaGa say.

Modi and his ilk didn't say we shot down an F-16. Neither was Modi around when the IAF said 4 buildings were hit in the airstrikes. But any political mileage politicians and media get out of it is because most people are ignorant and are suckers for propaganda.

I'm asking why is it so? What are the technical reasons behind it?

Spaced based tech is highly classified generally. Purely on a technical basis, most of the tech does not have to be classified, but is still protected so that the small percentage that should be classified is kept secret and is not inadvertently leaked along with the non-classified bits.

Then you want to protect the quality of the images you can get out of your satellites as well. You don't want people to know how good or bad your SAR resolutions are. Then they will know how to hide from it.

Glean what you can out of these articles:
Anatomy of a Spy Satellite

Tracking Earth's Secret Spy Satellites - The Atlantic

I'm asking why is it so? What are the technical reasons behind it?
Actually, let me approach it from a different angle altogether.
Let us suppose the government release some piece of information but it is labelled as manufactured by the enemy. What will you do then? If now government's word is not enough for us then how we will react when the proof they present is said to be incorrect?

In the case of F-16, missile casings, we were able to find this much: there was an order placed by the US government to procure such missile for supplying to the enemy. It does not mean that the fighter was shot down. In fact, there is no way we can ever be able to prove that the fighter was shot down without acceptance from the enemy because you will never have access to the enemy's inventory.

In a nutshell, you will simply have some kind of data which we don't know how to make head and tail about most probably. Rather most people will not be able to make head or tail about. The enemy will simply deny it. We will be back in the same position again.

Reactions: BlackOpsIndia
She is most definitely entitled to her opinion. But, in the end, it's only an opinion.

The part in bold. Actually, no. It's a common mistake people make. The fact is no one is simply entitled universally just because you are a taxpayer.

Entitlement is well-defined and very specific. In India, you are entitled to your opinion and freely express them. You are entitled to free primary education. After 2022, you will be entitled to free healthcare. None of this includes national security, which is strictly on a need-to-know basis. Even less so when it comes to foreigners like Christine Fair.

We have a system where the military declassifies details after a specific time period in order to satiate the curiosity of the general population, and its release is up to the military's discretion. So the military decides what information you are exposed to.

Think about it this way. Maybe zero people died in the airstrikes. Maybe the F-16 wasn't destroyed. Regardless of the end result what are you or Christine Fair going to do about it? All you are interested in is sating your curiosity, which is totally irrelevant to the situation at hand. As far as the military is concerned, it makes no difference to their work whether you are informed today or 25 years from today.

The fact is taxpayers have the freedom to change loyalties at any time. So why are they entitled to national secrets? You want to be in the know, then you are going to have to give up on a lot of freedoms that you take for granted today, considering the govt decides you qualify to be in the "need-to-know" circle of people. That's why you and I can shoot our mouths off about any topic under the sun on any given day without facing repercussions from the govt, but Vstol and Falcon cannot.

The only thing the general population should be interested in is the end result, and whether it was achieved within the laws we created.

That's fine. It's not like he can get away with lying about everything. You will have to rely more on what our military leaders say, not what Modi or RaGa say.

Modi and his ilk didn't say we shot down an F-16. Neither was Modi around when the IAF said 4 buildings were hit in the airstrikes. But any political mileage politicians and media get out of it is because most people are ignorant and are suckers for propaganda.

It’s becoming clear that the numbers were not 300

It’s becoming clear that the numbers were not 300

The numbers are actually not relevant when you consider the big picture, that we are now no longer concerned about Pakistan's sovereignty. So it's fine even if it's 10.

But I do hope some leaders were killed. Leaders are indispensable.

Only the PA knows the true numbers.

She's entitled to her opinion, you to yours & me to mine. That doesn't address the question. Because a question deserves an answer not an opinion. Opinions are usually legalistic in nature. Answers aren't. That's the difference between posing an opinion and answering a question raised.

The IF released a bland statement where in they stated they had targetted structures housing JeM terrorists. What was the intention? To target structures or the people with in? Why can't they be quantified? If we lost 40, aren't we entitled to kill at least 40 of these scum? Why the coyness in disclosure?

The GoI thru the FS confirmed that this was pre emptive action against terrorists training to be suicide bombers, who were killed in large nos .The said facility was said to house up to 300 people. I suspect out of this arose speculation that up to 300 terrorists were killed. S. Jain of NDTV in the video I've Uploaded earlier has gone on record to state that govt sources had unofficially claimed such nos.

The program itself speculates that we may never know the true figure.

Now we have a minister of the BJP in the central government stating that the purpose of the entire exercise wasn't to have human casualties but to demonstrate to the Pakistanis that we can target such camps. Well, guess what? The Pakistanis reciprocated the gesture the very next day and how?

So whom do we believe?

Airstrike inflicted less damage in Pak, hints Ahluwalia

Just a year ago, we undertook Op Gaganshakti, where many members here including ex servicemen were of the opinion, we could tackle PAF, with our existing depleted strength in a matter of a few days and then transfer the entire IAF to our Eastern front. But hey! Why doesn't war follow the same script as a simulated exercise. Beats me.

I wonder if they hold the same opinions now.

So, why are we paying taxes then? Just because we earn a surplus or for the sheer fun of it?

It goes much beyond national security. It cuts to the very bone of it. It also covers individual freedom apart from a prescribed set of do's & don'ts as clearly emunciated by the Constitution of India. One can appreciate non disclose on grounds of national security if such confused and muddled thinking as reflected above weren't aired.

To re iterate. Did we undertake the air strikes to prove a point? Or did we undertake it as a reprisal measure? Or did we undertake it as a preemptive move? That's at the heart of this debate we're having here and none of the statements released so far by the GoI, the Armed Forces or individual ministers are in consonance with each other. In fact they're at cross purposes. Which brings up a suspicion voiced here earlier that there was no battlefield objective given by the GoI to the armed forces. All it wanted was to satiate public demand for retribution by staging something spectacular. As a one off event. Hype it up. Let the public celebrate. Avoid putting out facts and soon enough ppl would forget, go about biz as usual till the next big bang. Do we even have a coherent strategy to deal with terrorism in general and it's chief patron Pakistan in particular?

Where is our national security doctrine? I wouldn't mind if its a state secret to prevent making public all its contents. A redacted one would do too. Do we even have one?

The military doesn't decide squat. The GoI does. The military merely advises on the suitablity of putting out such info into the public domain. Stop indulging in subterfuge. Or please read up & be better informed.

Why hasn't the Henderson Brooks report yet been made public? What great state secrets are being protected by the armed forces for a war waged 6 decades ago when In spite of repeatedly being warned by the military the then GoI were living in their own fantasy world ?

Please check above for response on similar points raised by you.

The fact is taxpayers have the freedom to change loyalties at any time. So why are they entitled to national secrets?
So, your contention is that just coz a few thousands of a population of 1.3 billion people emigrate, the GoI is justified in keeping things under wrap for an eternity. Lazy and inept attempt at post facto justification. Come up with something better.

You want to be in the know, then you are going to have to give up on a lot of freedoms that you take for granted today, considering the govt decides you qualify to be in the "need-to-know" circle of people.

I want the bare bones. For details of the bare bones , pls refer above as answers to similar points raised by you . I'm not asking for a minutes of meeting down to the last punctuation mark.And what do you mean we have to give up a lot of freedoms? Are we a democracy or a police state? Aren't there enough democracies waging battle against terrorist movements of different intensities? Granted we are up against s more determined and formidable adversary who also happens to be a N power. Does that absolve our governments of inaction or ad hoc scant action?

That's why you and I can shoot our mouths off about any topic under the sun on any given day without facing repercussions from the govt, but Vstol and Falcon cannot.

Irrelevant, stating the obvious and gainsaying.

The end result is the result of decades experience gained at a huge material & human cost which ought to have formed the core of ones national security doctrine based on which the case ought to have been prosecuted.
Where's it? The end result could be a few years away or decades away. Each step we take towards that end decides how close we are to it or how distant. Hence, not only the journey must be mapped but each step documented and justified. We have been facing terrorism in myriad forms since the 80's in in different parts of the country mostly through a single patron. At the end of 4 decades we are no closer to the end than we were at the beginning. Why do you think this is the case? Who's responsible for it? If the elected representatives haven't done their job well, shouldn't the citizeny question them apart from holding them responsible and accountable. After all the politicians are secured behind a firewall of security at the cost of you and me - the taxpayers. It's we - the ordinary citizen who pays the price in lives & After paying due taxes that most ordinary politicians don't.

Again. Our military will only disclose that which their political masters permit. Nothing more nor less.

People want solutions. It's when solutions are elusive, when politicians make empty promises and assurances, when the body count doesn't stop over a period of time that frustration build up and explodes. That's where canny politicians do what they do best. Tap into public sentiment to expose the incumbent governments effeteness or give them a spectacle with a caveat - no questions to be asked. That's propaganda. Not the need to know or disclose the truth or at the very least, even be honest with ones own self.

Reactions: madmax613
Spaced based tech is highly classified generally. Purely on a technical basis, most of the tech does not have to be classified, but is still protected so that the small percentage that should be classified is kept secret and is not inadvertently leaked along with the non-classified bits.

Then you want to protect the quality of the images you can get out of your satellites as well. You don't want people to know how good or bad your SAR resolutions are. Then they will know how to hide from it.

Glean what you can out of these articles:
Anatomy of a Spy Satellite

Tracking Earth's Secret Spy Satellites - The Atlantic

IMG_20190303_073944.jpg

Pakistanis need to be punished by More
Airstrikes

Bomb their cantonments

1. They are being punished.

2. The moment you bomb their Cantonments, as suggested by you, the war expands to bombing our cities and towns. Now, why would India, with an economy that is doing well, do that?

My alternative suggestion, which I think is what is happening, is that the military pressure must be kept up. This is being done by the undermentioned three ways:

1. IAF, being weapons free for all practical purposes, will be used to strike other targets as and when the GoI wants it done. Till then, the weapons free status and the enhanced sortie rates will keep them busy.

2. IA, since it dominates the LC, can, at will hit targets on their side for any and all transgressions.

3. IN, having being deployed in Arabian Sea and what can literally be called some nautical miles away from Pakistan (within a couple of hours to get in range) must continue its posture of heightened state of alert. Unlike the popular misconception that Pakistanis try to peddle of being able to keep an eye on the waterfront as far as Kerala, the airspace and the seas are denied to them the moment they reach any where in proximity to the IN. I can mark the same on map but it is not prudent to do that as of now. IN has 'eyes' on every nook and corner of Pakistani coastline as we speak.

Concurrently, we must continue our diplomatic offensive. Pakistanis are very happy over the Kashmir reference in OIC and are claiming it as a sort of victory.

Heaven knows, only fools can do that. Imagine having to boycott an organization that they created as the organization failed to accede to their demands to un-invite India from the meet. While the narrative of 'Muslim solidarity' has to be portrayed, the situation remains quite different.

And with the proof of F-16 use being given to US, how long do you think will it take India to make a dent in that inventory without actually having to risk platforms or lives?

Actually, let me approach it from a different angle altogether.
Let us suppose the government release some piece of information but it is labelled as manufactured by the enemy. What will you do then? If now government's word is not enough for us then how we will react when the proof they present is said to be incorrect?

Madam, the enemy is unreliable. More so, if it's Pakistan. We owe it to ourselves to put facts in the public domain irrespective of what the enemy thinks.

In the case of F-16, missile casings, we were able to find this much: there was an order placed by the US government to procure such missile for supplying to the enemy. It does not mean that the fighter was shot down. In fact, there is no way we can ever be able to prove that the fighter was shot down without acceptance from the enemy because you will never have access to the enemy's inventory.

The truth always comes out. In some form or the other

In a nutshell, you will simply have some kind of data which we don't know how to make head and tail about most probably. Rather most people will not be able to make head or tail about. The enemy will simply deny it. We will be back in the same position again.

Negative. The data has to correspond to the statements of intent made by the GoI after the Pulwama incident which in turn has to conform to policy - if we have one, not only of dealing with such outrages but also addressing different facets of terrorism with a view to reducing it choking it and finally eliminating it.

What the enemy states is none of our concern.

Reactions: Nilgiri
It might again get hot from tomorrow as OIC summit is over. Or we might just go back to our normal lives. Just wait for another day.

I think you will find that lot of matrix will change and then one fine day, things will again escalate.

Our mechanized formations 'remain poised to proactively defend the nation against the evil designs of supporters of terror'. Man, whatever you make of that :D

1. They are being punished.

2. The moment you bomb their Cantonments, as suggested by you, the war expands to bombing our cities and towns. Now, why would India, with an economy that is doing well, do that?

My alternative suggestion, which I think is what is happening, is that the military pressure must be kept up. This is being done by the undermentioned three ways:

1. IAF, being weapons free for all practical purposes, will be used to strike other targets as and when the GoI wants it done. Till then, the weapons free status and the enhanced sortie rates will keep them busy.

2. IA, since it dominates the LC, can, at will hit targets on their side for any and all transgressions.

3. IN, having being deployed in Arabian Sea and what can literally be called some nautical miles away from Pakistan (within a couple of hours to get in range) must continue its posture of heightened state of alert. Unlike the popular misconception that Pakistanis try to peddle of being able to keep an eye on the waterfront as far as Kerala, the airspace and the seas are denied to them the moment they reach any where in proximity to the IN. I can mark the same on map but it is not prudent to do that as of now. IN has 'eyes' on every nook and corner of Pakistani coastline as we speak.

Concurrently, we must continue our diplomatic offensive. Pakistanis are very happy over the Kashmir reference in OIC and are claiming it as a sort of victory.

Heaven knows, only fools can do that. Imagine having to boycott an organization that they created as the organization failed to accede to their demands to un-invite India from the meet. While the narrative of 'Muslim solidarity' has to be portrayed, the situation remains quite different.

And with the proof of F-16 use being given to US, how long do you think will it take India to make a dent in that inventory without actually having to risk platforms or lives?

I really don't get why when a completely new door has been opened and the chamber has barely been explored....so many want to open even more doors first thing.

The zone we are in can serve us quite well (given it exposes a new floor below nuclear threshold), let us make use of it to maximum extent first....before we go looking for the next level of trouble.

We are still in the middle of modernisation of air defence, we don't have enough modern SAMs. In 2-3 years, we will have sufficient defences in place.

It's obvious PAF made use of the gaps in our defences.

May not be.

I have a different take. If you see the LC along Nowshera in Rajouri, the LC heads in a North-Easterly direction and then hooks over itself towards South-Easterly, thereby creating a Hump in a direction North-North West of the town itself.

What, strictly in my opinion here, seems to have happened was that the PAF's intended target, as mentioned by Air Chief Marshal AY Tipnis, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC also, was more deeper and likely the airfields at Srinagar and Avantipore.

The IAF did a great job at detecting them and intercepting them just on their side of LC as they took a 'technical violation' (flying within 10 Kms of their side of LC) and scrambling/vectoring the fighters in. In case of Wg Cdr Abhinandan, it seems that the Mig-21 Bison had a possibility of a kill and he took it. The F-16s were egressing from LC (after having crossed 3-4 kms into our side before realizing that interceptors were there) and in the attempt to down a F-16, which would comprehensively put forth the Pakistani use of same, he crossed into our side of 10 kms and approached near LC. Due to the nature of LC in the region, as his plane was 'shot' the machine flew across the LC proper (obviously the controls would have been shot and no one wants to eject at high altitude/bad topography in order to minimize personal injury upon landing) and he ended up in our territory under Pakistani control.

One can always argue over the necessity of his being 'enthusiastic' over getting a kill, indeed on the sidelines, it can appear as his eagerness to get a kill was the reason he got trapped, but it may also be possible that the intent to get a F-16 down may just have been an aim from the outset.

Status
Not open for further replies.