Indian AESA Radar Developments

Seems to be some progress is made towards a TD proto @Rajput Lion

1724762143166.png

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Rajput Lion
Great work by our scientists. However looks like a working prototype is still a decade away(hopefully early).

I just wish that AMCA MK2 and our future MKI replacement has this photonics based radar. Let's hope for the best👍
Unlikely a decade, few years maybe. Some baseline blocks are already made and proven. This TD is likely for establishing the core tech and for preparing the technical documentation which suggests the work is quite ahead. Most likely 3-4 years work depending on how many manpower work on that part. Could complete within 2-3 years if enough, say 6 engg team working on it. It mentioned 18 months projected.

Unlikely a decade, few years maybe. Some baseline blocks are already made and proven. This TD is likely for establishing the core tech and for preparing the technical documentation which suggests the work is quite ahead. Most likely 3-4 years work depending on how many manpower work on that part. Could complete within 2-3 years if enough, say 6 engg team working on it. It mentioned 18 months projected.
Oh yes! What I meant by almost a decade was its implementation into serial production for our fighter jets.

PS: Just trying to change my reputation here by giving "less" optimistic time frame, lol🤣

The usual twitter banter, lol. Anyways, it's true that most of our AESA tech is derived from Israeli tech and even our ASPJ pods are heavily inspired by them. But giving all-credit to the Israelis undermines the hard work our scientists have done especially in the GaN tech.

Regarding MKI UPG. vs Rafale. Well both are required along with a stealth fighter. In fact, we should order 36 more Rafale F4.2 along with 26 Rafale M as an immediate stopgap until MRFA winner is selected(I hope its Rafale).

The usual twitter banter, lol. Anyways, it's true that most of our AESA tech is derived from Israeli tech and even our ASPJ pods are heavily inspired by them. But giving all-credit to the Israelis undermines the hard work our scientists have done especially in the GaN tech.

Regarding MKI UPG. vs Rafale. Well both are required along with a stealth fighter. In fact, we should order 36 more Rafale F4.2 along with 26 Rafale M as an immediate stopgap until MRFA winner is selected(I hope its Rafale).

Rafale M ISE development +
Marine version uttam development..

We can avoid duplicition of development, ease of on board carrier maintenance & spares if we could club them.

No problem anyways, TEDBF will serve that purpose. Current Rafale M could be deployed in cartobar carrier / shore based base, if Tedbf is ready.

Lol. I don't think we're letting go of the RBE-2 that early, given all the money we've spent adding extra modes to it as part of ISE.

BEL is making TR modules in India too and plus the jets weapon and EW system is closely tied to it.

The IAF would not want the Uttam to replace the RDY-3 on the M2000, let alone Rafale!

French stuff is good but expensive.

Garlic naansense. Hurry up and retweet and comment below that Vayu tweet, increase his engagement scores, quick.

That's my rebuttal.

In terms of avionics, the MKI MLU should be compared to the late F4 and early F5 variants given the timeframe, not F3R.

But, even compared to F3R, the Rafale will be better optimised and more mature, alongside more experienced pilots with 1500-2000 hours of flying under their belt when the first MLU'd jet shows up.

With the exception of the radar, the LCA Mk2 will be much more comparable to the Rafale anyway.

@randomradio @Rajput Lion

Other than certification and FBW/flight control system mods, is there anything else Russia is contributing to the MKI UPG as the OEM?

Also, any chance we could be moving to MIL-1760 fibre-optic databuses for higher computing power on the MKI, maybe derived from AMCA? TIA

Other than certification and FBW/flight control system mods, is there anything else Russia is contributing to the MKI UPG as the OEM?
The plan is to make MKI as indigenous as possible(78%). So I think that's about it.
Also, any chance we could be moving to MIL-1760 fibre-optic databuses for higher computing power on the MKI, maybe derived from AMCA? TIA
Definitely possible. As per Prasun da:

Consequently, only the fire-control, weapons management and self-protection avionics suites will be upgraded (replacing Russian-origin hardware and software) using dual redundant MIL-STD-1553B databus-based architecture, along with MIL-STD-1760 stores (weapons) interfaces.

This is quite a good article on MKI UPG.: Sukhoi Upgrade Poised For Takeoff -

Replace Russian tech as much as possible. Any potential failure during development could see a Russian/Israeli stopgap.

No clue about the databus, but it should be on the anvil considering how much bandwidth next gen needs. We will use NATO standard as usual.