Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

IAF dont prefer any indian product unless its tested under user trials hundred times.
I mean now thanks to some pressure from the govt prob, they are working bit more coherently than before. MM projects are likely user trial & dev trial together. Astra mk1 tenders of late came with UT mentioned in the DRDO seal. Perhaps the same will happen with Mk2.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Alpha defense wrote on it now

Great to know that there ll be AESA seeker in astra mk2 . Currently no air to air missile except PL 15 got aesa seeker . Though there was a news some times back of japan using aesa seeker on a meteor missile . Dont know details .

Great to know that there ll be AESA seeker in astra mk2 . Currently no air to air missile except PL 15 got aesa seeker . Though there was a news some times back of japan using aesa seeker on a meteor missile . Dont know details .
The meteor uses the aesa seeker of the aam-4b. Pl-15 is junk

The meteor uses the aesa seeker of the aam-4b. Pl-15 is junk

Are you sure Meteor uses aesa seeker ? As far as i searched in internet , it does not . Yeah aam-4b is japanese missile . Got to know its worlds 1st missile with aesa seeker . Japan had integrated meteor with a aesa seeker . But dont know , if any such version of meteor is in active service . 2021 news .

Alpha defense wrote on it now

So they were indeed testing Astra 2 covertly and this batch ordered is for LSP?! Wow! Once again my gut feel proves correct:). This news has made my day. Thanks bro(y)

Reactions: marich01
Dev trials, they upgraded astra facilities few months ago for storage precaution. If LSP then the order would have come via large order & not DRDO tenders for a handful of units.
Different sections seem to give designated tenders. See below, 23MK2044, that is for Astra Mk2, 044 is number of tenders released so far.
23APS for MK1 & in general possibly Astra Propulsion System related.
23VLS is for VLSRSAM
All signed by VK Acharya sir of project Astra.
Astra LCA tender was marked as 23AIL, I don't know but it could be Astra Indigenous Launcher designated or Astra In LCA.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (5).png

1682864134433.png

1682864391102.png

Long process, and that is just the propellant grain processing, later all the testings, chemical analysis, radiography all that.

1682865215851.png

This is just a curiosity of mine and nothing official, just render so not posting in the Rudram thread. But can you guess/compare the warhead size of two if one is known. Below is pic of Rudram 2 and Rudram 3 renders there. We know Rudram 2 will have 155kg and 200kg class warhead for 2 roles. So do the two missiles look to have same size warhead there? to me it looks R3 warhead section is a bit fat/heavier. It is possible one is 155kg & the other is 200kg or 300 kg class.

mis01.png

Reactions: Fatalis
This is just a curiosity of mine and nothing official, just render so not posting in the Rudram thread. But can you guess/compare the warhead size of two if one is known. Below is pic of Rudram 2 and Rudram 3 renders there. We know Rudram 2 will have 155kg and 200kg class warhead for 2 roles. So do the two missiles look to have same size warhead there? to me it looks R3 warhead section is a bit fat/heavier. It is possible one is 155kg & the other is 200kg or 300 kg class.

View attachment 27757
Yes, the warhead of R3 seems bigger than the R2.

Other interesting things from the picture:
QRSAM :- IA specific
Akash-NG :- IAF specific
VL-SRSAM :- IN specific

2. IN is calling the Barak-8 as MRSAM instead of LRSAM.