Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

By assembling this it wont "dismantle" anything. There is no alternative that this defense industry offers. By using the same argument everywhere, you are diminishing it. Try to be rational.
Based on our existing systems we certainly have the capability to build such product. So why not take time & build it locally. Its not we are going to war tmmrw. If we keep giving such excuses , we will never build a local industry now or in future, it will simply be status quo forever.
we must also import Israeli generals since indian generals are not comparable.
we will certainly come to that stage , its just they are not ready to share power with them.

why Defence business is considered a high entry barrier business for the pvt sector.
one of the reasons is we dont have stable policies, why would any one invest & produce some thing if they know govt will import it any way ?

If we are flush with money , I understand that we can afford to buy these. It is true that one product will not fulfill all the requirements or have all the features there will be gaps but here in this case it does not look like that gap is so huge that army has literally no option.
Correct, there is literally no other option like LORA.

Based on our existing systems we certainly have the capability to build such product. So why not take time & build it locally. Its not we are going to war tmmrw. If we keep giving such excuses , we will never build a local industry now or in future, it will simply be status quo forever.
Building a new product takes 6-8 years or more. Pralay has been under development since 2015-16, but it is still not ready for mass production.

Its always like we are going for war tomorrow, any time there can be a conflict. That how military procurements are planned and prepared. Even if we order something today it will take 2-3 years to start deliver. Meaning, waiting for a new product development is a decade wait for services.

There are enough locally designed systems getting ready for mass production, including Pralay, Rudram, and LRLACM. We are building a capable industry, but you can't just ban new license productions when there is no alternative available.

See about the LORA part, quite sure its very advanced. We got to know in the latter part of 2022 and even at that time it was expected early resolution. The emergency procurement wildcard sort of got used too much otherwise we would have probably seen a trial video as well, if they were to show that is.

1722535521961.png

I am relatively new indian defence so i just have a couple of questions about the astra missile
1-How many astra missiles have been ordered yet, I have seen a lot of sources saying different thing sone say we have ordered around 248 , some say its undisclosed and others its close to 400 and here its said its around 600. So can anyone provide credible sources abour our orders.
2-Is our astra mk1 missile comparable to the chinese pl 15
IAF has granted production clearance to BDL for 200 Astra Mk1 missiles during a visit by IAF Dy Chief to DRDL, 2900 cr order was approved by DAC in 2022-23.

And also what does this clearence of old orders about didnt we already recieve them?

I am relatively new indian defence so i just have a couple of questions about the astra missile
1-How many astra missiles have been ordered yet, I have seen a lot of sources saying different thing sone say we have ordered around 248 , some say its undisclosed and others its close to 400 and here its said its around 600. So can anyone provide credible sources abour our orders.
2-Is our astra mk1 missile comparable to the chinese pl 15

And also what does this clearence of old orders about didnt we already recieve them?
First lot of 50 as LSP (Limited Series Production) order. Then in 2022, a order was placed for 248 missiles. PL-15 is a bigger and better missile.

This "clearance" seems like a photo opp for politicians and babus. I honestly don't know why they are not bulk ordering this missile. We ordered R-27 and R-77 in thousands and those need replacements.

First lot of 50 as LSP (Limited Series Production) order. Then in 2022, a order was placed for 248 missiles. PL-15 is a bigger and better missile.

This "clearance" seems like a photo opp for politicians and babus. I honestly don't know why they are not bulk ordering this missile. We ordered R-27 and R-77 in thousands and those need replacements.
ik wrong thread but just a question, does the iaf prefere r27 missile and its variants over the r77 as i have seen in a couple of reports that IAF is not happy with its r77 missile and even ordered more r27 missiles and also is the r27 ER/ET generally better than r77 RVV AE

ik wrong thread but just a question, does the iaf prefere r27 missile and its variants over the r77 as i have seen in a couple of reports that IAF is not happy with its r77 missile and even ordered more r27 missiles and also is the r27 ER/ET generally better than r77 RVV AE
We use R-27R/T, Its semi active and IR homing. A Different kind of BVR missile from R-77. We don't know the reason for their affinity towards these types. It could be doctrine. Most modern air forces prefer to stick with modern active homing missiles like Astra.

We use R-27R/T, Its semi active and IR homing. A Different kind of BVR missile from R-77. We don't know the reason for their affinity towards these types. It could be doctrine. Most modern air forces prefer to stick with modern active homing missiles like Astra.
yeah ig if we fire both the IR homing and semi active missile togeher at a single target then it would be probably be even more deadly than the r77