Indonesia orders 42 Rafale jets from France

You would need to look at what is in the offer. The F-15ex price is well documented. Of course it is cheaper than the Rafale.

$87.7 million flyaway

Last edited:
Surprisingly, the US $14 billion F-15ID price tag does not include armaments. But the 42nd Rafale's $8.1 billion contract includes armaments. In addition to the $14 billion price tag, Indonesia will have to pay at least $1 billion more for arms, including missiles.

It's just a DSCA estimate, the actual contracted amount will be far lesser. It will still be way bigger than the Rafale, but it won't be $14B.

But anything above $10B for 36 is still too much.

Can't think of anyone else beyond Iraq, Qatar and BD.

Ukarine should have bought 24-36 back in 2014-15, too bad they didn't take their own situation seriously enough.
Funnily chatter from Bangladeshi forums shows that they are interested in buying the typhoons. I doubt they will be able to afford it with their economic state though. Going for f-16's or gripens make much more sense. And Gripen E's would make great sense for what they are facing.

The DSCA values always correspond to a maximum estimate. Because that's simpler than lowballing it and then having to go through the authorization process again if it's exceeded.

For example, for the Qatari purchase of F-15, it's a total of 73 aircraft that were authorized. Qatar only took 36.

• Informative
Reactions: Sathya
Funnily chatter from Bangladeshi forums shows that they are interested in buying the typhoons. I doubt they will be able to afford it with their economic state though. Going for f-16's or gripens make much more sense. And Gripen E's would make great sense for what they are facing.

They are free to empty their entire budget on Typhoons. But if they are pragmatic, they would go for Rafales.

They want twin-engine, so I find any hint at interest in Gripen or F-16 suspect.

It's just a DSCA estimate, the actual contracted amount will be far lesser. It will still be way bigger than the Rafale, but it won't be $14B.

But anything above $10B for 36 is still too much.

42 Rafale for 8.1 $ billions
36 F15D for 13.9 $ billions.
Who said Rafale is costly ?
Looking at this and the Qatari f-15 deal. I doubt we will ever be interested in the f-15 EX with such an expensive price tag.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
They are free to empty their entire budget on Typhoons. But if they are pragmatic, they would go for Rafales.

They want twin-engine, so I find any hint at interest in Gripen or F-16 suspect.
Anything apart from mig 35 really doesn't make sense for BD to be fair

Looking at this and the Qatari f-15 deal. I doubt we will ever be interested in the f-15 EX with such an expensive price tag.

Forget money, it wasn't even technologically suitable. An upgraded MKI will be superior due to airframe advantages.

Lol. Upgraded MKI whenever that happens doesn't come close to the F-15ex and I'm not even a fan of the F-15ex.
You don't have to be a fan to understand that. In no way does f-15ex make sense for India. Forget all the export compliant downgrades to the f15's hardware and software, the entirely new supply lines & training will eat up a lot of money. Then comes the inflexibility regarding modifications for indian sub-systems that russians agreed to. All the new Indian A-to-A missiles and radars/maws/etc will never go onto f15.

I was reading up on the mess between Indonesians & koreans regarding kf21. It seems like the indons were dithering on their share of funds and would offer commodities in place of money (something that other south-east asian nations do as well). So, if this deal goes through, it seems unlikely that they would have money for kf21. Did they just ditch the project with the koreans effectively?
What are your views?

The only reason Qatar bought Typhoon and F-15 was because it was buying support from UK and USA during the time the Arab League, under the impulsion of Saudi Arabia, was trying to isolate them and turn them into a rogue state.

And the only reason Indonesia expressed a desire to buy the F-15 is to buy US support as well. US pressure forced them to cancel a previous deal with Russia. Now they need to give something to the USA so as to appease Uncle Sam; but they won't rely on it because they remember getting embargoed by America (1991-2005) back when they had mostly US equipment. After that they went to get Russian equipment, but America hit them with CAATSA.

Reactions: Bon Plan and Paro
You don't have to be a fan to understand that. In no way does f-15ex make sense for India. Forget all the export compliant downgrades to the f15's hardware and software, the entirely new supply lines & training will eat up a lot of money. Then comes the inflexibility regarding modifications for indian sub-systems that russians agreed to. All the new Indian A-to-A missiles and radars/maws/etc will never go onto f15.

I was responding to him saying an upgraded MKI is superior to a F-15ex which is buh-lo-ney not about cost.
I was reading up on the mess between Indonesians & koreans regarding kf21. It seems like the indons were dithering on their share of funds and would offer commodities in place of money (something that other south-east asian nations do as well). So, if this deal goes through, it seems unlikely that they would have money for kf21. Did they just ditch the project with the koreans effectively?

What are your views?
If they go F-15ex they will ditch Kf21. Kf21 is going to be very expensive.