LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

" You need to give it to the Cobham guys. The performance they gave for the Mk1 was phenomenal. Till RBE2 shows up, the Mk1 radar is the best we have. Bars may have the range, but Mk1 have the clarity. To give a simile, Bars will be like a 20X digital zoom, while Mk1 will be like 10X optical zoom. "

Credits : Dileep from BR

Too good a quote to not post.

Last edited:
" You need to give it to the Cobham guys. The performance they gave for the Mk1 was phenomenal. Till RBE2 shows up, the Mk1 radar is the best we have. Bars may have the range, but Mk1 have the clarity. To give a simile, Bars will be like a 20X digital zoom, while Mk1 will be like 10X optical zoom. "

I think he's talking about the Mk1A's radar. 'Cause the Bars is still better than the Mk1's radar. And RBE-2AA will be in India this year, whereas Mk1A is quite some time away.

@anonymous I know they are deployed but are they working that should be the question. :p

But isn't it so that in a dog fight/within visual range engagement a pilot will fly in such a way that it dodges the radar of another aircraft, by flying outside the radar coverage below or above the horizon. This 10x opt zoom is like for BVR engagement.

@Falcon @vstol Jockey

I think he's talking about the Mk1A's radar. 'Cause the Bars is still better than the Mk1's radar. And RBE-2AA will be in India this year, whereas Mk1A is quite some time away.

No he is talking about mk1 radar only.

Praising Cobham radome..

Mk1A will have radome designed by Israel and made by HAL it seems

bXw7NOW.jpg

Reactions: Sulla84