LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Some news before claimed derby ER is in trial with Tejas . Does anyone has more info ?

Here it is from Janes==

The latest developments come after the fire-and-forget I-Derby ER missile, which features a software-defined radar seeker and a dual-pulse solid rocket motor, was selected to be the primary AAM to arm the IAF's indigenously designed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) following successful test-firings in July 2018.

IAF plans to arm its Su-30MKI fleet with I-Derby ER BVRAAMs | Jane's 360

So derby ER already tested with lca !!

The pilot who helped Tejas breast the FOC tape

Excellent article & tribute to an outstanding test pilot on his retirement. @vstol Jockey
These guys came in for lot of bad publicity but their determination has given us a truely world class fighter aircraft. The technologies developed for LCA will go on to make India self sufficient in fighter aircraft design and production. Only ingredient missing to make a 100% Indian aircraft is the engine. Otherwise we now have everything available within India including AESA radar and BVRAAMs.

These guys came in for lot of bad publicity but their determination has given us a truely world class fighter aircraft. The technologies developed for LCA will go on to make India self sufficient in fighter aircraft design and production. Only ingredient missing to make a 100% Indian aircraft is the engine. Otherwise we now have everything available within India including AESA radar and BVRAAMs.
Apparently Air Commodore Mutthana inspite of being an ace pilot had to face career setbacks & retire as an Air Commodore while being a one time batch mate of ex ACM Dhanoa.
Ditto for Air Commodore Maolankar & his boys who've served as test pilots for the NLCA & lost on quite a few career prospects due to internal politics while never flinching from giving this project 100% of their support.

Someday I hope someone capable chronicles their stories , that of Dr Kota Harinarayana & hundreds of those little known / unknown names from HAL, DRDO & it's sister labs, ADA, IAF, IN, MoD, etc who battling untold odds stuck with their beliefs & helped see this project to it's fruition apart from realising it's true potential now manifested in it's various iterations coming to life.

• Agree
Reactions: Indianhawk and R!cK
Apparently Air Commodore Mutthana inspite of being an ace pilot had to face career setbacks & retire as an Air Commodore while being a one time batch mate of ex ACM Dhanoa.
Ditto for Air Commodore Maolankar & his boys who've served as test pilots for the NLCA & lost on quite a few career prospects due to internal politics while never flinching from giving this project 100% of their support.

Someday I hope someone capable chronicles their stories , that of Dr Kota Harinarayana & hundreds of those little known / unknown names from HAL, DRDO & it's sister labs, ADA, IAF, IN, MoD, etc who battling untold odds stuck with their beliefs & helped see this project to it's fruition apart from realising it's true potential now manifested in it's various iterations coming to life.
Yes, Mao and Mutthana did secrifice their own career and ambitions for this aircraft.

Prof. Roddam Narasimha was instrumental in convincing GoI to go for indigenous development of a contemporary fighter suited to Indian requirements. This at a time when we as a nation were generally dismissive about our capabilities. Prof. Narasimha, along with others, worked on the preliminary requirements and design which impressed Dassault. The positive reaction from Dassault convinced a person deputed from IAF to agree to support a home-grown effort.

Unfortunately some folks across the border say that LCA's design came completely from Dassault. Had this been the case then we would have faced immense criticism like the Chinese face.

Prof. Narasimha's name never figures in the credits list.

Prof. Roddam Narasimha was instrumental in convincing GoI to go for indigenous development of a contemporary fighter suited to Indian requirements. This at a time when we as a nation were generally dismissive about our capabilities. Prof. Narasimha, along with others, worked on the preliminary requirements and design which impressed Dassault. The positive reaction from Dassault convinced a person deputed from IAF to agree to support a home-grown effort.

Unfortunately some folks across the border say that LCA's design came completely from Dassault. Had this been the case then we would have faced immense criticism like the Chinese face.

the guys across the border saying this can't even design their own jet they are famous for paint job.

Dassault was awarded a contract to help during the developpment phase.

The FOC step is a great Indian achievement. Congrats.

Dassault was awarded a contract to help during the developpment phase.

The FOC step is a great Indian achievement. Congrats.
Yes, Dassault was involved as a consultant in the very early stages. I think that they came up with initial estimates and/or validated the broad design of the aircraft to suit the initial requirements that the aircraft had to satisfy. Their involvement and initial encouragement was very helpful in making GoI and IAF to agree to embark on something that was very ambitious for India at that time.

We faced a lot of difficulties coupled with the infamous delays that we are known for. However, to GoI's credit, there was always a fair bit of support for the program.

I was told that when Prof. Narasimha made his presentation to the top management of Dassault about the preliminary concepts of the LCA (at that time it was probably not referred to as the LCA), the Dassault guys were so impressed that they said that they would design the aircraft (since India had practically no expertise to do so) and India can pay them for their efforts. I'd say that fortunately we decided to tread the lonely path of developing an entire aviation industry from scratch.

Unfortunately some folks across the border say that LCA's design came completely from Dassault.

A professional there threw that statement at me. Had to point out that the design deficiencies in the LCA are such that a seasoned designer wouldn't have made such elementary mistakes. That ended the debate.

This is most definitely our own design. And we have learned from it and improved it a lot.

We have solved most of the problems of Kaveri on our own. We need help only in certifying the engine.
what about after burning section did we sorted out yet?
A professional there threw that statement at me. Had to point out that the design deficiencies in the LCA are such that a seasoned designer wouldn't have made such elementary mistakes. That ended the debate.

This is most definitely our own design. And we have learned from it and improved it a lot.
you would have asked that inbred expert why they ended in 3rd gen design even after taking help from their daddy china.

The blade throwing has stopped but we still have limitation in use of afterburner. It is still not fully stable.

Is the project still on? I thought it has been abandoned. However, Its good to know that a lot of issues have been solved by our scientists.
Any idea about the progress on the new engine they were planning to make for AMCA and Tejas MK2?

Also, in one of the posts above, you said the scientists have given us a world class product. Do you relly think LCA is a world class product?

A professional there threw that statement at me.

Lol at professional. Liars and fools, all of them. One "Professional" made claims about new and upgraded F-16s. He's since dropped off the face of the earth (his second account. The first wasn't granted a "professional" tag, so he created another and conned everyone... I saw through his crap from day one). A liar in the first class. The fools still believe he's any credibility and his word gospel.

No one there is worth a toss anymore.

Lol at professional. Liars and fools, all of them. One "Professional" made claims about new and upgraded F-16s. He's since dropped off the face of the earth (his second account. The first wasn't granted a "professional" tag, so he created another and conned everyone... I saw through his crap from day one). A liar in the first class. The fools still believe he's any credibility and his word gospel.

No one there is worth a toss anymore.

Propaganda is a Pakistani professional's full-time job now after all.

Reactions: Chain Smoker