LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

We do not have the finances or even political strength to actually close the 114 mmrca deal. Staggered batch buys of Rafales will continue.

And hopefully the MK1A program turns out a success.
Mk1a is just an improvement on Mk1. I don't see what's the problem here except for seamless & problem free integration of those extra bits of avionics & accessories that differentiate it from the Mk1.

It's the MWF that needs validation of design within prescribed time frames . To begin with it's first flight ought to be as scheduled by 2023-24 post which the IOC & FOC should take another 4-5 years & not more hopefully. For this to happen the GoI ought to sanction the funds stipulated which hasn't yet happened.

Out there on Trishul, PKS has already written the obituary of the AMCA along with the C-295 , the Ka-226, the Athos & what have you.I think he's asking for it
@randomradio . Let him have it.

Reactions: AbRaj
Mk1a is just an improvement on Mk1. I don't see what's the problem here except for seamless & problem free integration of those extra bits of avionics & accessories that differentiate it from the Mk1.

It's the MWF that needs validation of design within prescribed time frames . To begin with it's first flight ought to be as scheduled by 2023-24 post which the IOC & FOC should take another 4-5 years & not more hopefully. For this to happen the GoI ought to sanction the funds stipulated which hasn't yet happened.

Out there on Trishul, PKS has already written the obituary of the AMCA along with the C-295 , the Ka-226, the Athos & what have you.I think he's asking for it
The purpose of the MWF is to replace the Jaguar DARIN 3, Mig29UPG and then Mirage 2000 I squadrons. So if the production starts by 2030, its more or less fine. Allocation of funds amid the present crisis is difficult but lets see.

AMCA not going anywhere. We will need a 5th gen aircraft, and that's pretty much our only option.

C295W should also happen. Nothing against it. Eventually it will also partially replace our An32 fleet too. So it will happen.

Ka226T won't happen and shouldn't happen with HAL LUH. And Athos deal shouldn't happen with Dhanush and ATAGS progress.

Reactions: Sathya
Allocation of funds amid the present crisis is difficult but lets see.
Again, I don't see what's the problem here. The initial requirement must be for some 2-3000 crores for FSED. I'm sure GoI can afford that much considering it's criticality & the fact that there entire project has already been delayed for one reason or the other. Yet, nothing's moved & we don't know what's happening.

Again, I don't see what's the problem here. The initial requirement must be for some 2-3000 crores for FSED. I'm sure GoI can afford that much considering it's criticality & the fact that there entire project has already been delayed for one reason or the other. Yet, nothing's moved & we don't know what's happening.
If HAL can use officials to delay programs which will eat its potential market share, then so can the private companies.

What's the connection?
MWF is a direct replacement for 61 Jaguar DARIN III, 65 Mig29UPG and 47 Mirage 2000 I.

Thats a big market there. That's why even while knowing that MMRCA 2.0 even if gets awarded will be straight win for Dassault aren't fully giving up on Indian market. They know another big requirement is just few years ahead. And they know this too that not all of these be replaced by Rafales.

All the stuff mentioned will happen.

At worst delayed.

ATHOS is questionable, but it's subject to ATAGS clearing the trials. What works in ATHOS's favour is it's more advanced than ATAGS and cheaper than the Dhanush. What doesn't work in its favour is it's almost fully imported.

C-295 and Ka-226 are license production deals, so those are not at risk. Only direct imports are at risk, and this is mainly a message to the US. So NASAMS and UCAVs may be in trouble. Primarily the NASAMS.

Does this also include around 1 ton weight reduction in mk1A (by reorganizing internal equipment and getting rid of some Ballast)? This if planned, I think can result in a delay. Other than that, the integration of Radar and EQ suit is important. Everything else (like dual pylon, new missiles etc.) can be integrated later on while the aircrafts are produced and inducted (similar to Rafale deal - all indian specific requirements will be included in 2023).

Does this also include around 1 ton weight reduction in mk1A (by reorganizing internal equipment and getting rid of some Ballast)? This if planned, I think can result in a delay. Other than that, the integration of Radar and EQ suit is important. Everything else (like dual pylon, new missiles etc.) can be integrated later on while the aircrafts are produced and inducted (similar to Rafale deal - all indian specific requirements will be included in 2023).
HAL/ADA has its hands on LSP/PV aircrafts. The weapons and sensors testing and certification can be surely performed on them.

At worst delayed.

ATHOS is questionable, but it's subject to ATAGS clearing the trials. What works in ATHOS's favour is it's more advanced than ATAGS and cheaper than the Dhanush. What doesn't work in its favour is it's almost fully imported.

C-295 and Ka-226 are license production deals, so those are not at risk. Only direct imports are at risk, and this is mainly a message to the US. So NASAMS and UCAVs may be in trouble. Primarily the NASAMS.
If we go for Embraer deal, the C-295 may get scuttled. Ka-226 is a near dead deal.

HAL/ADA has its hands on LSP/PV aircrafts. The weapons and sensors testing and certification can be surely performed on them.

Agreed. But like I said, these weapons and some sensor integration can be done post production if not ready on time. Should not impact the production timelines. I am more interested in the weight reduction which may not be very easy.

I rember in the early days when MK1A was first announced, there was a discussion of weight reduction. @vstol Jockey was arguing that this MK!A with reduced weight (better TWR) will be better than the then MK2 (not the current MWF).

There is no mention of how much weight reduction the aircraft has seen.

If we go for Embraer deal, the C-295 may get scuttled.

IAF is in need for a jet powered medium lift aircraft like the C-390. So that's a more realistic option from Embraer.

There are also problems with indigenous production with Embraer even if an Indian company buys it. So the jets we buy will end up coming from Brazil. What's the point importing from Brazil?

Ka-226 is a near dead deal.

Has something changed over the COVID days? The last I heard they had decided on 62.4% indigenisation and were pushing for 70%.

IAF is in need for a jet powered medium lift aircraft like the C-390. So that's a more realistic option from Embraer.

There are also problems with indigenous production with Embraer even if an Indian company buys it. So the jets we buy will end up coming from Brazil. What's the point importing from Brazil?

Has something changed over the COVID days? The last I heard they had decided on 62.4% indigenisation and were pushing for 70%.
The Embraer jets can be produced in India for Indian needs only while the Brazil line can produce for exports. This will give India a complete portfolio of aircraft.
Ka-226 is more of a deal to bailout Kamov design bureau and has no benefit for India. We have superior product in LUH.

The Embraer jets can be produced in India for Indian needs only while the Brazil line can produce for exports. This will give India a complete portfolio of aircraft.

I don't believe there are any plans to move production outside Brazil for now, within the ambit of the deal.

Ka-226 is more of a deal to bailout Kamov design bureau and has no benefit for India. We have superior product in LUH.

It's impossible for LUH to be superior to the Ka-226T. Pretty much everything is in Ka-226Ts favour.

Twin engine, greater payload, better agility, superior access to the cabin, superior mountainside performance, modular cabins, superior altitude performance, superior hover control etc.

If Ka-226T is cancelled, then all that will happen is IAF and IA will launch a new tender for the helicopter instead of replacing it with the LUH.

Tejas detachment in an airbase in Uttar Pradesh
1590177737890.png

Reactions: screambowl
Ka-226 is a near dead deal.

Is it because of this?

The Indian Navy is expanding its fleet of anti-submarine warfare helicopters with a $904-million buy of 24 Sikorsky MH-60Rs, company officials said on Friday