LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Ohh! Saurav Jha had in enough...
Fiery replies to the ignorant / delbrate fellow journalists..

New info for me Tejas life hour is 9000hrs at present and it ll increase.. as we get to know more..
@randomradio

Lca wing size equivalent to MMRca wing sizes thereby able to lift weights equivalent mmrca weapon lifting ability at high altitude s.

I don't believe that 9000 hours is correct. What LCA has managed to accomplish is 9000 hours worth of ground fatigue testing, as of a few years ago. You have to divide that by 3 to get to max flying hours. The ground tests are still ongoing so it's expected to increase.

I don't believe that 9000 hours is correct. What LCA has managed to accomplish is 9000 hours worth of ground fatigue testing, as of a few years ago. You have to divide that by 3 to get to max flying hours. The ground tests are still ongoing so it's expected to increase.
Even 3000 hrs isn't a bad achievement, first up by any standard.

Even 3000 hrs isn't a bad achievement, first up by any standard.

For an aircraft designed in the 80 and 90s, for the first time, these are good figures, and are expected to rise. So we still do not know the max numbers. At the very least, it should reach 4000 hours.

For an aircraft designed in the 80 and 90s, for the first time, these are good figures, and are expected to rise. So we still do not know the max numbers. At the very least, it should reach 4000 hours.
I'm actually quite stunned you didn't concur with the 9000 hr figure quoted by S Jha. Is everything alright?

For its envisioned role, with multiple ejector racks for AAMs and hopefully a pylon cum SPJ, if possible will be more than enough fire power.
If the payload is approx 4T , I don't see why the enhancements you've proposed can't be added during it's MLU. Then again, why aren't these features added now to begin with? Something doesn't quite meet the eye.

If the payload is approx 4T , I don't see why the enhancements you've proposed can't be added during it's MLU. Then again, why aren't these features added now to begin with? Something doesn't quite meet the eye.
Multiple racks for WVR Missiles will come online on MK1A. And for SPJ, @randomradio is it possible to mount it on the port side where LDP will be mounted for a2g missions?

Coming back, what's so far happened in the program is water under the bridge. Nothing much can be done. The HAL/ADA are having conventional viewpoint, and for them getting the LCA delivered to IAF as a fighter which can from the go do the duties of Mig21 is of most importance. They view that making up for the lack of foresight some years back, will cause delays, which can prove very harmful for the program. They do not want to take risks as of now.

Again coming back to payload, if its having 80% readiness rate and can fly with 2 Derby and 2 R73 and a SPJ we are having its intended role covered. For longer CAP missions, you can always add two drop tanks. That's real good imo.

Even though it might replace some Mig27 squadrons, remember that it won't replace their strategic strike roles, rather just general purpose air to ground missions. And even in that case with the advent of guided munitions like Spice , it means we will not need a 500 kg bomb to do the required damage, a 125 kg one will do the same thing.

Multiple racks for WVR Missiles will come online on MK1A. And for SPJ, @randomradio is it possible to mount it on the port side where LDP will be mounted for a2g missions?

It can be done but, but I don't think they will do it due to possible interference.

Aircraft that can, carry 2 wing tip pods instead, which will give the jet 360 deg capability.

some snippets from that link:

Bhadauria said Monday that the list of aircraft planned to be inducted by the IAF includes 36 Rafales, 114 multirole fighter aircraft, 100 advanced medium combat aircraft (AMCA) and over 200 LCAs in different variants.

Air Chief Marshal Bhadauria also said his force is planning to acquire 450 fighter aircraft for deployment on the northern and western frontiers of the country over the next 35 years.

@randomradio et al, Is there a good analysis of operating costs of LCA compared to Mig-21 (in current state) right now.

I believe you have one somewhere, if you could be so kind to point me to it.

The way I see it , the MMRCA 2.0 was on the chopping block the day the MWF program was unveiled. One could continue seeing this charade till 2025 at which time one would get a clear understanding of where is the MWF program placed & then see it called off.

The Mk1a may well see an addition in it's numbers if there's some delay with the MWF.

As regards the Rafale, I think we'd see it being inducted in multiple tranches of 36 each over this decade with offsets.

Then there are the 2 iterations of the AMCA & possibly the FGFA.

Reactions: rockstarIN
The way I see it , the MMRCA 2.0 was on the chopping block the day the MWF program was unveiled. One could continue seeing this charade till 2025 at which time one would get a clear understanding of where is the MWF program placed & then see it called off.

The Mk1a may well see an addition in it's numbers if there's some delay with the MWF.

As regards the Rafale, I think we'd see it being inducted in multiple tranches of 36 each over this decade with offsets.

Then there are the 2 iterations of the AMCA & possibly the FGFA.
I just would like to add one point to this excellent post,
the MMRCA will also be dependent on the roll out of the Chinese technology - and its eventual usage
if the chinese tech proves to be formidable, then adding MMRCA quickly to counter their threat is an option we should keep open

else if Chinese tech proves not to be formidable, we will still go slow and until we get to 50% of their capability (and hopefully) get to catch up with them the remainder of this century.

Is there any precedence when such a large deal of the tune of 20 billion dollar to be decided through the open tender.
Doesn't this undermine the strategic partnership or political backing which a govt will seek to decide.as most of the contender are fairly close to each other f16/typhoon /rafale
So deciding it on the basis of gainful we will have ranging from the geopolitical to other will make more sense.
Why don't it was decided on g2 g basis on the very first place

Is there any precedence when such a large deal of the tune of 20 billion dollar to be decided through the open tender.
Doesn't this undermine the strategic partnership or political backing which a govt will seek to decide.as most of the contender are fairly close to each other f16/typhoon /rafale
So deciding it on the basis of gainful we will have ranging from the geopolitical to other will make more sense.
Why don't it was decided on g2 g basis on the very first place

We do not have the finances or even political strength to actually close the 114 mmrca deal. Staggered batch buys of Rafales will continue.

And hopefully the MK1A program turns out a success.