LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Defences against hypersonic cruise missiles should become active on ships by 2030.

But hey, if supercarriers are no longer the future, then delaying the current carrier would give time to decide whether that will be true or not. So it works out either way. All we have to do is look at what the USN plans on doing. They are currently studying the viability of a supercarrier fleet for a post-2030 world. It's possible that instead of 100-110kT carriers, they would rather go in for 75-80kT carriers, which suits perfectly well for us, which is what I'm suggesting.

Nevertheless, even if carriers are no longer important after 2030 or 2040, all major navies will still retain some carriers since their ability for force projection will still be unmatched. So 3 carriers, allowing 24/7 presence at sea, will still be important for India.

Anyway, the fact is if you want to control oceans, you need carriers. So carriers are still going to be relevant even after 2050. Only the future size of the carriers are suspect, and 80kT is a sweetspot for our needs. The French are also going for an 80kT carrier as well.

What we need are 3 aircraft carriers of 20,000 to 30,000T carrying drones and control aircraft. There is a need to re-look at what a CBG does and its composition going forward.

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
What we need are 3 aircraft carriers of 20,000 to 30,000T carrying drones and control aircraft. There is a need to re-look at what a CBG does and its composition going forward.
There's a need to have a relook at the LPD platforms considering we aren't going in for the AC this decade. Also the IN needs to rejig it's area denial plans viz : go in for a substantial number of subs by speeding up the Project - 75 ,kick starting Project - 75 (I) & to begin with go in for additional Scorpenes ASAP. All this is, of course, apart from the Black Projects viz : SSNs SSBNs & SSGNs .

Combination of : 2 Technology Demonstrators(TD) + 5 Prototype Vehicle(PV) + 2 Naval Prototypes(NP) + 7 Limited Series Production (LSP) aircrafts = 16 aircrafts in total.

Not possible. TD's are too old that they are far away from current specs and design. I doubt that they have flown in a long time.

The only thing they can convert is LSP's. Even them are test beds for different new techs. One lsp is being used for Uttam, another for avionics testing, another was fitted with refueling probe and mods, another ECW suites etc. One or two will be used in airshows.
Each PV's were different from each other.

Navy will come up with danda if anyone ask for Naval LCA prototype. It's their money and effort into this. In future I suspect they will also become test beds for tedbf techs.

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
Legion pod,

If we are not buying F 21 , why will
LM sell this pod to us

It's only 6 squadrons and to be used in the same role as the Mig-21. Hopefully Mk1 is also upgraded once Mk1A delivery is complete.
They are six as of now. But once we had nearly 20 of them. In 2000 we had 42 sqns which were
20sqns of various variants of Mig-21.
6 sqns of Jags
6 sqns of Mig-27,
3 sqns each of Mig-23, M2K & Mig-29
1 sqn of Mig-25.

If we are not buying F 21 , why will
LM sell this pod to us

Because this is capitalism. And legion pods are standalone thing.

Furthur for sake of argument, isn't it Sikorsky is part of LM? So why they selling MH 60 without selling F 21?

Everything is not about F 21. Also such pods are not like out of the world technology that LM keep it as ransom.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ashwin
They are six as of now. But once we had nearly 20 of them. In 2000 we had 42 sqns which were
20sqns of various variants of Mig-21.
6 sqns of Jags
6 sqns of Mig-27,
3 sqns each of Mig-23, M2K & Mig-29
1 sqn of Mig-25.

Yep, by the same yardstick we will have 13.5 squadrons of MKI and 6 squadrons of LCA.

IAF will not use it without SPJ if that is what you are referring to
Mk-1a onwards, they'd be equipped with SPJ. It's the fact that Mk-1a isn't equipped with RWR & MAWS which is troubling. Since the Mk-1a lacks internal space, they'd have to be pod mounted like the SPJ except there's no confirmation on it. I wonder if the SPJ, MAWS, RWR, Laser warning system etc would be part of upgrades for the Mk -1 though

Mk-1a onwards, they'd be equipped with SPJ. It's the fact that Mk-1a isn't equipped with RWR & MAWS which is troubling. Since the Mk-1a lacks internal space, they'd have to be pod mounted like the SPJ except there's no confirmation on it. I wonder if the SPJ, MAWS, RWR, Laser warning system etc would be part of upgrades for the Mk -1 though

So far I understand, LCA -MK1 FOC & IOC features RWR.

MK1A will be equipped with a digital RWR and ELTA 8022 SPJ. MAWS and Laser Warning are unlikely. I think even the current FOC version has analog RWR.

18 squadrons worth of suicide.
18 steps towards self reliance.....☺

Check out specifications of Gripen C,D and also MiG 21s which we still are operating. LCA mk2 will be able to take on Gripen E with regards to specifications and will be ahead of F-16 block 60/70.

Check how Russians took a baby step of mig15 then mig17 and now mighty flankers.

LCA might not be the best fighter plane in the world but it's no pushover either. It can hold on its own in combat against anything that Pakistan will be able to throw at us this decade. So no, it's not a suicide...😠😠

Reactions: lingesh92