LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Ok i might have miss read that. Sorry for calling you dumbo.
It's okay. Sorry on my behalf too🙏
AESA radars are no magic bullet. Limitation of aperture will be there for smaller fighters. A non AESA F-16 will pickup LCA with EL/M-2052.
We're talking about LCA MK1A with Uttam MK1. A non-AESA F-16 has no chance of picking Tejas MK1A before Tejas detects it.

Uttam MK1 variant with 7** TRMs tracked another Tejas at around 140kms. Yes 140kms! Now the production Uttam MK1A will come online with ~936 TRM variant. That should track another Tejas from around 160kms. And it'll come with the 2nd most devastating BVR missile after Meteor aka i-Derby ER. A non AESA F-16 has no chance of detecting/tracking Tejas from that long distance, whilst Tejas will track F-16 over 160kms distance and will be able to blow it out of air using Derby ER or Astra MK2 even at that distance.

Tejas MK1A isn't a joke. It's a seriously capable "multi-role" fighter. IAF has made the right call, we must support it.

IMG_20230825_220946_180.jpg

D5259436-AE6F-430E-B2B3-ECE7CA9042FD.jpeg

Ok i might have miss read that. Sorry for calling you dumbo.

AESA radars are no magic bullet. Limitation of aperture will be there for smaller fighters.

The IAF should never have been placed in this situation, but it is what it is.

A non AESA F-16 will pickup LCA with EL/M-2052.

Er, no. The LCA will see the F-16 from twice as much, perhaps more. Even with the same RCS, the LCA has a 50% detection range advantage. But LCA has much lower RCS, enough to give it another 30-50% advantage. The difference is even more stark against older F-16s.

My 2 Paise

1) Good to Hear that the Order is coming soon ( still waiting for the official notice)
2) Though wish it was for the Mk2 - unless we see it in the flesh - won't expect anything for it
3) BIGGEST GRIPE - Please for the sake of the nation - STICK to a schedule. All the chest-thumping and cheering is for la la land unless the delivery, testing, and handing over are done on time - No excuses. Case in Point - LUH , HTT - 40 (Has any one seen the production version of the trainer??)

• Agree
Reactions: marich01 and Ashwin
There is really no point in pondering order number for Mk2, until the first few proto start rolling out. Any force would want the suitable thing, not the first thing that rolls out of factory. First few proto should get to roll out, then it goes thru iterations, modifications etc. Then it matures into an acceptable standard. That is worthy of committing numbers. Currently, its just a concept.

Mk2 will get good numbers, similar to numbers of mig29 and mirages combined at least.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajput Lion
My 2 Paise

1) Good to Hear that the Order is coming soon ( still waiting for the official notice)
2) Though wish it was for the Mk2 - unless we see it in the flesh - won't expect anything for it
3) BIGGEST GRIPE - Please for the sake of the nation - STICK to a schedule. All the chest-thumping and cheering is for la la land unless the delivery, testing, and handing over are done on time - No excuses. Case in Point - LUH , HTT - 40 (Has any one seen the production version of the trainer??)

Funny how I pointed out in 2019 that HTT-40 won't arrive until 2024-25.

My earliest date for LCA Mk2 was 2030 and it appears that's the new date today. So induction can only happen in 2031-32. So this new order will bridge the gap between the two variants.

LUH is going fine now, albeit after years of development delays. Never mind the fact that we are still short of over 400 such helicopters.

Why is that?

Depends on the requirements. They need 300-350 LCA class aircraft, with the rest being mids and heavies. They can push that to 400 only if the IAF is sanctioned a bigger squadron strength.

Then GE 414 deal will be changed to GE 404 ?

No, the F414 is necessary anyway. There's even TEDBF and AMCA Mk1. It's a minimum 400-engine requirement. They will just order more 404s separately, like they are doing now.

Reactions: Sathya
MK2, TEDBF, AMCA all are next decade projects even if their LSP commences at the end of this decade. Thus the extra MK1A order is to tackle reduced squadron shortfall plus to give us numbers during a 2-front war situation. It also seems that IAF is impressed with Tejas MK1 and MK1A is a significant improvement over it. Thus the extra order shouldn't actually surprise anyone.

Tejas is a fighter designed with western philosophy and engine. After much denial, IAF seems to develop a liking for it and that bodes well for our desi aviation industry.

My 2 Paise

The schedule thing will be a big issue as we import a lot of dual use tech products, something that in current situation has faced huge uncertainty post covid. Even semicon industry, chips, general electronics and associated services have faced very significant problems and market has been volatile in nature. Availability, pricing, delivery you name it. These are certain constraints that are out of our hand. Until only the minor equipment are imported, this issue will remain.

Now that was equipment side, even in design stage our programs face delay due to multiple factors owing to a slower pace of work culture. We need to consider once our industry get used to this first gen indigenous products, pace will pick up. Much like in shipbuilding, the first ship takes time to build, 8-9 years. But the last ship gets delivered well below that much time. Its a leaning curve that needs sustaining.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
My 2 Paise

I have. :)