LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Maybe it's a doctrinal thing. The IAF no longer sees itself doing low and slow CAS missions, barring helo ops like CSAR. The new crop of stand-off weapons like SAAW and Gautam should keep them out of most SAM zones (Crotale, et all).
Agreed. But we're going to put podded MAWS in both MKI UPG. and MK1A. You never know when you need to go low and then MANPADs become a thing. So having a capable MAWS becomes imperative for survival.
For high value targets, they'll likely be banking on the Rafale and later, AMCA.
For High-Value ground/naval targets, don't count out MKI + BrahMos combo. It is feared by our enemies for a reason. For air-to-air regime, we're going to reduce MKI's RCS substantially in the UPG. version and with Astra 3, it can match Rafale in aerial lethality. AMCA, would be much more capable in taking out high value aerial targets ever so stealthily though.
Given the work that has gone into DC-MAWS, dual-band IRST, etc, how soon do you think we could develop a DIRCM for fighter class ac?
Already planned for AMCA;):

Screenshot_20240810-190648_Chrome.jpg

Image Source: Google/I D R W

Official render from DRDO

I like that the Mk2 has done away with the pilot tube like other 4.5 Gen fighters. Hope to see the same on the Mk1A as soon as the Uttam is fitted.

I know pitot tubes take up internal space. Do they also affect the radar FOV?

As an MWF, the Mk2 sits higher on the tarmac much like the M2000 its going to replace. Bigger intake. sharper claws too!

From the 'smallest, lightest, cutest delta wing fighter in the world' to big bad wolf.

Attachments

• GUiyJFfa8AUfEmE.jpeg
    GUiyJFfa8AUfEmE.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 38
One thing I do not like is this repeatedly timeline projection habit when it is well documented that all timelines are tentative and HAL as a company is heavily both import and supplier dependent. In a largely yet to be stable business supply chain condition worldwide it is kinda useless to project exact timelines.

But somehow both the defence audience and media are highly infatuated with timeline projection.

One thing I do not like is this repeatedly timeline projection habit when it is well documented that all timelines are tentative and HAL as a company is heavily both import and supplier dependent. In a largely yet to be stable business supply chain condition worldwide it is kinda useless to project exact timelines.

But somehow both the defence audience and media are highly infatuated with timeline projection.

Indeed, words like "expected, likely, soon" have lost all meaning in the context of Defence industry in Bharath. They mean zilch and are used as conversation fillers. Not once have I seen these timelines being adhered to !

Official render from DRDO

I like that the Mk2 has done away with the pilot tube like other 4.5 Gen fighters. Hope to see the same on the Mk1A as soon as the Uttam is fitted.

I know pitot tubes take up internal space. Do they also affect the radar FOV?

As an MWF, the Mk2 sits higher on the tarmac much like the M2000 its going to replace. Bigger intake. sharper claws too!

From the 'smallest, lightest, cutest delta wing fighter in the world' to big bad wolf.

The first time I had seen the LCA photo was at an event in IIT-Powai in 1994. I just showed the Mk2 ka first rendition to my toddler. I wonder, if I will show Mk3 photo to my future grandchild.

Is it possible to purchase category B - F404 engines from US reserves or elsewhere?

If we are desperate situation, can we transfer the Single seat Mk1 fighter engines to newly built Mk1A

And meanwhile can upgrade the Mk1 to Mk1A without engines.

@Rajput Lion @randomradio

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Is it possible to purchase category B - F404 engines from US reserves or elsewhere?

If we are desperate situation, can we transfer the Single seat Mk1 fighter engines to newly built Mk1A

These possibilities won't solve our long-term problem. Even the 97 extra MK1A order is on hold now. Let's see how much the ice melted after Modi's Ukraine and Rajnath's USA visit(s).

My gut feel is that situation would improve in future. But, till then keep our fingers crossed.

I don't think those are available. Hornet engines are different. All others are using theirs.

Mk1 is necessary to train pilots and industry.
These possibilities won't solve our long-term problem. Even the 97 extra MK1A order is on hold now. Let's see how much the ice melted after Modi's Ukraine and Rajnath's USA visit(s).

My gut feel is that situation would improve in future. But, till then keep our fingers crossed.

Yeah. America's really important for our strategic calculus, and we are even more important to them.

Hence the engines and Stryker deals. Btw, WhAP is a failure. It requires a lot more development. It's not even up to Arjun Mk1 standards yet.

Absolutely agree👍. Kaveri needs to be realized at any cost. Period.

Russian engines are a no go as far as IAF is concerned for Tejas. M-88 or EJ200 would be slightly larger for MK1A.

Having said the above, we need to engage with the Muricans for novel defence tech. Let's see.....

France had offered to develop that in exchange of offset clause in purchase of Rafale. Our Shitty Bureaucracy and third class politicians are unable to take any decision. When Antony was defense minister, he asked the navy to decide on specification of third aircraft carrier which has not yet happened. When Antony was defense minister, there were talks to finalize engine development partner. This has not yet happened. In India, we should not expect anything. We should just wait and pray. Modi is becoming more and more fearful and inactive and confuse day by day. All his focus is on to please some anti India forces inside and outside India. This has allowed traitors in India to push their anti India agenda and enemies of India to facilitate disruption through their proxies. It is very much possible that any anti India lobby getting hefty amount from US may be working to ensure that no engine deal happens. In worst case scenario, we may go for Russian engine technology and improve the same. However nothing is happening. Baba kalyani had said that India can make a good engine in 7 years if we start working seriously. Nothing of what I said is happening.

The immidiate replacement for GE F404 is M88 augmented to 60/90KN. It was tested about 5 yrs back and it can b easily fitted into LCA due to its size being smaller than F404. India must ask Safran to handover one replica of M-88 for trying its fitment into LCA.

There was proposal to make Kaveri using M-88 core. France was to make high temperature parts and was supposed to develop low temperature and pressure parts.

I am very eager to know about the proposed weight reduction and Aerodynamic Improvement in Tejas MK1 A. Weight was supposed to reduce by about 500 KG. Highest speed was supposed to improve by 2%, Transsonic acceleration was supposed to improve by 20%, internal fuel was supposed to increase by 60 k.g. I hear a lot about other things but i do not hear anything about these specifications. If anybody has any idea bout this, kindly share here.

@vstol Jockey sir. Kindly throw some light.

^^ They did try to shave some weight by lightening the landing gear and reducing the extra ballast(in the nose cone!!).....But I'm unsure about the above🤷‍♂️

Reactions: marich01
There is no significant ballast ..
I got replied from Indranil roy.
From what I have read over the years is that there was 200kgs ballast in the nose cone which got adjusted with liquid-cooling feature of AESA radar in MK1A.

Apart from that the landing-gear of original Tejas was over-engineered and thus heavy, which was planned to be made lighter for the MK1A variant.

However if Indranil denies the above then I'll take his word for it👍

Reactions: Sathya
From what I have read over the years is that there was 200kgs ballast in the nose cone which got adjusted with liquid-cooling feature of AESA radar in MK1A.

Apart from that the landing-gear of original Tejas was over-engineered and thus heavy, which was planned to be made lighter for the MK1A variant.

However if Indranil denies the above then I'll take his word for it👍
It happened in twitter.. Not able to find that tweet.. It ll be in replies of some tweet.

Got it..

Last edited: