LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

FGFA will come into the picture instead.

If that happens, we will have a Gripen vs F-16 competition.

Actually , I read Prasun Sen Gupta's post today where he made this Dreadful Prophecy
That Both Mk1 A And Mk2 are doomed

And that IAF is getting desperate

So I thought that ACAS ( plans ) must be doing some serious planning in case this happens

With the experience that IAF has had with Tejas so far , it is better to be a Pessimist
Rather than an optimist and make
Plan B,C,D

SAAB Gripen E can still be a possibility

And MK 1A will be capped at 20
I think we'd get the full complement of the Mk1a. I'm not sure of the Mk2 / MCA mainly on a/c of the timelines. We may terminate the program with a TD + prototype.

I think we'd get the full complement of the Mk1a. I'm not sure of the Mk2 / MCA.

The problem with MK 1A is that the Space and volume are the same as MK1

And you are expecting N Number of Tinkerings

Aesa Radar , SPJ , Refuelling probes , Better Drop tanks , Aesa also requires cooling , Multiple ejector racks , LRUs have to be modified for
Better maintainability and Serviceability

And God knows what else

I think we'd get the full complement of the Mk1a. I'm not sure of the Mk2 / MCA mainly on a/c of the timelines. We may terminate the program with a TD + prototype.
LCA MK2 will be a bigger dud than MK1A. What we need is better engine for Mk1A with higher dry thrust. The design of LCA itself is flawed. A tailless design is worst for air combat and also for lifting higher loads. Tailless delta is good only in cruise. Once you increase the length and wingspan, your empty weight goes up and the benefits in terms of payload are negated. Highly swept designs like LCA need very large wing area and will have very low wingloading as the Clmax is low for highly swept wings. Did you ever wonder as to why F-16/18 have such high wingloading while tailless deltas could never go beyond 450kgs/sqm.
Long back I argued with a gentleman on another forum about wingloading and Clmax values and how it is the Clmax which decide the wingloading and not wing area. I think he was some @ersaktivel.

The problem with MK 1A is that the Space and volume are the same

And you are expecting N Number of Tinkerings

Aesa Radar , SPJ , Refuelling probes , Better Drop tanks , Aesa also requires cooling , Multiple ejector racks , LRUs have to be modified for
Better maintainability and Serviceability

And God knows what else
The thumb rule seems to be to reduce weight & miniaturize as much as possible. A goal not completely related to achieving breakthroughs in cutting edge technology or in engendering an appropriate aeronautical ecosystem. It's more to do with detailed engineering and micro engineering.

LCA MK2 will be a bigger dud than MK1A. What we need is better engine for Mk1A with higher dry thrust. The design of LCA itself is flawed. A tailless design is worst for air combat and also for lifting higher loads. Tailless delta is good only in cruise. Once you increase the length and wingspan, your empty weight goes up and the benefits in terms of payload are negated. Highly swept designs like LCA need very large wing area and will have very low wingloading as the Clmax is low for highly swept wings. Did you ever wonder as to why F-16/18 have such high wingloading while tailless deltas could never go beyond 450kgs/sqm.
Long back I argued with a gentleman on another forum about wingloading and Clmax values and how it is the Clmax which decide the wingloading and not wing area. I think he was some @ersaktivel.

Sir what is CImax
And How is the Mirage 2000 so successful

LCA was inspired by Mirage 2000

The thumb rule seems to be to reduce weight & miniaturize as much as possible. A goal not completely related to achieving breakthroughs in cutting edge technology or in engendering an appropriate aeronautical ecosystem. It's more to do with detailed engineering and micro engineering.

We have the clock ticking by

IAF has to replace 5 planes in next 15 years
MiG 21, 27, 29 , Jaguar and Mirage 2K

There is no time or inclination for Science
Projects in IAF HQ

Actually , I read Prasun Sen Gupta's post today where he made this Dreadful Prophecy
That Both Mk1 A And Mk2 are doomed

And that IAF is getting desperate

So I thought that ACAS ( plans ) must be doing some serious planning in case this happens

Mk1A will progress, no problem. But if Mk2 is doomed, then the IAF will need either the Gripen or F-16. But the F-16 may not survive until then.

According to PKS , and I quote

"Those same Imbeciles who designed MK1
Are in charge of MK 1A and MK2 "

That is why both are doomed

Sir what is CImax
And How is the Mirage 2000 so successful

LCA was inspired by Mirage 2000
M2k was an evolution of M3. They realised that positive stability was imposing lot of restrictions so they went in for RSS and added FBW system. This allowed the aircraft to go with larger loads and improve the handling during combat as the flaps were needed thruout the flight to keep the CG within limits. M2K was successful against F-16 only in ITR and not in STR. It could not match up even to early gen MIG-29s in combat. It bleeds energy in combat rapidly. It was a good bomb truck for reasons I explained above. It could cruise very efficiently with higher loads.
The design for LCA was decided by IAF in 1984 over lots of chai, samosa and sutta. The team formed by IAF to decide the configuration had no clue of what they were asked to do. They were highly impressed with M2K and so asked for a similar design. Rest is history.

If Money becomes a problem there is No harm in getting More MiG 29 K s , Brand New Airframes with New RD 33 K Engines

They have a very decent Range and payload capacity