Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

What should we select?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's laughable the number of forumers who wake up and start attacking France, now that we have won the MRCBF and that we don't see how we could lose the MRFA. Technically it's impossible, so there remains malevolence and politics. ;) :p:ROFLMAO:
Until and unless we sign the deal with france, everything is speculative.

• Agree
Reactions: Amarante
I remember when the f-16 and fa-18 was dumped in the comp. The air chief at the time said in an interview..They had better radar and weapons, but someone had to go. it stuck in my head at the time, because i didn't think the F-16 was that much better than the eurofighter radar.

I have also said on this site, when I said the Rafale. I said 'even though the FA-18 is a better aircraft'. As an Aussie who is going to block lll and keeping them and the Growler to 2035..I'm a bit of a fan.
However The Rafale/FA-18 isn't as much of a separation to that of the Rafale/F-35.

However the navy said both platforms fulfilled their needs. I think it doesn't have to be the best, if it does the job.

The F-16 was rejected for being too old. The SH was rejected for both being old and a still untested engine, the EDE derivative.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
What if our Rafale M and all other American assets(P-8I/MH-60R etc.) are connected with something like B-Net? Does that combo make Rafale better or as comparable to SH?

I was really worried when you and @randomradio said that SH was better for our Navy. I just don't like even the idea of any US fighter in our service. So for me it was Rafale M, all the way.

Connecting Rafale with Indian stuff will be easier than with American stuff. It's because while the French are fine with working on comm tech, the US doesn't do the same by law.

So American stuff can only talk to American stuff, and even the French are forced to use American stuff.

The SH wasn't such a big danger, but it depended on them handing over engine tech, with LCA Mk2, TEDBF, AMCA Mk2 and SH flying the same engine. Plus carrier aircraft don't have very long lives.

Thats your opinion, Indian navy is taking plane for Multi role & not A2A missions, I doubt that Indian navy & Chinese navy would have a CBG vs CBG battle,
If PLAN attack us with their CBG, Rafale M would be at the forefront. So why not?
F/A-18 has more powerful engine and hence better thrust, when Rafale shows ability to take off with 1 exocet and 2 MICA, F/A-18 has shown ability to carry 2 Anti shipping missiles and 2 A2A missiles, so purely considering
1. Ski jump take off, the advantage will be to F/A-18 to be able to carry heavier load during take off, abt 15% more without afterburner, abt 23% more with after burner
Rafale M weighs around 10 tons empty and has 150kn max power. That's almost Thrust to weight ratio of 1:5. While SH produces 196kn thrust against empty weight of 14.5 tons. There is no way its Thrust to weight ratio is better than Rafale. Once we integrate Brahmos NG and Rudram series missiles onto Rafale M, its versatility is going to increase several fold.

So even if Rafale lacks in area you pointed out, it excels in others.
2. E-18G is one of the only plane that has ability to conduct electronic warfare, Rafale does not have any special plane, it claims that SPECTRA can do EW, but it cannot, those are only sensors for dection not Jammers. So Dassault does not have an EW version which F/A-18 has,
So F/A-18 E/F has many advantages over Rafale, Rafales limitations are well known

yes, but we are hadly getting anything for ToT, even Safran did not help with Kaveri engine which as one of the requirement when buying 36 Rafales was it not?
E/A-18G was not in contention. No point discussing it here.
The super-hornet was only better because it could be integrated with all kinds of American weapons. The biggest flaw of the super hornet is it's lack of irst. That might have been a bigger decider than I think most people assume. Rafale was a far more complete package as compared to the super hornet even though super hornet is a more mature platform. The super hornet is superior in a2g and DEAD but considering our rafales will carry the rudram the DEAD advantage will go to the rafale. The super hornet is just a more bulky and complex affair for the IN. The growlers would be just additional cost. Plus I feel the rafale m was much more similar to the mig 29k (size, irst) than the super hornet for the navy. And the rafale carry more payload too. Keep in mind the AF version of SH carries 8000-8500 kg of payload. The rafale carries 9-9500 kg of payload. And IN guys said that it was the one that carried the more payload in the trials. The rafale also has 13 hard points as compared to blk3's 11 hard points. The radar and ew capabilities are up for debate though. I would have loved if we bought atleast 2 squadrons of growlers though.
One correction. F/A-18E/F does carry an IRST on its centreline fuel tank. According to reports that IRST can pick VLO fighters in frontal sector(subsonic) over 100 miles(160kms).

This way or that, Rafale M is much better fighter for us. Its ITR/STR is much better. It can supercruise. It has world's most lethal missile in Meteor. And Dassault has agreed to integrate our Indian weapons onto it. So that adds to its versatility. Like it or not, GOI made the right call. Time to move on.

Reactions: Valhalla

This seriously looks like someone was paid by Boeing to bring out all the frustration.
This is just some emotional rant from someone in Boeing. :)
At its current rate of production, an Indian order will take a little over 25 years to reach the beginning of the production line.

• Haha
Rafale M weighs around 10 tons empty and has 150kn max power. That's almost Thrust to weight ratio of 1:5. While SH produces 196kn thrust against empty weight of 14.5 tons. There is no way its Thrust to weight ratio is better than Rafale. Once we integrate Brahmos NG and Rudram series missiles onto Rafale M, its versatility is going to increase several fold.

So even if Rafale lacks in area you pointed out, it excels in others.
SH F-18 BLK3 has total of 232KN thrust and is far more evolved aircraft in every manner than the blk2 aircraft which were part of MMRCA evaluation.

Block 3 do not involve engine upgarde.

The newest engine on SH F18 blk3 has 75.75KN dry thrust and 116KN wet thrust. check out the official boeing site.

• Informative
Not Boeing, but anti-Modi rant.

The article smells of "corruption hua hai" language. Note title of article... "Part 2".
Nothing to do with modi or anything. Its a natural reaction from people, when you trying to procure an aircraft which is ridiculously expensive while comparing with the other aircraft participated in tender, that too when both the aircraft is cleared technical parameters set by the user.
The newest engine on SH F18 blk3 has 75.75KN dry thrust and 116KN wet thrust. check out the official boeing site.
Is it confirmed that Rafale is going to induct? I beleive, as a platform FA18 SH is more deadly than Rafale during an indo china war due to US's ISR & weapon available for FA18.

• Haha
Reactions: Picdelamirand-oil
Problem with planes like Super Hornet and F-35 is that once your enemy has equal tech, your chances of blowing him out from over 100 miles becomes a pipe-dream. What if enemy nullifies your sensor advantage and closes in. In that scenario both F-35 and SH are sitting ducks against Chinese Flankers. Rafale M, even in that situation is an amazing fighter. Chances of Rafale M piloted by Indian Navy pilots coming on top of PLAN J-15s and others is much higher than not.

Rafale>>SH/F-35. Period.

It's a shame that we have to buy foreign fighters even after 75 years of independence. I hope whatever aircrafts we are buying this decade, be the last foreign aircraft we ever procure and going forward we have poorna swaraj in the aerospace sector.

It's a shame that we have to buy foreign fighters even after 75 years of independence. I hope whatever aircrafts we are buying this decade, be the last foreign aircraft we ever procure and going forward we have poorna swaraj in the aerospace sector.

That's the idea. AMCA is supposed to give us that.

• Agree
Again, not part of block 3. Even the USN did not take it.

• Informative