Rafale DH/EH of Indian Air Force : News and Discussions

A french source, near Dassault, said few days ago that the final goal is to have 57 for Navy and 72 for air force. Total = 129 (very near the famous 126 of MMRCA 1).

That number is way too less for the IAF. Whoever wins MMRCA 2.0, their orders will easily climb to 170 jets very quickly. And this is separate from the 72 that you have calculated.

And I bet Vstol will have something to say about the navy's 57 jets.

I know Dassault knows best, but if I were them I would concentrate on getting the IAF's 36 jets as first priority. The navy's deal can even get delayed or cancelled without any notice.

IMG_20180731_180509.jpg

Reactions: Sathya
I know Dassault knows best, but if I were them I would concentrate on getting the IAF's 36 jets as first priority. The navy's deal can even get delayed or cancelled without any notice.
Don't worry. The planes will be deliverd on time, on spec and on budget, as usual.

I will not be surprised to see an anticipate delivery, from some months..... ie 3 Rafale with ASTRA under the wings to parade over New Delhi in june or july next year....

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Mother of all defence deals’ set for govt nod amid Rafale sp ..

NEW DELHI: The government is getting set to grant initial approval to the long-drawn acquisition project for 114 new fighter jets for over $20 billion (Rs 1.4 lakh crore), with a seventh contender flying into the competition amid the political dogfight between BJP and Congress over the Rs 59,000 crore contract for 36 French Rafale jets.

Defence ministry sources said the Defence Acquisitions Council, chaired by minister Nirmala Sitharaman, is likely to consider ‘acceptance of necessity (AoN)’ for the 114-jet project deal later this month or early next month.

Under the project, while the first 18 jets will come in a ‘flyaway condition’ in three to five years after the contract is inked, the rest will be produced in India under the new ‘strategic partnership (SP)’ policy in a joint venture between the selected foreign aviation major and its Indian partner.

Interestingly, the Russian Sukhoi-35 has joined the race for India’s ‘mother of all defence deals’ by submitting its bid to the preliminary tender or request for information issued by IAF in April. This comes after the first six contenders — F/A-18 and F-16 (US), Gripen-E (Sweden), MiG-35 (Russia), Eurofighter Typhoon and Rafale — sent their bids in early July.

But it will take at least four to five years for the actual contract to be inked with the selected foreign original equipment manufacturer (OEM)-Indian partner combine. It’s estimated each barebones fighter will cost around $100 million, with another $100 million for ‘add-ons’.

Though IAF would like the entire process fast-tracked, to be ready to tackle the “collusive threat” from China and Pakistan, the still untried SP model involves quite a complex process.

While an Indian company will be selected as the strategic partner, the OEM will be chosen in a separate but parallel process. “Once the AoN is granted to the 114-jet project, the seven contenders will be given three months to respond to the EoI (expression of interest) to take things forward,” said a source.

Amid all this, some MoD insiders contend it would make “far better economical and logistical sense” to simply go in for more Rafales through a government-to-government deal, after the first 36 jets arrive in the 2019-2022 timeframe, but it has become a hot potato in the current political scenario.
Read more at:
‘Mother of all defence deals’ set for govt nod amid Rafale spat - Times of India

Su35 is too similar to Su30MKI. Better order a new batch of the MKI.

They just want a last shot at India's market. Both MKI and Su-35 are unrealistic. If they have any realistic chance, it will be with the Mig-35.

The reason Su35 won't be bought is its very high operating costs compared to MKI. And plus Super MKI upgrade is coming too.

It's obvious they will offer the Super MKI configuration with the Su-35.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan