Small Arms & Tactical Equipment

SIG 716i TREAD: First Look at SIG Sauer’s New DI Rifle in .308 Win

SIMILAR IN BUILD TO THE RECENT INDIAN ARMY CONTRACT-WINNING RIFLES, THE ALL-NEW SIG 716I TREAD IS A DIRECT-IMPINGEMENT VERSION OF ITS POPULAR 716 SERIES.

MARCH 2, 2020
By BALLISTIC STAFF
1583831168466.png

SIG Sauer is in a lot of headlines. Whether its ammo contracts or a new SIG MG 338 machine gun for the military or winning the 2019 Ballistic’s Best Reader’s Choice Awards for “Best Semi-Auto Rifle” and “Best Compact Semi-Auto Pistol” (casual plug), there’s always something new going on with SIG. So we get excited when we hear about something new coming down the SIG Sauer pike; and that’s exactly what we have today with the SIG 716i TREAD in .308 Winchester.

SIG 716i TREAD Details

Back in February 2019, SIG announced that it shipped 72,400 SIG716 rifles out to the Indian Army. The last of those rifles ship out later this month. Why is that important ? SIG told BallisticMag.com that the new 716i TREAD models have a similar build to that of the Indian Army contract rifles, hence the timing.

With its new aluminum-frame 716i TREAD, SIG defiantly steps into the .308 AR market. The new rifle is essentially a lightweight, direct-impingement version of SIG’s popular 716 series. It also features a precision 16-inch barrel and free-floating M-LOK handguard. Beyond that is an oversized ambidextrous mag release, charging handle, safety selector, and rear QD cups. The two-stage Matchlite Duo trigger and six-position adjustable stock round out a really nice package.

Overall, this is an intriguing .308 entry. The last part of the equation is MSRP. Currently, the MSRP is $1,429.99, but we expect a “street price” closer to $1,299.99. We’ll be looking to test one very soon. For more information, please visit SIGSauer.com.

SIG 716i TREAD Specs
  • Caliber: .308 Winchester
  • Barrel Length: 16 inches
  • Overall Length: 37 inches
  • Barrel Twist: 1:10 inches
  • Overall Height: 8 inches
  • Overall Width: 2.5 inches
  • Weight (with magazine): 8.5 pounds
  • Barrel Finish: Nitride
  • Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
  • Capacity: 20+1
  • MSRP: $1,429.99

SIG 716i TREAD: First Look at SIG Sauer's New DI Rifle in .308 Win

Yes,ak built in izmash are good,because they have perfected the art of making ak over the years ,good metallurgy along the forged and chrome
lined parts will ensure that the rifle last longer than the shooter.

In my humble opinion army does not think much of the infantry soldiers,else it would have not decided on a design which was adopted
in early 90s .Thirty year down the line you want the rifle in same configuration without any improvement barring the railed dust cover(not needed as per you) and flash hider .I call it a sham in name of modernization.In all these years there have not been a revolution in
small arms,however there has been a evolution none the less in materials,method,furniture,modularity,adaptability of small arms.Why
should we ignore all this and remain struck in the olden time.Modernization means "the process of adapting something to modern
needs or habits." Now how does AK 103 fits in 'modernization" in terms of feature,manufacturing process,design.I see a parallel in "nothing
wrong " with "sab chalta hai".If the Russian had followed the same approach of nothing wrong with it,they would have not traveled the
distance from AKM to AK 12.I refuse to be "content" ,as this leads to stagnation which adversely affect innovation.

The way Army has gone about its caliber selection,trials and small arms procurement in general does not reflect good on them,to be
blunt.Now I believe no organization,person is perfect ,all of us sometimes do good,sometimes make mistake.In my humble opinion as a aam
admi ,our small arms procurement,modernization is screwed,and we are not even finished yet.

Fun Fact : Many years back ,when in discussion with armed forces personal ,I used to argue on why don't we adopt ak as the standard
issue rifle,since it is cheap,reliable,simple and 7.62x39mm packs a punch,moreover it is a weapon which is loved and adored by them.This
idea was dismissed on ground of not being suitable for conventional infantry and war.After few years down the line and gaining more
knowledge on this subject,I still believe an ak is good rifle,however I think we could do much better both in terms of rifle and round.Maybe
if we would have gone for AK 103 in early 2000,It would have been good ,but in 2020 it does not seem the best option.

Similarly I used to argue on use of ballistic shield for house intervention in Kashmir,but was turned down each time.However ,few
years down the line they seem to have realized its benefit.Even though I still feel there is a room of improvement there.

I see a lot of utilization of a dump pouch,and I predict its use becoming more prevalent in our forces in coming time.

Now,I am just a student,enthusiast ,learner of small arms,tactics with opinion of things,who might get sometime right ,similarly wrong,but at
the same time I don't think armed forces are some holy grail,who can do no wrong,commit no mistake,take bad decisions or botch things up.As
a defence enthusiast ,it is my hobby and passion to analyze and build my opinion on things done.In my humble opinion plan of
procurement,method of procurement and end result of procurement in small arms is bad.

As per me , they should have first finalized on cartridge,based on their future requirement in power,range,energy,mass,weight,recoil,trajectory etc .They should have kept it to one rifle cartridge as a standard issue,or at max two.For eg a hybrid or polymer cased 7.62x51mm for all infantry,and 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 for rest.

Once they have finalized on cartridge ,they should have issued gsqr for the rifles,including all the requirements of a "modern" platform
.If we were opting for two caliber than we should have tried to standardize on a single platform for both the caliber.The gsqr should
have been framed in such a way to allow a wide variety of companies across the globe to participate.If a foreign design was selected then
all the 7.62 rifles should have been directly supplied by the manufacturer and the rest 6 mm cartridge rifles would have been
produced in India ,through TOT.

ALL the test,trials and final decision should have been done in a time bound manner within two years.

Now ,what the Indian army has done is, selected three rifle cartridge.Purchased 75,000 7.62x51mm rifles and 98,000 5.56x45mm ,that
too without any proper trials and from a few ,small group of manufacturers,Nominated 7.62x39mm ak for 7 lakh plus, without any
proper trials, competition,bidding of any kind.Now they intend to purchase more 5.56x45 rifles,that too with a completely new tender
,with high chances of a different rifle winning it.The argument given at the time of rifle change was ,a need to move away from 5.56x45 to
7.62x51mm which is a more powerful round.Fact ,out of all the rifles purchased,the 7.62x51mm ones are in the lowest numbers.

The issue you mention was solved probably 50 years ago. with the first
of AKM with side rails, So much so the side rails are the only mounts
that will always hold a zero even if the optic is removed and
remounted. Every AK built in Russia Poland, China, and Romania has
always come with side-mounted rail.

Actually side mount have been there ,much before the ak ,thanks to Germans :
stg 1.jpg

stg 2.jpg

I know about the side rails,yes they do hold zero and are all great and fine as you said,however :

7887863_01_ar_15_flir_thermal_combo__640.jpg

vs

ak thermal.jpg

1.Modern rifles,for eg P72 have monolithic rail,embedded within the receiver. You get ample,reliable real estate to simply mount any
optics,accessory of your choice,without bothering much.Now ,why should I bother with carrying around an additional mount for optics,that too
with limited real estate and compatibility with various optics available.

2.Side rail require additional investment,with each rifle you will have to issue a side mount along with it,good quality side mount does
not come cheap.So beside the rifle you will have to further invest in order to do basic things such as mounting optic.

3.What about reliability,and weight balance .A picatinny embedded in receiver ,on top of the bore is more reliable to usual wear and tear
and rough handling ,as well as have proper weight balance in contrast to adding a mount to one side of the rifle,with more chances of thing
getting wrong than a picatinny rail on the receiver.

4.Talking about weight,a light weight aluminum side rail mount weigh
7.3 oz = 206.952 grams

A tula FMJ 7.62x39mm weigh 122 grain = 7.9 gram

30 7.62x39mm bullet weight = 7.9x30 = 237 grams

So you can carry around additional 30 ,7.62x39mm bullets in place of the side mount which you need to carry ,just to mount optics.

smart optics 1.jpg

smart optics 2.jpg

6.Now I am sure ,you can easily mount red dot and other reflex sights,but what about when I have to mount a magnifier along with the
relex sight,will it handle the additional weight reliably.What about the various smart sights that are being developed and would be
developed in coming time.A stampede receiver flexes more than any type,how will it affect the sensitive optics is yet to be seen.What if
one wants to mount ir laser close to he center,will the side rail mount provide enough real estate.

ak side folder 1.jpg

7.Not having a buffer tube allow an ak stock to fold to the side,quite a useful feature when travelling in vehicles.The AK we are buying
does comes with a side folder stock,in AK 203 you can even fire the weapon with the stock folded,great convenience when fighting in a
confined place.But using a side rail mount disable this feature.

ak 12 7.jpg

8.Even if we assume that everything what I said is wrong,why did the Russians themselves abandoned the side mount rail for picatinny rail
on the receiver.Both the AK 203 and AK 12 feature railed top cover,I have seen the Russian GSQR and a railed dust cover which could
repeatedly hold zero was one of the main requirement mentioned in it.

ak side rail 1.jpg

9.In my personal opinion the side rail mount render a bad aesthetic to the rifle,it looks like a unwanted part clinging to the rifle,an after
thought than a well integrated,designed part of the rifle.It just looks bad to me,as far as appearance is concerned

An idea that one needs ToT for rifles is something we all need
to be ashamed of. Especially when the same nation boasts of building
rockets and ICBM's.

I feel India has the required brain,technology,manufacturing prowess to design and manufacture a good 21st century rifle .However the lack
planning ,intention and an atmosphere conductive to learning and nurturing of young talent .Mixed together with red
tape,lethargy,ineptness, corruption and risk aversion result in a big failure.In name of R&d ofb and ARDE have been designing and
manufacturing junk all these years ,but nobody seem to be bothered,nor are they held accountable for their lack of performance. It's not as
if there are no patriot,dreamer,passionate and hard working people in defense production who could really bring innovation,but the
environment is such that these people are easily sidelined and subdued by the ruling elite in these organizations.Non performance is a virtue
in these institutions .

astr rifle.jpg

Just look at this designs done by a small startup ,it has got all the basics of a modern design and features right,at least much better than
anything to come out of OFB and ARDE.

No one has stopped South block from doing so, we have been
running around in circles about Infantry rifles since 08, At this
point, I am ok with any proven new rifle.

As much as others,even the army has its fair share of blame for not being able to formulate and put down its requirements and needs,and a
definitive,time bound plan to achieve it.In contrast the US army is very well aware of what it wants,and how it wants.They have put down
all the requirements ,right to the t,even though a bit ambitious if realized ,it will revolutionize the small arms.This is what I call an
upgrade and having a futuristic oversight.

I don't know anything about SSS defence P72, Never seen it in
action, or seen any reviews on it or read any reports on competitive
testing and far far away from ever shooting it. I rarely comment on
small arms I haven't shot, so can tell if its any good. Why or why
not the company should be backed, again don't know much about it; if
it has strength in engineering and quality it will succeed, if not
then it will be another gun company that bites the dust as there have
been 100's in the US and around the world.

It's good for you ,however unlike you people in India does not have the privilege to experience different firearms up close.So,there will
be no discussion to begin with,if we follow this rule.The enthusiast here have to make do with theoretical knowledge as well impression
based upon second hand experiences to fuel our passion.

I am learner ,student of firearms.Most of my information is based on theory and impressions formed through first hand users whom I know,as
well as through users which I consider a credible source of information.I do not form my opinion based on one user experience but
when multiple reports point to certain direction it help to formulate my opinion on a firearm,if any.Even though I try to authenticate and
verify my info,still I can't ensure it is always right,however I think that fear of being wrong should not hold you from sharing things
fellow enthusiasts,as sharing is one of the best medium to learn.

For eg here is a line from my initial assessment of sss defence rifles,based on their photos :

8. Hand guard is too fat,it should be slimmed down.Also it
should have been a mlok design.

Now , as per Vlad onokoy who was present at at the expo,and has
physically inspected the rifles :

But without any doubt, the design of P-72 looks very promising
– with an adjustable stock which looks very similar to ACR, M-LOK
slots for Picatinny rails, ambidextrous safety/selector it certainly
follows all the latest trends in the small arms design.

[DEFEXPO 2020] New Series of Sniper and Assault Rifles from SSS Defense -

As per SSS defence Head

"we don't use Mlok in our systems." at 4:15.

Now Vladimir is a highly knowledgeable,experienced guy regarding small arms,I look up to him in this field.The only purpose of this,is to
show that sometimes ace like him,even with hands on experience can get it wrong.So,it's totally acceptable for novice like me to try and make
mistake ,then not to try at all.

My information on P72 is not more than yours,however the basic design is quite similar to scar,bren 2 and acr which are all established as
good design,similarly the adjustable stock for length,height ,monolithic aluminum machined upper and a lower,ambidextrous selector
lever,mag release and charging handle,side charging handle,cold hammer forged barrel,nitriding of internal parts are all good proven features
for modern rifles.You can easily get the general idea about ergonomics and features ,which for sure looks promising.What is left to be seen
is its performance in trials,its accuracy ,reliability,and general metallurgy.

I am not among those ,who will declare it the best rifle,just based on the photos and features or for the fact that it is made in India.But
to deny,that it does look promising will be unfair.How it fair in front of other modern rifles,only time and trials will tell,they have
done their job ,now it is duty of the government to provide them fair trials.

It is important to back such company ,because success of such company is related to success of small arms in our country,else don't be
surprise if even in 2050 we are looking for TOT from foreign countries in small arms.Government want India to become a manufacturing hub,this does not happen in vacuum,for it many factors should come in play.Supporting such startups is one of the factor for the success of brand made in India.Do you think samsung,xiamoi would become what they are today,without proper backing of their government.You will have to
support and nurtures your domestic companies at start for a healthy manufacturing and R&D ecosystem ,same was done by south korea ,China
and other countries. Of course all the heavy lifting would still be required to be done by the company,but the least government could do
is to offer them fair trials,and opportunity to improve their product through forces feedback,allow them firing ranges and easy supply of
ammo to carry out product development.And if their rifles ,do show some promise then show confidence in them by placing orders with
them,portioning them over foreign firms.If firms like SSS defence succeed ,if will be a success for R&d in India,for brand made in
India.Unlike America where there are tons of small and big small arms company ,technology,manufacturing setup and R&d is all ready well
placed,in India a firm like SSS defence are the only bright light in the gloom of non performing monopoly of OFB.So,unlike America where it
will be another company that bites dust,here failure of such company will discourage other to show courage and invest in this field,our
private small arms development and manufacturing will die in nascent stage,instead of becoming a global giant ,ready to take on others.This
will ensure that the monopoly of government agencies like OFB and Arde continues ,which will not be good for the development of small arms in this country.

1100 dollars is
including price of setting up infrastructure and tech transfer,not off
the shelf buy like sig for 1000.

I have done a post on the manufacturing facility earlier along with photos ,basically the factory,manufacturing facility was already
established at congress government time,it was done to manufacture modern carbines from TOT,once the winner of the tender was decided.

As usual the tender was cancelled due to red tape,but the factory building and modern ,state of the art machines imported from foreign
countries ,were none the less established.So,the manufacturing facility ,the machines and the building are already present.The
factory is equipped to manufacture any of the modern design,including an ar. Of course we might still import few machines from Russia,but
the basic infrastructure is already there.
factory 1.jpg

factory 2.jpg

factory 3.jpg

Regarding cost of TOT ,I don't know the details of the deal,how the money will be divided ,allotted between OFB and Kalashnikov from this
1200 dollar,so can't say right now,will try to study other deals having TOT.

Is there any difference
between ak103M standard used by marcos in valley and ak203 which we
are buying with standard butt stock like ak103

Replied.

• Informative
Reactions: GuardianRED
Thanks to Sourajit Dutta on Twitter, this is apparently a pic of the 716 during trials in India -

View attachment 14549

So it appears the 716s that we got are actually fitted with a full-length M-LOK handguard taken from the 716 TREAD (a recent addition to SIG's 2020 product catalog):

View attachment 14547
View attachment 14548

...now this handguard is intended for accommodating a Direct-Impingement gas system (716 TREAD is DI), I've looked closely and can't find anything to suggest the 716s in IA hands are SS piston-driven.

So this could imply that we actually ordered & got DI 716s, not pistons. I'll designate this unique Indian variant (TREAD handguard, DI, potentially full-auto capable, Magpul CTR stock instead of TREAD SL-K stock) as the 716i.

@Maximus @Milspec

It does seem that the rifle we got is SIG 716 tread,basically direct impingement, without adjustable gas block,budget version of 716.This explain the low price offered by the SIG.It is a common practice among companies to field their prototype variants in trials,much before they are actually launched in the market.The TREAD offered to us ,seem to be a similar case.Now ,I am yet to know other details of the rifle,but to talk about the main point of this rifle,direct impingement.

1.Recoil and weight are two primary factor for 7.62,a direct impingement has advantage in these two when compared to piston driven rifles.

2.In terms of reliability piston driven rifles are considered more reliable ,however if take into account the observation derived from Pakistan rifle trials it should not be a factor,particularly among the ar based rifles-sig 716 patrol:

The AR10-type weapon is inherently accurate especially when compared to other service rifles, but the design leaves it very susceptible to dirt and debris. Adding a piston system to the AR15/10/M4/M16 does not improve the reliability of the system in harsh environments due to design limitations.
General Staff Requirement (GSR) New Assault Rifle - Soldier Systems Daily

Now,my main points of contention with DI rifle are these :

1. Maintenance intensive - These will be maintenance intensive when compared to other rifles based on piston system.Fouling is a major issue,and you cannot circumvent it in DI based AR.this means it will require more thorough and frequent maintenance .Might not be a issue in day to day based operations,like CI but in case of full fledged ,high intensity war might cause problems.

2.Sensitivity to water - Piston based rifles,can be fired immediately after being submerged into the water,some even while being submerged in the water,however DI based ar is more sensitive to water,if you fire it without draining all the water ,then it will be prone to malfunction sometime catastrophic in nature.

I would have prefer a short stroke or even a long stroke rifle,for general infantry.Scar H,SIG mcx spear and XCR are few of the rifles I would have loved to see compete against sig 716.However ,our FTP process had limited our choice to very few.That too without any elaborate competitive trials.There was a reason HK416 come into being,although it is interesting to note that POF having witnessed the Pakistani trials( assumption) ,did opt for a DI,ar based rifle to design and produce in 7.62 nato. Would be interesting to know their reasons behind this decision.

P.S

As per Sandeep unnithan,army will soon issue RFI for more than 5 lAKH 7.62X51mm rifles.

I was thinking ,which rifle will be used for republic day parade AK 203,Sig 716 or some other rifle which they are going to acquire in future,further which rifle would qualify as the standard issue rifle.AK,sig or the new 7.62x51mm which army might acquire.

Meanwhile :

Some interesting developments :

• Rifle Factory Ishapore has been made the nodal factory for the development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle as per the latest requirement of Indian Army. ARDE has also been associated in this project. Accordingly, the work project is being carried out at this factory. 50 Nos. 7.62x51mm Assault Rifles with RFI design have already been assembled and test fired at RFI range with very much satisfactory result. As decided during 6th PMT meeting, 30 Nos. more Rifles to be manufactured afresh. These rifles are now under manufacturing. Simultaneously, components are also under manufacturing with ARDE Design.
  • Rifle Factory Ishapore successfully developed 5.56mm Assault Rifle/INSAS 1C. The Rifle has been appreciated by various Army as well as MHA units. RFI is now receiving orders for this weapon from various agencies under MHA.
  • Rifle Factory Ishapore has also developed 7.62mm Sniper Rifle. The Rifle is now under regular production as order for the same has also being received from agencies of MHA.
  • Moreover, initiatives have been taken for developing Rifles & Pistol through Transfer Of Technology (TOT) from foreign weapon manufacturers. In this process Expression Of Interest (EOI) has been floated for development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle, 7.62x39mm Assault Rifle, 8.6mm Sniper Rifle & 9mm Pistol. Recently, M/s IWI has carried out firing demonstration of their offered weapon of 7.62x51mm caliber as a part of foreign collaboration.
  • New IRD Project has been taken on CQB Carbine, under OFB sanction. Simultaneously manufacturing of components under progress. 02 Prototypes are almost ready.

Lightbox Example

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Parthu and m_itsme
Light-weight bulletproof jackets by TASL a cynosure

These jackets can not only stop a 7.62 mm AK-47 round but also heavier bullets fired from a 7.62mm Self-Loading Rifle (SLR) and the famed Dragunov sniper rifle.

By Author TelanganaToday | Published: 13th Mar 2020, 1:02 am
1584069693372.png

The light-weight bullet proof jackets made by TASL can stop six rounds each fired from the front and back, according to a company representative

Hyderabad: The light-weight bulletproof jackets manufactured by Tata Advanced Systems Limited are not only in demand from the army and central para-military forces but also from police forces in various States.

The company has already supplied similar jackets to the elite counter-terrorism wing – Organisation for Counter Terrorist Operations (OCTOPUS). Greyhounds, an anti-Maoists unit, also got the jackets from the same Bengaluru-based company which has set up a stall at the ongoing Wings India 2020 international exhibition and conference on civil aviation at the Begumpet Airport here.

“We worked closely with the Indian army and leveraged our extensive experience in the field of composites to develop lightweight jackets,” a company representative said.

These jackets can not only stop a 7.62 mm AK-47 round but also heavier bullets fired from a 7.62mm Self-Loading Rifle (SLR) and the famed Dragunov sniper rifle. This highly successful development and production programme resulted in the supply of more than three lakh jackets to the Indian defence and the State police forces.

These jackets can stop six rounds each fired from the front and back, he said. Each jacket is made up of composite material containing boron carbide and high performance polyethylene. The cost of the jacket would depend upon protection from the type of ammunition. A jacket that would stop bullets from AK-47, hard steel and mild steel core bullets, Insas rifle and SLR would cost around Rs 40,000.

“We have supplied jackets to the police in Telangana, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Jammu and Kashmir and Tamil Nadu,” he said.

The company has also developed another jacket to protect security personnel from sniper rounds along with ballistic spectacles and headgear. Each headgear can withstand 9 mm bullets fired from pistol, carbine and MP-5 submachine gun.

The representative said the company is only charging for the metal and other components used for making protective equipment and added that it has the capacity of manufacturing 10,000 jackets per month.

https://telanganatoday.com/light-weight-bulletproof-jackets-by-tasl-a-cynosure

Rifle Factory Ishapore has been made the nodal factory for the development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle as per the latest requirement of Indian Army. ARDE has also been associated in this project. Accordingly, the work project is being carried out at this factory. 50 Nos. 7.62x51mm Assault Rifles with RFI design have already been assembled and test fired at RFI range with very much satisfactory result. As decided during 6th PMT meeting, 30 Nos. more Rifles to be manufactured afresh. These rifles are now under manufacturing. Simultaneously, components are also under manufacturing with ARDE Design.
Very interesting. A 7.62N version of the MCIWS ?
Moreover, initiatives have been taken for developing Rifles & Pistol through Transfer Of Technology (TOT) from foreign weapon manufacturers. In this process Expression Of Interest (EOI) has been floated for development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle, 7.62x39mm Assault Rifle, 8.6mm Sniper Rifle & 9mm Pistol. Recently, M/s IWI has carried out firing demonstration of their offered weapon of 7.62x51mm caliber as a part of foreign collaboration.
Which weapon ? Tavor 7 ?

Some interesting developments :

• Rifle Factory Ishapore has been made the nodal factory for the development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle as per the latest requirement of Indian Army. ARDE has also been associated in this project. Accordingly, the work project is being carried out at this factory. 50 Nos. 7.62x51mm Assault Rifles with RFI design have already been assembled and test fired at RFI range with very much satisfactory result. As decided during 6th PMT meeting, 30 Nos. more Rifles to be manufactured afresh. These rifles are now under manufacturing. Simultaneously, components are also under manufacturing with ARDE Design.
  • Rifle Factory Ishapore successfully developed 5.56mm Assault Rifle/INSAS 1C. The Rifle has been appreciated by various Army as well as MHA units. RFI is now receiving orders for this weapon from various agencies under MHA.
  • Rifle Factory Ishapore has also developed 7.62mm Sniper Rifle. The Rifle is now under regular production as order for the same has also being received from agencies of MHA.
  • Moreover, initiatives have been taken for developing Rifles & Pistol through Transfer Of Technology (TOT) from foreign weapon manufacturers. In this process Expression Of Interest (EOI) has been floated for development of 7.62x51mm Assault Rifle, 7.62x39mm Assault Rifle, 8.6mm Sniper Rifle & 9mm Pistol. Recently, M/s IWI has carried out firing demonstration of their offered weapon of 7.62x51mm caliber as a part of foreign collaboration.
  • New IRD Project has been taken on CQB Carbine, under OFB sanction. Simultaneously manufacturing of components under progress. 02 Prototypes are almost ready.

Lightbox Example

How recently was this page updated?

These jackets can not only stop a 7.62 mm AK-47 round but also heavier bullets fired from a 7.62mm Self-Loading Rifle (SLR) and the famed Dragunov sniper rifle.
By Author TelanganaToday | Published: 13th Mar 2020, 1:02 am
View attachment 14745
The light-weight bullet proof jackets made by TASL can stop six rounds each fired from the front and back, according to a company representative

Hyderabad: The light-weight bulletproof jackets manufactured by Tata Advanced Systems Limited are not only in demand from the army and central para-military forces but also from police forces in various States.

The company has already supplied similar jackets to the elite counter-terrorism wing – Organisation for Counter Terrorist Operations (OCTOPUS). Greyhounds, an anti-Maoists unit, also got the jackets from the same Bengaluru-based company which has set up a stall at the ongoing Wings India 2020 international exhibition and conference on civil aviation at the Begumpet Airport here.

“We worked closely with the Indian army and leveraged our extensive experience in the field of composites to develop lightweight jackets,” a company representative said.

These jackets can not only stop a 7.62 mm AK-47 round but also heavier bullets fired from a 7.62mm Self-Loading Rifle (SLR) and the famed Dragunov sniper rifle. This highly successful development and production programme resulted in the supply of more than three lakh jackets to the Indian defence and the State police forces.

These jackets can stop six rounds each fired from the front and back, he said. Each jacket is made up of composite material containing boron carbide and high performance polyethylene. The cost of the jacket would depend upon protection from the type of ammunition. A jacket that would stop bullets from AK-47, hard steel and mild steel core bullets, Insas rifle and SLR would cost around Rs 40,000.

“We have supplied jackets to the police in Telangana, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Jammu and Kashmir and Tamil Nadu,” he said.

The company has also developed another jacket to protect security personnel from sniper rounds along with ballistic spectacles and headgear. Each headgear can withstand 9 mm bullets fired from pistol, carbine and MP-5 submachine gun.

The representative said the company is only charging for the metal and other components used for making protective equipment and added that it has the capacity of manufacturing 10,000 jackets per month.

Light-weight bulletproof jackets by TASL a cynosure

7.62 is an old thing,watch this BPJ ,capable of stopping a .50 BMG from a distance of roughly around 18 meter.I know the person would probably die from the energy transferred ,but imagine if it can stop a .50 cal from penetration at a small distance of 18m,how effective will it be against much small calibers like 5.56 and 7.62 ,not to forget that too from a distance of more than 50m.

Very interesting. A 7.62N version of the MCIWS ?

Yes,this is interesting ,because as per the information up till now,R2 rifle was developed by the OFB themselves ,without any involvement of ARDE or DRDO .Now is ARDE involved in further development of R2 or a 7.62x51mm MCIWS or a new design,is yet to be seen.I wish to see a completely new design.

Which weapon ? Tavor 7 ?

Most probably Galil ace,even though it could also be 7.62x51mm version of ARAD or CARMEL ,since companies do field their prototype versions for upcoming tenders. Tavor 7,does have certain advantage of offering 7.62x51mm in a compact package,however ,due to higher price I don't think they would prefer it over ace 52.Talking about ace 52 ,it is a good rifle ,however similar to ak ,venerability of top cover is an issue with it.

How recently was this page updated?

Last Updated : 07 March 2020
R & D Center | RIFLE FACTORY ISHAPORE | Government of India

Thinking about the caliber choice of Indian army even if we content with the choice of 7.62x51,39mm then one wonder why 5.56x45mm,wouldn't 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc have been a better choice for a third cartridge.

Here is a nice article about the cartridge choice for modern army ,the conclusion reached is similar that the best bet would be anything between 6-7mm :
The Small Arms Calibre Debate - Think Defence

I have always maintained that 7.62x51m is a good round,it is a beast under 500m .(most realistic range under which any worth while small arms engagement will occur ,unless it is a machine gun or sniper rifle ).Many years back,I had heard a veteran that in ambush they would hold their fire until ,the enemy was close enough,for them to tell the color of their eyes.(basically his way of saying that for the best outcome ,you should get as close to the enemy as possible,before engaging him. Ofcourse ,firefights do happen at a distance more than 500m ,but these are mostly aimed at harassing and suppression ,than any actual damage.

Bottom line is that even with best of optics,500m is enough range for practical accuracy in modern battlefield,imho.

multiple rifles.jpg

In this photo we have a 5.56x45mm AK 101,7.62x51mm g3,arx 200,galil ace 52 and 7.62x39mm type 56.Interestingly the ace 52 and arx 200 look much more compact and ergonomic than the other rifles,irrespective of their higher caliber. This is the beauty of advent in small arms design and technology,the new gen 7.62x51mm rifles are nothing like their heavy,long and cumbersome predecessors.

Talking about arx 200,a Belgium designer previously working with the FN was hired by Beretta for its development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gautam
Credit : Unknowncommando

In service, from LOC. TONBO Arjun-H Thermal Sight mounted on Team Wendy EXFIL Ballistic High Cut Helmet. This sight can be mounted on guns also. Helmets are procured with sight as a combo according to the Indian Army GSQR.
1584626244138.png

FIREARMS PUSH: India Orders >16,000 Israeli Negev Light Machineguns

By Shiv Aroor
Mar 19 2020; 7:44 pm

Photo: Meir Azulay / Via IsraelDefence

In the latest in a slew of infantry firearms purchases for the Indian Army, the Indian MoD today signed a $118 million deal with Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) for 16,479 NEGEV NG7 7.62mm light machineguns (LMG). The order is a little less than half of a total requirement for 40,000 LMGs. Today’s order is the single largest order for LMGs, and adds to smaller numbers of Negev 7.62x45mm LMGs already in service. The NG7 was introduced in 2012.

While it isn’t clear just yet, some of the Negevs could potentially be manufactured in Madhya Pradesh, India by a joint venture of the Adani Group and Israel’s IWI, though the MoD contract awarded today is to IWI alone.

In a statement today, the Indian MoD said, “The Indian Armed Forces’ long-standing requirement of a modern state-of-the-art Light Machine Gun (LMG) has finally fructified. The Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence has signed the capital acquisition contract with Israel Weapons Industries for procurement of 16,479 LMGs at a cost of Rs 880 crore with the approval of Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh. “

Today’s LMG contract comes a year after the Indian government contracted for over 72,000 SIG716 assault rifles (first pictures from deliveries here) from U.S. firm Sig Sauer Inc., and ahead of an expected contract for over 90,000 CAR816 battle carbines from UAE firm Caracal, and 650,000 AK-203 assault rifles from an Indo-Russian Make in India joint venture. The two latter contracts are expected to be signed this year. The LMG deal today is part of a concerted drive since 2016 to end piecemeal procurements of firearms, and give infantry units the basic weaponry they need. The LMG requirement has meandered for years. Deliveries of the new Negevs are expected from the end of this year.

Indian private firm Punj Lloyd, which forged a joint venture with IWI a few years ago, had intended to manufacture firearms like the X95, Ace, TAR-21 assault rifle and Negev LMG in country, though that never took off. In January this year, India’s Adani Group bought out Punj Lloyd’s 51% stake from a third party. While IWI will produce all or most of the weapons, the facility in Malanpur near Gwalior could potentially produce some of the LMGs for the Indian Army, with deliveries likely by late this year or early next.

The MoD’s statement said, “The contracted Negev 7.62X51 mm LMG is a combat proven weapon and currently used by several countries around the globe. This LMG will greatly enhance the lethality and range of a soldier vis-a-vis the presently used weapon. The provisioning of this operationally urgent and very critically needed weapon will boost the confidence of the frontline troops and provide much needed combat power to the Armed Forces.

IWI describes the Negev NG7 selected by India as the only LMG with a semi-automatic mode. In a 2015 interview to IsraelDefence, an engineer involved in the NG7’s development says, “The need arose from the field, from the scenarios of Afghanistan, where US troops were involved in fighting at ranges of hundreds of meters opposite enemy forces hiding behind rocks and boulders in mountainous terrain, and equally importantly – from the needs of the Older Forum and the scenarios in which Israeli troopers were involved over the last decades.”

The need arose from the field,” recounts Shay of IWI, the weapon engineer who was responsible for the development of the new machine gun, “from the scenarios of Afghanistan, where US troops were involved in fighting at ranges of hundreds of meters opposite enemy forces hiding behind rocks and boulders in mountainous terrain, and equally importantly – from the needs of the Older Forum and the scenarios in which Israeli troopers were involved over the last decades.

https://www.livefistdefence.com/202...rs-16000-israeli-negev-light-machineguns.html

Attachments

• yoni.jpg
    yoni.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: Maximus
Negev NG 7 seem like a good machine gun,it will be easier to shoot ,control,and lug around than other 7.62x51mm machine guns.Now caracal 816 and AK 203 is left,both good guns,however I wish SSS defence ,does get a chance to prove its products against these,before any final decision is made.
negev ng 7.jpg

Coming to machine guns,NG 7 is great but I feel we also need a GPMG,something between LMG and MMG, with more sustained fire capability and effective range. Sig new .338 machine gun or PKP pecheng would be good options.

We all know the transformation the Russian Special forces has gone through in last few years,something which is still in progress.To put
that in perspective :

Russian Special forces in Indra 2010 :
indra 2010 1.jpg

indra 2010 2.jpg

Russian special forces now :

sof 1.jpg

sof 2.jpg

sof 3.jpg

sof 4.jpg

sof 5.jpg

sof 6.jpg

sof 7.jpg

Negev NG 7 seem like a good machine gun,it will be easier to shoot ,control,and lug around than other 7.62x51mm machine guns.Now caracal 816 and AK 203 is left,both good guns,however I wish SSS defence ,does get a chance to prove its products against these,before any final decision is made.
View attachment 14910

Coming to machine guns,NG 7 is great but I feel we also need a GPMG,something between LMG and MMG, with more sustained fire capability and effective range. Sig new .338 machine gun or PKP pecheng would be good options.

We all know the transformation the Russian Special forces has gone through in last few years,something which is still in progress.To put
that in perspective :

Russian Special forces in Indra 2010 :
View attachment 14911

View attachment 14912

Russian special forces now :

View attachment 14913

View attachment 14914
View attachment 14915
View attachment 14916
View attachment 14917
View attachment 14918
View attachment 14919
Have our Para Special Forces undergone equivalent to such a transformation @Maximus