Sukhoi Su-30MKI

Outgunned By Pak F-16s, IAF Plans To Re-Arm Its Sukhois With Israeli Missiles

@randomradio ; @vstol Jockey

Excerpt from the article -

IAF sources told NDTV, ''The Astra is in development. We have ordered fifty (missiles) of the limited series production.'' Ultimately, though, the air force wants an extended-range variant of the missile. ''It will take ten years to get the Astra Mk2 in our inventory," say sources, a reason why integration of the I-Derby is being seen as a priority.

10 years to develop the Astra Mk2??
We have the seeker ready, we have the control dynamics validated by Astra-1, I do not agree with this time frame of 10yrs unless it refers to to the ramjet powered missile. We already have dual pulse tech developed within India.

We have the seeker ready, we have the control dynamics validated by Astra-1, I do not agree with this time frame of 10yrs unless it refers to to the ramjet powered missile. We already have dual pulse tech developed within India.

Longer range.. May be referring to SDFR .

IAF sources told NDTV, ''The Astra is in development. We have ordered fifty (missiles) of the limited series production.'' Ultimately, though, the air force wants an extended-range variant of the missile. ''It will take ten years to get the Astra Mk2 in our inventory," say sources, a reason why integration of the I-Derby is being seen as a priority.

Astra Mk2 with dual pulse motors will not take long. But Astra Mk2 with ramjet will take that long.

So it depends on which one they are referring to.

Sameer Joshi & Vishnu Som need a top story check. Former, for all his spurs as a M2K pilot, claimed no AWACS on station. Bull..... even the IAF is laughing at this evolving Ajai Shukla.

Next "PAF surprised IAF.." there you have it. A statement a la Ajai Shukla style. Aimed at creating a 'name'. I am yet to see any military planner plan an air raid and NOT expect a retaliation.

As for Astra - range is lower than AMRAAM. What a retard logic.

If I remember correct, from a drdo doc , Astra mk2 is intended to break cover by 2022 , first flight. Possibly even before that.

• Informative
Reactions: TARGET
If I remember correct, from a drdo doc , Astra mk2 will break cover by 2022 , first flight. Possibly even before that.
Yes this is what I also believe. The present model has borrowed from R-77 and has long chord wings, These create a lot of drag and result in reduction of range by faster degradation of speed. The Mk2 version has shorter wings and that will not only help it reduce drag but with dual pulse motor, increase its range by over 100% compared to present design. It might be a bit faster also as a result.

Reactions: hellbent
We must Thank Masood Azhar for Pulwama

Otherwise we would have Never known
About our Weaknesses and PAF tactics

There was nothing strange about what the PAF did there. The only difference is the IAF was caught napping because they were chasing behind the smoke called MMRCA instead of upgrading the MKI itself in phased manner. The IAF should have upgraded 50 MKIs with Irbis-E and 117S and inducted them from 2015-17, along with 200-300 RVV-SD, which the Russians offered years ago.

Hell, just buying the RVV-SD was more than enough, forget the MKI upgrade. This missile is equivalent to the Aim-120C7 and has a 35% greater range than the RVV-AE. It's basically the IAF bungling due to lack of a Plan B. Now there's a new missile available called the K-77M, it has a range of 200+Km with a digital AESA seeker and dual pulse motors, basically what the Astra Mk2 is supposed to be. So I hope the IAF bites into this one quickly. Right now the MKI is a very good aircraft flying with a blunt weapon. That "I-Derby on MKI" circus will take years to happen. Rather start with a stopgap numbers of RVV-SD and then go for the K-77M in sufficient numbers, at least 500.

This is what I'm talking about @Falcon. Any large fleet purchase should have a 10-15 year upgrade cycle. Even the Pakistanis are doing it with the JF-17. At least the army had the sense to buy the T-90MS.

There was nothing strange about what the PAF did there. The only difference is the IAF was caught napping because they were chasing behind the smoke called MMRCA instead of upgrading the MKI itself in phased manner. The IAF should have upgraded 50 MKIs with Irbis-E and 117S and inducted them from 2015-17, along with 200-300 RVV-SD, which the Russians offered years ago.

Hell, just buying the RVV-SD was more than enough, forget the MKI upgrade. This missile is equivalent to the Aim-120C7 and has a 35% greater range than the RVV-AE. It's basically the IAF bungling due to lack of a Plan B. Now there's a new missile available called the K-77M, it has a range of 200+Km with a digital AESA seeker and dual pulse motors, basically what the Astra Mk2 is supposed to be. So I hope the IAF bites into this one quickly. Right now the MKI is a very good aircraft flying with a blunt weapon. That "I-Derby on MKI" circus will take years to happen. Rather start with a stopgap numbers of RVV-SD and then go for the K-77M in sufficient numbers, at least 500.

This is what I'm talking about @Falcon. Any large fleet purchase should have a 10-15 year upgrade cycle. Even the Pakistanis are doing it with the JF-17. At least the army had the sense to buy the T-90MS.

Su 30 mki had issues with radar frequency being leaked or so...
Aashish was saying that....

But as u have said our upgrade schedule is always very late.

Jaguar / mirage 2000 are also late, taking it closer to end of its life.

But as u have said our upgrade schedule is always very late.

Jaguar / mirage 2000 are also late, taking it closer to end of its life.

Those are MLUs. I'm talking about buying a new batch of jets, but with modernised avionics. Like what the French and Chinese do.

We bought 50 jets, followed by a contract for 140, with an option for 40 more. That took us to 230. But we got a new contract for 42 jets with the same configuration, this contract should have been for a more advanced version. But IAF decided to put all their hopes on FGFA and MMRCA deal instead and ended up with neither.

Look at the Chinese. They started their J-11 program just a few years before us, released their first major modernisation just 12 years later called J-11B, and are now releasing their next modernisation with AESA radar called J-11D. It's even better with J-10. They got the first one out in 2005, released a modernised one with PESA in 2014 made 50 of these, and immediately came out with an AESA variant in 2016.

Remember the original dates for MMRCA and FGFA? The IAF thought they will get the first MMRCA squadron in 2015 and the first FGFA squadron in 2017.

Otoh, the Russians released a slightly modernised configuration of the Su-30MKI than ours called Su-30SM in 2016 and are now talking about modernising the aircraft with the Irbis-E and 117S. Instead had the IAF gone for 40-60 jets with this configuration along with the Russians participating with a 40-60 jet contract of their own while the Su-35 was being developed, we would have had these jets flying by now.

Those are MLUs. I'm talking about buying a new batch of jets, but with modernised avionics. Like what the French and Chinese do.

We bought 50 jets, followed by a contract for 140, with an option for 40 more. That took us to 230. But we got a new contract for 42 jets with the same configuration, this contract should have been for a more advanced version. But IAF decided to put all their hopes on FGFA and MMRCA deal instead and ended up with neither.

Look at the Chinese. They started their J-11 program just a few years before us, released their first major modernisation just 12 years later called J-11B, and are now releasing their next modernisation with AESA radar called J-11D. It's even better with J-10. They got the first one out in 2005, released a modernised one with PESA in 2014 made 50 of these, and immediately came out with an AESA variant in 2016.

Remember the original dates for MMRCA and FGFA? The IAF thought they will get the first MMRCA squadron in 2015 and the first FGFA squadron in 2017.

Otoh, the Russians released a slightly modernised configuration of the Su-30MKI than ours called Su-30SM in 2016 and are now talking about modernising the aircraft with the Irbis-E and 117S. Instead had the IAF gone for 40-60 jets with this configuration along with the Russians participating with a 40-60 jet contract of their own while the Su-35 was being developed, we would have had these jets flying by now.

So now we should not expect Any Revenge
For Feb 27 , Till IAF sorts out its issues with Su 30 and R77

And we civilians were jumping with Joy after Gaganshakti exercises , where we were told
PAF will be finished in 72 hours

We need our own AAM's that have longer range, this kind of defeat should act as a catalyst for IAF, PAF is jumping on PLAAF shoulders, we need Long range AAM's to terrify these PAF jokers, D.pk is all lit up with idiots rejoicing their showdy victory....

So now we should not expect Any Revenge
For Feb 27 , Till IAF sorts out its issues with Su 30 and R77

And we civilians were jumping with Joy after Gaganshakti exercises , where we were told
PAF will be finished in 72 hours

Those are two different things. When we are making aggressive manoeuvres, we are not necessarily constrained by the lack of extra range on the R-77.

What the PAF have apparently done is fire off their missiles at longer range than we can so that we are occupied with dodging. So their plan was to infiltrate, blow up some of their targets and return before the MKIs can retaliate. Now, this is just one mission where they managed to distract the MKIs.

But in an all-out war, we would be running so many missions that the PAF wouldn't be able to fly effectively in their own airspace, let alone do what they did post Balakot. During Gaganshakti, in 3 days we made more sorties than we did during the entire 1971 war in the Western Front and this wasn't even at our full strength.

As for what the PAF did post Balakot, they had all the advantages and they still failed. And on top of that they lost one of their best jets, with probably some of their best pilots. They came into our airspace on their terms (which is not difficult) and left on our terms. People always forget that the fight ended in their airspace, not ours. So even in their best condition they failed.

I wouldn't worry about the PAF when it comes to all-out war. And Gaganshakti demonstrated that very well.

What I'm not happy about is that since we are not at optimum strength in terms of squadron numbers, we need to do what we can to increase the capability of the jets we already have. But the IAF has failed to do that when it comes to the MKI.