MWF specifications

Longer than Tejas Mk1 by 1.4 m,

Wing Span 0.3 m larger than Tejas Mk1

Height 0.46 m more than Tejas Mk1

MTOW- 17,500 kgs. i.e. 4,000 kgs more than Tejas Mk1

Empty Weight- 7,850 kgs i.e approx 1250 kgs more than Tejas Mk1

1581157095331.png

Reactions: Ashwin
Check out the TWR of this with Mk1 and you will agree to what I had written long long back. MK2 will come out to be worst than MK1.

Wasn't this expected from the very beginning? And that the closed coupled canards are expected to reduce the need for an equivalent increase in thrust compared to Mk1. The same story with Gripen E.

A sacrifice was expected in exchange for extra fuel. Anyway, at 50% fuel, the TWR is 1.05 and should give 1 hour on station. Mk1 doesn't do this even with full fuel.

May I ask you a simple thing. The folks who do well in exam, who join likes Microsoft etc or those who skip their branches and join IT companies, if you put them in R&D will they produce better results?
Is this a fact or merely assumption?

Research as much as I have seen is not a game of smarts but a game of persistence.
A smart guy will definitely produce better results, no questions about that. Doing well in exams does not mean the person is smart. I have interviewed enough IITians with 9+ CGPA who can’t answer basics of engineering or solve a problem. Again neither I would support the folks who skip their branches nor I would blame them. The opportunity for people to pursue their own field of expertise is extremely limited in India and that is the reason they end up joining high paying IT jobs or move to management sector.
R & D is a quite generic term and not one rule can fit all. I can’t comment about sectors like material science or mechanical engineering. But when it comes to electronics, speed is the key. Whether digital design or analog, both need faster execution with predictable results. For that you need a bunch of smart guys with high level of motivation and good execution plan.
I don’t want to sound rude, but I would choose one smart engineer over ten average guys irrespective of how hard working they are. I manage projects across the globe including India and my opinion is based on first hand experience.

Reactions: Vicky and Ashwin
A smart guy will definitely produce better results, no questions about that. Doing well in exams does not mean the person is smart. I have interviewed enough IITians with 9+ CGPA who can’t answer basics of engineering or solve a problem. Again neither I would support the folks who skip their branches nor I would blame them. The opportunity for people to pursue their own field of expertise is extremely limited in India and that is the reason they end up joining high paying IT jobs or move to management sector.
R & D is a quite generic term and not one rule can fit all. I can’t comment about sectors like material science or mechanical engineering. But when it comes to electronics, speed is the key. Whether digital design or analog, both need faster execution with predictable results. For that you need a bunch of smart guys with high level of motivation and good execution plan.
I don’t want to sound rude, but I would choose one smart engineer over ten average guys irrespective of how hard working they are. I manage projects across the globe including India and my opinion is based on first hand experience.

Sir in India whatever DRDO , ISRO and Atomic Energy Department have
Achieved , it is because of Average guys

Completely wrong. China received a lot of Western tech in the 70s and the 80s, until Tiananmen Square massacre. Their diesel-electric submarine uses AIP tech acquired from Sweden. Their WS-10 engine is based on CFM-56 from the US. They also received ToT from Britain for Spey 202 engines. Their ships use German licensed engines, not their own engines, even today. They received a lot of help from Northrop Grumman when it came to designing aircraft, including J-10 and JF-17, not to mention Israeli help. The Israelis helped them develop the KJ-2000 as well. And the Israelis also transferred Lavi radar tech for the J-10, apart from software required to design aircraft. It is still unknown how much technology the Israelis have transferred during the military sanctions on China. It's actually the Israelis who are the main culprits when it comes to ToT of western technology to China. This was supported by reverse engineering every piece of hardware they got from the Soviets before 1969 and later from Russia. So everything they have today is a product of extensive tech transfer from the West from 1975 to 1989 (after they opened up their economy) followed by tech transfer of high end technologies from ex-USSR states and absorption of ex-Soviet scientists after 1991, all built on a foundation of reverse engineering. And all of this was supported on a much larger defence budget than India's.

Otoh, we developed everything we have ourselves, even though some of our older tech has been inspired from existing tech and we have received foreign assistance in many places, the base technologies itself are our own. We have been a perpetually technology denied nation because of the West's and Russia's bad experience with China. Everything we have is pretty much unique and Indian.

So, no, you have no clue what you are talking about.

What I'm talking about is the West completed their 9 second dash in 1995 and India did the same 9 second dash in 2015. The Chinese did it in 2005. The Chinese trained for this in Western training camps while India did it in Indian camps.

So we don't have missiles, rockets, SSBN, ships, carrier, battle tank, fighter jet etc. I guess everything is CGI and photoshopped. Good to know.
You can give a million reasons to justify why China achieved all these and another million reasons why we are lagging behind by decades. It does not change a thing !!
I would love to see India excel in every damn field but it’s not going to happen if the whole system does not change. To solve a problem, you first need to acknowledge the it.
Else you can continue to celebrate your list of achievements and by 2030 you might be able to add Tejas MK-1 as well!!

Sir in India whatever DRDO , ISRO and Atomic Energy Department have
Achieved , it is because of Average guys
They could have achieved much more if they cared to retain the high performers. I know an extremely smart engineer who started his career at BARC. Got frustrated with the internal politics and moved to US for PhD and now he is a well known scientist with Los Alamos National laboratory. There are thousands of such stories. It’s high time India acknowledges the problem of brain drain and try to solve it.

Last edited:
They could have achieved much more if they cared to retain the high performers. I know an extremely smart engineer who started his career at BARC. Got frustrated with the internal politics and moved to US for PhD and now he is a well known scientist with Los Alamos National laboratory. There are thousands of such stories. It’s high time India acknowledges the problem of brain drain and try to solve it.

Sir , whatever you have written in absolutely true But unfortunately we can
Only reform this system incrementally

And Finances will always be the most important aspect of R and D

So all we can do is increase Salaries and increase Annual outlays for Research

But the internal Language and Caste politics of Any Organization cannot be removed immediately

Brain drain will keep happening

However the Indian Private Sector also Does NOT invest much in internal and domestic R and D

Bottomline considerations and Cutting Costs are their main driving forces

Sir , whatever you have written in absolutely true But unfortunately we can
Only reform this system incrementally

And Finances will always be the most important aspect of R and D

So all we can do is increase Salaries and increase Annual outlays for Research

But the internal Language and Caste politics of Any Organization cannot be removed immediately

Brain drain will keep happening

However the Indian Private Sector also Does NOT invest much in internal and domestic R and D

Bottomline considerations and Cutting Costs are their main driving forces
You are right. I blame companies like Wipro and Infosys for killing the R&D culture in India. They are the first ones to benefit from the services model which provides quick return with minimal risk. Now no company is willing to spend on R&D.

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
You are right. I blame companies like Wipro and Infosys for killing the R&D culture in India. They are the first ones to benefit from the services model which provides quick return with minimal risk. Now no company is willing to spend on R&D.

In India things are very complex

Govt has to take care of a Million things
So obviously they can spend a limited amount

But at the same time , The increase in Cost of living for Individuals also makes them Seek greener pastures

You can give a million reasons to justify why China achieved all these and another million reasons why we are lagging behind by decades. It does not change a thing !!
I would love to see India excel in every damn field but it’s not going to happen if the whole system does not change. To solve a problem, you first need to acknowledge the it.
Else you can continue to celebrate your list of achievements and by 2030 you might be able to add Tejas MK-1 as well!!

We are financially lagging behind the Chinese by a decade or more, but technologically, not so much.

In some areas we are ahead, like nuclear technology. And there are some areas where we are behind, like human spaceflight.

One of the biggest reasons why "you" think we are "technologically behind" is because DRDO made a major rule change a decade back, saying they won't talk about a specific piece of technology until it's ready to hit the testing phase, sometimes not even then. So mum's the word.

The difference is in some areas, the Chinese have started testing a lot before us because they have much greater financial might, so are able to start some types of projects long before we can, the biggest reason why they are ahead of us in human spaceflight. For example, the yearly Chinese space budget is equal to our total expenditure on space since ISRO's inception in the 70s.

As a market, China is 20 years ahead, and their overall security budget is 6 to 7 times ours. The fact that we have more or less kept up regardless is good enough.

Also, unlike the Chinese military, our military demands indigenous products to be as good or better than existing Western and Russian systems. For example, the army's major demand for QRSAM was to be superior to all existing western systems on offer, which has been achieved, including a 100 percent kill probablity. The air force is demanding DRDO to make AWACS-India as good or better than Phalcon. Some of the new specifications for new programs are even higher than what the western nations themselves have achieved. For example, the army wants the FRCV to be amphibious and also invisible to the eyes, while carrying a hard-kill APS that does not exist. Let's also not forget about the latest DRDO artillery gun that outshoots any other gun in the world. So DRDO is constantly working with higher specs than what the Chinese military themselves want.

Rather you can say that most systems that the Chinese induct wouldn't even clear paper evaluations in India, never mind going through to the next round. So this talk about them being technologically "ahead" is a non-starter, the Chinese standards are simply lower.

• Agree
Reactions: Golden_Rule
We are financially lagging behind the Chinese by a decade or more, but technologically, not so much.

In some areas we are ahead, like nuclear technology. And there are some areas where we are behind, like human spaceflight.

One of the biggest reasons why "you" think we are "technologically behind" is because DRDO made a major rule change a decade back, saying they won't talk about a specific piece of technology until it's ready to hit the testing phase, sometimes not even then. So mum's the word.

The difference is in some areas, the Chinese have started testing a lot before us because they have much greater financial might, so are able to start some types of projects long before we can, the biggest reason why they are ahead of us in human spaceflight. For example, the yearly Chinese space budget is equal to our total expenditure on space since ISRO's inception in the 70s.

As a market, China is 20 years ahead, and their overall security budget is 6 to 7 times ours. The fact that we have more or less kept up regardless is good enough.

Also, unlike the Chinese military, our military demands indigenous products to be as good or better than existing Western and Russian systems. For example, the army's major demand for QRSAM was to be superior to all existing western systems on offer, which has been achieved, including a 100 percent kill probablity. The air force is demanding DRDO to make AWACS-India as good or better than Phalcon. Some of the new specifications for new programs are even higher than what the western nations themselves have achieved. For example, the army wants the FRCV to be amphibious and also invisible to the eyes, while carrying a hard-kill APS that does not exist. Let's also not forget about the latest DRDO artillery gun that outshoots any other gun in the world. So DRDO is constantly working with higher specs than what the Chinese military themselves want.

Rather you can say that most systems that the Chinese induct wouldn't even clear paper evaluations in India, never mind going through to the next round. So this talk about them being technologically "ahead" is a non-starter, the Chinese standards are simply lower.

Let the Chinese have Democracy and Human Rights and see how they collapse
In TEN YEARS

Even though they are a Homogeneous society called. HANS

While we have been somehow dragging and pulling ourselves because of Democracy

We cannot get sad over where we stand
Simply because in the last 10 years we have made substantial progress

So we can be optimistic about where we will be in 2030

And above all the US - China rivalry will also help us

Let the Chinese have Democracy and Human Rights and see how they collapse
In TEN YEARS

Even though they are a Homogeneous society called. HANS

While we have been somehow dragging and pulling ourselves because of Democracy

We cannot get sad over where we stand
Simply because in the last 10 years we have made substantial progress

So we can be optimistic about where we will be in 2030

And above all the US - China rivalry will also help us

I don't think the type of a govt is a problem when it comes to nuclear, space and military technology. Look at Germany post WW1 or Russia during WW2.

Money is the most important aspect, and if you really want to compare, look at what the Chinese had achieved back when they were a $3T economy versus what India has achieved as a $3T economy today. India is already making world beating products.

In India things are very complex

Govt has to take care of a Million things
So obviously they can spend a limited amount

But at the same time , The increase in Cost of living for Individuals also makes them Seek greener pastures
Not everything has to be done by government. But it can enable the private sector to invest in R&D. At the same time private sector should develop some appetite for risk as well. We can loose billions for people like Mallya and Modi, but can’t pay our top scientists and engineers?? Doesn’t sound very convincing.
Forget about high salary, if government can improve the work culture and enforce accountability in research labs, attrition will be down by at least 50%.

Reactions: Nikhil
Do we have the distributed missile and laser warning systems like Gripen or only available at the tail section of Tejas MK2?

Missile warning approach system.jpg

Do we have the distributed missile and laser warning systems like Gripen or only available at the tail section of Tejas MK2?

View attachment 14430

The goal for MWF is 360 degree warning, so yes.

Specwise, almost everything you can think off for Gripen E, the MWF will be either equal or a step ahead, not lower. The project goal itself is to be superior to the Gripen E.

https://www.vayuaerospace.in/article/458/combat-aircraft-programmes-at-ada

The Tejas Mk.II for the Air Force was initially planned to have a higher thrust engine. However, in its new configuration it is no more a light combat aircraft but a Medium Weight Fighter (MWF). This evolution of the MWF began with the IAF projecting a platform to replace the Mirage 2000, Jaguar and MiG-29 in the 2030s. The IAF wanted a multi-role fighter with improved range, endurance, lethality and increased payload carrying capacity. Based on these requirements, configuration optimisation studies were initiated by ADA in November 2016, a configuration with improved performance and increased internal fuel has this evolved. Subsequently, the IAF also indicated their requirement for integrating heavier standoff weapons. The final configuration was agreed to in September 2018 to meet these capabilities.

1585435745331.png

The Mk.II (MWF) will be state-of-the-art multi role supersonic fighter aircraft with delta wing and close coupled canard, having an enhanced payload capability of 6.5 tons with max all up weight of 17500 kg. The MWF will have 11 hard points and is integrated with advanced avionics system and sensors including an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Integral Unified Electronic Warfare Suite (UEWS), Missile Approach Warning System (MAWS) and Infrared Search & Track (IRST) System. Its range and endurance is enhanced by On-Board Oxygen Generation System (OBOGS) and Inflight Refuelling Probe (IFRP). The cockpit will have larger size, smart Large Area Display (LAD) and smart Head Up Display (HUD) to provide enhanced situational awareness.
1585435745448.png

Preliminary design of the MWF is at the final stages of completion and detail design activities are to begin from March 2020. The procurement of raw material and LRUs has been initiated and development activities towards new LRUs initiated. The engineering cockpit simulator of the MWF was on display at Defexpo 2020, with a Large Area Display (LAD), sleek Head Up Display (HUD) and side control stick.