Ukraine - Russia Conflict

The Russians have veto power. We don't.

India uses Russia to balance relations with the West. And the West knows this very well, hence the desperate need to separate India from Russia so that India can be bullied later on. Plus the ridiculous notion that India will make enemies of an erstwhile superpower and a defacto nuclear power simply because we share an independent media with the West.

India doesn't see Russia as a political, economic or military competitor and vice versa, but the West does. So Russia's not our problem, it's yours.
People increasingly ignore Russia's veto power, because they are usually the criminals being voted against.

We don't bully India. We criticise, that is all. It's amazing you can't see the parallels between the Donbass and Russian meddling, and J&K and Pak meddling.

The Russian economy has never been competitive, if it was Putin wouldn't be doing things like this to try and maintain control of European oil supplies.

No. Ever since 1969, the Russians and Chinese have become enemies. Even after the Cold War, Russian and Chinese relations have been politically strained. It's why Russia-India relations have flourished. Both countries are using each other to contain China. And so far, it's worked. China is the reason why Russia pulled India into the SCO. Russia also allows Indian involvement in the CAR because of China. So the mutual benefits obtained from our relations have been far deeper than what the US and UK have offered to date.

Russia-China rivalry will continue. The Russians will simply dangle an oil discount carrot in front of China, as they have done with India, and this will give Russia plenty of leverage over China. The Chinese are not gonna rock the boat when they have their own work cut out for them.

Basically, India today needs Russia to contain China, contain Pakistan, provide veto support and provide access to the CAR, all for the cost of a few weapons and some barrels of oil. We benefit every which way in this relationship. The West is gonna have to get used to this.
That was over the Brezhnez Doctrine, that is long forgotten between the two. They don't hold on to 50 year-old disagreements like some people I know.

China can afford oil, it does not need a discount. They'll take it sure, until it becomes a problem, then they'll drop it.

China is a bigger Russian trading partner than India and they have more in common, plus they're next door neighbours.

Yeah, you get weapons that apparently don't work very well, a precarious alliance, plus some associated stigma.

• Haha
Reactions: _Anonymous_
China doesn't have the kind of leverage like Europe does. China, like India, pays the "Asian Premium" for OPEC oil, meaning we pay more for oil than the West does. In fact, Western purchases are subsidised by higher Asian purchases. So the Chinese cannot replace Russian oil for the same price, even more so with a 35+% discount. Plus China needs massive gas supplies without further overburdening their already overburdened ports, hence the need for piped gas from Russia.

Basically, remove the Middle East and Africa from China's replacement suppliers, and you will get the answer. While Europe can replace Russian oil with the help of US, ME and Africa, the Chinese cannot do the same.

It's also why Japan doesn't want to give up its oil businesses in Russia.

If China backs away from Russian oil, the oil prices will go through the roof and murder their own economy. India will step in to replace some of that lost oil due to the pressure on our own economy. Europe and everybody else will have to suffer high oil prices too. This is just common sense.

China is simply stuck with Russia.
You haven't noticed China making inroads in Africa and the Middle East. In 20-30 years time, nobody will give much of a damn about oil anyway.

Oil is traded on the open market, so that premium sounds like a hoax to me. Probably more to do with transportation costs and other factors. Europe (Brent) has a different price to the US (WTI) too. Probably a lot of factors involved.

China's economy is far more robust than that. You don't go from 8% growth to zero just because of a change in oil prices. Unless you're an oil and gas export economy that is. :ROFLMAO:

Somehow reading Paddy out here doesn't make me miss Punch or any other satirical magazine . The best part about Paddy here is he doesn't even try to write satire . He's writing what he thinks are his informed views. That it comes out as ROFL satire is where his gift & natural talent lies.

I propose Paddy be declared a Strat Front Treasure on the lines of National Treasure in the UK .

@BMD

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate

National interest first, buying discounted Russian crude: FM Nirmala Sitharaman​

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday confirmed that India has procured discounted crude oil from Russia, worth 3-4 days of the country’s oil requirements, despite criticism from the US that trade with Moscow would help fuel the Ukraine invasion.

“We have started buying (oil from Russia). We have received quite a number of barrels. I would think about 3-4 days of supply, and this will continue. India’s overall interest is what is kept in mind,” Sitharaman said on Friday, adding both she and Foreign Minister S Jaishankar had explained India’s position clearly at multiple fora.”I would put my country’s national interest first, and I would put my energy security first. If there is fuel available and available at a discount, why shouldn’t I buy it? I need it for my people, so we have already started purchasing,” she said at India Business Leader Awards, organised by CNBC-TV18.

US Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo has said reports that India setting up a payment system to procure Russian crude oil were “deeply disappointing”. The White House has, however, previously clarified that a move by India to procure discounted crude oil from Russia would not be a violation of US sanctions on Moscow.

India has been offered discounts as high as $35 per barrel on crude oil prices before the start of the conflict by Russia, according to officials. Sitharaman’s comments come amid a two-day visit by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Four days of India’s crude oil imports would equate to about 2.1 million metric tonnes or about 16.1 million barrels of crude oil based on India’s crude oil imports in FY2021. India imports about 85 per cent of its crude oil requirements but only about 3 per cent of crude oil imports are ordinarily sourced from Russia.

The US and Canada have banned all imports of Russian crude oil and the UK has announced that it will phase out crude oil purchases from Russia by the end of the year. Russian cargoes of crude oil have been struggling to find buyers as many major firms are avoiding purchasing Russian crude over concerns of reputational damage.

The price of Brent crude has risen sharply this year, even hitting a 14-year peak of $139 per barrel in early March over concerns of an import ban on Russian crude oil by EU countries.

The price of Brent crude on Friday was about $105.3 per barrel, up about 35 per cent from $77.8 per barrel at the beginning of the year, and about $10 per barrel higher than the price of Brent crude prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Indian refiners had temporarily halted new purchases of Russian flagship Urals crude after Russia announced a “special military operation in Ukraine” but resumed purchases in March.

• Informative
Reactions: Ironhide and BMD
1648893841610.png

National interest first, buying discounted Russian crude: FM Nirmala Sitharaman​

Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday confirmed that India has procured discounted crude oil from Russia, worth 3-4 days of the country’s oil requirements, despite criticism from the US that trade with Moscow would help fuel the Ukraine invasion.

“We have started buying (oil from Russia). We have received quite a number of barrels. I would think about 3-4 days of supply, and this will continue. India’s overall interest is what is kept in mind,” Sitharaman said on Friday, adding both she and Foreign Minister S Jaishankar had explained India’s position clearly at multiple fora.”I would put my country’s national interest first, and I would put my energy security first. If there is fuel available and available at a discount, why shouldn’t I buy it? I need it for my people, so we have already started purchasing,” she said at India Business Leader Awards, organised by CNBC-TV18.

US Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo has said reports that India setting up a payment system to procure Russian crude oil were “deeply disappointing”. The White House has, however, previously clarified that a move by India to procure discounted crude oil from Russia would not be a violation of US sanctions on Moscow.

India has been offered discounts as high as $35 per barrel on crude oil prices before the start of the conflict by Russia, according to officials. Sitharaman’s comments come amid a two-day visit by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Four days of India’s crude oil imports would equate to about 2.1 million metric tonnes or about 16.1 million barrels of crude oil based on India’s crude oil imports in FY2021. India imports about 85 per cent of its crude oil requirements but only about 3 per cent of crude oil imports are ordinarily sourced from Russia.

The US and Canada have banned all imports of Russian crude oil and the UK has announced that it will phase out crude oil purchases from Russia by the end of the year. Russian cargoes of crude oil have been struggling to find buyers as many major firms are avoiding purchasing Russian crude over concerns of reputational damage.

The price of Brent crude has risen sharply this year, even hitting a 14-year peak of $139 per barrel in early March over concerns of an import ban on Russian crude oil by EU countries.

The price of Brent crude on Friday was about $105.3 per barrel, up about 35 per cent from $77.8 per barrel at the beginning of the year, and about $10 per barrel higher than the price of Brent crude prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Indian refiners had temporarily halted new purchases of Russian flagship Urals crude after Russia announced a “special military operation in Ukraine” but resumed purchases in March.
Wow, $35/bbl off. Russia is struggling.

That's only for select countries like India , Paddy. Germany gets to subsidize Indian purchases here .

As far as UK goes , I suppose the price would be the highest but just a couple of dollars / euros lesser than US shale or gas or that exported from the ME to make it lucrative plus you get to pay exclusively in roubles plus Putin would love to shaft you applying extra hot chili sauce as a bonus.

I imagine nothing would please the Brits more.

• Haha
People increasingly ignore Russia's veto power, because they are usually the criminals being voted against.

We don't bully India. We criticise, that is all. It's amazing you can't see the parallels between the Donbass and Russian meddling, and J&K and Pak meddling.

The Russian economy has never been competitive, if it was Putin wouldn't be doing things like this to try and maintain control of European oil supplies.

You should look up how many times the US has sanctioned India. Even now we are being threatened with multiple sanctions.

China can afford oil, it does not need a discount. They'll take it sure, until it becomes a problem, then they'll drop it.

Stop proving your stupidity every other day. The cheaper the commodities, the more competitive your exports across the board. China will love a discount on oil even if they are the only country exporting finished goods.

Even the EU can't afford expensive oil, let alone China.

China is a bigger Russian trading partner than India and they have more in common, plus they're next door neighbours.

Doesn't matter. As India gets richer, China will get a viable trade competitor.

Yeah, you get weapons that apparently don't work very well, a precarious alliance, plus some associated stigma.

That's our problem. Shouldn't be your concern.

You haven't noticed China making inroads in Africa and the Middle East. In 20-30 years time, nobody will give much of a damn about oil anyway.

Sure, then 20-30 years later, Russia's oil will become useless too, but until then it's they who hold China's balls.

Oil is traded on the open market, so that premium sounds like a hoax to me. Probably more to do with transportation costs and other factors. Europe (Brent) has a different price to the US (WTI) too. Probably a lot of factors involved.

China's economy is far more robust than that. You don't go from 8% growth to zero just because of a change in oil prices. Unless you're an oil and gas export economy that is. :ROFLMAO:

Not change in price, but end to supplies. The argument is Russia can stop supplies and China goes to sh!t in a matter of months.

They still make 300% profit and get a new major customer in exchange. Plus we get to pay in rupees. And we get some leverage over OPEC when it comes to the Asian Premium as their marketshare goes down.

They still make 300% profit and get a new major customer in exchange. Plus we get to pay in rupees. And we get some leverage over OPEC when it comes to the Asian Premium as their marketshare goes down.

Russia's production cost is $10 per oil barrel, so even at $80 they are getting 700% profit. And to western countries they are selling at full price 1000% profit in oil and Gas is even higher at 2000% profit margin.

• Haha