AHCA (Advanced Heavy Combat Aircraft) concept, 5/5.5/6gen? Su-30MKI replacement? TEDBF 2.0?

OMG!!!!!! o_O😱 Although F-22 practiced with SE Asian Flankers, If not photoshoped then this is the pic of the decade. :LOL:🤣 The controversial thing is after googling i could find only this pic. 😂 It is labled as of 2018, posted in 2022 on Reddit.
Why OFFICIAL IAF & foreign websites have not shared this & more pics??????????? 🤔
Since you're so surprised to hear that Su-30MKI has practiced with Raptors and Ligntning 2s, I've brought more pics this time around for you to feast your eyes🤣:

Here we go. MKI exercising with Fatty:

Screenshot_20240824-191015_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240824-191026_Chrome.jpg

MKI with Raptor over Alaska at Red Flag:

Screenshot_20240824-191359_Chrome.jpg

Source of the images: Google/Respective owners

Here is the tweet:

And no, these pics are real and not photoshoped. MKM has got MAWS hump in its dorsal spine, MKI hasn't. Their colour is also different.

I generally take public figures with a pinch of salt.

AFAIK, TVC has been tested on a J-10C but not operationally deployed. IIRC, the prototype was flown during Zhuhai airshow a couple of years back.

Agree. But close in combat is slow because of all the turning.

Depends on various factors like AoA, altitude, etc plus nose pointing ability to take the first shot (and ofc pilot skill). I'd bet on the MKI precisely because of TVC. But the MKI carries only about 150 rounds of gun ammo and I wouldn't want to linger around, especially if flying over hostile territory. Live to fight another day.
MKI is an air-dominance fighter not designed for gun fighting. However, if it can defeat Typhoon, Rafale and F-22(MKM) in guns-only fight speaks volumes about its agility, high-alpha/nose-pointing with Canards, enlarged LERX and TVC and even its rate fighting. Even with 150 rounds, those 30mm cannon rounds are extremely lethal and accurate.

One more thing we have to bear in mind is that after UPG upgrade, MKI will have a much lighter nose due to lighter RADAR/IRST. That will increase its nose-pointing ability, ITR and even STR and reduction in weight would also reduce its wing-loading and increase the coefficient of lift. So all in all, the upgrade shall result in not only a much better BVR fighter but also much better dogfighter(with both guns and WVR missiles) over now. The second aspect remains slightly overlooked in these discussions, IMO.

Reactions: YoungWolf
You mean DSI intake, yes? Personally, I think it looks better now from the head-on angle.

LM makes no bones about the JSF being a strike fighter with secondary A2A capability. It's probably inferior in some fight profiles to a Block 30 F-16C, (maybe the new engine might change that).

(Nitpicking alert) The AMCA though is designed to be multi-role so imo the design should have been closer to the F22/Kaan. An internal payload of 1.5t is just too low imo, for a 25t class MTOW fighter. This jet isn't going to be cheap so it should ideally pack more punch.

Hopefully, the definitive Mk2 version will have a stretched fuselage/stealth underwing pods to allow more weapons to be carried internally.

You mean DSI intake, yes? Personally, I think it looks better now from the head-on angle.
Yeah, I concur. From head on view, it looks awesome:

Screenshot_20240825-135322_Chrome.jpg

Image source: EurAsian Times/Google

It looks far sleeker than Fatty from this angle. AMCA is more tailored for Air-to-air combat than air-to-ground as the 1.5 tonnes IWB limit would suggest. For that, design is really good.
LM makes no bones about the JSF being a strike fighter with secondary A2A capability. It's probably inferior in some fight profiles to a Block 30 F-16C, (maybe the new engine might change that).
True.
(Nitpicking alert) The AMCA though is designed to be multi-role so imo the design should have been closer to the F22/Kaan. An internal payload of 1.5t is just too low imo, for a 25t class MTOW fighter. This jet isn't going to be cheap so it should ideally pack more punch.
Yes, for being multi-role, 1.5t weapons load for IWB is simply stupid.
Hopefully, the definitive Mk2 version will have a stretched fuselage/stealth underwing pods to allow more weapons to be carried internally.
If we stretch it longer and make it slightly wider then it could be our AHCA and worthy Su-30MKI replacement as well.

It is like a game of chess not just with adversaries but also new gen Vs previous gen within same country & maker.

What makes MKI the best is its versatility. The kind of air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons it can fire is simply unprecedented and unparallel. We have continued to evolve it.
That's exactly what makers & operators say about their products of every gen in their era till retirement, be it Lockheed, Northrop, Boeing, Mikoyan, Sukhoi, Dassault, SAAB, etc. All fighter jets since 4gen are supposed to be versatile, firing variety of weapons. Google Images will show many results for all jets so i wont paste them here.

It now has got Digital-RWR to geo-locate LPI signals of hostile AESA radars. MKM, on the other hand, is still stuck where it was.
One more thing we have to bear in mind is that after UPG upgrade, MKI will have a much lighter nose due to lighter RADAR/IRST. That will increase its nose-pointing ability, ITR and even STR and reduction in weight would also reduce its wing-loading and increase the coefficient of lift. So all in all, the upgrade shall result in not only a much better BVR fighter but also much better dogfighter(with both guns and WVR missiles) over now. The second aspect remains slightly overlooked in these discussions, IMO.
> So the next obvious question is what is the AMCA team doing to be ahead of 4.5gen MLUs, be it any aspect, component? Otherwise all future concepts like AHCA will also be impacted.
> Those same makers are creators of next gen. They will push previous gen to economic max MLU level but will also create exclusive stuff for newer gen which will be simply incompatible with older gen.
The situation looks self-conflicting & frustrating to makers themselves that they have to economise with older gen also & defeat adversaries with costlier next gen also.
Even Sukhoi guys would be thinking that if Su-35-S is so versatile then what should be exclusive to Su-57.
If F-15EX/SE is versatile then what should be exclusive to F-22.
If 11Bn USD F-22 MLU will make it more versatile then what should be exclusive to NGAD.
If Su-30MKI is versatile then what should be exclusive to AMCA.🤔😆
Not just F-22, F-35, Su-57, J-20, TFX, KFX & their team, but also our own AMCA & ADA+NAL+DRDO will look funny if they can't find ways to defeat older gen jets most of the times. A lot of scientists & engineers will get fired for wasting R&D time & money. :ROFLMAO:

Since you're so surprised to hear that Su-30MKI has practiced with Raptors and Ligntning 2s, I've brought more pics this time around for you to feast your eyes🤣:

Here we go. MKI exercising with Fatty:

View attachment 35779
View attachment 35780

MKI with Raptor over Alaska at Red Flag:

View attachment 35781

Source of the images: Google/Respective owners

Here is the tweet:

And no, these pics are real and not photoshoped. MKM has got MAWS hump in its dorsal spine, MKI hasn't. Their colour is also different.
But why is it not on IAF, USAF pages? Why popular Youtubers & journalists have not covered it well? When i search YT then no results. BTW i don't subscribe to any channels & watch all the videos, so it is possible that i have missed it.

MKI is an air-dominance fighter not designed for gun fighting.
That's a huge overconfident gamble with pilot's life & costly jet. Watching both Russian & Western documentaries, some designers wanted to remove the gun not only in 5gen but 4gen also, thinking that at least 1 AAM will kill the enemy. Until AAMs achieve 100% Pk or in future DEW is effective destroyer, disruptor or detour, till then gun will be required.
Even in the ATF & JSF documentaries still there on YT we can see glimpses of conflict of opinions among the design team members related to different aspects.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
I generally take public figures with a pinch of salt.
I mean not the random public citizens opinion but the govt. of both sides should publish the same data.

AFAIK, TVC has been tested on a J-10C but not operationally deployed.
But we have to assume that in future the TVC will be a standard issue in J-10, J-20, J-31/35.

Agree. But close in combat is slow because of all the turning.
To make it fast, a rapid acceleration or T/W ration is required. Like i shared earlier the wet T/W ratio of few jets, current best is 1.4, minimum should be 1.2

Depends on various factors like AoA, altitude, etc plus nose pointing ability to take the first shot (and ofc pilot skill). I'd bet on the MKI precisely because of TVC. But the MKI carries only about 150 rounds of gun ammo and I wouldn't want to linger around, especially if flying over hostile territory. Live to fight another day.
Yes but those factors like AoA are dependent on T/W ratio otherwise the jet may stall. And hence i would NOT bet on MKI with AL-31 engines giving wet T/W ratio of just 1.05
It is time for MKI to get AL-41 engine.

It is like a game of chess not just with adversaries but also new gen Vs previous gen within same country & maker.

That's exactly what makers & operators say about their products of every gen in their era till retirement, be it Lockheed, Northrop, Boeing, Mikoyan, Sukhoi, Dassault, SAAB, etc. All fighter jets since 4gen are supposed to be versatile, firing variety of weapons. Google Images will show many results for all jets so i wont paste them here.

> So the next obvious question is what is the AMCA team doing to be ahead of 4.5gen MLUs, be it any aspect, component? Otherwise all future concepts like AHCA will also be impacted.
> Those same makers are creators of next gen. They will push previous gen to economic max MLU level but will also create exclusive stuff for newer gen which will be simply incompatible with older gen.
The situation looks self-conflicting & frustrating to makers themselves that they have to economise with older gen also & defeat adversaries with costlier next gen also.
Even Sukhoi guys would be thinking that if Su-35-S is so versatile then what should be exclusive to Su-57.
If F-15EX/SE is versatile then what should be exclusive to F-22.
If 11Bn USD F-22 MLU will make it more versatile then what should be exclusive to NGAD.
If Su-30MKI is versatile then what should be exclusive to AMCA.🤔😆
Not just F-22, F-35, Su-57, J-20, TFX, KFX & their team, but also our own AMCA & ADA+NAL+DRDO will look funny if they can't find ways to defeat older gen jets most of the times. A lot of scientists & engineers will get fired for wasting R&D time & money. :ROFLMAO:

But why is it not on IAF, USAF pages? Why popular Youtubers & journalists have not covered it well? When i search YT then no results. BTW i don't subscribe to any channels & watch all the videos, so it is possible that i have missed it.

That's a huge overconfident gamble with pilot's life & costly jet. Watching both Russian & Western documentaries, some designers wanted to remove the gun not only in 5gen but 4gen also, thinking that at least 1 AAM will kill the enemy. Until AAMs achieve 100% Pk or in future DEW is effective destroyer, disruptor or detour, till then gun will be required.
Even in the ATF & JSF documentaries still there on YT we can see glimpses of conflict of opinions among the design team members related to different aspects.

Hi,

Regarding Guns in fighter, I think pilot can use Guns around twice before ammunition runs out. Not sure, from random remote memory.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

I did consider the fixing, adjusting time, but in a different way, i mentioned a very superficial & URGENT timeline with shift duty.
- After 3x500 days or 4yrs i added another 3yrs.
- I'm not considering our GoI/MoD/DoD late & sorry attitude so far post independence, be it with funding or metallurgy engineering colleges, etc. After developing 1st version of Kaveri we are not noobs anymore.
- Moreover, every maker works on many types of engines for cargo, passenger, military. Time is distributed among products. But if work force is not increased then timeline further gets extended.
- Like i said at least 2-3 engines would be made perhaps with slightly different set of parameters, so that if 1 stalls others can continue.

Our industry is not mature enough to have that many engines. Even the Chinese have just 1.

It seems NGAD engines concept began in 2007 with VAATE/ADVENT program.
In 2016 GE & P&W started building XA-100 & XA-101 respectively for NGAD & also possible candidate for F-35.
In just 1 year itself by 2017 P&W took F135 core & put additional 2 stream shell around it & created a demonstrator.
XA-101 ground testing began in 2021.
Then they decided not to change the complete F135 engine for F-35 but there are doing some kind of MLU.

View attachment 35650
View attachment 35652

ADVENT started in 2007, but before that was another program that ran internally until 2007. Then came AETD and then AETP. So they keep closing programs after milestones are achieved and starting new ones with new objectives.

That's the Kumbhakaran version which won't reduce the gap with West a bit. It is the engine & geopolitics dictating everything since LCA days. But things are different now. If EU can dump 5gen & we are ready to use present engines by Russia or USA then AHCA can be prototyped along with AMCA till new engines are made for both. It is like diff. b/w F-18 class to F-15 class. If AHCA can be made then AMCA can be exported like reduced version of AHCA. Russia & China cannot match Western standards yet, but they don't sacrifice their R&D with whatever they have. Otherwise we re looking at HMRCA tenders.
- We are in the era of advanced CAD S/w which can speed up the soft part.
- When we have expansion of products & platforms in our arsenal & also export potential then we definitely need a larger work force & infrastructure. It will give more employment opportunities.

Our only future replacement program is MKI and its from 2055 onwards. The IAF is set until the mid to late 2040s with AMCA.

The thing is the IAF realized that they don't need a very big and heavy MKI-style jet for enemies at the border. They need Rafale/AMCA-sized jets because the main criteria is operational availability and turnaround time. So 100 AMCA will be superior to 270 MKIs in the main criterias.

I think there is still confusion here.
I'm speculating about Naval AHCA in 2040s & you are talking about adding a SCRamjet to it bcoz USA & Russia have UNREVEALED SR-72 & PAKDP. There is no news on Naval SR-72 or even high-supersonic Naval MiG-41 PAKDP.

I'm not talking about that being a naval requirement. The IN only needs an AMCA++ in the 2040s. So the industry will take it up after TEDBF. But IAF will want its MKI replacement to be ramjet/scramjet capable in 2055.

What I'm saying is the next IAF jet ADA develops to replace MKI will not be NGAD, FCAS, GCAP class, it will be Mig-41++/SR-72++ class.

> If you say that a regular turbofan engine or its 3 stream VCE will itself take 20-30 years then imagine how much a Ramjet, then a SCRamjet R&D would/should take with full safety & good efficiency.

AMCA's engine will give us all that. AMCA and N-AMCA will require a turbofan, with or without VCE, whatever the forces want. This will serve our needs for 50+ years.

For AHCA, we will need turbofan/turbojet + ramjet/scramjet.

- RLV is still downscaled TD of the actual spaceplane which would be size of USA's Space Shuttle.
- RLV is testing SCRamjet, not Ramjet. Big difference.
- Having few Spaceplanes & having 100s of SCRamjet Fighters, mamoth cost difference.
So we won't have a fighter jet in 2040s with SCRamjet long after USA has SR-72 like thing.

2055, not 2040s.

Russia will have Mig-41 by 2030, ramjet-based. US will have SR-72 by 2030 as well, scramjet-based. RLV is a TD for a space shuttle, but a smaller version will also be developed for unmanned missions to launch satellites and run experiments.

Anyway, this is irrelevant to the discussion. My point is we will have ramjet/scramjet on an aircraft by 2030-35 as well, which can translate into a militarized engine for use on AHCA through the 2040s with introduction after 2050.

The next air superiority fighter will require stratospheric performance. You can quite literally say that MRFA and AMCA will deal with 18 km and below and AHCA will deal with 15 km to 80 km. Adding something between the AMCA and AHCA is just a waste of resources, we can instead just make an AMCA Mk2.

So my development goals for
IAF: LCA > AMCA > AHCA (stratospheric class)
IN: N-LCA > TEDBF > TEDBF 2.0 (NGAD, FCAS class)
ADA: LCA > TEDBF > AMCA > TEDBF 2.0 > AHCA

The IAF and IN will ultimately have 3 indigenous types, with only Rafale being common to both.

Of course, I'm not sure yet if LCA Mk1/A will see a direct replacement. It could all get subsumed into AHCA + drones.

> Like i said, a Hypersonic aircraft will need massive fuel, 2 types of engines, good payload. Even the YF-12A empty weight was 27.6 tons & MTOW 63.5 tons. So it will be not just heavy but super-heavy category, not that of AHCA but much beyond it.
So SCRamjet development cannot be bridge b/w AMCA & AHCA.

Mig-41 should give us a clue in the future.

AMCA++???... reminds me of C++ :ROFLMAO: but that was much better than C.
> AHCA won't be just "slightly" bigger & heavier. it needs to carry customized naval strike weapons internaly. For now we should initially assume it to be like NGAD, F/A-XX.
> If bigger jet is bit more stealthy than a smaller jet then it is a big achievment. F-22 is 10x less RCS than F-35, that's awesome.
> Sometimes i feel that IAF's liking/disliking has also contributed to problems. Feedback from pilots is taken for improvements & upgrades but, 1000s of pilots may also differ in their likes/dislikes w.r.t. cockpit design, controls, screen GUI, etc.
But if AHCA can be created by 2040s then IAF & IN won't have any reason of disliking it.

I believe drones will be made to carry heavier weapons, while the fighters themselves will be more sensor and fuel-heavy with smaller weapons bays. 'Cause it's pretty cheap and fast to fly a drone and fire off standoff munitions.

Neither of the JSF were designed to be more stealthy than F-22 bcoz they were JOINT strike fighter meant also for allies while F-22 was made with export ban, not even to closest allies. The Boeing X-32 was a loser from begining due tomany factors including exposed engine or blocker if any.

View attachment 35669

As per General Hostage, who was the commander of USAF's ACC, the F-35 has lower RCS than the F-22.

People are confused about it because they are comparing the F-22's achieved RCS to the F-35's goal. But the F-35 also surpassed its goal.

May i know - Are you Russian?
> Scientists & engineers in USA, Russia, France, UK, Sweden, China, Turkey, S.Korea, they all know what they are doing. But -ve points are found on all their jets. We have to try to avoid all those. The ultimate result is that Su-57, J-20 have not reduced their RCS near F-22's. So exposed blocker can also be contributing reason. And if angled blocker alone is so effective then R.I.P. all those geometric stealth concepts. And the blocker should then be installed on 4.5gen jets also, major problem solved.
Why should we take chance with our future concepts bcoz of other countries?

Indian.

We are not doing anything fancy, our main goal is success. The Russians are far more experienced than India is, and they are bound to know more than we do right now, way more.

Never heard that in American documentaries, articles on ATF, JSF. Like i said, an export jet cannot be more stealthy than the one with export ban & the reasons are clearly visible in design. F-22 doesn't have IFR probe door, ladder, EOTS, too many bumps, etc. It is apparently using more RAM. Obviously there are more secrets which world doesn't know.
F-35 being a newer jet has some better sensors, fusion, cockpit, HMDS, networking.

AFAIK, the F-22's export ban wasn't because of stealth. It carries other unique technologies that they did not want to leak at the time.

If there's one complaint the IAF has had with existing ac, be it Jaguar, LCA and even the M2000, it is that they were under powered. They were trying to fit the Jags with Honeywell F125 until a couple of years ago but gave up on cost grounds. Until the F-404-GE-IN-20 was available, the IAF had the same problem with the LCA MK1 too.

The IAF is full of fighter jocks, who want every bit of thrust possible (and, therefore, manouverability) out of their ac. Having flown the MKI for nearly 25 years, super-maneouverability is going to be a key IAF requirement for any future fighter.

M2000 is not underpowered.

+

> Do you have link of American & European news confirming this? Honestly, i'm astonished by 12:0 ratio. I've seen MKI, Russian Knights, EF-2000, Rafale, etc LIVE @ Aero-India. These little delta-canards are very sneaky, have excellent agility, acceleration & braking. Frankly, i'm not satisfied with our MKI if it comes to gunfight.
> No doubt, Flankers globally pose big RCS but also big threat with their TVC + HMS guided CCMs. Su-30 had good export success with MKI, MKK, MKM, MKA, etc. They were allowed to have mixed avionics & weapons also. MKI came out of Su-37 then Russian Su-30 SM came out of MKI. But if both sides have HMS guided &/or LOAL CCMs then it is equal opportunity, 50-50 chance.
> At least initially, Export jet is inferior to domestic version, be it from any maker country. They will have reduced capability H/w & S/w. So their sensors, computers, control surfaces, etc will also be slightly slower, unless compensated by local or 3rd party upgrade.
> After watching videos & live performance of MKI, MKM, etc, i don't think that MKI is the best export Flanker, currently, due to less powerul engine, lack of MAWS which MKM has. MKI's turn rate & other maneuvers seem slow.
The Russian Flankers would obviously be expected to be on top.
Among the export models, the Chinese Su-35-S could be on top, followed by MKM, then MKI.

As per the IAF, MKI is not underpowered.

• Agree
An internal payload of 1.5t is just too low imo, for a 25t class MTOW fighter. This jet isn't going to be cheap so it should ideally pack more punch.

Yes, for being multi-role, 1.5t weapons load for IWB is simply stupid.
If we stretch it longer and make it slightly wider then it could be our AHCA and worthy Su-30MKI replacement as well.
I won't talk much about AMCA in this thread bcoz i launched this thread due to dissatisfaction with AMCA.😆
The size, shape, weight, structure of AHCA would depend on type & number of weapons it would carry.

LEARNING LESSONS FROM 5GEN JETS F-22, F-35, Su-57
New gen jets would require new gen weapons with modified shape & folding fins, perhaps a different attck profile, like F-22 & F-35 will get MAKO, AGM-88E AARGM-ER, Kh-58UShKE, etc.
For example it is not possible or feasible for Su-57 to carry Brahmos like big missile even if its tandem IWBs are joined.
1724596868438.png

We see that IWBs of both F-22 & Su-57 have some disadvantage.
Su-57 carries only 4 AAMs currently, may be 6 in future.
F-22 cannot carry weapon bigger than JDAM currently. MLU might add something.
1724595251474.jpeg

Su-57 can carry cruise missle, Kh-58UShKE internally.
1724595317875.jpeg

A bigger collage shows some current weapons fit, some don't.
1724597718379.jpeg

A new jet can combine both capability by having multiple IWBs. the centerline IWB will carry customized CrM, AShM, ARM, etc.
And 2 parallel IWBs can carry 2 AAMs each, total 4.
If we imagine a modified diagram of Su-57 & F-22 then it would look like following:
NOTE - This is just preliminary & notional, otherwise the engines & internal components will obviously have to be adjusted.
1724605312046.png

The following is 1 of the many examples already created by CAD artist Rodrigo Avella in his vision of F/A-XX :
The IWB bottom edge would be wider than F-22.

1724599008236.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Regarding Guns in fighter, I think pilot can use Guns around twice before ammunition runs out. Not sure, from random remote memory.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
No, where did you read that? Which example you are considering? How much magazine capacity?
400+ 20mm rounds can be carried by big fighter jets.
Just like hand-held machine guns have 3 modes - single bullet, 3-4 bullets, manual continious fire, what some people refer to as manual/semi-auto/auto, similarly to avoid wastage, a modern jet's gun may have S/w controlled options. When the impact point reticle is within the target indicator box then only the gun will fire short burst.

Reactions: Sathya
No, where did you read that? Which example you are considering? How much magazine capacity?
400+ 20mm rounds can be carried by big fighter jets.
Just like hand-held machine guns have 3 modes - single bullet, 3-4 bullets, manual continious fire, what some people refer to as manual/semi-auto/auto, similarly to avoid wastage, a modern jet's gun may have S/w controlled options. When the impact point reticle is within the target indicator box then only the gun will fire short burst.

I am really not sure where I read it.. Whether single or double barrel discussion or combat helicopter discussion...

Could be the time to empty ammunition discussion.. Don't know.

We ll ask experts experience about how useful guns are..

@vstol Jockey

Reactions: HariPrasad