Alarm Raised Over Destabilizing New Russian Threat In Space: Reports

Indeed. This is why they have a "moving satellite" called X-37. It is probably made to avoid a too easy targeted satellite solution.

A drone space shuttle can have many uses, including payload delivery. But there's a limit to how much they can maneuver in space at mach 25.

I hope the end will be different.

I don't think anything violent will happen though, just a new arms race and a new cold war. And this time Europe may have to fight alone 'cause the US has to deal with China, and without the high economic and population growth Europe experienced during the Cold War.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
I don't think anything violent will happen though, just a new arms race and a new cold war. And this time Europe may have to fight alone 'cause the US has to deal with China, and without the high economic and population growth Europe experienced during the Cold War.
I found Europe more secure under cold war. Far less low IQ immigration = far far less street violence.
Same can be said about economy.
Just my own opinion.

Very old tech. Nothing "serious" or "destabilizing" about this.

Nearly unlimited ability to maneuver between different orbits, overlaid with ionized gas emission means it's very difficult to maintain Space Situational Awareness on the platform.

Could disappear from here & pop up over there - and unless you send a X37B or another co-orbital platform to verify it's visual ID, there's no way to know where it really is.

Gels with it not being an "immediate threat".

This move opens the Pandora's Box of 4th leg of nuclear delivery system from Triad to Quad Land Based Silos, Sea using SSBN, Air & now Space Based warheads that won't need missiles that are vulnerable to Anti Ballistic missiles and missile defence systems like S500s.

Also opens space based Anti Ballistic missile defence system both kinetic and lasers & space based ASATs. Space based Radars that can cover huge areas and track everything coming near your borders. There are many aspects to it.

These systems will make wars very expensive and can push up defence budgets of many countries that can bring down budget for social welfare, health, education & can even make them go bankrupt if countries start weapons race...

Not a good thing for humanity though....

This is quoting officials describing it as a nuclear anti-satellite weapon, so that pretty much confirms the above.

That's not a nuclear weapon.

This move opens the Pandora's Box of 4th leg of nuclear delivery system from Triad to Quad Land Based Silos, Sea using SSBN, Air & now Space Based warheads that won't need missiles that are vulnerable to Anti Ballistic missiles and missile defence systems like S500s.

Also opens space based Anti Ballistic missile defence system both kinetic and lasers & space based ASATs. Space based Radars that can cover huge areas and track everything coming near your borders. There are many aspects to it.

These systems will make wars very expensive and can push up defence budgets of many countries that can bring down budget for social welfare, health, education & can even make them go bankrupt if countries start weapons race...

Space is the next war domain. Americans are developing satellites that can do the job of AWACS and track air moving targets. It's also no coincidence that IAF wants to transition into IASF;)

Next arms race is already on...

Reactions: Paro
I'd imagine the reason for employing a nuclear-derived power source is to ensure it has enough energy to keep changing it's orbital plane?

Combine that with a ionized gas-emitting propulsion system, and any such satellite can be quite difficult to effectively keep track of.
Not too tricky for an SM-3 IIA to shoot down though.
That's not a nuclear weapon.

No, it's not, at least not in that sense. If it was I imagine the threat would be described as 'immediate'. It could still be dangerous if it targeted ground radars during an attack though, depending on capabilities.

Nearly unlimited ability to maneuver between different orbits, overlaid with ionized gas emission means it's very difficult to maintain Space Situational Awareness on the platform.

Could disappear from here & pop up over there - and unless you send a X37B or another co-orbital platform to verify it's visual ID, there's no way to know where it really is.

Gels with it not being an "immediate threat".

It's been around since the 60s. And it's not an example of something the US has known about since only 3 years. This stuff is decades old.

When the war started, I had even pointed this out as a reason for why we need to continue dealing with the Russians, for exotic tech, like nuclear reactors in space. So if I knew it in 2022, and even before that, this is definitely not a new revelation. Nor is it a long-term threat.

I found Europe more secure under cold war. Far less low IQ immigration = far far less street violence.
Same can be said about economy.
Just my own opinion.

The immigration happening in the US, Europe and India (Muslim Bangladeshis) are being done by leftists. It's being done to change voting demographics in the long term because non-white minorities tend to vote left, they are fooled to do that.

In India, we are dealing with it via a system called NRC.

Basically all people have to prove their citizenship to have voting rights. It's been implemented in one state bordering Bangladesh, and it's expected to happen all over the country. Those not in the list will be documented and will have to naturalize normally if they seek asylum or face deportation. And if they seek asylum, they can never go back to Bangladesh.

Exactly. There's already nothing better than an ICBM for nukes. No point in putting nukes in space. Any nuke payloads in space orbiting the planet will also be easily identified and shot down even before launch.

Not too tricky for an SM-3 IIA to shoot down though.

No, it's not, at least not in that sense. If it was I imagine the threat would be described as 'immediate'. It could still be dangerous if it targeted ground radars during an attack though, depending on capabilities.

It needs to be a new unknown capability though. Like that new hypersonic weapon from China that can orbit around the globe.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajput Lion and BMD
It needs to be a new unknown capability though. Like that new hypersonic weapon from China that can orbit around the globe.
I'm fairly sure the US must have some undisclosed capabilities, the number of launches by the USSF since 2022 is huge.

I'll just remind what US space capabilities were in 1985

Tuesday, June 11, 1985​

-Lunch was with 5 top space scientists. It was fascinating. Space truly is the last frontier and some of the developments there in astronomy etc. are like science fiction except they are real. I learned that our shuttle capacity is such we could orbit 300 people.

US owns space and loves to scream poverty and lack of capability to keep the MIC well funded.

Space shuttles cargo bay are not vacuum capable so he's talking about something else.

Picture and video of threat found!
1708039229916.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ginvincible
Anyway, it's very likely that the Americans are referring to the S-550.

This BMD is capable of bringing down ICBMs, and can be bought in enough numbers to threaten Western deterrence. It's expected to begin fielding in 2025 and could take at least until 2030-35 for sufficient numbers to provide deterrence against nearly 2000 nuke warheads.

So it fulfills the criteria of a new capability and words like serious and destabilizing and long term. Even the Russians claim it is "never-before-seen."

Russia is open to export it to India. Our BMD is aimed for up to IRBMs, so we are still missing an anti-ICBM capability.

Anyway, it's very likely that the Americans are referring to the S-550.

This BMD is capable of bringing down ICBMs, and can be bought in enough numbers to threaten Western deterrence. It's expected to begin fielding in 2025 and could take at least until 2030-35 for sufficient numbers to provide deterrence against nearly 2000 nuke warheads.

So it fulfills the criteria of a new capability and words like serious and destabilizing and long term. Even the Russians claim it is "never-before-seen."

Russia is open to export it to India. Our BMD is aimed for up to IRBMs, so we are still missing an anti-ICBM capability.
US has an even greater supply of SM-3 IIAs with the same terminal capability.