French Military aviation update and discussion

They forgot the 40+ Rafale M, Atlantic 2 and other marine birds.
That's what I was wondering . Aren't the total number of Rafales in service with the French AF & Navy some 180 units ? How come this tally is showing only some 98 odd units for Armee de l'Air ? Where are the rest ?

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
So next question, what are the improvements? Or are they all classified?

It's to avoid obsolescence, and mainly to keep the performances when facing a more effective aerial defense.
It's voluntarily unclear.
But why not by increasing the agility and trajectories available? to fly lower in some part of the flight? To improve the counter measures (it there was some cm) ?
To use a more effective fuel for more range ?

• Informative
Reactions: BMD
That's what I was wondering . Aren't the total number of Rafales in service with the French AF & Navy some 180 units ? How come this tally is showing only some 98 odd units for Armee de l'Air ? Where are the rest ?
180 is the total qty ordered so far.
between 20 and 30 remain to be delivered, and 5 were lost.

After these 180, another batch was to be inked in the very next years, and after that it was unclear.
BUT with the late arrival of FCAS and the ukrainian war, the final figure may be more. My bet is a next order of 48 instead of 30.

We order 180 and deliver 152 so there is 28 missing.
There is 41 for the navy and five were lost so the remaining are 106
There is some for development still alive and at museum and some at CEAM to develop tactic.
Next batch order will be after the 28 missing + 12 Greek = 40. It will be 30 + 12 Croate = 42 likely in 2023, for delivery in 2026.
After that we will have 15 more order likely in 2027 for delivery in 2030.
After 2030 we will have to replace the oldest Rafale before we order NGF. But it could be after 2036 only because the Rafale operational life is now 9000 h instead of 7500.

We order 180 and deliver 152 so there is 28 missing.
There is 41 for the navy and five were lost so the remaining are 106
There is some for development still alive and at museum and some at CEAM to develop tactic.
Next batch order will be after the 28 missing + 12 Greek = 40. It will be 30 + 12 Croate = 42 likely in 2023, for delivery in 2026.
After that we will have 15 more order likely in 2027 for delivery in 2030.
After 2030 we will have to replace the oldest Rafale before we order NGF. But it could be after 2036 only because the Rafale operational life is now 9000 h instead of 7500.

M2000 replacements, the ones being upgraded today?

Should start going out before the oldest Rafales.

M2000 replacements, the ones being upgraded today?

Should start going out before the oldest Rafales.
We have 113 Mirage and we are improving 55 Mirage 2000 D by dealing with obsolescence and adding the possibility of firing MICA IR.
These are very minor improvements that allow them to be used for another 10 years, especially in countries without in-flight opposition, as is the case in some African countries.

We have 113 Mirage and we are improving 55 Mirage 2000 D by dealing with obsolescence and adding the possibility of firing MICA IR.
These are very minor improvements that allow them to be used for another 10 years, especially in countries without in-flight opposition, as is the case in some African countries.

So shouldn't those be replaced as well? I've always assumed about half those M2000s will be replaced by Rafales after 2030. I mean, it makes sense for France to keep the line open until FCAS.

So shouldn't those be replaced as well? I've always assumed about half those M2000s will be replaced by Rafales after 2030. I mean, it makes sense for France to keep the line open until FCAS.
All the mirage will be replaced by 2032 exept very few (it's why the balzac contract is 14 years long : 2022 +14 =2036 but from 2032 to 2036 There will be less than 10 Mirage)

Sébastien Lecornu : « Les industriels de la défense doivent être au rendez-vous de l'économie de guerre »

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Sébastien Lecornu: "The defence industry must be in tune with the war economy

The Minister of the Armed Forces explains to "Les Echos" how he will very quickly ask the arms companies for proposals to enable them to produce more quickly, in order to ensure that France has the right strategic stocks. He reminds us that in wartime, there is no question of continuing to favour zero stock, margin and just-in-time production.

Visiting the Aresia company in Rouvignies in the North of France, the Minister of the Army, Sébastien Lecornu, asked the arms companies to review their strategy and their production methods, in order to enter into a war economy logic.

"We cannot say that war is coming back to Europe and continue to have the same military programming law in all things," said the President of the Republic in Madrid at the NATO summit, calling for lessons to be learned from the conflict in Ukraine. "I want us to learn the lessons about the organisation of our armies with the defence industries. We must undoubtedly know how to produce more, more quickly and better standardise our offer," he repeated.

Sébastien Lecornu : « Les industriels de la défense doivent être au rendez-vous de l'économie de guerre »

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Sébastien Lecornu: "The defence industry must be in tune with the war economy

The Minister of the Armed Forces explains to "Les Echos" how he will very quickly ask the arms companies for proposals to enable them to produce more quickly, in order to ensure that France has the right strategic stocks. He reminds us that in wartime, there is no question of continuing to favour zero stock, margin and just-in-time production.

Visiting the Aresia company in Rouvignies in the North of France, the Minister of the Army, Sébastien Lecornu, asked the arms companies to review their strategy and their production methods, in order to enter into a war economy logic.

"We cannot say that war is coming back to Europe and continue to have the same military programming law in all things," said the President of the Republic in Madrid at the NATO summit, calling for lessons to be learned from the conflict in Ukraine. "I want us to learn the lessons about the organisation of our armies with the defence industries. We must undoubtedly know how to produce more, more quickly and better standardise our offer," he repeated.

The faster it's done the better. It also requires public committements of increasing the defence budget.

(pic)
vjnt4r2dp0z91.jpg

(i am your father)​

a Thales Ocean-Master 100 maritime surveillance radar and a Chlio FLIR long-range passive infrared reconnaissance system, which will be replaced from 2023 by a Euroflir 410.
That's good to hear. I was under the impression that only MPA capability France had is in form of legacy Atlantiqe airframes.

2016-07-27-5521Rr-1_crédit%20Thales.jpg

DGA delivers an improved TALIOS pod to the French Air Force
On 3 November 2022, the French Defence Procurement Agency (DGA) delivered the 31st TALIOS pod, an airborne target designation pod for land, sea and air. It is intended for the French Air Force.

On November 3, 2022, the French defense procurement agency (DGA) delivered the 31st TALIOS pod, an airborne target designation pod for land, sea and air. It is intended for the French Air Force and the French Space Agency. This 31st pod is enriched with two new capabilities. :

• it has a "high definition" capability that provides the crew with a more resolved near-infrared image and integrates a wide field of view colour sensor that will allow high definition videos to be colourised from the Rafale's F4.2 standard;
  • the new data link integrated into the pod allows video and metadata to be transmitted to ground troops in order to improve the coordination of operations (target designation, fire control, etc.).

The 36 remaining pods to be delivered will be in this configuration.

What is TALIOS?
The TALIOS (TArgeting Long-range Identification Optronic System) is a multifunctional optronic pod manufactured by Thales. It is a major piece of equipment for the Rafale fighter jets of the French Air Force and the French Navy for their air-to-surface missions.

Equipped with this pod, the Rafale covers the entire spectrum of intelligence, acquisition, tracking and target designation missions, providing images in both the near-infrared and infrared ranges. It also features new and improved stationary and moving target tracking capabilities, an automatic moving target detection capability and a new man-machine interface.

A total of sixty-seven TALIOS pods have been ordered for the military. The remaining 36 pods will be delivered by 2025. /deepl