Future Combat Vehicle Programs (FRCV and FICV)

I hope they build a gas turbine engine instead of 1500 HP diesel engine for FRCV. Even Russians are probably going for Gas turbine for future MBT. It's advantages outweigh diesel by a long shot

Makes me think that the slimmed down Abrams-X and indeed the KF-51 mod. MBT shown recently could well have been designed with India in mind. Nobody else, except perhaps Poland, is buying 1000+ tanks in the foreseeable future.

Rheinmetall-MBT_03.jpg

EMBT ADT 140

leclerc-evolution-embt-adt-140-leopard-2-a-rc-3-0-v0-pezvd3jf967d1 (1).jpg

T-14 Armata

Responding-to-the-Russian-T-14-Armata-main-battle-tank.jpg

Only two options which look futuristic....
EMBT-ADT 140 has 6 APS/Anti-UAS AESA Radar panels for 360° coverage while Armata 4 ?..... It also has better anti UAS capabilities + better protection for turret compared to Armata even against top attack ATGMS........Sensors & Firepower again is generation ahead compared to T-14.

Last edited:
On the looks front, the latest crop of Euro designs all get top marks. The EMBT-ADT 140 is probably too flashy though for the IA's taste.

None are funded at this stage.

The Russians are going with the proven T-90M, putting the Armata on the backburner. They probably need foreign funding to iron out its kinks and put it into series production.

The Army will give preference to a 'proven' tank over the relatively new Armata. The T-90M hasn't fared all that well in Ukraine either.

I'd say the French Leclerc has a good chance of winning FRCV, since it has a small form factor (better mobility, transportability), low frontal profile (T-72/90) modern mission systems and the new Leclerc-XLR has updated electronics and countermeasures.

It'd be the first time we'd get a French armoured vehicle since the AMX-10

Reactions: YoungWolf

GXIfsp8WIAAPMfX.jpeg

GXIfuIZXgAAC5rj.jpeg

GXIfuI2WAAAJlwf.jpeg

So, 24 + 16 = 40 rounds in total. Pretty good actually. Arjun Mk1A carries ~42 rounds in total.

Arjun Mk1A is a 68-ton tank carrying 42 rounds, 120 mm rifled gun, no autoloader, 4-man crew & a power to weight ratio of 20.5 hp/ton. NGMBT will be a 45-55 ton tank carrying 40 rounds, 120 mm smoothbore gun on a crewless turret, bustle mounted auto-loader, 3-man crew, with a power to weight ratio of 27+ hp/ton (assuming 55-ton weight).
cvrdengmbt.png

The DATRAN 1500 hp engine is already under testing. No news on the 120mm smoothbore gun. This gun will borrow the gas extraction mechanism, breech locking & loading mechanism from the 120 mm rifled gun of the Arjun. Only the barrel will be all new.

View attachment 36195
View attachment 36194
View attachment 36193
So, 24 + 16 = 40 rounds in total. Pretty good actually. Arjun Mk1A carries ~42 rounds in total.

Arjun Mk1A is a 68-ton tank carrying 42 rounds, 120 mm rifled gun, no autoloader, 4-man crew & a power to weight ratio of 20.5 hp/ton. NGMBT will be a 45-55 ton tank carrying 40 rounds, 120 mm smoothbore gun on a crewless turret, bustle mounted auto-loader, 3-man crew, with a power to weight ratio of 27+ hp/ton (assuming 55-ton weight).
View attachment 36192
The DATRAN 1500 hp engine is already under testing. No news on the 120mm smoothbore gun. This gun will borrow the gas extraction mechanism, breech locking & loading mechanism from the 120 mm rifled gun of the Arjun. Only the barrel will be all new.

So it will be a burlak turret but all crew sitting in front

d148433c-9df3-4446-b7d8-d219ff28785c_text.gif

Reactions: Shan
I will be a little critical and I ask that you think about this rationally. How about partnering up with either South Korea or France for developing a good and capable FMBT within a specified timeline?

I am coming from a good place. After Arjun, MK1A, AMCA, INSAS and Tapas a timely win will go a long way.

What are you trying to say here? Only Tapas is a failure in this.
I fear if a capable FMBT will be delivered on time and will make it in numbers that are needed. It is my belief considering India's delicate position (BD, Pak. , China) a joint project will give a faster turnaround and might help the weapon system make into the military on time.

I am not pointing towards a failure...I am talking about project(s) mismanagement, failure, lack of business continuity management plans (look at how the engine supply issue has just derailed Tejas' planned squadrons - this ties into Kaveri - which literally makes me weep), lack of oversight, and last but not the least adherence to development timelines and complete timely integration with the forces.

India should aim to make a FMBT that is export worthy and will help solidify its military complex...I fear this might not happen with DRDO (no shade on them).

I fear if a capable FMBT will be delivered on time and will make it in numbers that are needed. It is my belief considering India's delicate position (BD, Pak. , China) a joint project will give a faster turnaround and might help the weapon system make into the military on time.

I am not pointing towards a failure...I am talking about project(s) mismanagement, failure, lack of business continuity management plans (look at how the engine supply issue has just derailed Tejas' planned squadrons - this ties into Kaveri - which literally makes me weep), lack of oversight, and last but not the least adherence to development timelines and complete timely integration with the forces.

India should aim to make a FMBT that is export worthy and will help solidify its military complex...I fear this might not happen with DRDO (no shade on them).
There is no urgency for FMBT as you think. Pakistan is yet to upgrade seriously to challenge us in this area.

The issues you listed can be solved by reforming DRDO and greater industry participation.

You sound inexperienced. In defense industry, it takes decades to see a plan come to fruition. Its better to not watch this space for mental peace.