IAF Chronicles - A side view of whats going on behind the closed doors in New Delhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect the Mk2 to be produced anytime before 2027.

HAL is hoping the IAF will add 3 more squadrons to the Mk1A's order. Another goal is exports. If IAF refuses, HAL wants to sell the excess production to countries like Malaysia or Vietnam. A bunch of countries have shown interest in the jet.

2027 is too much. If 2027 is the time, we should go with AMCA. IAF accepted Mk2 only cos it was told it has little design modifications and same components will used in Mk1a will be used in Mk2, except extension of fuselage and new engine. It will mean testing time should be kept within 2-3 years. Plan is to make just 2 prototypes.

2027 is too much. If 2027 is the time, we should go with AMCA.

AMCA: 2023 for the first TD. 2025 or 2026 for the first prototype. 2028-2030 for the first LSP. IOC by 2032-33. 2036 for first squadron delivery.

IAF accepted Mk2 only cos it was told it has little design modifications and same components will used in Mk1a will be used in Mk2, except extension of fuselage and new engine. It will mean testing time should be kept within 2-3 years. Plan is to make just 2 prototypes.

Mk2 is expected to fly in 2022. It will need many years before it is made production ready. Production of the first jet may start only in 2025, with first squadron by at least 2028. Extremely optimistic. I've estimated the dates, but it's not going to be sooner than these. A more pessimistic date is 2030 for the first squadron.

The Mk2 is now MCA. It weighs above 16T versus Mk1A's 13.5T.

Why there is no discussion on "Putin-Modi informal summit" ??

What purpose did India-Russia achieved with this sudden visit ?

@Aashish
After all those information leaks, it looks like Doval is after him now.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why there is no discussion on "Putin-Modi informal summit" ??

What purpose did India-Russia achieved with this sudden visit ?

@Aashish
After all those information leaks, it looks like Doval is after him now.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Modi Putin Summit dashed all hopes of Pakistanis to get anything from Russia

And India too promised not to succumb to US sanctions threat
when we buy Russian Arms ; in any case we need them desperately

Infact I am sure that PAK FA deal will also be back soon in some form

Putin was looking very happy with his talks with Modi

Modi & Putin are seasoned politicians, they know how to show/hide their emotions.
But still I don't think they would meet just to counter Pakistan, Pak is actually nothing for Russia whenever it comes to weapons market. Not to forget Pak is still sunni majority and sits on KSA's laps for few millions.

I thought this meeting was about some defense related deals and USA sanctions but nothing came out of this talks. I hope we have found some way to address the sanctions related issue and found some alternate arrangement.

Plus Chacha only visited there for one day.:unsure::unsure:

The FGFA is most definitely still active.

If you recall even Dhanoa spoke about FGFA after the Gagan Shakti exercises.

That Shukla is pretty useless.

@Aashish we miss you:
  • Where are the negotiations between MOD and IAF? Does the F-35 still a candidate?
  • Which RFP will come out first the IAF one or the IN?
  • When will the ski jump tests be held on land for the Rafale and the Super Hornet?
  • And so on....
He is busy with personal commitments. Will be back in time.(y)

@Aashish we miss you:
  • Where are the negotiations between MOD and IAF? Does the F-35 still a candidate?
  • Which RFP will come out first the IAF one or the IN?
  • When will the ski jump tests be held on land for the Rafale and the Super Hornet?
  • And so on....

No chance for the F-35 in the IAF anytime soon. Let's see what the IN does when we start building up expeditionary capabilities in the future, and that's post 2030.

If I was the IAF, I would ensure the IN gets their RFP out first. That way IN can quickly choose Rafale-M and start a proper MII program along with the IAF's 36 jets. If it wasn't election time, you could have expected the IN's RFP to be released this year and IAF's next year. So let's see what happens. I'm hoping that IN will have shortlisted Rafale just before MoD asks for revised bids for the IAF deal.

Ski jump tests can happen at least 1.5 years after the RFP is released. 6 months for RFP process. Then 6-12 months for paper evaluations. This will be followed by field trials, which could take as much as 12-18 months before shortlist. Since there's only two aircraft and both are ready to fly, evaluations could happen faster than IAF's MMRCA evaluations.

Status
Not open for further replies.