Indian Aircraft Crash Notification

It’s not only about budget and depleting squadrons that Indian pilots keep flying Mig 21. I am sensing a feeling of pride, adventure and looking down upon new gen pilots flying highly automated platforms than more skilled and informed pilots flying legacy jets.

Mig-21 you can say is shoved down the throat of IAF but I feel it’s a 2-way love affair. @vstol Jockey
Yeah, it’s like experiencing Death from very close. I wish every IAF and MOD babu to fell such thrilling experiences after joining.

IF we really want to replace the MIG 21 , then the best solution is MIG 29

Neither Rafale nor Tejas can be acquired soon

IF we really want to replace the MIG 21 , then the best solution is MIG 29

Neither Rafale nor Tejas can be acquired soon

Mig 21 is old due to it's frame not the engine or capability. I don't know what kind of training they do, it seems pilots are tested in dealing blackouts while high and low G's maneuver. And recover from the blackout timely.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Mig 21 is old due to it's frame not the engine or capability. I don't know what kind of training they do, it seems pilots are tested in dealing blackouts while high and low G's maneuver. And recover from the blackout timely.
I believe centrifuges are used for high G exercises. You certainly don’t want to kill every future pilot who fails in G test.

I believe centrifuges are used for high G exercises. You certainly don’t want to kill every future pilot who fails in G test.

Training can be done in sims as well in that case. Well real time is different , that filters tout the cream layer, with respect to all pilots. I might sound inhumane but it seems it is like that only. There is no shortage of manpower.

Training can be done in sims as well in that case. Well real time is different , that filters tout the cream layer, with respect to all pilots. I might sound inhumane but it seems it is like that only. There is no shortage of manpower.
Training is done in twin seaters under the guidance of a trainer and solo flights are allowed much later.
Even before that We use Hawks for Advanced training.

Why the heck we order only 83 mk1A?
Even if it isn't very efficient, it still safer than old obsolete aircraft s ..
If we're waiting for mk2 first flight, it's full 3 years up ahead when everything goes right.

Order 250 Mk1A + Mk2, expand the production line , get the numbers faster and retire the old squads.

Or wait for top of the line aircraft s while things fall around us.

4 more Mig21 squadrons remain in service. So 4 squadrons of Mk1A on order.

60+ Darin 3, 80+ Mig29UPG and 50 M2000 will be replaced by MK2.

The non upgraded Jaguar squadrons, the retired Mig27/23/21 squadrons without replacement will hopefully get the 114 MMRCA.

AMCA will start replacing the earliest MKIs.

Pretty much the plan. Money is the problem.

Reactions: AbRaj and Sathya
Even if it isn't very efficient, it still safer than old obsolete aircraft s ..
If we're waiting for mk2 first flight, it's full 3 years up ahead when everything goes right.

Order 250 Mk1A + Mk2, expand the production line , get the numbers faster and retire the old squads.

Or wait for top of the line aircraft s while things fall around us.
Ask yourself why even we had ordered lca altogether when iaf was barely interested on it?

4 more Mig21 squadrons remain in service. So 4 squadrons of Mk1A on order.

60+ Darin 3, 80+ Mig29UPG and 50 M2000 will be replaced by MK2.

The non upgraded Jaguar squadrons, the retired Mig27/23/21 squadrons without replacement will hopefully get the 114 MMRCA.

AMCA will start replacing the earliest MKIs.

Pretty much the plan. Money is the problem.
I said many times in past, only we indians find pride in operating vintage military equipment after doing some gimmicks in the name of upgradation. Look at IAF, jaguar, mirages, mig29 all had passed 30-40 years of life, mig21 is much older. Which country with two military powers as arch rival will do such shits. Not only IAF, iN & IA are not so different in operating vintage equipment. IN will not even think of retiring its boat until it past 40-50 years of services. Same with IA, the man who brought bofors had died som 30 years ago.

We should have started induction of new jets to replace mig 21 the day paf starts it missions with f16, instead of replacing mig 21 we just had ordered miniscule numbers of mirages and keep on flying mig 21. And started putting our faith on LCA, i dont know which stupid put his faith on lca to replace mig 21 in 80s, he should have understand that making a fighter is not as simple as naming an auto rickshaws ( the only Mobile engineering device we managed to produce in 80s).

Reactions: jk007
I said many times in past, only we indians find pride in operating vintage military equipment after doing some gimmicks in the name of upgradation. Look at IAF, jaguar, mirages, mig29 all had passed 30-40 years of life, mig21 is much older. Which country with two military powers as arch rival will do such shits. Not only IAF, iN & IA are not so different in operating vintage equipment. IN will not even think of retiring its boat until it past 40-50 years of services. Same with IA, the man who brought bofors had died som 30 years ago.

We should have started induction of new jets to replace mig 21 the day paf starts it missions with f16, instead of replacing mig 21 we just had ordered miniscule numbers of mirages and keep on flying mig 21. And started putting our faith on LCA, i dont know which stupid put his faith on lca to replace mig 21 in 80s, he should have understand that making a fighter is not as simple as naming an auto rickshaws ( the only Mobile engineering device we managed to produce in 80s).

Mistakes have been made. But the Jaguars, Mirage 2000 and Mig29UPG fleet will be at the same postion in 2030-35 that the Mig21/23/27 were in the past decade. Hopefully we will not repeat the same mistakes and these airframes will be properly replaced.

Mistakes have been made. But the Jaguars, Mirage 2000 and Mig29UPG fleet will be at the same postion in 2030-35 that the Mig21/23/27 were in the past decade. Hopefully we will not repeat the same mistakes and these airframes will be properly replaced.
Dont expect any changes from IAF, if they want also they mod will not allow them. We will chant rafale mmrca or mrfa even in 2030s, dumb heads will blame IAF for not inducting LCA & IAF an import lobby agent. Its been 2 years since we lose our land to Chinese, 23 years is running after kargil,12 years has passed after mumbai attack. These events didn't bring any changes in our procurement policy.

Dont expect any changes from IAF, if they want also they mod will not allow them. We will chant rafale mmrca or mrfa even in 2030s, dumb heads will blame IAF for not inducting LCA & IAF an import lobby agent. Its been 2 years since we lose our land to Chinese, 23 years is running after kargil,12 years has passed after mumbai attack. These events didn't bring any changes in our procurement policy.
We get what we deserve as a society whole.

• Agree
Reactions: Hydra
We get what we deserve as a society whole.
Ys, as a society we are happy with cosmetics. The 36 numbers are just a cosmetics, some one wants to prove that he concerned about military. Nobody sees the fact that from we cut down to mere 36 from126 (189 asper many) of original requirement.

In IAF , The First Supersonic plane after HAWK AJT is the MIG 21

It is known as the MIG operational Flying Training Unit

So Basically ALL new fighter pilots
( including Ladies ) Have to first fly MIG 21 and then are further as assigned to Other Planes

IAF 's logic is that if MiG 21 is Good for Training , then it is good for Operational Duties

Should be kept exclusively for ceremonial last sorties of future IAF CASs like Mr Chowdhary and to give joyride to retired IAF CAS like Saha,Browne,Bhadoria etc.
When you are waiting for years and years to get that % Cut, It's difficult to go against the system and take some radical decisions which indirectly upset the system but I believe we do have leaders who can take that radical decision.

It is not about the pride of IAF my friend to operate outdated Migs, It's actually the amount of taxpayer's money involved in these up-gradation and maintenance programs.

We need to find the best plan..

As a soldier, we may be willing to take a hit but get a weapon that ll win the war.
Could be the thinking for IAF.

We cannot fly obsolete aircraft s and losing men & material is everyone s thinking.

We have a solution in Lca + Rafale.

If we fill the lca requirements first, money will be still rotating innour hands, where we can buy Rafale later.

If we buy MRFA first, money won't be there to replace obsolete ones faster.

So i think we bought a tranche of rafale & mk1A lca.

I hope the same thing is repeated but quickly

When you are waiting for years and years to get that % Cut, It's difficult to go against the system and take some radical decisions which indirectly upset the system but I believe we do have leaders who can take that radical decision.

It is not about the pride of IAF my friend to operate outdated Migs, It's actually the amount of taxpayer's money involved in these up-gradation and maintenance programs.
Tax payers are bound pay for their security & safety. After all we are advertised as fifth largest GDP in world, if we still talking about cash crunch due to economy, then you should realise that we dont deserve to talk about military at all.