Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Programme - Updates and Discussions

The Chinese BMD test was simulated, not real (at least as of yet).

When I say equivalent I mean in terms of kinematic capabilities i.e. range & altitude. The real juice of BMD lies in the software.

In the pic you posted of orders, the specific cost of AAD/PDV is not mentioned.

A single round of PAC-3 costs roughly $8 million, even if ours are only half that price per unit, with Rs. 358 Cr (~$40 million) you're talking about enough funds to buy about 10 of these missiles, let's say 5 AAD and 5 PDV rounds.

Do those numbers sound like something an operational BMD shield would be equipped with? Or do they sound like orders for additional rounds for continuing test launch programs?

For comparison, the Patriot system deployed in Saudi Arabia has an inventory of roughly 650 rounds of PAC-2.
In the screenshot I posted if you minus all other orders with total order(5198.10 crores), then the rest amount is around 358 crores. Yes, we won't get 100 missiles, may 10 or 20 or 30 max. But in my opinion this is LSP and this year they would ramp up production. The screenshot was of last financial years' order log.

@randomradio is damn right. Next year our Phase I BMD would become fully operational(may be even earlier). Anyways, partially it is already deployed.

There's nothing in print. Right now, the best clue is missile tests were not conducted from test rigs, but from actual tactical vehicles painted in geography-specific camo.

AAD_Launch_Crop.jpg

aad-1523887332.jpg

It doesn't get any more obvious than this, mate, they are obviously user tests. In fact, the second truck is used to carry Prahar too.

View attachment 25110

That's nothing to go on really. You have missiles complete with dedicated canisters & camouflaged trucks rolling down Rajpath for missiles like Prahaar, which everyone knows was never inducted or ordered. That doesn't necessarily imply anything.

1920px-Prahaar_Missile.jpg

Another clue is BDL getting the serial production orders for the missiles.

Like I said to Rajput Lion above, the supposed order worth 358 Cr. is barely enough for maybe a dozen rounds, single digits even. That's more than likely to replenish the various test articles that were fired up till now.

If that is a 'production order', then the plan is to shoot down maybe 3-5 Pakistani BMs at most (considering at least 2 ABMs are sent up for each threat to ensure high kill ratio). That's not a "deployment" by any metric.

The target missile was highly modified to mimic a plethora of missiles with different trajectories. For example, the standard altitude of Prithvi is just 50Km, but the target missile has been intercepted at a height of 120Km.

As per DRDO, AAD/PDV can defeat not just existing missiles but even future missiles within the designed flight envelope.

All ballistic missiles are capable of varying their parabolic trajectory depending on where the target coordinates are. The "standard altitude" for a BM is estimated based on its maximum range, but just because it can reach a max of say 300 km doesn't mean it will always only hit targets at that distance...it could be anywhere between 300 down to as low as 50 km. The closer the target, the higher the parabola goes, so higher apogee...pretty standard for a BM.

The point is, the 'special altitude' of Prithvi target doesn't necessarily mean it was simulating something else. As a single-stage missile, there's no way for Prithvi to escape the characteristics that come with being a liquid-fueled platform. It cannot simulate the higher energy & velocities of a solid-fuel counterpart.

If at all P1 ABMs were capable of handling the likes of Shaheen-I/II MRBMs (i.e. the main threat from Pak) it wasn't difficult for us to come up with a target platform based on the Agni-1 or Agni-2. But we never tested or validated P1 against such a target - why?

P1 is expected to be fully operational in 2023 for the Western component. North and Northeast infrastructure will be built under P2.

Btw, I gotta clear a misconception people have. P1 and P2 are geography specific and not technology specific. P1 is meant to have radars and other capabilities facing Pakistan, whereas the Northern and Northeastern components are part of P2, meant to deal with China, yet to be built. So AAD/PDV are Pak-specific to the point that the threat faced from Pakistan can be dealt with these two missiles alone, which will allow us to make it operational faster, and it began this year. Otoh, the threats faced from China needs AAD/PDV and AD-1/AD-2, and we also needed to build new test sites for the P2 missiles.

The S-400's new 40N6 gives us superior capability to the AAD. But that's about the limit of its capabilities. If the S-400 gets exo-atmospheric interception capability, that's great, but I don't believe India has that yet or will get that. Even if it happens, it will still not replace P1 because of our need for volumes and also control over the production.

More importantly, we need full control over our BMD systems in order to deal with new threats. We can't go running to the Russians every time we need to change something. This is less of a problem with SAMs dealing with air threats 'cause air threats see constant use and a database is eventually created over time.

If indeed we deploy a BMD shield, that is a major development on par with stuff like commissioning INS Arihant. It's not something that would/could be brushed under a rug. I don't see the need to extrapolate anything wrt possible deployment of these systems.

I'll stick to my guns in saying P1's purpose was largely technology demonstration and that it was never validated against the kind of missiles it would actually have to shoot down from Pakistan - probably because adequate capability wasn't yet developed at that point. So I fail to see the merit in 'deployment' of such an unproven system, and even if it were true, how it is anything but a knee-jerk coping mechanism due to neighbourhood getting heated all of a sudden and S-400 being delayed.

That's nothing to go on really. You have missiles complete with dedicated canisters & camouflaged trucks rolling down Rajpath for missiles like Prahaar, which everyone knows was never inducted or ordered. That doesn't necessarily imply anything.

View attachment 25111

Camo trucks for an official program is not the same as DRDO using the same camo truck for some other non-official program. Tank-Ex?

Like I said to Rajput Lion above, the supposed order worth 358 Cr. is barely enough for maybe a dozen rounds, single digits even. That's more than likely to replenish the various test articles that were fired up till now.

If that is a 'production order', then the plan is to shoot down maybe 3-5 Pakistani BMs at most (considering at least 2 ABMs are sent up for each threat to ensure high kill ratio). That's not a "deployment" by any metric.

We do not know the size of the BDL order. He's just guessing.

All ballistic missiles are capable of varying their parabolic trajectory depending on where the target coordinates are. The "standard altitude" for a BM is estimated based on its maximum range, but just because it can reach a max of say 300 km doesn't mean it will always only hit targets at that distance...it could be anywhere between 300 down to as low as 50 km. The closer the target, the higher the parabola goes, so higher apogee...pretty standard for a BM.

The point is, the 'special altitude' of Prithvi target doesn't necessarily mean it was simulating something else. As a single-stage missile, there's no way for Prithvi to escape the characteristics that come with being a liquid-fueled platform. It cannot simulate the higher energy & velocities of a solid-fuel counterpart.

If at all P1 ABMs were capable of handling the likes of Shaheen-I/II MRBMs (i.e. the main threat from Pak) it wasn't difficult for us to come up with a target platform based on the Agni-1 or Agni-2. But we never tested or validated P1 against such a target - why?

I'm going by what DRDO is saying. As per them, AAD/PDV can defeat any SRBM/MRBM in existence today.

There is no need to test it against an Agni class simply because the Prithvi class can simulate an Agni based on what you already mentioned, ie, changing trajectory. The test missile is based on the Prithvi III, so the second stage can be modified for a different use. The SM-2 and SM-3 use the same first and second stage. It's only the third stage that changes things for the SM-3, and you can see how much of a difference that makes.

If indeed we deploy a BMD shield, that is a major development on par with stuff like commissioning INS Arihant. It's not something that would/could be brushed under a rug. I don't see the need to extrapolate anything wrt possible deployment of these systems.

I'll stick to my guns in saying P1's purpose was largely technology demonstration and that it was never validated against the kind of missiles it would actually have to shoot down from Pakistan - probably because adequate capability wasn't yet developed at that point. So I fail to see the merit in 'deployment' of such an unproven system, and even if it were true, how it is anything but a knee-jerk coping mechanism due to neighbourhood getting heated all of a sudden and S-400 being delayed.

Phase 1 is just Pak-facing BMD infrastructure. Phase 2 is China-facing. You can see it on Google Maps. The radars are simply facing towards the Pak side.

Anyway, 2020.
Asked if the shield is not meant for Mumbai, the country’s financial capital, the top government official quoted above said, “BMD is for Delhi. It is up to the government to decide which other cities will get it.”

It's part of the Delhi Defence Plan, for now. Approval in 2020, with production in 2021 would mean some amount of inductions by now, not counting test articles that can be operationalised due to the emergency situation.

What about davidsling & Arrow series?

Israel's threatened by Iran's SR/MRBMs. They are both AAD/PDV equivalents. Both being newer designs should be more capable. Arrow-3 is said to be similar to PDV as well, ie, 100-150Km ceiling.

Camo trucks for an official program is not the same as DRDO using the same camo truck for some other non-official program. Tank-Ex?

The pic of AAD you posted before is actually from the system's first-ever test done in 2007. There's no way it was a 'user trial' just because it happened with a camo truck. Almost all developmental trials of tactical missiles launch from camo trucks, including latest Pralay on its maiden test.

I'm going by what DRDO is saying. As per them, AAD/PDV can defeat any SRBM/MRBM in existence today.

There is no need to test it against an Agni class simply because the Prithvi class can simulate an Agni based on what you already mentioned, ie, changing trajectory. The test missile is based on the Prithvi III, so the second stage can be modified for a different use. The SM-2 and SM-3 use the same first and second stage. It's only the third stage that changes things for the SM-3, and you can see how much of a difference that makes.

There is no BMD shield in the world that would be validated based on surrogate testing alone. That's good enough for proofs of concept, but not much else.

There's a reason we went for actual HTK against a satellite instead of resorting to a simple Point-in-Space test (which btw would have been so much easier to explain away at the international stage). If you want hard data on which operational systems can be built, you need to do real world testing.

You can bet there will be Pralay & Agni-series TGT missiles being shot out of the sky by AD-1 and AD-2 in the years to come. That's real capability demonstration.

Anyway, 2020.
Asked if the shield is not meant for Mumbai, the country’s financial capital, the top government official quoted above said, “BMD is for Delhi. It is up to the government to decide which other cities will get it.”

It's part of the Delhi Defence Plan, for now. Approval in 2020, with production in 2021 would mean some amount of inductions by now, not counting test articles that can be operationalised due to the emergency situation.

Like I said, I'm not seeing anything to suggest this wasn't a knee-jerk reactionary proposal. Still don't know if GoI actually approved it or not.

It still doesn't change that P1 never really demonstrated the kind of capabilities you need to definitively defend against likes of Shaheen-series though.

Reactions: suryakiran
BMD is for Delhi. It is up to the government to decide which other cities will get it.”

Doesn't solve the purpose of BMD then if it is just for Delhi. Delhi will fall within minutes if rest of the nation falls. keep your BMD in your *** if no whole nation is protected. We don't need BMD. If they make these policies then Indian should rather side with the enemy to f*** these b*stards sitting in Delhi protecting only themselves.

Doesn't solve the purpose of BMD then if it is just for Delhi. Delhi will fall within minutes if rest of the nation falls. keep your BMD in your *** if no whole nation is protected. We don't need BMD. If they make these policies then Indian should rather side with the enemy to f*** these b*stards sitting in Delhi protecting only themselves.
I don't know why you are getting high, when our politician getting billion dollar private jet & while IAF is crying for AWACS, you guys were sleeping. Then why now?

I don't know why you are getting high, when our politician getting billion dollar private jet & while IAF is crying for AWACS, you guys were sleeping. Then why now?

Let these bureaucrats retire from their posts no one will help them and wherver they go people will ignore them. That should be their punishment. Exclude them from this society. More over Politicians of well, these jokers will be haunted by local gali ka gunda once they lose elections.

The pic of AAD you posted before is actually from the system's first-ever test done in 2007. There's no way it was a 'user trial' just because it happened with a camo truck. Almost all developmental trials of tactical missiles launch from camo trucks, including latest Pralay on its maiden test.

Yeah, that's the old PAD test.

Interceptor-takeoff-View-3.jpg

The above is apparently in the final configuration for deployment for AAD.

There is no BMD shield in the world that would be validated based on surrogate testing alone. That's good enough for proofs of concept, but not much else.

There's a reason we went for actual HTK against a satellite instead of resorting to a simple Point-in-Space test (which btw would have been so much easier to explain away at the international stage). If you want hard data on which operational systems can be built, you need to do real world testing.

You can bet there will be Pralay & Agni-series TGT missiles being shot out of the sky by AD-1 and AD-2 in the years to come. That's real capability demonstration.

The Americans test their BMD using a surrogate missile.

The U.S. on Tuesday test-fired its THAAD anti-ballistic missile system from Alaska that successfully intercepted a target missile launched from an Air Force Cargo plane north of Hawaii.

Never heard of an ICBM launched from a C-17.

Your link also says: "threat-representative Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) target"
Yeah basically like LCA mk1.

Lol, no. LCA Mk1 is a failure, so there's Mk1A and Mk2.

For civilian targets, protecting metro cities is the most important. That's where all of our brain power and GDP comes from. Delhi and Mumbai are the topmost priority. Then comes ports, like Chennai and Kolkata, followed by money-makers like Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad. Followed by some important industrial clusters. Everything else can be rebuilt.

If the leadership dies, the country falls. If the country falls, but the leadership survives, the country can be rebuilt. So protecting the leadership is the most important.

Also, deploying BMD is a politically-charged decision. An enemy can attack you pre-emptively simply for deploying one. So the decision has to be made carefully. It's why the US and SU had the ABM Treaty.

Yeah, that's the old PAD test.

View attachment 25130

The above is apparently in the final configuration for deployment for AAD.

I'm yet to see test launch of any tactical missile (i.e. anything that can fit on a 12x12 or smaller vehicle) that doesn't happen from a camo truck.

As you can see, the truck even in this pic of latest AAD config clearly has DRDO markings all over. This is not an Army truck, and this isn't a 'user trial' by any means.

The Americans test their BMD using a surrogate missile.

The U.S. on Tuesday test-fired its THAAD anti-ballistic missile system from Alaska that successfully intercepted a target missile launched from an Air Force Cargo plane north of Hawaii.

Never heard of an ICBM launched from a C-17.

THAAD isn't meant to intercept ICBMs and they never claimed it was.

"THAAD defends against short, medium, and intermediate-range ballistic missiles"

IRBMs is as high as it goes - and that's what the missile launched from C-17's cargo hold was, a solid-fuel IRBM class target missile built by OSC, Northrop & Orbital ATK (bottom row, second from right):

(It was either that or Northrop's own IRBM class target which is also of similar dimensions)

THAAD is a terminal-stage interceptor so the type of launch platform hardly matters - its just the kinematics of the missile during its terminal stage (where it's just the RV tumbling toward target) that matter.

Your link also says: "threat-representative Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) target"

Yeah it was likely this:

Using a Trident-I ICBM boost stage, it can perhaps simulate too well missiles like the DF-31 or JL-2, which are among the longest-ranged types that an AEGIS ship would likely be tasked to intercept during ascent phase.

They didn't test against a 300-km ATACMS and claim it was representative of a Chinese/Russian IRBM or ICBM - which would have been akin to what we're doing.

I'm yet to see test launch of any tactical missile (i.e. anything that can fit on a 12x12 or smaller vehicle) that doesn't happen from a camo truck.

As you can see, the truck even in this pic of latest AAD config clearly has DRDO markings all over. This is not an Army truck, and this isn't a 'user trial' by any means.

As per Delhi Defence Review it was a missile in its final configuration for serial production. I suppose they used the Prahaar launcher for the test, since the Prahaar is a DRDO program, not an official IA program.

THAAD isn't meant to intercept ICBMs and they never claimed it was.

"THAAD defends against short, medium, and intermediate-range ballistic missiles"

IRBMs is as high as it goes - and that's what the missile launched from C-17's cargo hold was, a solid-fuel IRBM class target missile built by OSC, Northrop & Orbital ATK (bottom row, second from right):

(It was either that or Northrop's own IRBM class target which is also of similar dimensions)

THAAD is a terminal-stage interceptor so the type of launch platform hardly matters - its just the kinematics of the missile during its terminal stage (where it's just the RV tumbling toward target) that matter.

Yeah it was likely this:

Using a Trident-I ICBM boost stage, it can perhaps simulate too well missiles like the DF-31 or JL-2, which are among the longest-ranged types that an AEGIS ship would likely be tasked to intercept during ascent phase.

They didn't test against a 300-km ATACMS and claim it was representative of a Chinese/Russian IRBM or ICBM - which would have been akin to what we're doing.

Interesting, so the same rules don't apply to a DRDO made target missile? You're saying a target missile intercepted at MRBM height isn't an MRBM class target?

And does DRDO claiming AAD and PDV have been designed to defeat all SRBM/MRBMs also not count?

That ICBM thing was from your link. And the Pegasus target missile is meant for their GBI tests. You forget that the US does not possess MRBMs or IRBMs, they need to use test missiles.

Anyway this is what Israel uses for their tests.
6ptZDPF.png

51104_blue-sparrow-f-15-rafael_52382.jpg

dp5pBIY.png

Black and Blue Sparrows simulate SRBMs, while Silver Sparrow simulates MRBMs, particularly the Shahab-3 family with a range up to 2000Km. The Silver Sparrow is launched by a C-130.

Unlike the Americans and Israelis who use an aircraft to launch their target missile, our target missile takes off from the ground. What really matters is the final stage, the reentry vehicle. And DRDO's target missile comes in various configurations necessary to simulate different SR and MRBMs. DRDO's target missile is far more capable than the Silver Sparrow due to the need to simulate missiles up to 3000Km.

Anyway, P1 is not a TD. It's a high priority program meant for operational use.

India's ASAT test's actual kill has less to do with technical reasons and more to do with political reasons. India failed to become a nuclear-have due to the failure to test a nuke. The ASAT test firmly puts us in the upcoming space club.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
As per Delhi Defence Review it was a missile in its final configuration for serial production. I suppose they used the Prahaar launcher for the test, since the Prahaar is a DRDO program, not an official IA program.

DRDO intends a lot of stuff for serial production, including Prahaar. Doesn't mean they happen.

Interesting, so the same rules don't apply to a DRDO made target missile? You're saying a target missile intercepted at MRBM height isn't an MRBM class target?

And does DRDO claiming AAD and PDV have been designed to defeat all SRBM/MRBMs also not count?

That ICBM thing was from your link. And the Pegasus target missile is meant for their GBI tests. You forget that the US does not possess MRBMs or IRBMs, they need to use test missiles.

Anyway this is what Israel uses for their tests.
View attachment 25131

51104_blue-sparrow-f-15-rafael_52382.jpg

dp5pBIY.png

Black and Blue Sparrows simulate SRBMs, while Silver Sparrow simulates MRBMs, particularly the Shahab-3 family with a range up to 2000Km. The Silver Sparrow is launched by a C-130.

Unlike the Americans and Israelis who use an aircraft to launch their target missile, our target missile takes off from the ground. What really matters is the final stage, the reentry vehicle. And DRDO's target missile comes in various configurations necessary to simulate different SR and MRBMs. DRDO's target missile is far more capable than the Silver Sparrow due to the need to simulate missiles up to 3000Km.

Not in our case because we use a liquid stage for ascent which means the RV never gets to attain the velocities that would be expected from a Pakistani MRBM. The second stage alone cannot be relied upon if the boost stage doesn't do its job. It's just like a rocket - if the PSLV's first stage fizzles out and gives only about 50-60% of the expected thrust, can the satellite still be orbited? Nope.

The US air-launched IRBM targets use 2 solid fuel stages which is what enables them to simulate the actual velocities of Russian/Chinese missiles of similar range class. The air-launching is more a result of suitable launch pads not being available in a given hemisphere where they might want to conduct a full-range test.

Anyway, P1 is not a TD. It's a high priority program meant for operational use.

We'll see - like I said, such a development, if the decision is actually taken, is not something that can or would be hidden.

India's ASAT test's actual kill has less to do with technical reasons and more to do with political reasons. India failed to become a nuclear-have due to the failure to test a nuke. The ASAT test firmly puts us in the upcoming space club.

You sure there won't be a ban against interceptors that can handle threats above a certain range class? A working BMD i.e. an ability to negate the others' warheads, is as intrinsic to the whole concept of Deterrence as perhaps the bomb itself.

Like I said, now that P2 is in motion, interceptions of actual Agni-class target missiles will undoubtedly happen pretty soon.

For civilian targets, protecting metro cities is the most important. That's where all of our brain power and GDP comes from. Delhi and Mumbai are the topmost priority. Then comes ports, like Chennai and Kolkata, followed by money-makers like Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad. Followed by some important industrial clusters. Everything else can be rebuilt.

Arrey bhaiya to protect Mumbai you need to protect whole of the western and central India its not just that you place the BMD near Khandala and wait the warhead to fly over Mumbai, the gradient of reentry will begin somewhere near Bhopal when fired from Beijing and end at Mumbai. Similar is for Chennai wrt to where the incoming missile is fired from, and same for Kolkata and Delhi.

The Locus needs to be vast bet it endo or exo atmospherics interception, other wise probability of timely interception falls down.

DRDO intends a lot of stuff for serial production, including Prahaar. Doesn't mean they happen.

BMD is an official IAF program. Can't compare it with the Prahaar.

Not in our case because we use a liquid stage for ascent

The target missile is all solid, as are the interceptors. PAD used liquid 'cause it was a TD.

You sure there won't be a ban against interceptors that can handle threats above a certain range class? A working BMD i.e. an ability to negate the others' warheads, is as intrinsic to the whole concept of Deterrence as perhaps the bomb itself.

With the ABM Treaty dead, a new one has to be created from scratch. But since our main threats are from SR/MRBMs and IRBMs, we won't face as much difficulty pushing it through, since countries need it against conventional capability too.

As long as we defang Pakistan, our main nuclear threat, we won't need a more capable BMD, 'cause a global nuclear war will see total destruction of all countries, not just the ones fighting. Nobody has the funds or tech that can reliably stop ICBMs either.

Like I said, now that P2 is in motion, interceptions of actual Agni-class target missiles will undoubtedly happen pretty soon.

Agni I/II class has already been simulated in P1. Agni III/IV/V need a new target missile. It will also be a representative missile, nobody has the kinda money to actually launch an IRBM as a target.

Anyway, time will tell us about P1. Probably as quickly as next year.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
Arrey bhaiya to protect Mumbai you need to protect whole of the western and central India its not just that you place the BMD near Khandala and wait the warhead to fly over Mumbai, the gradient of reentry will begin somewhere near Bhopal when fired from Beijing and end at Mumbai. Similar is for Chennai wrt to where the incoming missile is fired from, and same for Kolkata and Delhi.

The Locus needs to be vast bet it endo or exo atmospherics interception, other wise probability of timely interception falls down.

The interceptors have very high slant ranges, like 300Km for AAD and 2000Km for PDV, lower for BMD. So I suppose the PDV/AD-2 will be able to intercept the warhead long before it reaches the atmosphere well beyond Bhopal.

But since it's a two-tier system, it needs the protection of AAD/AD-1 too, so these have to be localised.

So we will see a few PDV/AD-2 sites for the wider area placed along potential intercept paths and many AAD sites for local protection. The S-400 will also benefit from the protection of the PDV, whereas 40N6 and 48N6 will form the AAD/AD-1 component for the area they protect.

If we assume a missile's doing 1Km/s average at an altitude of 50Km, then it will reach the ground in 50s. Assuming an intercept takes place at 20Km, then the AAD will need to reach the interception spot in less than 30s considering the slant range. So it's not a lot of range, which means the interception will happen right over the target.

BMD is an official IAF program. Can't compare it with the Prahaar.

But what does it have to do with camo trucks though. All these camouflaged trucks are DRDO-owned and are not indicative of any Military participation in of themselves. The use of camo trucks is common to all programs, whether sanctioned or unsanctioned, whether they are maiden test launches or end-user trials.

The target missile is all solid, as are the interceptors. PAD used liquid 'cause it was a TD.

No, on the contrary the target missile is all-liquid. It's basically the same as your regular Prithvi.

The 'second stage' of Prithvi is basically just the tumbling RV with no propulsion of its own, hence is largely irrelevant to our conversation as the missile is solely dependent on the boost stage itself for imparting all the necessary velocity.

This is the target missile, note the "TGT" near nozzle:

Target-722314.JPG

I have not seen any information that would indicate the Prithvi-based TGTs were solid-fueled, please correct me if I'm missing something here.

With the ABM Treaty dead, a new one has to be created from scratch.

So does an ASAT treaty.

Agni I/II class has already been simulated in P1. Agni III/IV/V need a new target missile. It will also be a representative missile, nobody has the kinda money to actually launch an IRBM as a target.

Anyway, time will tell us about P1. Probably as quickly as next year.

Again, I have no idea how a liquid-fueled 250-km SRBM can simulate a solid-fueled 2,000-km MRBM. The weight, thrust, Isp, velocities are worlds apart.

Last edited: