Indian Political Discussion

Bad thing about present political situation is that there not even a distant leader for opposition they can pin their hopes on.

While BJP has plenty of leaders that came from ground, clean and uncompromising, strong some even sharp, Congress if full of sycophants, dynasts and dim young leaders. Not just congress there is no other party that can produce a single leader, all of them infested with sycophants, corrupt and dynasts.

Some spectacular failures were Kejriwal and Akhilesh. Nitish Kumar and Jay Panda already in BJP camp. Mamta Baghdidi is at another level, even in South there is nobody that can be hope for opposition. The best they came out with was Kanhaiya, Jignesh and Hardik who exposed themselves as some petty trolls.

Any other leader I am missing, that can carry India forward or create healthy competition for India?
Let me go so far as to say, I hope & pray the Congress stays out of power at the center for the next 20 years. Just as ABV & LKA and their associates went about building the Jana Sangh & later the BJP around the country after independence, given the apathy , hatred , indifference & possibly weighed against the Juggernaut of the INC , the sheer dwarfing of their ideas - political, social, economic & cultural , apart from open hostility post the assassination of M.K.Gandhi the RW faced in India only to form a government in a coalition under their leadership a full 50 years after Independence, let the Congress build up the party across the nation from the villages , the districts, the states upwards and rejuvenate their organization.

That's how organizations are built. By focussing on nourishment of the roots.

IMG-20190524-WA0003.jpg

I wasn't the biggest fan when he was first appointed, but I must say he's growing on me. He's probably exactly the type of leader UP (and even Bihar) needs. And I like how direct and blunt he is; none of the slimy politician bullshit.

I guess you just can't take the Thakur out of a man, even after he becomes a Yogi :ROFLMAO:

• Agree
Reactions: Bali78 and Gautam
A lot of Sufi Sunnis do support Modi. It's the Deobandis who are the problem.

Honestly, Muslims are Muslims. It's just that Shias are such a small minority compared to Sunnis, and so historically persecuted and marginalized, that they get along with us much better (and are also generally more progressive & better adjusted). Otherwise even amongst Shias there are Owaisis.

As for your point on Sufis, I don't rule it out, but Im not aware of that being a huge factor (maybe it's location specific?) - but I'm open to more info if you have it.

Because while today we may think of Sufis as peaceful people who dance and sing; historically many of them (including their Peer Babas who we stupidly build mazaars for and visit in spirit of secularism) ran the worst and most aggressive coerced conversion campaigns.

North Indians voted Yogiji...nuff said.....
Yes. But do you know something very interesting? Even in the days of Lord Rama and Pandavas, Kerala and TN were not part of their kingdom but were allies only. They were independent even in those days. They have remained like that till date. Modi will saffornise entire India, but these two states will remain the way they are.

Yes. But do you know something very interesting? Even in the days of Lord Rama and Pandavas, Kerala and TN were not part of their kingdom but were allies only. They were independent even in those days. They have remained like that till date. Modi will saffornise entire India, but these two states will remain the way they are.

In the days of Lord Rama and Pandavas people elected Lord Rama and Pandavas as rulers....not yogi

well it's true. South Indians being more educated don't vote for just anybody.

They voted for congress. Don't confuse literacy with education.

Bengal, Odisha and Telangana will see huge BJP growth in the next Assembly Polls.

I can vouch with some authority for Orissa. Been living there for a while :/
Naveen Patnaik enjoys a good reputation and for good reasons. However after his 5 terms he will more or less be a spent force. He isn't married and has no heir (except a self promoting bhanja/bhatija). After him, BJD will self implode. conducive condition for a BJP takeover. So next assembly we might see a BJP govt. Fair chance.

Ripe candidates for ghar wapasi. Let me make some calls.

Honestly, Muslims are Muslims. It's just that Shias are such a small minority compared to Sunnis, and so historically persecuted and marginalized, that they get along with us much better (and are also generally more progressive & better adjusted). Otherwise even amongst Shias there are Owaisis.

As for your point on Sufis, I don't rule it out, but Im not aware of that being a huge factor (maybe it's location specific?) - but I'm open to more info if you have it.

Because while today we may think of Sufis as peaceful people who dance and sing; historically many of them (including their Peer Babas who we stupidly build mazaars for and visit in spirit of secularism) ran the worst and most aggressive coerced conversion campaigns.
Historically, the Sufis were an armed proselytizing lot. Owaisi isn't a Shia to the best of my knowledge. Jinnah was one.So were the Aga Khan & the Raja of Mahmudabad - the principal advocate & financier of the ML respectively. And the Ahmeddiyas were in the forefront of the Pakistan movement.

While the BJP is actively courting the Shias - whether the Ithna Ashariyas or the Twelevers - the largest sect of Shias in India or the world from the North, principally from UP Or the Bohra Muslims & the Nizari Ismailis - different sects of Shias principally from Gujarat & Western India , it's difficult to estimate the traction BJP enjoys with the community. Except for anecdotal and circumstantial evidence, we have little at hand to go by in terms of detailed studies. Ditto for the women voters who were expected to vote the BJP in significant nos given the BJP's stance on the TT issue.

I, for a fact know a few Muslims ( no supporter of Modi or the BJP) who've voted for the BJP this elections solely because they didn't want to waste their vote and wanted to see stability / continuity. A lot of this also stems from the personal popularity of the candidate and the rapport he / she shares with the local Muslim populace in his / her constituency.

Having said that, the margins and scale of victory enjoyed by the BJP in the North or West of India wouldn't be possible without a significant participation of the Muslims voting for the BJP. Exactly how much does it translate to in terms of numbers is something we should expect detailed studies on.