LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

NNice -- What specific LRUs is CTTC Bhubaneshwar is making for the LCA?
Hard to tell really. When we see the aircraft, we see the externals, not the internals. So its a bit hard to know the appearance of individual LRUs. I've seen a lot of things being made for HAL, but I could not identify them. I am pretty sure some of them weren't for fighters but for helos, so there is that.
But I can tell you that the air-brakes of the Tejas are manufactured there. I've seen it being worked on by a 12 axis CNC machine. The machine was probably a MX-12. Other than that I've seen brake pads, jet starter, gear sets, some random metal braided hoses etc.
Also i have lost count - at what Stage of production is the LCA in ie how many nos.???? SP16 was completed when?
I've lost count too. @randomradio knows.
When will our FOC LCA will fly?
If SP-16 is the final aircraft of the IOC configuration, then whatever follows after that should be the first of the FOC configuration. It seems they are building multiple aircrafts at the same time. If that's true the initial lead time would remain the same but the follow up time would greatly improve. The first FOC should fly off the production line in a few months. But this is just my take, don't take it seriously.

Reactions: GuardianRED
Ninda Turtle is ready :

1568873552822.png

And he is off :

1568873649752.png
1568873692852.png
1568873766781.png

And just like that he has landed, wow that was quick :

Reactions: Sulla84
Also i have lost count - at what Stage of production is the LCA in ie how many nos.???? SP16 was completed when?

IIRC, 4 to 6 are in the final stages of assembly. The rest are all in different stages. The original delivery date for all 16 was March 2020, with first delivery scheduled in October 2019, but I don't think those dates are gonna be realistic. They have given themselves some room until December to deliver the first of the FOC jets. It's progressing well though.

SP-16 was completed in March.

IIRC, 4 to 6 are in the final stages of assembly. The rest are all in different stages. The original delivery date for all 16 was March 2020, with first delivery scheduled in October 2019, but I don't think those dates are gonna be realistic. They have given themselves some room until December to deliver the first of the FOC jets. It's progressing well though.

SP-16 was completed in March.

All 40 would be delivered before 2023

There will be No work for several months because MK 1 A serial production will be delayed

All 40 would be delivered before 2023

There will be No work for several months because MK 1 A serial production will be delayed

Not necessarily.

Mid 2021 : 16 FOC
Mid 2022 : 8 trainers or 18 trainers... I'm sure HAL has worked out something on this front.
Mid 2023 : First set of Mk1As.

So yeah, we may see underutilisation of the production line for a few months.

Reactions: GuardianRED
These prices are valid for the period 2023 onwards till 2028 or 2029 , ie till all 83 are made

Delivery will go on until 2028-29 if it's just 16 pa. But I'm sure HAL will push it to 24 pa. And if you include the Kiran hangar, then we will get 3 pa extra from there.

HAL plans to get an additional order of 3 squadrons beyond 123 jets, that's why it makes sense for them to boost the production line to 24-27 pa.

What will be the cost of Gripen E in 2028

Can't really compare the 2 jets though.

MWF is far more suitable for comparison. Gotta see the price difference between the two jets then.

Obviously wouldn't agree with anything said there.

Mk2 is very important if we want to see AMCA succeed. Anyway, Mk2 will hit the produciton line at least by 2026 or so, and we will have 10 years to produce it before AMCA becomes available. So these jets are not in contention. If Mk2 fails, then we will have to go in for Gripen E anyway. It's not AMCA vs Mk2.

And for all this talk of China and their 5th gen jets, we need PAK FA, period. AMCA is too far away, barely even exists on paper right now.

The article is basically condemning the IAF to a disaster. If we cancel MWF and MMRCA, then that's the end of the air force as a viable force. The author makes no mention of alternatives.

• Agree
Reactions: Austerlitz
Delivery will go on until 2028-29 if it's just 16 pa. But I'm sure HAL will push it to 24 pa. And if you include the Kiran hangar, then we will get 3 pa extra from there.

HAL plans to get an additional order of 3 squadrons beyond 123 jets, that's why it makes sense for them to boost the production line to 24-27 pa.

Can't really compare the 2 jets though.

MWF is far more suitable for comparison. Gotta see the price difference between the two jets then.

Are you sure that this huge price of 75 million per plane includes everything and not just flyaway,because if 75 mil is base price we are *censored*ed.HAL has totally torpedoed us.

Are you sure that this huge price of 75 million per plane includes everything and not just flyaway,because if 75 mil is base price we are *censored*ed.HAL has totally torpedoed us.

Yeah.

No chance for the base price to be $70M when IOC version was just $26M. It's the same jet.